Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: New vs Old   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Tam DL

I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at.

On the one hand you sarcastically poke bit of well deserved fun about national treasures drawing plans. Then on the other you mention Bogdanovich's book, I'm not sure of the direction you are taking your point. Maybe you are working in two directions at once.

To me real guitar makers don't really use plans on a regular basis. Maybe there's plan or two around the shop to take a reference from or you might, but for the most part you work from measurements you keep in a book you compile from studies of guitars you see. You keep plantillas traced from guitars you like and you modify them to suit you and your intentions.

What happens after you make so many guitars is that the measurements stick in your head. A real guitar maker can wake up in the middle of the night and call out numbers in inches or mm of any part of a the guitar. No plan is needed at that point.

There are a million little things a plan can't flesh out or explain, it's really quite a vague document without the knowledge of a maker to interpret it. A maker knows why the fans splay out at a certain width and why that point to the 10th fret or the 12th - the design is predicated on all the minute details a maker learns to juggle. A plan does not convey that information. A guitar is not the culmination of following a plan;it's a live system of interdependent parts and assembly methods. A guitar is a conceptual problem that a good maker makes by using the skills he or she was taught from lofting their own model. A plan is a tool, a document, but not an end in itself.
\
So I agree a guitar is not a the sum of constructing a face plan from a drawing. A guitar is not a plan. A guitar is a string with a box attached to it, not a box with strings on it. You build the guitar for the string to do it's thing. A guitar plan is a drawing of a box of wood. It fails to address the most important thing, how to think about the string on your own without some other persons wooden box solution.

I'm not down on plans, I reference them sometimes. But it's of the most importance to understand the plan is a box of wood and that a guitar maker starts at the string, then moves to the scale, then the plane of the geometry set by the string. And then to the wood box. That is the conceptual order from which it arises. There must not be confusion between the conceptual order of making a guitar and a plan for a box of wood.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 8:22:19

XXX

RE: New vs Old (in reply to DoctorX2k2

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoctorX2k2
Sure, he does talk about his plan...

I also read his posts because he always keeps it cool and objectively, but the truth is his posts left me wanting a Reyes plan more than a Reyes guitar, and im just a player.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 8:27:04

Anders Eliasson

RE: New vs Old (in reply to estebanana

quote:

but the truth is his posts left me wanting a Reyes plan more than a Reyes guitar, and im just a player.

10 points to you. Nothing like a good joke.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 8:32:17

Anders Eliasson

RE: New vs Old (in reply to DoctorX2k2

quote:

But you two really took it up to a personal level. Why? Who knows. Did he ever talked you down about the guitars you build? Not that I know of. You keep bashing on him trying to raise your own selves. "Americans copy, that's what they're good at", "Tom doesn't catch the essence of guitarmaking, the true spirit of the old Spanish builders...", "My design is better than yours", all that kind of nonsense. You don't agree with his methods, so be it and let the guy do what he has to do, which is build guitars. If he wants to talk about his approach, then let him talk so people that might be interested can enjoy it even though you disagree. In the hand, it's in the hands of the PLAYERS.

Why dont you relax a little bit doctorx2k2.
Noone, not even me or Stephen have taken anything to what you write. Its 100% your interpretation and nothing else. You take things totally out of context. prove the following:

Quote "Americans copy, that's what they're good at", "Tom doesn't catch the essence of guitarmaking, the true spirit of the old Spanish builders...", "My design is better than yours" Quote Doctorx2k2

Noone has said that exept YOU. I have a feeling that you´ve just entered this thread in order to stirr up things.

You write that we should leave the guy to do what he has to do, to build guitars. I would happily do that. And I would enjoy his knowledge and be happy, relaxed and helpfull if the things were like that.
But the man has been here promoting himself like some kind of guitar builders messias. talking down to anyone not agreeing with his approach and ideas. talking about builders not using his fantastic Reyes plan like they had not seen "the light". A plan of the best guitar made by the best guitarbuilder in the world. And improved by Mr TomB

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 8:44:41

Stephen Eden

Lol @ Anders Promoting is something you shouldn't be moaning about when your face is the first thing most people see on this website! and your counltess News from the worshop. I can see that this is promotion. And its not a cheap guitar plan that you have to sell thousands of to make anythig half decent either. I'm not saying it's wrong either so please don't think I am having a go about that.

Difference it Tom hasnt moaned that you have your work at the forefront of the forum and niether has he tried to insult anything you do.

Stephen - I can Understand that you want a level ground when trying to sell your guitars. That is not going to happen I to am in my early years (just about to close up #45). The elder and more known maker is going to out strip you regardless of quality and tone because the majority of consumers trust in well known names. Also it gives them a safe bet on investment.

At the end of the day most customers buy a guitar with strings on. Then end product is what matters most. The journey of getting there happens how it happens.

When it comes to customers asking for copies of guitars it is because they like that sound! It is a reference point. Something heard on a cd. If you dont want to copy a sound say you don't want to build it.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 9:54:58

Anders Eliasson

SEden, you are not being fair:

I did not put my face on top of this website and its not me promoting anything. "El Guitarrero" DVD is 100% Simons work. I have absolutely no economical interest in the DVD. Simon promotes HIS work and thats why you se my face on the website.
Since it bothers you. (And yes it does because if not, you wouldnt have mentioned it) you have to contact Simon and figure out things with him.
Another thing is that its been very good for my business and I´m very thankfull for that. But more than anything, I´m happy that Simon did such a good work.

With respect of News from the workshop... Some of them have been about improvements that very few others have had the guts to do and so they´ve received a lot of discussion. Besides, I decided not to make any more because some builders like yourself didnt like the publicity it gave me. Instead I decided to make a blog so that interested persons can follow what I do. The blog is here:
http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
(This was a commercial)

Finally, I have no idea why you want to talk about publicity. This discussion has absolutely nothing to do with that. Its about something much more important than publicity. Its about respect for what guitarbuilding is and respect for different ways of building. Toms whole attitude during the 2 1/2 years he´s been here has an insult to that. Its not something I take personal. But the guy´s not doing guitar building any good. And unless you build his Reyes plan, then he´s not doing your business any good either.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 11:44:57

Arash

Anders is not a good promoter or businessman.
If he would be a perfect businessman, he wouldn't be so honest and direct sometimes and say everything which is on his mind.
Sometimes he even argued with potential customers and angered them.
He is just a good builder.

Also i think Tom Blacksheer is not a good Promoter or businessman either.
Otherwise he wouldn't go on peoples nerves with his plan too much and do it much more subtile.
He is just yet another good builder and "Plan maker".
He probably promotes his Plan non stop , just because of his Ego.

conclusion: none of you are really clever salesman, but just honest guitar luthiers who love what they do in a sometimes very passionate way

and thats GOOD!
this is a flamenco community and not a community of insurance agents trying to sell their crap to people.

so relax everyone. its all good imo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 12:13:03

Andy Culpepper

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Arash

quote:

so relax everyone. its all good imo

You are as wise as your avatar sir

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 12:37:16

Anders Eliasson

Arash

Do you want to be my manager?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 13:01:24

Stephen Eden

Actually I was being fair in the context of this part of the discussion.

You pointed out Toms constant plan marketing and I pointed out your marketing. Which I also said please don't think I am having a go at you for. I would love to have A dvd made of me building guitars and having my face on a forum others definately wouldn't! I choose not to post my instruments on the forum for my own reasons and also respect others choices hence the fact thus far, I have not put anyone down.

I don't use Toms plan and yet I don't feel hard done by his plan being in existance. I am yet to have anyone ask me to build toms plan. I haven't once felt insulted by one of Toms comments. I just don't understand why you and Stephen decided to double team Tom. If it was for treadig on toes why didn't I get affected! Seems to me like niether side wants to admit there are more than 1 RIGHT way of skinning a cat.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 14:10:44

TANúñez

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Sean

quote:

Speaking of bracing patterns Tom what happened with your Conde build? I was trying to follow it but it seemed to end with you were about to put the back on. Did anyone conclusively figure out the Conde mystery of bracing material yet? Not knowing is giving me a brain tumour

Sean, is this question for me or Tom Blackshear? Just curious because I currently build off a modern Conde design.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 16:04:27

Tam DL

"On the one hand you sarcastically poke bit of well deserved fun about national treasures drawing plans."

Well there are some well known people here, and elsewhere, and if the standard or content of plans bothers then, as has been expressed above, they have only to produce their own.

" Then on the other you mention Bogdanovich's book, I'm not sure of the direction you are taking your point. Maybe you are working in two directions at once."

Just an example of a book, plan, video, template, tools, materials empire in the building, and of the possibility of being more specific, since I think TB at least mentioned the difficulty of 2 dimensions.

"To me real guitar makers don't really use plans on a regular basis. Maybe there's plan or two around the shop to take a reference from or you might, but for the most part you work from measurements you keep in a book you compile from studies of guitars you see."

Beginners, as mentioned in reference to plans above, they aren't real guitar makers yet, and they need a starting point. But there are lots of real makers that do fairly faithful reproductions of certain instruments or styles. Oddly I see a lot of beginners who go wildly off the reservation, and a lot of expert makers who at some stage draw back more closely to a tradition, and as a result are pretty close to some kind of template. There are also a number of "real" makers who grew up in the business and are continuing a family tradition. That may be more in evidence in the future if some of the great post 1970s revival makers, like Hill, Romanillos, Fischer, etc... hand off to another generation.

"You keep plantillas traced from guitars you like and you modify them to suit you and your intentions."

To me that is a plan. It may not be on paper, but any half competent builder who has access to instruments doesn't need a plan to get miles ahead of what the plan maker gets from the paper. Any subsequent claims to the wind blowing in their hair as they fulfill their inner vibrations, vs. the plan builder, are laughable. So if you do repairs, or otherwise have access to a lot of instruments, you are many steps ahead as a copyist. It's like murder, kill one person you get life or the noose; kill a million and you get the Nobel prize. Copy one plan you're a hack; copy a hundred and move to the country of origin, and you're inspired by angels.

"What happens after you make so many guitars is that the measurements stick in your head. A real guitar maker can wake up in the middle of the night and call out numbers in inches or mm of any part of a the guitar. No plan is needed at that point."

So true, I make a number of things other than guitars, and I realized early on you need to know the whole object. I can calculate hydro for boats in my head, or do beam calcs. It's a little daunting when you realize for the first time that you actually have to know where every single mm of the surface needs to be, not just some general impression.

"There are a million little things a plan can't flesh out or explain, it's really quite a vague document without the knowledge of a maker to interpret it. A maker knows why the fans splay out at a certain width and why that point to the 10th fret or the 12th - the design is predicated on all the minute details a maker learns to juggle.'"

Right you are. Plans are weird. Many people reproduce the Hauser '37. We don't really know what that guitar meant to Hauser, whether if in building 20 version he would have actually stuck to one constant guitar, or varied it to take into account differences in the wood, etc...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 20:52:42

Andy Culpepper

Take out a piece of paper and a sharp pencil. Mark millimeters or 1/32"s without a ruler up to 25 mm or 1 inch. Then check yourself with the ruler. If you are within .5 mm, then you are a real luthier

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 22:15:09

estebanana

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Andy Culpepper

I gotta better one that that. When I was in sculpture school in one seminar class the teacher had us pin a three foot square piece of paper to the wall and draw a circle with a soft pencil. Then he said ok now make it perfectly round.

Round? What? How to do that without a compass we asked. He said by eye little by little. We stood in front of those circles that afternoon with an eraser an a pencil and drew and corrected until our circles became more and more perfect. The secret is to build the width of the line until it is a strip of graphite between a 1/4" and 5/8" inch wide which describes a circle. The you keep refining the inner and outer edges to be as round as possible. When you get a segment of either inner or outer edge you feel is pretty round, you then erase or add to the edge on the other side of that segment to make the band a constant width. You keep working around the circle according to where your eye takes you.

If you do this will it change the way you see curves.

You know what he did the next day? Straight line. Draw a straight line without a ruler. How? Same way as the circle. Make a vertical line three feet long on a paper pinned to a smooth wall. Erase it and correct it until you can hold a ruler to it to prove it's straight. It's a marvelous way of sharpening your way of seeing line, form and curve. Think it sounds boring and useless? Do it and see what it does for your mind.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 0:28:03

Ruphus

We had a similar case regarding colours, ages ago.
Our art teacher took us out in the park and let us draw big old trees.
Returned in the class it showed that almost everyone had painted the trees with green colour for the leaves and brown for the trunks, which is not how trees look like.
Instead you find a bunch of colours with the natural model, containing all shades of yellow, brown, green etc. and even unexpected ones like silver.
Bringing imagination closer to nature is a very entertaining thing.
( I would call it "working on methexis". hehe )

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 9:15:42

RobJe

RE: New vs Old (in reply to elgreco

So New vs Old? I seem to have lost the thread - pretty usual at my time of life.
I have read everything with interest and I feel compelled to make a confession. I have made an acccurate plan of a 1970s Conde - not a media luna but a signed one made with woods with slight blemishes. I then constructed a guitar from the plan using only hand tools and - guess what - it turned out to be excellent and I sold it to Paco. You can see it on

I promise never to refer to this again on the forum.
Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 17:32:35

Ron.M

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Stephen Eden

To be fair SEden...

Anders was a member on this Forum years ago when he was still working part-time in a guitar repair shop in Granada.
He showed his first complete guitars here...and has generally just been part of the Forum since it started and has always given advice and reported back on his experiences of guitar building, boat building, learning Flamenco and generally living in Spain.

No blatant advertising or promotion I was ever aware of...

Simon made the film as a documentary when he was living in Spain and Anders was living not too far away, so it was convenient.

That's all.

The only promotion I've ever seen are folk posting stuff saying how happy they have been with his guitars.

That's the straight facts.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 18:00:58

Stephen Eden

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 27 2011 19:26:31
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 19:26:16

Stephen Eden

Hahaha I was waiting for something like this cheers for not disapointing me Ron.M.

I can do only but disagree. A luthier forum like this works because of the kindness of the guitar makers that contribute to helping others. In exchange for the hours we put into helping others, we gain publicity simply by being involved. Let alone the other perks of being able to show our work off here and have direct links to our websites. See below

I was merely sticking up for Tom who does not deserve the bashing he recieved about his plan, his guitar making philosophy and his forum advertising.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 20:28:56

Ron.M

Yeah...OK.. so what is the guy meant to do?

Not help others..Not get involved...Not show or speak about his work and not publish a link to his website?

Even when everyone else is entitled to do that?

(Including yourself.)

I don't understand...unless maybe everyone who posts anything at all on this Forum is doing so just to advertise/promote himself/herself

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 20:40:12

estebanana

Stop whining Eden. Tom's an American cowboy and so am I. I just told another **** kicker to put up or shut up. If I had thought he was pathetic I would have never said anything. Tom is a big boy and he knows exactly what he's doing. If I had adopted the attitude of poor Tom he can't help himself that would have been pernicious on my part. I'm a straight shooter and I tell it like I see it. If your English ass has a problem with two Yanks having a wild West disagreement well I'm sorry I soiled your tea hour with my cowboy behavior.

He's going to come back and finish teaching his plan eventually. Does not mean we have to all be friends and falsely chummy because that will never happen. I fired one over Tom's bow and told him what I thought about some things he does. He talks over people and he swaggers around with his "reputation". The only way to get someone like that to pay attention is to be forward. Tom is not subtle and he does not give two turds about what I say or think about him even though he'll play for sympathy after what I said.

I'll tell you something else about Tom, he's one hell of a guitar maker. he's not my guitar maker and he's not my teacher and I don't agree with everything he says about guitars. And I certainly do not like some of his behavior. But he can make a guitar as well as anyone. And certain anyones can make a guitar as well as him. So my position is if there's someone who I think can make a guitar, but I don't like the way they are talking to me or my friends I reserve the right to tell them so.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 22:48:54

Andy Culpepper

quote:

So my position is if there's someone who I think can make a guitar, but I don't like the way they are talking to me or my friends I reserve the right to tell them so.

So what was that he said to you and your friends exactly?
It's funny because Tom actually is subtle from what I can tell on this forum. I can tell he tries to remain gracious, even jovial in the face of attacks. Definitely not a "cowboy". I have no particular reason to side with you or Tom, you both seem like decent people and good guitarmakers. But I find your outrage here a little strange.
What does it say about me that I'm a guitar maker but I take no offense at what Tom does or the attitude he brings? If I think of the word "bloviator" only one luthier's name on this forum really comes to mind.... but I actually enjoy your bloviating, even arrogant posts
I really don't care either way. It just seems weird.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 23:35:52

estebanana

Thank you, but bloviator is more like Rush Limbaugh or Sarah " Bulldog Lips" Palin. I'd rather be known as the George W. Bush of guitar making. In politics I'm liberal, but in guitar making I'm "The Decider".

Andy,

I was in art college for six years, from undergrad to grad school. I took a degree in sculpture, so I have a fair knowledge of art history and studio art. My father is a painter and others in my family are artists. I grew up around artists and artists egos, I pretty much have no fear of saying what I want to say about artists and their egos and how it works. In grad school you get reviewed by your peers and they can be pretty tough on you and you on them. I'll tell you nobody cares about your art or music except you. If you stop writing, making films or guitars or painting or anything creative nobody gives a crap. When you are hard on someone else and you say tough things it means you give a crap. Artists can rip one another apart and it's rough trade and I suppose that part of how I am. When you say what you think is the truth often times it makes you unpopular and you have to pay a price for what you have said. Eventually everything shakes out and what seemed a harsh thing to say might make sense. It's a risk to tell people what you think, but art, writing, painting and guitar making if it is being done to the best of your ability is all about risk.

When you enter your guitar shop and you think I'm going to do a Conde' or make a Hauser or whatever, that's a pretty shallow area of consciousness. Then as you work for an hour or two that consciousness drop away and you are who you are, Hauser has left the room and left you alone. After you work longer and you really get into your work pretty soon you leave the room, your ego has gone bye bye and there is nothing between you and the crazy mysterious flow of creating. People call that the void, the zone or whatever. We all go to that place and that's why we love creating. ( Of course you get a guitar after you go to that zone a hundred times:)

When you get to the egoless state and you are like a conduit for making this guitar you have a really good time. Hours can seem like minutes. You become calm and fulfilled. When one of your compadres forgets that that is what it is all about it's fair to clobber them back to consciousness.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2011 1:01:13

Arash

and Deteresa is Obama

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2011 1:10:27

estebanana

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Arash

quote:

and Deteresa is Obama

LOL

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2011 1:37:51

Andy Culpepper

quote:

I was in art college for six years, from undergrad to grad school.

lol. I can tell you were emotionally bruised by the process.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2011 1:55:03

Kubase

quote:

If your English ass has a problem with two Yanks having a wild West disagreement well I'm sorry I soiled your tea hour with my cowboy behavior.

Nice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2011 6:46:51

estebanana

quote:

lol. I can tell you were emotionally bruised by the process.

Should I give you the Obama fist bump for that stunning comeback?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2011 7:05:10

Stephen Eden

Ron.M - As I've said three times already I do not mind the advertising on the forum I support it as helps support the time the luthiers spend on the forum. I'm not even saying anything should be any different. I too am here advertising my name and proud to be part of it.

Andy - Good way of putting it. I read through the whole post looking for the insults made by Tom. Maybe someone could Highlight them just incase I'm to stupid to understand them. I wasn't trying to take sides Either Just didn't think Toms bashing is justified.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2011 9:21:32

Ron.M

quote:

Ron.M - As I've said three times already I do not mind the advertising on the forum

The difference is that you seem to see "normal" posts as "advertising" and I just see them as normal posts.

In that way, you could regard Ricardo, Grisha etc as "advertising" just by being on the Forum at all.

Anyway, I don't know how this all became so heated. (?)
I must admit I don't visit the Lutherie Forum that much, as I can't say I have a strong interest in the finer points of guitar building...
But I can't recall Tom B being pompous or condecending to other builders on the Forum unless I've missed something.

Maybe there's an undercurrent of stuff happening through the builder's grapevine of which I am unaware?

Personally I can't see what's wrong with TB building on the replicas of the old masters and other builders experimenting with their own ideas.
There's room for everyone surely.

If not, then IMO, that's just as outrageous as some of the nutty Oldschoolers here who think real Flamenco guitar playing came to an end in the early 70's.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2011 13:22:02
Page:   <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll