Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

How do you cook blood sausage?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

kovachian

How do you cook blood sausage? 

Yea, sorry for the total randomness of this.

Googling has every imaginable manner of preferences with cooking methods and I can't seem to find any consistency. I've cooked up this stuff a few times but I'm never sure just how far down to cook it. Is it supposed to be completely black? Or is dark brownish red good enough? I'm afraid I'll burn it. Since it's not widely available in the US, I have to mail-order the canned variety and it's too expensive to waste.

It's fantastic when mixed in with spaghetti sauce by the way, I discovered that today. Spinach is another surprising companion.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 0:28:56

NormanKliman

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to kovachian

If you mean the Spanish variety with rice in it (morcilla de Burgos), I cut it into disks about as thick as my little finger and fry 'em in a non-stick pan, usually without adding any oil because it releases a lot of its own grease. I think it's probably already cooked when you buy it, otherwise... Well, it's a little too early in the morning for me for that kind of imagery. So, even though it's probably already cooked, I like it pretty well done. Not crunchy, but definitely black and with a sort of gummy texture. Excellent with sauteed fresh green asparagus and white rice. Makes a helluva sandwich, too, on what you call French or Italian bread in the States. The casing will shrivel (this is sounding better and better), so you can either peel it before cooking or pick it out of the pan when it separates from the morcilla. If you cook an entire morcilla, poke a few holes in the casing to prevent it from splitting open. If you want to serve it to the squeamish, tell 'em to think of turkey stuffing (it's the sage).

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 5:35:47

sean65

Fry or grill and served with fresh eggs! Wonderful

Use it as any sausage really, you can drop little chunks into casserole dishes as well.

The English name is Black Pudding. Slightly more 'table friendly' than blood sausage.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 7:21:03

michel

i'm from Alsace in France, our name for blood sausage is "blöatwourscht"
we cook it as an entire piece with little holes like norman explained, and it's served with mashed potatoes, mmmmmhh
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 10:17:09

Ruphus

Why cook at all?

As the french name "blöatwourscht" seems to confirm, I assume "Blutwurst" to be coming from Germany originally ( not to say though that other cultures hadn´t developed similar sausages ).

And in Germany there are only a few dishes with warmed over / fried versions.
Mostly "Blutwurst" been eaten raw, as thin slices on your buttered fresh bread.

( The only reason why I personally ate almost no blood sausage in the past decades is that much of the poison and pharmaceuticals like antibiotica common in mass breeding ought to be contained in the animals blood. Otherwise, it can be a really tasty kind of sausage.)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 12:11:10

Escribano

Fry in very little hot olive oil - or it goes soggy - cut into thick slices (about 1inch or so) until just a bit crispy on each side. That is the way I get mine when in Spain (morcilla) in tapas. You can also serve with fried onions. Morcilla has a lot of paprika in it that comes out and colours oil, which we don't have in English black pudding.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 12:39:33

Kate

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to Escribano

I cooked a very simple vegetarian dish last night. Was thinking of Matic as I cooked :) Sliced onions and carrots with a few teaspoons of pimenton picante ( hot paprika) then add white beans and tomatoes. Harold thought i was cooking meat as it smelled like chorizo, due to the paprika effect, but afterwards I thought that if I had meat eaters at the table I would have added chorizo or morcilla on the side as they would have gone perfectly.

I never cook morcilla or chorzo with oil as the oil soon oozes out of them when the pan gets hot. You can also grill or barbecue these and in the summer they sell big barbecue packs with a mix of chorizo, salchicha and morcilla.

In Granada the 'plato de alpujarras' is a popular dish, very much like a Spanish version of an English breakfast,with eggs, morcilla, chorizo, papas a lo pobre (potatoes fried with green peppers ).

Que approveche !

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 13:14:43

kovachian

I surmise that I'm not undercooking the stuff then, since I cook it until it's nearly black. I've been eating this kind which I'm guessing is a German-made variety (from the US), and I don't really know if it's fully cooked straight out of the can. It doesn't look like it, judging by the dark red color. No casing either. It's just mush, and a yummy one at that.

I never thought of trying olive oil seeing as this sausage has enough oil of it's own. I think I'll try that next time, for something a little firmer.

And I can't see myself consuming this raw. Maybe if it was fresh. But canned beef blood and porky bits? I dunno, pigs are pretty filthy animals. Maybe I'll try that sometime, but don't count on it!

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 14:35:44

Escribano

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to Kate

quote:

In Granada the 'plato de alpujarras' is a popular dish, very much like a Spanish version of an English breakfast,with eggs, morcilla, chorizo, papas a lo pobre (potatoes fried with green peppers ).

How could I forget my favourite "Full Spanish" breakfast? Very yummy but I left the peppers to one side

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 14:58:55

Estevan

Also 'lentejas con morcilla' - you can find lots of recipes online.

(Incidentally I find the tone of Spanish recipes rather amusing, e.g. "First we soak the lentils; we chop the onions etc. then we put them in a pot" and so on, it sounds like they're talking to a little kid.)

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 15:16:45

Kate

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to Estevan

I found this on Wiki
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morcilla

For the none spanish speakers I will translate the first line

"Morcilla is a cold meat dish that contains no meat"

Hmm I beg to differ that blood and pig fat is in fact considered a meat product, at least by the vegetairians I know

Still the article is interesting in that it lists all the countries in the world that make and eat it. Love the story of the black pudding fight in Lancashire/york that stems from the War of the Roses when they ran out of ammunition.

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 16:15:42

Estevan

quote:

I found this on Wiki

You mean you were drinking that popular flamenco beverage "wiki" when you found it?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 16:23:32

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: kovachian

And I can't see myself consuming this raw. Maybe if it was fresh. But canned beef blood and porky bits? I dunno, pigs are pretty filthy animals. Maybe I'll try that sometime, but don't count on it!

With your permission:
Pigs are only filthy within religious and worldy cliches.
However when not forced to live in their own excrements, they won´t but instead stay away from it. Further, the worldly cliche of filthy pigs migth have aroused from seeing these animals taking mud baths. Especially urban folks could have diffculties distinguishing mud and crap. ;O)

For the religious cliche amounts that in Near East where the idea was planted, due to hot weather / missing cooling devices and pigs fat cells homogenously spread over muscle tissue, pork meat tended to indeed decay fast and develop poisonous quckly. This was why it was decided to be classified as filthy, for consumers to stay away from it.
It could had just as well been decreed that pigs should not be sloughtered / eaten in hot summers; only that oriental mentality traditionally pefers plastic / drastic good-or-bad interpretations to the hazzles of differenciation.

Anyway, a healthily fed and kept pig should bear no other threat than a higher quantity of fat.
Problems before all are located in the fact that you will hardly find any pork meat of well kept pigs anymore.
Evident through the fact that the taste it once had, is hardly to be found anymore since about 30 years.

I count on you trying it raw, Kovachian!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 17:42:30

XXX

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to Ruphus

Also remember, pigs are scavengers.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 17:53:20

Ruphus

Right, just like chicken.
Or like us for a couple of million years. - Until today.

And without the support of scavengers named wolves we wouldn´t be around to start with.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 17:55:34

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus
Evident through the fact that the taste it once had, is hardly to be found anymore since about 30 years.

Whenever I cook English bacon ( or could be Danish I suppose as that is what is sold there mostly) it just oozes water. Spanish bacon on the other hand is more streaky and goes crispy and no water. And the famous pata negra lives in the wild and scavenges acorns. Hmmmmm bring on the jamon jamon preferably with a shot of wikki :)

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 17:59:18

XXX

I like the animal a döner is made of. What was the name again... ah, "Dönertier".

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 17:59:37

Escribano

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to XXX

quote:

I like the animal a döner is made of. What was the name again

Doner kebab lamb is prepared in the same way in Mexico for Tacos Al Pastor, damn I am hungry.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 20:23:30

Ron.M

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Doner kebab lamb is prepared in the same way in Mexico for Tacos Al Pastor, damn I am hungry.

Just don't buy one in the Edgware Road.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 20:27:17

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kate

Whenever I cook English bacon ( or could be Danish I suppose as that is what is sold there mostly) it just oozes water. Spanish bacon on the other hand is more streaky and goes crispy and no water. And the famous pata negra lives in the wild and scavenges acorns. Hmmmmm bring on the jamon jamon preferably with a shot of wikki :)

Curiously, it seems as if in the European south pigs were yet fed ( and possible treated ) better than meanwhile in the north. As you say about Spanish bacon, the Italian accordingly seems to be of better quality too.
Let alone specialities like pata negra or similar to that product from France.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 20:37:52

Ron.M

quote:

Curiously, it seems as if in the European south pigs were yet fed ( and possible treated ) better than meanwhile in the north. As you say about Spanish bacon, the Italian accordingly seems to be of better quality too.
Let alone specialities like pata negra or similar to that product from France.

I don't think it's about how the pigs were treated, but about what the buyer expects.

UK Supermarket bacon etc is injected with brine to bring up the weight so you think you are getting more for your money than you actually are.

It shrinks to two thirds of it's size when you are cooking it.

If you fry it like that, you are not really frying, but boiling it.

You've got to pour off all the water first.

Probably in Southern Europe, folk wouldn't tolerate such rubbish.

If I buy bacon from the local butcher, it's much more expensive, but contains no extra water.

You gets what you pays for.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 20:51:26

Ruphus

In sight of given margins there would be no due at all to injecting water and feeding utter trash.

To me it appears as if the typical saying should rather be like: You get to eat from an out of hand economy.

On the other side it is certainly of sense to make people realize that it shouldn´t be normal to have meat with almost every meal.
From there, if making things more expensive was to be the only way for consumers to start reconsidering about fellow species and environment, so be it.

Let´s have tax encreased on meat from mass prodution. :O|

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 21:12:56

Ron.M

quote:

In sight of given margins there would be no due at all to injecting water and feeding utter trash.

Hmm..Don't agree there, Ruphus...

UK pig farmers are complaining that Britain has much higher legal standards on pig rearing than their competitors in Europe so are slowly going out of business.

I've been told by a couple of experienced butchers that it's standard practice in supermarket food preperation to bulk up the meat by injecting brine into the carcass to increase the weight.
Have heard the same on various radio and TV food programmes and they haven't been sued.

The thing is..in the UK, most folk under 40 expect to be left with a frying pan full of water when frying bacon.

That's what I meant about "what the buyer expects".

I can easily buy proper bacon from my butcher, but it costs more and I've never come across an occasion where I can buy 500 grams and get another 500 grams free from any butcher.

Nuf sed.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 21:32:59

Ruphus

I am not familiar with the situation in UK / been referring to what I know from Germany, which is that farming corporations dictate EU laws / ruin traditional farms and buy them off. Further states control on production and processing exists only on exception ( probably depending on competitors ).

In Germany meanwhile many years ago it was decreed that food controllers shall not pass on objectionable findings to their next superiors anymore, but straight upwards to the chief of the office. One might ponder about what such edict being good for and who could have initiated it.
Hints could be found with any of the regular food scandals, like with the current of mineral oil used as fat for fodder mixtures and consequently dioxine in eggs and meat.
First faced as actual finding, then uncovered as diagnosis of conditions revealed already 8 months ago; then revealed as known since 10 months ago; then 12 months ago; and who knows for how long people and live stock have actually been poisoned by knowledge of food observing office.

Or how about encreasing diagnosis of dementia / altzheimer among people? Would that really only be a sign of demographics, while affected individuals showing to be encreasingly younger in age?
As you might recall about the BSE affair from many years ago ( arosen from fodder issues too ) the carcases of killed cattle were so many that it was colported that it would take centuries to burn them all.
Now, with the business ethics and corruption in common place, would you think that meat to be kept in expensive freezer halls all the time and for ages to come?
In between there have been some quickly faded headlines about meat from those repositories having reappeared on meat counters, and you bet that it is being steadily distributed within Europe and to outside of EU.

Not only in sight of food, people have to finally / gradually realize to which scale of mafia and actual unscrupulousness there is. Realizing in how far official authenticity and corruption are proportioned to each other. Independently from how embraced or disgracing the status be.

In the end you can´t neglect the symptoms of an out of hand economy.
There is a pathological greed behind the global desaster. With a minority of excessively privileged mindsets who yet can´t even get enough. Not with tens of millions a year, not with hundreds of mios, and not even with billions.
That is why yet the most lucrative of businesses are still being pitched further and further and further until the absolute max that manipulation of the market ( and blackmailing of consumers ) will bear.

Remember the "humble" times when the richest man in the world owned a spectacular 8 billion $?
That wasn´t really centuries ago, was it.
-

As I read over time, brine is not only injected into carcases, but also into live stock before slaughter.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2011 9:49:58

samuelgrey

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 16 2012 17:26:12
Reason for deletion: Looks like spam (forgive the pun)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2011 4:18:42

Doitsujin

bloodsausage is a leftover from times of war when the people had nothing and had to use everything so survive... Its disgusting! Dont prepare that if you have money for good food!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2011 4:36:56

odinz

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to Doitsujin

Blood sausage.. have to fry it at between medium and high heat, tiny bit of oil, besure that the oil is completely heated up before you put it in or else it will be like people said, soggy...

serves well with egg, mashed potatoes, bacon, toast, and that stuff.

In Norway we also have some blood food called blodklubb that can be boiled or whatever, man i love blood I like to cover the pieces in sugar!

BTW Its true supermarket bacon is such a dissappointment eac time, I buy half pigs and part it myself, from local farms, it is totally the best... Happy pig=good pig

If I go for cheap shopping, I travel over to sweden, but the EU regulated food just isnt the same.. I remember I couldnt even get a bent cucumber over there..

I have a feeling in like 50 years we will all be eating bacon with a drinking straw, with all these regulations combined with what young people wanna eat nowadays.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2011 10:45:24

Ruphus

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to Doitsujin

Oh, a reanimation.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

bloodsausage is a leftover from times of war when the people had nothing and had to use everything so survive... Its disgusting!

That is not true.
For one, this sausage is common stock with German butcher´s, secondly liked today just as much as in the economically prospering times like of the eighties.

Is your disgust reasoned by ancient meanderings of unlettered minds that prohibited blood consumption, as if you could be avoiding blood at all by eating meat in the first place?
( And how followers of such mindset do eat meat as long as they can only afford it! Every single day plentifully, with no slightest of remote concerns on fellow creatures or lesser even environment.)

Maybe you find shrimps disgusting too, for the believe that what the creature feeds on determining impurity of its meat?

That would be the kind of consequential thinking that requests avoidance of blood, while cracking open chicken bones in the same time to suck out the marrow.

Doctrins that praise an overly inflated term of cleanness, which for no animals or shoe wearing be allowed in the house ( leaving "pets" strictly out in the heat and cold without shelter, no matter the temperatures ), but visitors with bare socks and whetever filth and athlete´s foot smearing the slippers and carpets. Paranoid about germs everywhere, but voluntarily building in actually disgusting earth closets still today even into new buildings.
And with all that hypocritical ethos of pureness ( that focusses all on outer physical conditions, but pardons yet the worst of shabbiness ) yet not having built canalization for the cities of the pure being, not in thousands of years.

With the billions of people in the oh so pure areas draining the toilet sewer simply into earth holes under their houses, now with the groundwaters infested / everyone drinking what either tastes literally like cloaca or like almost pure chlorine.
With adminsitrations of the pureness reacting by simply prohibiting the newspapers to mention the status of the drinking water.

Neither will they let such to become a public theme, nor what comes of throwing waste around or burning it; no stats on population disease from all that, or the death rate.

So, what again is supposed to be disgusting?

As can be seen above, I am not at all of the impression that western ( food) conditions were to be a shining example of contrast. And in fact, consume of bloodsausage should be kept to a minimum, for these days with all the doping of the cattle, your unintended dose of antibiotics etc. would be enhanced with thelike kind of sausage.
But it sure is time long since for the East to tidy up with ancient arbitrariness, backwardedness and all the untold that comes of it.

( At the very least at the universities, where they still spread humbug, like that our ancenstors would have been much taller than us, that you could clean the air from germs by putting a cut open onion on the table, or that cat hair in the house would produce handicapped human offspring, etc.pp.)

Ruphus

PS:

Relating to my above post from almost a year ago.
There have just been debates on reformation of the German food control, however the parliamental commitee refused the annullation of the secrecy of infringig food manufacturers names.
Must be democracy again when your alleged representatives insist on keeping secret on who spoils and intoxicates your food, for food scammers to stay untouched and in business.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2011 11:07:45

Ruphus

RE: How do you cook blood sausage? (in reply to odinz

quote:

ORIGINAL: odinz

BTW Its true supermarket bacon is such a dissappointment eac time

Commonly sold pork meat seems to have lost its original taste completely, since maybe thirty years now.

If wanting what used to be natural, you´re now supposed to spend big dough in the deli.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2011 12:56:29

Morante

Hola

En nuestra familia hay una tía (de 80 años) que está acostumbrada de una matanza cada año en su casa. La tradición es que las mujeres hacen todos los embutidos, los hombres matan el animal y cortan la carne. Ella hace una morcilla tan buena que no se puede imaginar. Digo yo que debería de darla otro nombre.

Cuando invito a gente a mi casa, estoy acostumbrado poner un sinfin de tapas en vez de una comida. Esta morcilla siempre es un éxito: se pone como está para untar en pan del campo.

La última vez, los invitados eligieron los dos mejores tapas como las cigalas a la plancha con ajo, y la morcilla.

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con Ruphus (aunque me cuesta entender su inglés
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2011 14:15:52
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote