Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Egad!!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Egad!! 

Jeez,

I've had a problem getting into town for the last week, so I shopped in the local Supermarket which I seldom do except for vegetables, tinned stuff and beer.

We were a bit short of meat in the freezer, so I thought I'd get these things..

"Premium Range Southern Fried Chicken Breasts" (a delicious combination of tender chicken breasts done in a spicy batter)

Just made it an hour ago.

Jeeezuuus!!!

It was like the same food I feed my cat...only done in an amazingly bland flour and water batter!

I had to put my lot in the bin before my stomach revolted, and believe me, I'm anything but posh!

The inside (as far as I could tell) was mechanically recovered minced bits of chicken that's left over after they've got all the main cuts out of the bird.

No texture...just slime, like baby food!

Christ, Prison food must be better than this!

Utter rubbish!

It cost me £5.00, yet for £8.00 I could have bought a completely free range large chicken breast from my local butcher in town.

I'm absolutely not being a snob about this, but for little over £1.00 I could have even bought absolutely delicious Ox-Liver from the butcher, enough to feed two people.

This stuff is utter ****.

No wonder the Supermarkets are rattling up record profits if this is the kind of crap people buy.

Unbelievable!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 19:58:45

Escribano

RE: Egad!! (in reply to Ron.M

They get that meat by pressure hosing the carcasses

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 20:05:30

prd1

EGAD - strange but acceptable mando tuning

southern fried scabby carcass - WTF are you thinking of - buy a bag of dried broth mix for 59p, some stock; an onion, carrot, sprig of parsley (or any other veggies/herbs) that are reduced due to sell by date and make a good ol' pot of soup...put the other 4 quid in the piggy bank towards a bottle of the 'wee low flier' to warm the innards.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music - Angela Monet
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 20:46:42

Ron.M

RE: Egad!! (in reply to prd1

Exactly right prd!

A bit of scrag end mutton boiling for an hour first, plus all the ingredients you mentioned and a decent loaf of bread (Scotch Loaf?) can't be beat IMO..

And the money saved for a wee drink along with it makes it all go down the merrier IMO.

See us Northerners?

PS "Egad" was a joke at our school that still remains in my head...(...like Crikey, Wizz, Spiffing and Scoffing from Billy Bunter! ..Ahhh..."The Beano".. )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 21:12:41

prd1

I had a mate at school who's favourite term was 'egads' (ye-gods?) - I was never so refined.

I've just bought my seeds for this years herb garden, all the normal stuff for my broth (must be careful - outside of UK, broth may mean stock - any of our Antipodean friends like to offer an opinion?)

Although I'm not a great pork lover, it's got to be a ham shank for me...recipe handed down by my Granny Rendles...cheap as chips from the local butcher who struggles to sell it these days (not sure if he can still sell it legally as its on the bone?).

...Egads!!! - I've just remembered the first day Granny R had a pressure cooker - didn't let the pressure out and painted the scullery ceiling in mush.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music - Angela Monet
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 21:40:03

sean65

quote:

No wonder the Supermarkets are rattling up record profits if this is the kind of crap people buy.

Know what you mean Ron.

There was a documentary about fish on TV last week that was quite revealing. Even on the fresh fish counter there is small print on the labels suggesting that it's not actually fresh but just laid out to look like fresh fish.

I'm sure each supermarket has large teams of people who devise plans of how they can mislead customers with all their **** labelling etc.

Just like banks really, it's all legal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 6:17:50

Patrick

In the US big brother may even be looking over your shoulder.

I have a friend that works in a large marketing firm. They track peoples buying habits. A few years ago he was working on a project to track the movement of people in supermarkets. What it entailed was a micro chip attached to the shopping cart that relayed information to a computer. It could track the direction you were going and how long you stayed at particular area.

With all the info available they could recommend to the store management the most advantageous position of items in the store to maximize profits. They found the majority of people turn right after entering a market. They found the center isles to be best for ice creams and fast meal frozen foods. The back of the store was best for meats and dairy products.

It really bugs me when you have to go all the way to the back of a massive store, just to get a gallon of milk and I must really must piss them off because I turn left!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 16:44:03

Estevan

RE: Egad!! (in reply to sean65

quote:

I'm sure each supermarket has large teams of people who devise plans of how they can mislead customers with all their **** labelling etc.

Just like banks really, it's all legal.

Which reminds me of this:

"The same banks, hedge funds and financiers whose speculation on the global money markets caused the sub-prime mortgage crisis are thought to be causing food prices to yo-yo and inflate. The charge against them is that by taking advantage of the deregulation of global commodity markets they are making billions from speculating on food and causing misery around the world."

Food speculation: 'People die from hunger while banks make a killing on food'

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 18:02:44

Ron.M

RE: Egad!! (in reply to Estevan

.....Which puts me in mind of an incident that happened in Dundee last week...

A cash dispenser (ATM) started malfunctioning and was paying out twice the amount the user had requested, but on checking their account, they saw they had been debited for only the original amount they had asked for, so started making further withdrawals up to their daily limit.

Soon a crowd assembled outside the machine...and a crowd attracted a crowd.... until eventually the Police wondered what was going on...but by that time the machine had been practically drained.

The next day, the Bank concerned issued a statement saying that an incorrectly loaded money cassette had been the cause of the problem and that they wouldn't be seeking to prosecute anyone who received more than they had asked for...(haha.. well..let's face it...they wouldn't be able to actually prove it in court...would they?)

But they had a freephone number on their Website should customers want to return the money which was not rightfully theirs and that they "would leave it up to the individual conscience of each customer involved."

They received not one phone call!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 18:40:38
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message