Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes DVD by La Sonanta   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Munin

Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes DVD b... 

This completely passed me by but apparently La Sonanta published a bunch of DVD lessons with Paco Fernandez.

https://www.lasonanta.eu/en/flamenco-clases-de-guitarra-dvd-partituras/flamenco-guitar-maestro-classes.html

Apparently they are 2 hours per DVD, come with a transcription book and are reasonably priced (45 euro).

I don't even know how long these have been out for, so..does anybody have them?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2011 6:18:43

bursche

RE: Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes D... (in reply to Munin

The way he is pronouncing the artists names is priceless

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2011 9:54:19

Stu

yeah ive had my eye on these.
was hoping youd written a reiview actually...but alas!

theres something i dont like about this promo vid for this dvd..the dudes voice is way to formal and serious or something. know what i mean?

i may buy one of these still tho
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2011 15:15:54

Munin

I am still deciding between this and the Encuentro Miguel Angel Cortes...I would really like to know how much of the Fernandez DVDs is fluff material i.e. interviews etc. as mentioned in the description.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2011 15:34:46

XXX

From what i read, the MAC Encuentro has no slowed down videos, which is suboptimal for a tuition DVD. Paco Fernandez, you probably get less guitar material, but more of a full picture, with cante accomp and interviews.
I found the ad was very nice, it made me want to buy the DVD although i have enough stuff already that i never worked on.

I like Paco Fernandez' material a bit more than MAC so i think i would pick that DVD.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2011 16:30:29

gounaro

I find this method more useful than Encuentro Miguel Angel Cortes... I already have Encuentro Cortes. Very nice playing by him but it doesnt have the... aire. (My opinion). Professional work which is not for me!

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2011 17:58:29

dararith

These came out recently (Jan 30th 2011) and I had already pre-ordered mine since I saw the video and was really hyped. I got it shipped all over to the US and just received them last week. I have both Volume 1 and 2. The material and content is actually less than what I imagined. There's technique section which only covers basic and intermediate. Basic has guitar posture, right/left hand positions, basic picado, basic rasgueado (just positioning, not actually different styles of rasgueado--i.e. NOT how to amii, iai, pmp, etc), pulgar. The intermediate section is actually a really cool exercise that uses arpeggio and picado techniques...but that's all for the intermediate section--a slow and fast version. There isn't an advance technique section either.

With actual content, it's just Paco playing two pieces total: a Solea por Buleria and a Buleria (Vol 1) and Alegria and Seguiriya (for Vol 2). The book is simply just a transcription of it, with a little introduction to flamenco in the first couple of pages.

I'm also already noticing a couple of minor differences from what Paco Fernandez plays and what's translated by Rezar in the book...but it still sounds the same.

Overall, I'm guessing for the price, it's very fair, especially when compared to the Encuentro videos. I do find the encuentro videos more helpful and it also has more guitar content. Although the only difference I see here is that they have short interview clips, Paco visiting his luthier, talk about his family, and concert playing--you don't see really see that in the encuentro videos.

3/5 stars!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2011 19:02:14

kudo

I just got Volumes 1 and 2 last week, and I have to say that I am very disappointed.

I think it was only meant for very advanced players. I expected to see techniques lessons and things like that, but there was very little of this. when you watch the promoting video, it makes you think that this the most useful thing you will be getting, but it is not.

he only has videos of him playing his pieces slowly with multiple camera angles, THAT IS IT. NO COMPAS TRACK in the background or anything in his "teaching video".
They only have compas and numbers on the screen when he plays with the other musicians the full thing as AUDIO ONLY.

the only good thing I have to say, is the book is just an accurate transcription of his concert pieces.

I would NOT recommend this book if you are a beginner or intermediate.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2011 1:18:42

Tomaficionado

I received the volumes 1 and 2 about 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with these classes. Still have to learn a lot, started about a year ago on my own and the beginners section explaining right and left hand position were very helpful for me, did it completely wrong. I like a lot the singing by Paco with subtitled letras, never saw this before. I highly value the compass moving around on the CD track and both hands playing slowly in one split screen really make it easy for me to learn and practice. Do enjoy a lot the quite personal interviews and stage acts, brings me in the right atmosphere, always start watching this.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2011 11:35:16

rombsix

I've been confused for many years thinking why on Earth Paco Fernandez, who I know is a great flamenco guitarist, plays stuff like this:

I mean, he is an unorthodox flamenco, but I thought it was too much. Apparently, there are TWO guitarists called Paco Fernandez. The one that La Sonanta did a DVD with is the flamenco one, versus this other one:

http://vimeo.com/24192951

This other one mostly does this sort of music in Ibiza or whatnot. I was in Ibiza a few years back (yes - partying and whatnot) and I walked next to a cafe that said they had Paco Fernandez! I wanted to buy a 40-Euro ticket and attend whatever he was offering, but then my friends convinced me that we should go to some club instead. I obliged, and now I realize, thank God I didn't buy that ticket!

(reminds me of Richard Jernigan stories... )

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2011 18:11:48

RTC

So what would be the sequence of the Encuentro series of DVD on a scale from bigginer to advance? In other words witch would you reccomend for a bigginer, intermidiate and advance?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2011 23:56:35

Doitsujin

Sorry to be that negative again guys, but from my contact I had with P Fernandez I must say, he behaved like douche who loves himself too much. I would not buy any of his products.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2011 0:20:07

kudo

RE: Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes D... (in reply to RTC

I would say the DVD is more for the advanced and intermediate.
I slightly agree with Doit, he is self-centered (as in he promotes himself too much on facebook) but he plays with his heart and is very emotional and sensitive . to me, he looks like a nice pure heart person.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2011 1:44:46

aleksi

I agree with kudo. He was performing in Helsinki couple of years back and after the show I talked briefly with him and he seemed to be very heartful person. My friend took a private lesson from him and told that he was a good teacher and really wanted that my friend learns so not just showing something and taking money.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2011 9:40:42

KMMI77

I really like his playing as an accompanist. I have a video of him playing with his family when he was quite young. His playing there is really raw and powerful. Not too many falsetas and really strong accompaniment.

Now that his playing is more polished I don't get the same vibe from his music. I guess that happens to everyone. As we progress our styles keep evolving.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2011 11:13:33

mark indigo

RE: Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes D... (in reply to XXX

quote:

From what i read, the MAC Encuentro has no slowed down videos, which is suboptimal for a tuition DVD

seeing as this thread has resurrected, i have seen this vid, not to study in detail but just to watch, and there are slow speed (as well as normal speed) versions of all the stuff in the first half of the vid - solea in E, G# and D#, tangos in A and C#, and bulerias in A, C# and D#, and tarantas, granainas and malagueñas.

The second half of the vid is full concert pieces, transcribed in the book but only normal speed in vid.

quote:

I would really like to know how much of the Fernandez DVDs is fluff material i.e. interviews etc. as mentioned in the description.

I have seen the Paco Fernandez vids too. again, i haven't sat down and studied the dvd's, but have had a quick look.

the interviews etc. are semi-interesting to watch once.... and repeated the same in both vids

There are 2 complete concert pieces in each vid, all of them tracks from his cd.

The "beginners" section is just some stuff about sitting, holding the guitar and hand position. and it is repeated in both dvd's. The intermediate section is a sort of practise study thing, again same in both dvd's. so it looks like you don't get much and it's mostly advanced....

but

What you do get is the concert pieces/cd tracks in 4or 5 versions.

first the track from the actual cd with a compas number thing blipping along on screen, then a slower version of PF playing face to the camera fairly close, than another even slower version in split screen close up of both hands. also a close up of him playing and singing the letras from the tracks that have them. lastly there is also a version of him playing more or less the same "piece" live in a concert with cajon and singer (not identical obviously). Anyone who wants to study technique can lift the scales, arpegios, rasgeos, etc. etc. from the slow versions to practise....

so it seems like you don't get much material (compared to Encuentro), but what you do get you get you get in a lot of detail and in several different speed versions (more than Encuentro).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2011 9:25:31

orsonw

RE: Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes D... (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

I really like his playing as an accompanist...... His playing there is really raw and powerful.

So do I. Like many flamencos whose live performance really move me, recorded material leaves me cold because of cheesy production.

Here he is performing live with his sister

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2011 21:20:32

orsonw

RE: Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes D... (in reply to orsonw

quote:

Miguel Angel Cortes

Well as he is mentioned on the thread also, here he is with Esperanza. I really admire this alegrias in Mi, it's exhuberant but remains profound.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2011 21:28:15

KMMI77

RE: Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes D... (in reply to orsonw

quote:

Here he is performing live with his sister

Yep, That's what I'm talking about. Actually i prefer Esperanza back then as well. If they recorded an album like this i would enjoy it much more. Esperanzas CD has a lot of music that's not to my taste. The Buleria on her album is cool though :-)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2011 21:37:30

Paul Magnussen

RE: Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes D... (in reply to RTC

quote:

So what would be the sequence of the Encuentro series of DVD on a scale from bigginer to advance? In other words witch would you reccomend for a bigginer, intermidiate and advance?

The two Merengue de Córdoba DVDs are aimed at relative beginners; he was the teacher of Vicente Amigo, José Antonio Rodríguez & Paco Serrano.

From there to any of the others is a biggish jump. I would say Paco Serrano’s would be the best bet. I find that also one of the most musical, along with Chicuelo’s.

I haven’t seen Miguel Angel Cortés’s.

Hope this helps.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2011 22:43:35

RTC

RE: Paco Fernandez Maestro Classes D... (in reply to Paul Magnussen

Thank You, Paul.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2011 17:43:13

elroby

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 5 2012 4:19:17
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2011 21:24:06
Page:   [1]