Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: How to practice 'performing on stage'?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: How to practice 'performing on s... (in reply to sig

Actually, I remember asking (for fun really) a question to Paco Peña about.."What would you do if you totally screwed up or forgot something in the middle of a concert?"

He said, "I think the audience would be very embarrassed..."

A strange answer I thought...since I was only 19 or so at the time...

Actually THAT is closer to the truth than anything else IMO.

Everybody wants to see their idols and heros succeed.

So therefore, screwing up just makes THEM uncomfortable at YOU screwing up...

Not because they hate you or anything...just 'cos you've let their expectations down.

That's why you mustn't screw up, or at least practise to recover easily from such situations, as the professionals do.

Any audience you play for is actually WITH you and rootin' you on..NOT there to "judge" you or condemn you.

That's my view anyway...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2011 19:53:48

avimuno

RE: How to practice 'performing on s... (in reply to Ron.M

Thanks a lot for the advice guys!

I think that it's really down to confidence. I don't feel confident yet playing flamenco in public.
I had the same problem when I was still playing electric guitar... until I fell good about my technique and sound and then it became automatic and I started having a lot of fun on stage.
I'm not there yet with my flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2011 4:44:57

avimuno

RE: How to practice 'performing on s... (in reply to Ron.M

I just read a recent interview of Rafael Riqueni and that's what he says about playing live:

quote:

The other day my hands were shaking a lot at the beginning, but little by little I felt much better on stage.

For some reason it made me feel better about my hands shaking on stage! lol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2011 4:21:02

davidheis_24

RE: How to practice 'performing on s... (in reply to avimuno

try visualising how the night will go a few times in your head, by the time you actually do it you will be more used to the situation, so hopfully be abit more relaxed! but youll get better with experience

or try beta blockers!!!! yeeeehoooo!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2011 10:26:06

Florian

quote:

I just read a recent interview of Rafael Riqueni and that's what he says about playing live:

quote:

The other day my hands were shaking a lot at the beginning, but little by little I felt much better on stage.

For some reason it made me feel better about my hands shaking on stage! lol

...and then u make a little mistake ...stop , put the guitar on the chair.. light up a cigarette on stage and pace up and down talking to yourself and looking over at it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2011 19:17:08

jlneng

A few tips:
When you are feeling nervous, try deep breathing,in through your nose, out through the mouth.

Make your first piece an easy one. I always start with a solea.

Start with a slower than usual meter. You can always speed up and no one will notice, but if you start too fast due to nervousness or excitement and screw up everyone will notice.

I like to look at the audience. Avoiding eye contact negatively reinforces your fears. Besides, seeing people smile reacting to your music is the best positive reinforcement there is. When I see that people are happy it makes me happy and the nervousness is gone.

Play your hardest and best stuff after you are over the stress and are warmed up. Sitting down and trying to play your best without a warm up is unrealistic. The audience will always remember what you finished with, rarely will they remember what you started with.

My 2 cents....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2011 21:39:55
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote