Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

The challenge issued by my school teacher   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

cRobson12

The challenge issued by my school t... 

Hey everyone, I don't really know how to start the explanation for this so I will try my best.

I am in my graduating year for highschool and semester 2 just started and I only have one course for the rest of this semester which is manufacturing technology. My wood working teacher has become a good friend and I have known him since my minor years and I have been building and working with wood along side and under his eye for quite some time. Anyways, he talked to me today and issued me "challenge" so to speak.

He asked me if I wanted to build a guitar, and that I would be the very first to do so in all of his years of teaching. I have played for him before so he knows that I am into flamenco and what not (which is why he asked me if I wanted to do this). He told me if I am up for the challenge he would pay for all of wood that I need, and of course I said I would try my best. Also he says that I have excellent wood working skills which is always a plus.

I did a lot of research today and I have concluded that my shop class has almost everything that I need to build the guitar (tools and machines), except for the machine that uses heat to bend the sides. So I will have to go out of my way to find one. I would also have to build the jigs and the solera.

I am aware of how hard something like this is, I have almost 6 months and 7 hours a day 5 times a week to work on this and even If I don't finish I will have the summer to do it. What do you guys think? Do you think I will be able to do it?

Of course my eyes are set on making a flamenco guitar, so I will have to purchase the plans. Any recommendations on which one I should purchase?

If this challenge gets into action I will be posting pictures a long the way. I have already found a few books online about classical guitar building. I have no knowledge of luthier work so I will be asking a lot of questions along the way.

Feel free to post anything relevant, ideas, comments, etc. I will anything you guys have to say!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 3:51:47

cRobson12

RE: The challenge issued by my scho... (in reply to cRobson12

After some more research, it looks like I can buy the solera from lafalseta. What do you guys think?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 4:03:56

Sean

You can find the Santos Hernandez plan on the net, it is a basic 7 fan design probably the easiest to start with. The only thing missing from most plans and from books on classical guitar construction is proper neck angle setup which is very different from classical guitars. Knowing how the doming of the top, desired string height above the top and desired action(string height from first and 12th fret all relate is mandatory before assembly begins. Good luck on your build, just be warned it's very addictive
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 4:59:54

Stephen Eden

I wish I could have done something like this at school. I was only allowed to do something that wasn't that interesting to me.

Well as Sean said the main thing is getting the guitar geometry correct. If you are getting the solera from la falseta that work will be done for you.

Get your self a plan to follow. The Santos plan as mentioned is simpe to follow and can pretty much be turned into anything you want by adding to it.

What materials are you looking to build? spruce cypress?

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 9:11:22

at_leo_87

wow, that sounds like fun!

are you allowed to buy a kit? i think the woods are expensive. does your shop teacher know what he is getting into?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 13:58:49

Ruphus

Phantastic opportunity!
Take the chance, even if the teacher might withdraw because of the ridiculous prices for materials, buy them yourself; just don´t let it pass by.
Just my 2cents.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 14:05:09

you sound like your already making it
great to hear and sounds awesome
kudo's to you and your teacher...a generous supportive offer..
many fine luthiers here....bug them for info....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 14:11:02

Anders Eliasson

You can make a bending iron. for almost free. My first one was a stainless steel pipe found in a container. Inside a 100 watt bulb. I still use it for some things like purfling, fine bending of sides etc. Its been with me for 84 guitars and I havent had to change the bulb yet.

My fantastic sidebender machine, I made out of some wood, and stuff and its heated by a 500 watt bread toaster. It has lasted some 70 guitars so far.

A solera can be cheap. Takes a day or so to make.

Good luck... And of course, DO IT!!!!!

The santos plan sounds well, but it is a small guitar. The Barbero plan by Lewis from LMI makes for a more modern and versatile instrument. But its a confusing plan if you are not into plans.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 16:01:51

Sean

Not sure where you're from Cory or what type of lumber your teacher may already have sitting in the shop. There are alternatives you can go to that may help with your budget, for example he may have some cherry kicking around for the past 20yrs which can be used for necks back and sides, green ash can be thicknessed, wetted and once allowed to soak in bent cold, left to dry in a form to hold its shape with no heating equipment needed. The most important thing though is your woods needs to be quarter sawn or able to be re sawn in the shop to quarter to make it more dimensionally stable. The soundboard you will definitely need to source from a tonewood supplier, I recommend spruce as cedar is very easily dented and dinged during the building process.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 16:07:58

Sean

Yes the Santos although larger then a Torres is small by todays standards but the plan can be found free of charge and it is a simple 7 fan design without a bridge strap and is easily modified. You won't find a simpler design out there and although it is small in size depending on the finish you put on it can be quite loud, enough to drive neighbours to complain if you live in an apartment lol. In the end though a plan is just a tool, you could make your best ever guitar from the worst plan and your worst from the best of plans, if there was such a thing. I would recommend asking any questions you need answers to here because a flamenco guitar is built different then a classical and most books and info on guitar building are for classicals which can lead you down the wrong path.
In the end though once you string her up blemishes and all you will be hooked so be warned.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 17:51:15

diazf

If you go on ebay and look up Darren Hippner under vendor name of 'luthierwoodsupply' you can buy a spanish cypress back and side set for a good price. He has a few listed and they've been going for about $40 a set. I've bought a bunch and it's really nice wood.
Also if you search tonewood there are other fairly priced maple, rosewood, zebra wood, cocobolo. etc sets as well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 18:18:05

cRobson12

Here is what I have on my list so far. I could not get any information from my school teacher today as we were hit by a huge snow storm today and got snowed in so to speak.

Sides: Alaskan yellow cedar
Top: SPRUCE, Engleman
Finger board - EBONY, Macassar
Finish - french polosh
Model - santos

@ Sean
quote:

You can find the Santos Hernandez plan on the net, it is a basic 7 fan design probably the easiest to start with. The only thing missing from most plans and from books on classical guitar construction is proper neck angle setup which is very different from classical guitars. Knowing how the doming of the top, desired string height above the top and desired action(string height from first and 12th fret all relate is mandatory before assembly begins. Good luck on your build, just be warned it's very addictive

That sounds fantastic, I will do some research on the Santos. I figured these books would be missing a lot of important things so I will most deffinitly need some proper instruction on the neck angle setup and the "doming of the top". Could you explain to me what this means?
And thanks, truly noted on the addictiveness (I haven't even started yet and thats all I can think about)

@SEden
quote:

Well as Sean said the main thing is getting the guitar geometry correct. If you are getting the solera from la falseta that work will be done for you.

Get your self a plan to follow. The Santos plan as mentioned is simpe to follow and can pretty much be turned into anything you want by adding to it.

I am still debating whether or not I buy the solera or make it myself, it would be really cool if I made it. However, I would have to make sure everything is perfect.
[(I tend to obsese over perfection a lot of the time)

@Anthony
quote:

wow, that sounds like fun!

are you allowed to buy a kit? i think the woods are expensive. does your shop teacher know what he is getting into?

Yeah I hope it will be! Yeah I told it would be expensive, so he does. I will also pitching in many hundreds of dollars just because I want too.

And for the kit I am allowed to do whatever I want, I am keeping the kit in mind but if I do buy one I would feel like I would simply be assembling it and not actually making it so I don't know if I want one. Still another thing to keep in mind though!

@Ruphus
quote:

Phantastic opportunity!
Take the chance, even if the teacher might withdraw because of the ridiculous prices for materials, buy them yourself; just don´t let it pass by.
Just my 2cents.

Will do my friend! I won't blame him if he does but I will still do it whether or not he backs out or not. He knows what he is getting himself into already though.

@AlVal
quote:

you sound like your already making it
great to hear and sounds awesome
kudo's to you and your teacher...a generous supportive offer..
many fine luthiers here....bug them for info....

Haha in my head its already done And yes I will send him your regards. Oh yes I plan on bugging them until they snap (haha).

@Anders
quote:

You can make a bending iron. for almost free. My first one was a stainless steel pipe found in a container. Inside a 100 watt bulb. I still use it for some things like purfling, fine bending of sides etc. Its been with me for 84 guitars and I havent had to change the bulb yet.

My fantastic sidebender machine, I made out of some wood, and stuff and its heated by a 500 watt bread toaster. It has lasted some 70 guitars so far.

A solera can be cheap. Takes a day or so to make.

Good luck... And of course, DO IT!!!!!

The santos plan sounds well, but it is a small guitar. The Barbero plan by Lewis from LMI makes for a more modern and versatile instrument. But its a confusing plan if you are not into plans.

Alright thanks for the info. I assume all that I need to do to make one of these is make the jig of the sides, make a structure to hold it, and use a weight to bend the wood while heating it?
If possible Anders would you be willing to send me a picture or a plan for a solera? It would be extremely helpful, i think

The Santos sounds really tempting and so does the Barbero. I have been taking advance courses in autocad so I think I can understand confusing plans. I am not sure though. I am sure both guitars have their ups and downs, which one do you recommend I build? (asking everyone who is reading).

@Sean

quote:

Yes the Santos although larger then a Torres is small by todays standards but the plan can be found free of charge and it is a simple 7 fan design without a bridge strap and is easily modified. You won't find a simpler design out there and although it is small in size depending on the finish you put on it can be quite loud, enough to drive neighbours to complain if you live in an apartment lol. In the end though a plan is just a tool, you could make your best ever guitar from the worst plan and your worst from the best of plans, if there was such a thing. I would recommend asking any questions you need answers to here because a flamenco guitar is built different then a classical and most books and info on guitar building are for classicals which can lead you down the wrong path.
In the end though once you string her up blemishes and all you will be hooked so be warned.

Free of charge you say? >:)
And very wise words, that will stick with me. I don't really have any questions as of right now, but I am sure they will be coming in by the dozens when I start

@Diazf
quote:

If you go on ebay and look up Darren Hippner under vendor name of 'luthierwoodsupply' you can buy a spanish cypress back and side set for a good price. He has a few listed and they've been going for about $40 a set. I've bought a bunch and it's really nice wood.
Also if you search tonewood there are other fairly priced maple, rosewood, zebra wood, cocobolo. etc sets as well.

Thank you for this, I have already added stuff to my wish list for later when I decide on everything.

And thanks everyone for showing an interest! I can't wait to get started
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 19:38:36

cRobson12

Also what do you guys think about the head of the guitar? Tunning machines or pegs? I am in love with pegs but if they are too difficult I will settle for the tunning machines

EDIT: just did a quick search on saddles, and here is what I found. Fossiziled walrus

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fossilized-Walrus-luthier-nut-saddle-bridge-pins-/160537575941?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2560c90205
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 19:41:04

Stephen Eden

Making a Solera is simple enough. It depends on whether or not you want to use a solid mold - I find it is better for those building on a regular basis and want to keep a regualr shape. The one on la falseta doesnt have the doming built into it so you would have to use a seperate dish for doming your sound board.

doming your sound board helps create strength. This allows you to be able to use a relatively thin piece of wood for your top. This helps get the most out of the energy from the strings.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 20:22:30

Sean

You're probably better off with machines on this project, having access to a whole shop will make it fairly simple for you to drill and router the head. Doing pegs properly will cost you more money then a set of gotoh tuners will because you will need to purchase the pegs plus the proper tapered reamer and a peg shaver. When pegs are done perfectly some people still find they don't want to deal with them and poorly fitted pegs no one wants anything to do with lol. I do love pegs, I just don't think they are a great idea for a first time build.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 21:46:16

cRobson12

RE: The challenge issued by my scho... (in reply to Sean

@SEden
How would I go about doming the sound board?

@Sean
Alright thanks for the tip Sean. You said that I could fine the santos hernandez plans for free on the web? I have been looking for a good 30 minutes and can't find them. Could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 22:00:44

prd1

There are a set of Santos Hernandez plans included in the book - Making Master Guitars ISBN-13: 978-0709048091 by Roy courtnall. This book will also explain how to dome a top using the solara method as well as providing lots of other plans and tools that you can make. I think many of the guys on this forum have used this book as a starting point?

The book is as good as books get - but keep pushing the pro luthiers who contribute to this forum for advice on how to transfer written word into practical know-how wrt the feel of a soundboard (both pre and post bracing) in your hands...they will not be able to transfer feel into your fingers but may be able to help with advice and direction.

You're lucky to have a teacher who offers such support!!!

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music - Angela Monet
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 23:54:50

cRobson12

RE: The challenge issued by my scho... (in reply to prd1

I will check this book out PRD1. And will do good sir! :)

What are everyones thoughts on this kit here? I am not saying I am going to buy a kit but if I where to buy one would this one be good?
http://www.madinter.com/b2c/index.php?page=pp_producto.php&md=0&ref=AKFP1S

And what kind of bindings should I order?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2011 23:57:46

CuerdasDulces

I wish I was allowed to make a guitar in my class
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 0:39:16

TANúñez

The Courtnall book is a little pricey but it's a good book. Also look into classic guitar construction by Irving Sloane. It explains a lot of the same stuff as the master guitars book but it's less.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on this project, a kit wouldn't be a bad idea. You can also get it with the sides bent so you don't have to make or buy a bending pipe/machine. LMI sells pretty good kits. If this is the way you choose to go. They even offer a kit where you can pick your woods. I think they even offer a flamenco guitar kit. You'll still probably spend anywhere from $450 to $550 in materials with a kit so any guitar you build will still cost some money. At least you'l have access to some tools from your teachers workshop.

Where are you at? if you really want to do this, I'll make you a copy of the Santos plan so you don't have to buy it. Just PM me or email me once you have decided what your going to do.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 2:03:15

cRobson12

RE: The challenge issued by my scho... (in reply to TANúñez

@TANunez

I am located in Newmarket, Ontario (Canada) which is about a half an hour drive from Toronto. Wow thanks for your generosity! I would really appreciate if you did that for me. I will be sure to PM you when I work everything out. You help means a lot to me!

I already checked out LMI and it seems that their kits only ship within the US, I think. Is that 450 dollars ontop of the kit in materials?

I made a shopping cart on www.madinter.com with everything that I need and the price is about 400 dollars. Is there anything I am missing if I am not buying a kit? (excluding the tuning machines, saddle, nut, rosset, fret wire and finish)
I have the following in the cart: Cypress back and sides, german spruce top (1st grade wood), rounded guitar kerfed lining, kerfing, soundboard braces, back braces, bridge interior reinforcement, Set of First Brazilian Cedar Neck Blank and Heel Block, Ebony/cypress Purflings, Indian Rosewood Headplate, and indian rosewood bridge blank.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 2:41:10

Sean

Hey I'm in Brampton, Ontario so I can definitely give you info on where you can source stuff you will need. I sent you an email so check your in box on here, I just need your email so I can send you the plan in PDF. Forget Madinter the shipping cost will kill you, you can shop woods personally in Cambridge at A&M woods specialty I have been there several times they have a web site too, you can get alaskan yellow cedar, maples etc etc or rosewood for a negra. You will find everything you need there but a high grade top, there is a place in NFLD to get that from, best source for Engleman spruce and WRC I have found and its not kiln dried.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 3:06:33

Sean

If you do decide to go with a kit you just need to use LMI's kit wizard and make a change or too I believe the biggest thing is they cannot ship genuine mahogany across the border. I think in the kit it is only something simple and stupid like the end block is genuine mahogany so you just change that to sapele or spruce and they can ship it to you. The kit wizard also allows you to decide which services you would like performed like thickness sanding bending joining and fingerboard slotting and what woods you want. I built my first guitar from a LMI kit, their service is very good but like I said I can steer you more local to save money.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 3:15:39

cRobson12

Hey Sean!
I didn't get your PM so you can email me here : apple_cory@hotmail.com

Damn, consider them forgotten . I just checked out the A&M woods website, it will be helpful for making the neck and the bridge however they do not sell cypress and german spruce (I guess that is why they are good for negra materials ). Any idea where I can purchase 1st grade cypress and german spruce?

Again everything is still in the beta stage so I have yet to decide on what I am going to do. The only issue I can think of right now is building or finding someone with one of them side machine benders so they can do it for me or so I can do it. Thanks for the update on LMI I will consider this as well.

Yes yes, please direct me locally... I enjoy saving money . I have my eyes set on making a blanca. I want my first flamenco to be a blanca, if I get into this guitar making I will for sure make a negra later down the road.

I really appreciate your help Sean!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 3:25:22

Sean

The Alaskan yellow cedar is not really a cedar but a cypress(Nootka Cypress) perfect for your blanca. It is easy to work and bend is extremely stable, it also has a smell similar to pot. The best part is locally it will cost you a quarter the cost of Spanish cypress and without the added shipping costs. Euro spruce will cost you over $200 for a master grade top, master grade Engleman $65 plus shipping from east coast not to expensive. You of course can downgrade to lesser grades tops but I don't see the point of getting a very poor quality Euro spruce grade when you could get a master grade Engleman even cheaper. Fingerboards don't go with ebony its not stable unless its really old and seasoned it twists like fussili pasta, its ok for the old master builders with really old stock or people who know for sure the quality and age of it but for us newer people to the trade not worth it just because its black. Your better choice for a fingerboard will be quartered macassar ebony or madagascar rosewood or honduran rosewood or ziricote.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 4:01:28

cRobson12

Alright thanks for the information. So the soundboard will be made of engleman spruce and sides and back alaskan yellow cedar. You have been very helpful Sean.

For the plans you sent me what scale are they in? My school has one of those large scale blue print printers. So when I print it I need to know what scale the plans are so my jigs will be the correct size. Also I think I am missing the back plan and fingerboard plan (I can't find the back bracing, etc). According to the file name I believe i have the second page with the neck, headstock, soundport and saddle.

Thanks sean!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 4:28:36

Anders Eliasson

I stopped doming the soundboard some years ago. I´ve made 30 - 35 where I brace flat and I prefer it over the domed design I made earlyer. By using a very thin bridge strap, the soundboard actually domes a bit itself. It ends up with 1,5 - 2mm dome when the guitar is finished which I find to be perfect and it gives more power and a free'er sounding guitar than a 3mm dome.
Since the soundboard dome a bit, I have scooped out the solera a little bit.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 8:19:55

kominak

quote:

Forget Madinter the shipping cost will kill you, you can shop woods personally in Cambridge at A&M woods specialty

Also, madinter prices are good, but I was warned that the wood is not dry - if you buy the kit you'd have to wait (ideally) at least a year before starting your build.
If you won't be able to source the wood locally, there are some turkish sellers like www.caucasianspruce.com who have good prices on spruce tops and spanish cypress back/sides and the wood is ready to use. He even shipped the wood to me free of charge (but I live in Europe).
Good luck with your build!

Martin Kominak
Slovakia
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 8:36:51

Ruphus

RE: The challenge issued by my scho... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

I stopped doming the soundboard some years ago. I´ve made 30 - 35 where I brace flat and I prefer it over the domed design I made earlyer. By using a very thin bridge strap, the soundboard actually domes a bit itself. It ends up with 1,5 - 2mm dome when the guitar is finished which I find to be perfect and it gives more power and a free'er sounding guitar than a 3mm dome.
Since the soundboard dome a bit, I have scooped out the solera a little bit.

Matthias Damman says doomed tops would decrease resonating properties, which sounds like of sense to me on principle, seeing that convex form stabilizes.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 14:45:22

diazf

RE: The challenge issued by my scho... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Anders, surprised and glad to hear you say this as you've always promoted domed tops here and in your video. Tom Blackshear has been advocating the flat top for some time now, seems you guys do agree on something : )

Tom also suggested slightly arching the bottom of the bridge (from treble to bass side) to pull up on the top for additional doming. I tried it and it works really nice as well.
Saludos,
--Fabian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 15:23:47
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll