Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Who has tried out a Grit Laskin guitar?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

Who has tried out a Grit Laskin guitar? 

Used to eye this maker´s output, thinking of one day buying a guitar of his.
Never played one, but from what I heard from users ( e.g. from W.L.´s website: "This is the finest instrument I have played in all my travels." -Paco Pena ), as well as from recordings I imagined exceptional sound and playability.
Years ago however, contacting him again in order to join his waiting list, it turned out that he had doubled the prices.
As he had been stating before to not be wanting collectors, but players to obtain his guitars, thus not raising his prices for to keep them affordable, I found the new price of 14 US grands too contradictive and cancelled the idea of signing the waiting list.

Yet, I remained curious to these days.

Anyone here played one of his, and how would you describe your experience?

Thanks!

Ruphus

PS:
Remarkable in general that Laskin´s nylons seem just as accomplished as his acoustic guitars.

Audio: http://www.williamlaskin.com/audio/freefall1.mp3

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2011 16:12:50

ralexander

RE: Who has tried out a Grit Laskin ... (in reply to Ruphus

Grit makes outstanding guitars. I tried a steel string and a nylon (not flamenco) about 10yrs ago at the 12th Fret in Toronto, and they both "wowed" me. I was more of a steel string player at the time, but could tell the nylon was also something special.

I came very close to purchasing a 1990 blanca that was posted on Kijiji a few months ago. I decided to go a different direction, but I still wonder about that one. It is a peghead with a white golpeador, and as far as I know the guy still has it. Send me a PM if you want his info.

I would think that his current base price of 14-15k is pretty out of reach for most players - however, power to him for earning his reputation and demanding such prices! When I contacted Grit to chat about the guitar, he told me he has been building flamencos since 1985 in his own design.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2011 16:39:10

Ruphus

Thank you for your impression, and for the hint to that specimen for sale! :O)

I saw that link to that flamenca while digging out his website ..., a Laskin for slightly over 3 grands, how tempting is that.
But I have bought three guits last year and should refrain now; also me wonders why the offer being so low. Maybe it´s not kosher.

Dammn, got cought in that Jesse Cook snippet and can´t put them headphones down!
Those mids ...!
- And besides, If PdL ever thought on vastly improving his bass player´s diddling, this Cook example shows how a sparce, accentuating bass can push the groove instead of bluring it.
Besides: Cook plays with a plec.
really weird for me to accept at first; but as long as it turns out rocking like this, who´s to grumble.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2011 16:51:42

ralexander

The used one is tempting indeed - please do me a favor and buy it It used to belong to Miguel De La Bastide (I confirmed this with Miguel himself). Based on the pics and info I got from the seller, it seemed to be in decent shape with a proper flamenco setup. Grit did tell me that they installed the white golpeador because the top was heavily worn from Miguel's muscular golpes.

I've seen Jesse Cook a few times live and it's usually a good show, although VERY heavy on Rumba. I didn't like the bass player he had with him when I saw them in late 2010, but that's just my taste. His Laskin negra always sounds great.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2011 17:06:24

Ruphus

Man, you got me curious! :O)
With your info now, it must be a serious opportunity.
I just tried sending him a mail over Kijiji, but the offer seems outdated / no code visible for sending.

If the bass being played like in the clip, what is not to be liked? Maybe indeed a matter of taste. To my ears such supporting and emphasizing sparce bass playing is worlds ahead of the overcrowded tootling of Pacos bass player who tries to fill in just as much notes as the guitars, which is only mudding and distrubing.

But interesting to see that other fellows can actually like that.
-
I think they could had used a transparent golpeador nonetheless. Me removed such an ugly white thingy from a vintage blanca months ago.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2011 17:29:32

ralexander

The last bassist I saw with him was a new guy, and I didn't like his groove - to use your word, his playing was "overcrowded". The original bassist I saw him with years ago was a groove monster! Maybe the same guy as in this recording.

I like white plates on some guitars, but I thought it was a shame to put one on this particular instrument. Oh well.

Returned your PM
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2011 18:52:53

Ruphus

Right, and glued on by the man himself!
Probably, because Grit giving priority to the customer´s perspective anyway.

He focusses on whatever individual demand the customer has ( obviously even ugly one, like a white protector ). Apparently, not being bothered in any way by custom work, but accomodating instead.
While we were discussing whereabouts he suggested to me to fly over to Canada, so that he could see me playing and estimate preferences and peculiarities, so that the axe could be tailored as fitting as possible.
He also did not startle from new materials, like with kauri wood that I suggested.
Always open and self-confident on luthiery.

And I just love his bevels, besides! Must be so comfy!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2011 20:22:00

Ruphus

>bump<

In case other members had tried a Laskin too / not seen this thread yet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 12:28:00

avimuno

Hi Ruphus,

I've played a number of his guitars (both at the 12th Fret and from people I knew who owned them).
First of all, his building quality is excellent. Really good workmanship using the best tonewoods. My teacher used to own one. He took it with him in Spain and apparently the late Pedro Perez (from 'Pedro de Miguel') was really impressed with the finish of the instrument. Pedro had a close look at the guitar and inspected every aspect of it before declaring: 'Good guitar, but it does not have the secret ingredient!'.

In a nutshell, that's how I feel about Laskin Guitars...
Laskin's flamencos are beautiful instruments that sound good. Both his blancas and his negras are good and they are very delicately build with a very thin neck (which I personally do not like, but it's a question of taste... I can see an electric guitar player feeling at home on it).
However, they quite simply lack that special something that makes me wanna play my Conde day in day out. It's not the sound... it's the way the guitar reacts and interacts with you... which affects the way it sounds. The Conde fights back and begs to be played. The more you put in the better it sounds... which makes you a better player in the long run because you have to clean up your technique to make it sound right.

Another thing I feel very strongly about is the pulsation/tension of the guitar. A flamenco guitar's pulsation is a tricky thing to get right because it has to be soft enought to allow for rasgeados but hard enough to enable alzapuas and picados to cut through clearly. A lot of people complain that concert instruments (and particularly Condes) are super hard on the right hand. In my experience it's a good thing... here again you need to work on your technique. Playing guitar is a workout for your hands and eventually your hands will be able to coop with a guitar like that. Just listen to every good guitarists out there... they have very strong hands and the guitars do not sound mushy, which means that the pulsation is fairly high.
I have never played a Laskin for more than 1h30 at a time but I have never found them to have the kind of pulsation I like... it was always too soft, even with hard tension strings, which resulted in the guitar sound mushy and having to real definition when pushed hard. Here again, it's a question of taste so what's true for me is not necessarily true for you.

Last, coming back to what Pedro Perez called the 'secret ingredient'... I think that he was referring to a sort of natural 'compression' within the guitar itself. It's really hard to explain otherwise... it's like that guitar has a compressor in it. I've played Condes, Pedro de Miguel, Gerundino and Plazuelo... and they all had this. It's as if the guitar evens out all the frequencies before the sound leaves the box, resulting in the sound blossoming from the guitar rather than just coming out of it (sorry for the metaphors, but you have to hear it to understand what I mean). I can hear and feel it on my Conde but not on my Sanchis for example. I couldn't hear or feel it on any of the 4 Laskins I've played. Here again, i guess that it's a question of taste... Sanchis makes great sounding guitars but in the end the sound of my Conde is more refined.

In the end the choice is yours... as I said Laskin makes really good guitars. He's certainly very famous for his steel strings. My feeling is that if you're gonna pay 14 grand for a Laskin, you might as well get something from Conde, Reyes, Barba, Pedro de Miguel, Juan Miguel Gonzales, Marvi etc.

Hope that helped.

Saludos
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2011 5:49:13

Ruphus

Hi Avimuno,

Thank you so much for taking the time and describing your impression so well!

What you said about pulsation is quite comprehensive ( and ressembles my experience with the one Conde that I once tried out [ a Media Luna ]. It´s pulsation was the reason why I tried to buy that guitar.)

I also think to understand what you mean with that kind of "compression".

Your feedback is very valuable to me, as the notion of possible imperfection helps settling with the fact of not getting my hands on a guitar that I imagined as sort of holy grail-instrument. ( One that you´d never want to put back into its case.) - Not to mention that its price in conjunction with the hazzles of flying over to Canada would had meant quite some efforts.

It helps forgetting about it and in sight of eventual aquisition confining with rather humble objects. - Like for instance an Eduardo Ferrer for under 3 grands that I saw somewhere.

Thanks again!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2011 10:11:56

avimuno

You're welcome Ruphus!

As I said, these are just my opinions and experiences. Some people will certainly disagree with me so the best things for you to do would be to actually try one, maybe it will be the 'holy grail' for you... all I have to say is that if Miguel de la Bastide used to play Laskin, it certainly shows that they are good guitars. But bare in mind that he only swears by his Pedro de Miguel now.

The mistake would be to think that if it costs more than 10 grand than it will have to be amazing... it's not the case. But here again, it's a question of taste... Some guitars fit some players and not others.
I've gone through a lot of guitars and burnt a lot of money to find what works for me: Kenny Hill 'Reyes', Conde (Felipe shop), Antonio Raya Pardo, Luis Feu Mezquita, Ramirez... Andalucian (Grrrrr... don't get me started on that one!) etc etc

I currently have an Atocha Conde (much better than the Felipe I used to own - here again, my opinion), a Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (#1 of the 4 he made - AMAZING trebles! It's like that guitar has a human voice - very lyrical and romantic sound, yet muy flamenco!) and a Hermanos Sanchis Lopez 1F (definitely one of the best 'value for money' choices out there - they are really really good for the money). I'm currently saving up for a Marvi or a DeVoe.

Do shop around as there are some really good luthiers who will build you a wonderful guitar with your specifications and taste... just ask around, you might end up having a really good guitar for a fairly good price.

Good luck!

Saludos.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2011 7:21:43

Ruphus

Hi Avimuno,

I know about the matter of taste; even of its extremes, as I used to know someone personally whose name was Vladimir Vissotsky ( most popular contemporary Russian musician ) and who prefred a cheapo dud eventhough he could have used any of the finest guitars out there. Further, I met a couple of musicians who just prefer low-fi, - including totally distorting PA.

From there I wasn´t attracted to Laskin because of his prices, but for glewing reviews and because of a recording that contains a beautiful sound ( especially regarding the mid frequencies ).
Yet, I can imagine possible limits as you described and welcome hearing of them in the same time as they shall calm down a rather lost hunt, seeing how hard it is to try one out outside of Canada and considering affords and expenses.

Finally, it is hard to get a hold on concert level instruments in the country I am right now. ( Where the market only bears entry- to mid level guitars, - which on top of it are usually stored at around 30% RH [ equalling bent necks, protruding fret wires and sunken in or cracked tops]).

Letting the idea of a Laskin aside and focussing on other makers that I bookmarked in mind, makes things much easier.

Interesting to read that an Atocha would outperform a Felipe. Many years ago I contacted the Atocha store and they sent me a couple of recordings that didn´t impress me. Maybe production level of the one or the other Conde shop might have changed since then. ( Some say the former Felipe shop wouldn´t be what it used to before the nineties.)

Congratulations to your Blackshear!
Since I heard how one of his guitars strong attributes coming through even through a mediocre youtube recording I appriciate Tom´s art of luthiery a lot.
I wrote to him:
quote:

I have heard yet even more raspy sounding flamencas, but don´t remember any that would have been as deep and lush in the same time like yours. What a combination of attributes!

Responsive like a Porsche turbo!

From the distance, merely comparing recordings ( and providing your T.B. guitar to ressemble the 2004 specimen I listend to ) in sight of tonal qualities me would not expect a specimen from Lester DeVoe to surpass the Blackshear you already own. - But possibly in terms of playability, I dunno.

As soon as you come to compare these I would love to hear of your impression.

I have a DeVoe coming. It´s the one Grisha played on last years GFA ( in Boston I think ).
Already lurking, it actually was Mr. Blackshear´s recommendation that made me finally go for it. He had been on the exhibition too and praised this specimen passionately.
Notwithstanding individual ergonomics and subtleties of taste; as I couldn´t be there myself, I am sure Tom´s expertise to be about best remote testing I could get.
That way it shall become a negra with cedar instead of a blanca / spruce combo that I had in mind originally. (As life likes to turn things around.)

Having waited for so many months, I hope that it will finally arrive over here at early March.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2011 11:58:02

avimuno

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 9 2011 6:53:03
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2011 6:52:52

avimuno

Hi Ruphus,

quote:

Interesting to read that an Atocha would outperform a Felipe. Many years ago I contacted the Atocha store and they sent me a couple of recordings that didn´t impress me. Maybe production level of the one or the other Conde shop might have changed since then. ( Some say the former Felipe shop wouldn´t be what it used to before the nineties.)

I'm also surprised about that... lol. My Felipe was from 2005 and my Atocha is from 1998. Apparently the late 90s are a really good period for Atocha Condes. Apparently they are not so good now.
What I really like about that guitar is the way it reacts... the pulsation is just right and it has that sort of compression I was talking about. Sound wise, it sounds great although it's super mid-heavy. I think that Ricardo said the same thing about his Condes... they have almost no basses, but a very strong midrange which push the trebles. You can really notice that when you accompany dancers as the guitar really cuts across all the palmas and dance golpes. It's also a guitar that records very well... it's very immediate and does not require a lot of fiddling around with equipment with it when recording.

quote:

Congratulations to your Blackshear!
Since I heard how one of his guitars strong attributes coming through even through a mediocre youtube recording I appriciate Tom´s art of luthiery a lot.

Thanks! I have come to really admire Tom's work. I really love my Blackshear and will never sell it. It's sound is very lush and rich whilst still retaining the flamenco buzz. Sounds a lot like Tomatito's Reyes to my ears.

I have to find a way to try both a DeVoe and a Marvi in order to decide on my next baby! lol

Saludos,

Avi
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2011 7:00:57

Ruphus

If you get a chance for comparison please tell us of your impression.

Thank you,

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2011 21:15:28

Andy Culpepper

quote:

Marvi

wear earplugs

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2011 22:38:44

avimuno