Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Free gigs?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

XXX

Free gigs? 

From those of you who have made them already, could we please discuss whether they pay off... someday, somehow, in any way?
Im not a pro, but it still takes time to work out a program, not to mention all the rehearsals to perfect the material. Its not just the 20 mins - 1 hour at the gig. Its the month long preparation beforehand that is consuming so much time.

Do you have experienced that they pay off in any way, ie that a gig turned from "free" to a regular paid gig? Or did you experienced that it was good advertisement? Or do you think that nobody should agree on free gigs, no matter how bad or inexperienced they are?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 11:26:00

XXX

RE: Free gigs? (in reply to XXX

Nevermind, i just declined a gig for the first time. I used to accept free gigs, just for the stage experience of it. But now i have come to the conclusion that they dont pay off for me.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 18:06:53

koenie17

I don´t think free gigs will ever turn into regular paid gigs...
so if you personaly don´t gain anything, just don´t do it!
I acompany a dance class for free, the guitarist, the dancers are very profesional and I learn more then ever with them. Also they have various singers male and female.
So for me it´s a great opurtunity. but again, if you don´t get anything out of it or just don´t feel like it, just don´t!

saludos
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 18:42:38

Elie

I think free gigs may give you reputation and fans whom will become handy when you make a charged gig

just an idea ... maybe if you are ready to perform a 1 hour gig ...
make a 15 minutes free gig as a promo for your big gig ... and then the 1 hour gig will be not free.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 19:22:05

XXX

RE: Free gigs? (in reply to Elie

Well if someone wants to have demo material i can send him video and audio from former gigs. Actually no, coz i have deleted everything, but in theory i could get hold of older recordings.

I would really like to believe you, but i am more interested in concrete numbers: how many free gigs have you guys all done and what did you get in return for that. 3 free = 1 paid gig?
Im interested in what concrete experience people have made with free gigs and whether they think they paid off for them.

In my opinion, the only "reputation" you get when playing free gigs is that you are getting known as someone whos willing to gig for free. It is also my opinion that if people want music but dont wanna pay, they should just use CDs. Easy enough solution.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2011 19:59:53
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote