Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Spanish Paperwork   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Pimientito

Spanish Paperwork 

This is for Simon, kate and anyone who has had to deal with Paperwork in Spain at any time. I think its the same in Greece and Italy too. Its funny because its closer to truth than comedy.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 9:38:12

Kate

RE: Spanish Paperwork (in reply to Pimientito

God that made me laugh, but a rye sort of sinking feeling laughter having spent the last year trying to get the right paperwork to have my roof fixed. Only yesterday I had the surveyor, the builder, the architect and the director of the Oficina de rehabilitacion at my house explaining that although half the work done was done as it needed to be done and had been authorised by them it was actually illegal as we did not have the right paperwork, which ironically they had organised ! Our new chimney is also illegal, but when I pointed this out they said, yes but these new metal ones are so much better I wouldnt worry about it.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 10:27:28

Escribano

Oh yeah, excellent film.

This was me applying for my Residencia in Motríl. One of many examples.

"Sorry Señor, I have Elizabeth as your middle name and that does not match your passport."
"How did that happen?"
"I just typed it in."
"But where did you get Elizabeth from?"
"The computer suggested it."
"So you confused Elizabeth with Jonathan? Anyway, Elizabeth is a girl's name."
"Is it your Mother's name?"
"Could be. Would that make any difference?"
"No. You will have to come back when it is corrected"
"But why can't you correct it?"
"Only Granada can do that. Come back in two weeks"
"But this is my second visit already, because the form does not say anything about producing two photographs or a specific size AND the receipt from the shop where they were taken AND stapling them to the form"
"I am sorry, Señor. Next!"

I never went back. They still think my middle name is Elizabeth, I guess.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 10:32:42

El Kiko

whaaaaaa so cool and so true ....
In Cordoba the post office decided my middle name (Martin) was my surname and so filed all my letters in the lista de correios under M < i didnt get any letters for months until I discovered this and then got them all at once....
Then in another place they decided I didn't have any surname at all on my (English) birth certificate, as we presume it is the same as the fathers, but it only has a box to write in if it is different from his , but not the same ,,,,
They said "Show me on here where it says your surname , not his , ?/ '
actually they got a point , have a look at yours.....
and Then getting married in Portugal I had to produce a "certificate of eligibility" which is something that says I am not already married.....where the hell do you get that from? .....unless you have been divorced .......
That was a great argument that one, in a government office I finally said " I'm not leaving until you stamp this, you' better get you supervisor or call the police" ....
Eventually He reluctantly relented ,,,

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 12:02:36

Kate

RE: Spanish Paperwork (in reply to El Kiko

Yeah my husband gets called Don Stuart. I wondered who the hell they were talking about !! I have given up now and always put my middle name as my first surname to stop the confusion.

Back to my countless horrendous roof stories. I was told on the phone by a government office that I did not have 4 floors to my house. I said, well I do, in fact I am sitting in my office on the fourth floor right now talking to you. No, they said, that is not possible.

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 12:10:02

XXX

Is the bureaucracy in Spain more severe than in UK?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 12:14:07

Kate

RE: Spanish Paperwork (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

Is the bureaucracy in Spain more severe than in UK?

Absolutely yes. Paperwork in the UK is far more simple, you get information on every form in a multitude of languages outlining the things you need to do. In Spain you have to rely on what you are told by the officials, none of who seem to agree with each other.

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 13:02:40

Escribano

RE: Spanish Paperwork (in reply to Kate

quote:

I said, well I do, in fact I am sitting in my office on the fourth floor right now talking to you. No, they said, that is not possible.

My third floor? Legally built, illegal to inhabit

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 13:07:51

Kate

RE: Spanish Paperwork (in reply to Escribano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano
My third floor? Legally built, illegal to inhabit

I bet you couldnt even knock it down and leave a roof terrace up there. Mind you legislation on terraces has gone mad as well. There is a village in Jaen which actually forbids them !

My fourth floor was built over a hundred years ago when there was no such thing as planning regs, in fact the new regs only came in 5 years ago so shouldnt even apply to old builds. Apparantly we are not allowed to change anything in the house, even if it is broken we can only fix it. And that is supposed to be taking care of the UNESCO protected Albaicin. Total madness.

Originally we had a false ceiling in the top floor, as is legally required. However when I told the surveyor, who has the power to approve whatever he wants it seems, that we had to replace the false ceiling and cover up the old beams, he said why on earth would you want to do that ? So we now have a lovely and illegal high ceiling.

Meanwhile a house on San Miguel Bajo has been built with the permitted 2 storeys, however they are so big the house is higher than all the 4 storey buildings around it ! All the neighbours have complained but nothing is being done. I am guessing the owner has friends in high places.

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 14:23:47

Escribano

RE: Spanish Paperwork (in reply to Kate

quote:

I bet you couldnt even knock it down and leave a roof terrace up there

That is correct. Stupid isn't it? Mind you, in England they are using satellites to check on us. If we are seen to improve the house, they raise our council tax. How about that?

quote:

And that is supposed to be taking care of the UNESCO protected Albaicin

Try Bath - the whole city is UNESCO protected

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 14:47:58

Richard Jernigan

My university room mate is a brilliant engineer who has lived in Munich since the 1960s. For many years his office was in Rotterdam, while he was an engineering vice president of Cyanamid International.

His many accomplishments include the introduction of carbon composite control surfaces on the first Airbus, the Boeing 777, the Eurofighter, and convincing Ferrari to be the last of the major Formula I contenders to go to composite monocoque construction, while the Commendatore was still in charge--and many others. If you use a carbon composite tennis racquet or skis, or fly in a helicopter with honeycomb rotor blades, you have Tom to thank.

When he and his son would stay with us on his annual 30-day trip to the USA, he would complain bitterly about having to travel to Italy.

One year he changed his tune. He praised Italian cuisine, spoke of the many good friends he had made there, etc. I asked him what had changed.

He replied, "One night I got back to Munich, and had to fill out my expense report to submit the next day before taking off on another trip. Too tired to make up a fictional account, I simply wrote 200 Euros: Bribe. I decided to see how the stodgy Dutch accountants would react. It sailed right through. Ever since, I have enjoyed my trips to Italy."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2011 21:52:42

Anders Eliasson

Burocracy in Spain is like Franz Kafka´s the Process. You cannot understand it.

The thing is that Spain is different. The law is for politicians and burocrats, not for people. This means that you should always try to do things without consulting burocracy. When are doing work on our house, we dont ask. We do it illegaly. Everyone does so if its not a really major work. Changing windows, doors, building rooms, even changing roof is normally done without a licence.

I´ve been in contact with Spanish burocracy in other aspects. I´ve imported a caravan. It was pretty simple here in Huelva (and also in Granada) but in other parts of Spain its basically impossible.

Dont build yourself a boat in Spain following the rules. Its EXTREMELY complicated and costy compared to other EU countrys.

On the other hand, Sole and made a registred relationship (Not married, just registered) and because she knew where to push the button, we only needed about 1 fourth of the papers that the Danish embassy told me, that according to Spanish laws, was nescessary.

When you buy things from outside EU, if you buy small quantity, (strings, tuners etc,) and you have it posted with normal post, you dont normally pay VAT, but if you use a delivery service like DHL, it always ends up in costums and then its really troublesom and expensive to get your goods.

Every little village has its own burocracy, with way to many people employed. Every little village is in debth.
And so is it all the way through. Its a really lousy working society. But noone cares. Thats VERY spanish

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2011 8:29:57

Pimientito

RE: Spanish Paperwork (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Well Spain has one of the largest Bureaucracies in Europe. Something like 40 percent of the Spanish work force are civil servants. Franco put in in place to provide employment at a time when there were very little jobs. This means that someone who used to stamp and signs a piece of paper now has one person signing and another person stamping it, while the citizen has to queue up twice instead of once. Imagine this on a giant scale applying to everything from registering a car to getting a water contract. Even joining a video club requires 4 forms of ID here.
Its very antequated and self serving, and it gets in the way of ordinary people trying to get things done. Its also the reason why people give up trying to start legal activities here.
I mean anyone in a Northern country would find it impossible to imagine applying for permission to change a door!
As Anders says its easier to do things illegally and pay the fine rather than go through the proper processes. If Spain is to be competitive in Europe it needs to streamline a great deal of this nonsense and give start up incentives and contract reform to small businesses

I find Terry Gilliams vision of Bureaucracy dangerously close to the reality.

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2011 9:38:00

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

Well Spain has one of the largest Bureaucracies in Europe. Something like 40 percent of the Spanish work force are civil servants.

It's incredibly when you see it like that in black and white 40 % in admin, with jobs for life probably and passing them down to their children. I know the director for social services, you can find him in his office 'nueva bodega' every morning

The whole system is designed to confuse there is a special official called un gestor whose sole job is to help people get through paperwork. I love my gestor

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2011 10:25:08

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I love my gestor

We never use one. Besides, where I live, everyone is doing reforms of their houses illegally. No fines.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2011 16:13:04

bluesbuster

A while ago I read somewhere that in order to do any renovations in Venice the best way was to just get it done without a permit. I believe it was for interior work, all exterior changes had to go through a mandatory approval process. Having completer the work, the owner would then go to the permits bureau and confess, preferably play innocence and ignorance. Paying the fine for not having a permit was cheaper and easier than to get the permit in the first place.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2011 17:07:07

Pimientito

RE: Spanish Paperwork (in reply to bluesbuster

Italian bureaucracy is probably about as convoluted as Spain although i never lived there long enough to experience it personally.
On a weekend visit to Venice some years ago I remember that the mayor of Venice used to be nicknamed "Ali Baba" by the local residents because the town hall had so many thieves.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2011 20:16:57

Escribano

Ouch, I have an English example fresh from today. I find out that they have been taxing me on a company fuel allowance that I didn't receive, for the past three years.

I inform my employer who tells the Revenue who then tell me (5 days ago because they have the wrong address) that I have been receiving a fuel benefit and that I owe them £2000 to be paid by today or my reasons why it should not be paid, or else.

In fact, they owe me at least £3000 by my estimate and that of my employer. So I write a letter explaining, with my proper address and send it registered and tracked to arrive at least by today before 1pm.

Cost me £5.

Guess what, the Royal Mail (another stinking public rip-off) tell me the letter has been diverted to another address and they cannot tell me when it will be delivered or where. Took my £5 though.

I have proof of sending but not what I sent, so now the Revenue can start fining me and charging interest on a debt I do not owe because they diverted it to another address. Probably to a dumpster out the back.

Sick of our tax grabbing governments, all too happy to fritter it away on illegal wars, endless traffic lights, shmucks who can't get out of bed and slappers who can't keep their legs crossed because they are drunk, face down in a litter bin looking for their doner kebab.

Truly, they are killing wealth generation stone dead in this country.

Now I am going to have to get a tax accountant to screw them as much as they can with every loophole in the book plus some interest on lost funds.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2011 21:02:55
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote