Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

PLanet Waves Humidipak system???   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

britguy

PLanet Waves Humidipak system??? 

I recently installed a PLanet Waves Humidipak system in the case of my prized flamenco guitar. Together with a Planet Waves humidity guage.

I understood this system was supposed to maintain about 45 % relative humidity. Mine rarely gets above 38 %, and I leave it in the case all the time. What's wrong? Anybody any experience with this system?

Will my guitar be under-humidified at 38%?

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2011 21:12:35

Ruphus

RE: PLanet Waves Humidipak system??? (in reply to britguy

What a guitar needs is individually determined by the relative humdity during essembly.
Usually 45% being optimal, and anything between 40 to 50% alright.
With 38% I guess you mustn´t be too worried, but bringing it up to 40% should be recommendable in the long run.

I don´t know how that system looks like, but if the humdifying unit looks like those black thingies from Planet Waves with perforated shell ... Mine ended up in the trash.
I found that humdifiers with an inclosed sponge will develop either mold or moss over time. Maybe not immediately threatening the guitar, but I decided to better stay away from such.

Instead I "invented" a very simple, yet efficient and airy solution that looks like below.

It takes you a toothpick, a kitchen foam and about 4-5 ml of water.
Stick the pick through right at the edege, so that the foam wont protrude and touch the cases lid from inside.
Watch out to soaken the foam evenly ( maybe crease it a bit, so that the water will spread inside the foam ).
Put it between treble strings, preferrably between G and H.
Don´t let the foam touch the soundholes rim.
Keep your case standing on the side ( not on its back ). [ Recommended on principle.]
Keep the case closed while having taken the guitar out of it.

In a very dry environment soaking around every ~ 10 days will suffice.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2011 11:29:22

ecross

RE: PLanet Waves Humidipak system??? (in reply to britguy

I've used the planet waves humidity stuff on some of my guitars before and I also had it sit in the high 30's. I like the concept but I think the technology is still lacking. Have you tried any other methods yet?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2011 6:20:58
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post