Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: New vs Old   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   4 5 [6] 7 8    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

Stephen
In the end it doesnt matter. Wheater you build your own design or someone elses you´ll have to devellop your own guitars, understand the wood, the bracing, make it suit your persobnal vibrations. I have a taste of sound and feel and i have to build to that taste never mind the design. If I wasnt doing so, I would be cheating myself and in the long run i would be a lousy luthier.
Design is basically just some little sticks on a 2,2mm piece of lumber with a hole. The rest is hard work, lots of dedication and loads of Blah - blah.
I´ve done copyes but I dont like any of the plans out there.... The LMI Barbero plan was the one that liked the most. The Sabicas Barbero plan and the Reyes Plan, I clearly dislike. But thats me and my way of building.
All roads lead to Rome and in guitar building that counts to.

Too bad you did not understand what I wrote.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 10:25:02

Tom Blackshear

RE: New vs Old (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

quote:

Stephen
In the end it doesnt matter. Wheater you build your own design or someone elses you´ll have to devellop your own guitars, understand the wood, the bracing, make it suit your persobnal vibrations. I have a taste of sound and feel and i have to build to that taste never mind the design. If I wasnt doing so, I would be cheating myself and in the long run i would be a lousy luthier.
Design is basically just some little sticks on a 2,2mm piece of lumber with a hole. The rest is hard work, lots of dedication and loads of Blah - blah.
I´ve done copyes but I dont like any of the plans out there.... The LMI Barbero plan was the one that liked the most. The Sabicas Barbero plan and the Reyes Plan, I clearly dislike. But thats me and my way of building.
All roads lead to Rome and in guitar building that counts to.

I understood it but sometimes it's better not to say anything. Everyone has got his own mental acuity and this is to say that no one is actually wrong but that we all have our idiosyncrasies and that we should expound on these with our innate talents.

No one has an absolute final say on what is the absolute final style or way in which to build. It usually comes down to particular taste in various designs. When I expound on the Reyes design or something similar, I don't expect all guitar builders to jump on the wagon of my good pleasure, I merely let builders know that I think the pattern is worth taking a look at.

I've had a few builders world-wide tell me that it is a good plan to build with but this is not going to appeal to all builders. I understand that everyone has their own mind about things.

But to tell me and others that the best way to build is in their own style by their own intuitive skills; although half true, is not the complete truth, because we all learn from other designs and voices in this world, and this would smack of a closed intellect, not only about sharing with others but trying to promote an exclusive sense of "My way is the best, and everyone should take note of it."

Most Spanish builders don't think this way, as I have known builders and artists, alike, who feel the system is secure when there is a sharing mode among their peers, either by investigating other designs or working directly with a master builder.

For example: The Granada builders who have studied alongside the master builders in that area reflect much of their work.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 14:26:46

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I think I did understand you. What makes you think that i didn´t?

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 16:55:25

Anders Eliasson

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

"My way is the best, and everyone should take note of it."

So who is saying this the most on this forum???

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 16:57:23

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

quote:

"My way is the best, and everyone should take note of it."

So who is saying this the most on this forum???

Amigo, show me where I ever said my way is the best, in these words, and I'll apologize :-)

I'm happy to acknowledge that Manuel Reyes knows what he is doing, and it's better not to get in a tennis match with all the builders that are using this plan for their enjoyment.

Manuel is known to be one of the greatest living flamenco guitar builders in the world. All I did was pay him that respect. And I don't make one dime off any of the sales of the GAL guitar plan. That was my free donation to the Guild.

I may draw Paco Del Gastor's 1969 Gerundino next, that he used to own, or a Santos; who knows, but this is to help all builders with the knowledge I've gained over the years and to honor the great master guitar builders for their contribution to the ART.

Would you at least permit me to do this, Maestro?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2011 21:32:11

estebanana

Tom,

You're basically cashing in on the imprimatur of Reyes' name by associating yourself so closely with his design. To a certain extent yes you have done a service to clarify guitar making to those who would like to build that plan. But on the other hand you drive it home over and over again that you are the one who has drawn the plan and that's great, but you're not expressing the other side of what it takes to grow as a guitar maker. In not voicing that side you're confusing the issue of original work with bench copy work.

I have no problem with you drawing any other guitar makers plan, but if you think for five seconds that I or anyone else trained to design from the ground up can't do the same thing you'e mistaken. You just happen to be in the seat of power and have a reputation so doors get opened to you to publish. Several of us who know how to analyze could do the same job without being sinverrguenza about hogging up the credit and being such self promotional bloviators.

The part that you are leaving out is salient, that is that copying is the road to understanding how the guitar works. We all do it from the beginning and that is how we learn to compare. But how about handing someone a yardstick, compass, T square and triangle and telling them to draw a model based on an orginal plantilla? People would wash out a lot faster, but those who could stick with it would learn how to parse through a design by any luthier and understand how it works. It' s like that novel by Somerset Maugham, The Razors Edge . The protagonist Larry seeks a life of contemplative learning and turns from his high born position to travel to the East and study Buddhism. Eventually he gets to a great master and practices away up in them thar North Indian hills, but after many years of study finally figures out that in order to self actuate he must burn his books, trust himself, and travel back into the world. Eventually any mature guitar maker will have to burn the Barbero plan, the Santos plantilla and the Reyes plan. You have to walk the razors edge alone. Students copy, mature artists invent themselves. ( If you don't want to spend the time to read the actual novel, I recommend the film The Razors Edge starring Bill Murrray as Larry. )

It's great that you have drawn this plan, but a plan is only a plan, it's like a standardized cafeteria recipe that anyone can make. It's accessable and it's universally understanadable on the surface. It is not teaching people how to cook from scratch or how to learn to taste. And thats fine, it's a starting place, but strive to not confuse it with the real work of knowing how componets of cuisine work together to make food. A master chef invents recipes according to his or her knowledge and exeperience in addtiion to looking up the occasional recipe on the internet.

A cookbook is a good start if you want to learn to cook, Julia Child wrote a great one which changed the history of cuisine in America, but at the same time she presented particular recipes, she also stressed the importance of learning to work the classical components of cuisine to invent fior one self. The part of guitar making that you are leaving out is the hard work that people like Reyes did to arrive at that guitar. It's not as simple as spoon feeding people a plan and then turning around and playing a victim if someone calls you on it. Julia Child had huge balls and she gave credit where credit is due.

And sure there's more than one way to reach your goal of being a guitar maker, but to impune by negelcting to mention the other more difficult path of actually working with sauces and gravies made from scratch is to throw out guys like Reyes himself. No one handed him a plan of a guitar purchased from GAL he had to learn from the ground up with compass, triangle, T square, making successes and failures along the way until it became clear. No one handed Maugham a plot sketch for any novel, he stole his ideas fair and square, internalized them, and then transformed them into his own ideas by a difficult long process of learning to write a novel.

I suppose you'll have some moist victimish rebuttal to my missive and that's great too. I could give a shiet, just stop throwing the master Reyes under the bus for the sake of your own ego.

May the sheep be with you,

S.

P. S' I'm not angry or disgusted, I'm still amused, but growing less so with the internet.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 1:14:32

Andy Culpepper

In the end it's just the same as criticizing luthiers for charging too much. It may seem wrong to you but if Tom wants to build Reyes copies and people want to buy them then more power to him. I don't really see any less art in doing that than making your own designs. Reyes used different designs and he didn't really "invent" anything either. A good guitar maker can make an exceptional instrument from just about any layout of braces, bridge patch etc. Most makers just settle on one or two designs that they prefer to use and work from there. I'm sure Tom's guitars don't sound identical to Reyes and he uses his own techniques of fine tuning.

Is Grisha any less of an artist than Jason McGuire? I don't think anyone can say that for sure.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 1:44:30

cathulu

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Andy Culpepper

I don't resemble that comment! My thing is when a luthier gets too expensive due to factors outside of build quality and sound, find a new one... let someone else pay.

Otherwise I stay out!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 1:57:14

Tom Blackshear

quote:

You're basically cashing in on the imprimatur of Reyes' name

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Tom,

You're basically cashing in on the imprimatur of Reyes' name by associating yourself so closely with his design.

Well, it's obvious that I hit a raw nerve somewhere :-)

But I'll ask you a quick question; cash, what cash. I make no money with this nor do I take any orders for guitars other than a couple a year, so what cash are you talking about?

I've built many master designs and have never been raked over the coals like this, so what's your problem?

Maybe I shouldn't ask.......

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 4:10:17

estebanana

I'm explaining to you what Anders tried to explain to you, but with over determined language so you would understand because you glossed over his concerns without too much deep thought. You don't respond to anything that is not in your field of vision unless it hits you out of the park. There is a very fundamental truth to what Anders was telling you and you pooped on it.

So now that I have your full attention...........think about it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 5:20:36

Tam DL

This all seems to be a distinction without much difference. I do use copies, like say the fox bender, I copy it because I don't want to buy it. I bought the standard violin bender, nobody will come into my shop and criticize me for that. It's iconic, so the issue of copying doesn't even come into it. Kinda strange though, copying it would have been harder.

I always say about my own copies, if it works I can't take any credit, if it fails, it's all my fault. Not very satisfying proposition.

So let me get this straight: People who live 3-6 thousand miles from Spain, and rely on GAL plans, a few lines on paper, are somehow The People Who Copy. Meanwhile people who are born in Spain, or move there, live and breath the Spanish Tradition, are all super original, no influences but the purity of their untouched hearts. Personally I think you should hit Tom with the appropriation of voice rhetoric, that other stuff ain't working.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 8:26:04

Anders Eliasson

Tom. I invite you to read the posts you made the first half a year you were a member here.
Maybe you didnt say directly that you were the best, but you said so many times that the only way of building a good flamenco guitar was to use the Reyes plan that you had drawn and (by the way) had made better on some point. It came to a point when it was a lot worse than if you had said that your way was the best. And it was a total lack of respect towards the builders building in another way than what you were tuting out loudly. You used your position to be more powerfull and you did it in a way that was total abuse.

It was a period where I (and most probably many other builders) received many mails asking me if I build that "fantastic" Reyes copy. I hated that and I hope I´ll never have to go through a period like that again.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 8:36:13

Anders Eliasson

quote:

It's great that you have drawn this plan, but a plan is only a plan, it's like a standardized cafeteria recipe that anyone can make. It's accessable and it's universally understanadable on the surface. It is not teaching people how to cook from scratch or how to learn to taste. And thats fine, it's a starting place, but strive to not confuse it with the real work of knowing how componets of cuisine work together to make food. A master chef invents recipes according to his or her knowledge and exeperience in addtiion to looking up the occasional recipe on the internet.

Stephen. A lot of very interesting points in this post and I fully agree.

I want to add one thing. IMO, Toms Reyes plan is a lousy plan for beginners. Why. Its way to advanced and way to "strange". Its basically an asymetrical bracing based on a symetrical layout of the braces. Thats very rare. And it means that when a beginner one day after having built from Toms Reyes plan want to build something else, then its like starting from scratch. the information you have from the Reyes plan cannot be used on other more traditional building styles. Its like teaching fine French cooking to beginners. You are jumping over the basics and loosing essential information doing that.

IMO it would have been a lot better to offer an older more traditional 7 piece strut Reyes plan with a symetrical bracing. This could have been an interesting plan for many of us and also for beginners.

The Sabicas Barbero plan has the same problem IMO. Its a weirdo plan. I would happily build some copies of interesting designs. I´m sure it would teach me something new. A Gerundino plan would be very interesting and so would a Conde plan. But right now, the quality of flamenco plans are low or the plans are to strange, so I keep on making my own designs and since I´ve done so for quite a while, I can imagine that I´ll continue doing so in the future.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 8:49:03

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I've thought about it a lot and this is the reason that I'm choosing to keep my words to myself.

You guys can go back and read your posts 10 years from now and see if you would have spoken it the same way.

I personally don't think it's wise to insult another person's character but keep to the basics of the guitar and how we can improve it.

God knows none of us are perfect.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 11:06:45

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I want to add one thing. IMO, Toms Reyes plan is a lousy plan for beginners. Why. Its way to advanced and way to "strange". Its basically an asymetrical bracing based on a symetrical layout of the braces. Thats very rare. And it means that when a beginner one day after having built from Toms Reyes plan want to build something else, then its like starting from scratch. the information you have from the Reyes plan cannot be used on other more traditional building styles. Its like teaching fine French cooking to beginners. You are jumping over the basics and loosing essential information doing that.

I'm glad that you say its your opinion, because there were a few first time builders who e-mailed me to say that their first guitar was good and sounded first class.

I've had e-mails from all over the world from builders of numerous experience saying that it's a great plan, and I've personally incorporated some of this plan's ideals in other styles for classical and flamenco guitars, and I can say that it works well for some other fan braced guitar styles.

The next guitar I'm going to experiment with is a 1934 Santos, using some things I've learned from the Reyes style.

BTW, I saw your style of fan brace, and I built something close to that 15 years ago. I incorporated Romanillos bottom stiffners. and used it with an earlier Gerundino pattern. It turned out fine. There is nothing new under the sun.

Over the years I've shared information with some builders that many of you know about, and they have treated it with professional conduct and used some of it to tweak their own models.

I understand that there is a place for everyone to speak his mind about things that he is familiar with, but until you find the time to investigate what I've done, then what you say, I have to take lightly.

BTW, I've built the Sabicas Barbero model and Richard Brune wanted to keep it for his collection. Why not say "The Brune plan is a hard build" rather than trying to make people think it's no good. It is a hard build and it took me 2 months to fine-tune it, but it is a good plan.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 11:41:30

Anders Eliasson

Both the Sabicas Barbero plan and your Reyes plan are well done and you can make a good sounding guitar out of both. As a flamenco guitarist I prefer the Barbero. Your Reyes is to classical, and its based on a guitar with a lousy flamenco setup. Guitars with a 10mm bridge setup work very differently from one with a 8mm bridge setup which is what the majority wants. So, IMO you chosed the wrong Reyes guitar to copy. Its a shame because he´s such a good builder

What I said before was that IMO your Reyes and Brune´s Barbero are not good beginners plans. They are both to weird.
When teaching, you normally make a learning curve which will include learning some basics. Using your Reyes plan is to jump over the leaning process. Yes, the guitar might sound good, but its going to be very difficult to relate to other ways of building and other sounds. Sounds that I consider to be much more flamenco. Its like starting to play flamenco using Cañizarez solo falsetas or starting to cook making Boef bourgignon.
You learn to do one thing but you have no context. Just like if you buy an advanced boatbuilding kit, you can produce a beautifull and capable boat, but it doesnt mean you´ve learnt much about boats and boatbuilding in general.

If you do another plan, I´ll most probably buy it and build it. This because I know you´ll do it with a lot of dedication and that the end result will be of a very high standard. This I respect A LOT

I´ve learnt to live with you Tom but I strongly disagree with a lot of what you write. And since your way of entering the show here on foro flamenco was the way it was, I take everything you write with a lot of distance. I´ve been here for 7 1/2 years and I´ve been on other forums as well and I´ve NEVER seen anyone entering a forum like you did. 100% autopromotion with your "fantastic" Reyes plan. a copy of the best guitar of the best builder in the world. A plan you had made and more important, that you had improved. You had improved the best guitar of the best builder in the world.
Besides you were all over the place with it. Making those of us not following your holy grail look like complete idiots.
Those were the days and I understand why you dont want to reread it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 12:21:22

Tom Blackshear

quote:

Both the Sabicas Barbero plan and your Reyes plan are well done and you can make a good sounding guitar out of both. As a flamenco guitarist I prefer the Barbero. Your Reyes is to classical, and its based on a guitar with a lousy flamenco setup.

Well, you have a point here, as the original guitar was set up close to 11 mm high at the bridge saddle on the bass side, but the actual plan was generic and was printed as the neck being level with the box, due to computer difficulties in making an exact printing of the raised neck level to the box. Most builders have understood this discrepancy. And I would have gladly explained it to you if you had asked.

And as far as the tone of this model, it can be adjusted by adding too or taking away some wood from the braces, but the pattern is solid and makes a good flamenco guitar. Most seasoned builders know how to treat the tone to their specifications. Otherwise the top timber and articulation are very flamenco. This is one reason I used this pattern. It has the right amount of stiffness without being too stiff.

If you want to create a higher frequency in this model, just add some height to the wood center fan braces. They have some relief now, so to add a little more open quality and depth to its tone.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 13:19:15

estebanana

quote:

Stephen. A lot of very interesting points in this post and I fully agree.

Yep, Beginners take note of this. Anders hits the nail on the head. Also I'm not going to stand for a Cult of Reyes driven market based on the plan for the the same reasons Anders won't build that plan.

It's not about being Spanish or being Japanese or American or subscribing to the GAL, it's not even about originality. It's about standing up for ones own work and asking others to realize that guitar makers who don't want to follow the latest trends or popular plans are doing it for reasons that buyers may not understand. Anders pointed out some of those reasons. Even intermediate guitar makers will not fully appreciate why.

All committed guitar makers are exploring what they need to explore within the confines of what a market will accept. Each one of us is different and after a guitar maker reaches a certain point of commitment he or she can't blindly follow a market trend without out risk of losing oneself and your personal line of investigation.

I'm with Anders I don't want an email asking for that popular Reyes plan because I'm busy trying to understand my own issues and problems that I set up for myself in guitar making. If some one is new to flamenco or building flamencos it might be a good plan for you. I'm going to be steadfast in not buying into the idea of setting up a mono culture that favors any one particular plan. I may not care for every detail that Peter John, Anders, or any of the other makers here design in to their guitars, but what I care deeply about and support is that they came to understand that that information they put in to their guitars by hard won personal investigation. I'm not going to watch that be undermined by one person pushing one plan.

As for Santos Hernandez, that is where most of us start, and most of us can build a Santos with one hand tied behind our backs. Only after we learned Santos's lessons we moved on. Like light years ago.

S.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 15:31:40

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I've thought about it a little more and have come to the conclusion that you can't stand the thought of any experienced builder coming on this list and talking about flamenco guitars, whether it is about a personal style of building or any Spanish master-plan that has captured the attention of builders world wide.

If I talked about my own style, which I can build with 50 years of experience, I believe you would respond the same negative way as with the Reyes plan.

It seems that you feel you have to protect yourself from all of this news about a Spanish guitar builder and his craft.

OK, enough. The GAL has sold many of these plans world wide, as one of their best selling plans. It's already done. It was to honor Manuel Reyes and his accomplishments, and this was an exciting thing for me as well as the Guild.

But because of your response, I think that I'll bow to your position here and hang up my hat from speaking anymore about guitar building. I have other things to do that give me a certain excitement in life, and things that don't include strife.

The best to you and Anders.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 17:14:24

Ron.M

quote:

But because of your response, I think that I'll bow to your position here and hang up my hat from speaking anymore about guitar building.

Tom,

If everybody did that, we'd have no members.

quote:

I have other things to do that give me a certain excitement in life, and things that don't include strife.

The best to you and Anders.

Tom...Believe me...after some 7 years here I recognise the "I've got better things to do with my life...like practise.." classic suicide note.

It's only a discussion Forum thaar Tom...

Don't take it all so seriously.

You're never going to get everyone to agree with you... so you just shrug your shoulders and accept it.

That's what I do anyway.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 17:59:47

Stephen Eden

poor Tom just likes talking about other guitar makers that inspire his work. It's alot less conceted than talking about yourself and how good your own designs work!
There are millions of guitars out there by some of the biggest names in the business all making Torres, Hauser, Santos, Fleta and using there names to sell said guitar. It's just marketing and I wouldn't blame it soley on the americans either.

Anders and Estebanana it is your choice to choose how to market your guitars but it is not fair for to you to criticise the way others choose to market their instruments or other aspects of their business. It is very typical for the people out there who feel under appreicated to critise others more successful than themselves. Tom has not critisised you for the way you operate. He offers advice based on his experience. It may come in the form of him talking about his Reyes plan to achieve his point but those are his experiences.

Tom's not sitting in his workshop wondering why no body is talking about how good his own plan is. Tom's there selling guitars for $10'000! not an easy task for anyone I am sure. Making a good guitar from a plan is still not as easy painting by numbers so if the guitar doesn't sound $10000 it won't sell.

Tom is clearly an accomplished builder and has alot to give to guitar making comunity that I am sure many people are thankful for.

I remember Stephen Hill telling me about the guitar he built using Toms plan, He had the opertunity to show it to Reyes Snr who thought Stephen had put his label over Reyes's Label. The plan clearly works well.

To me anyone using 7 fans is just copying Torres anyway.

Peace out

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 19:25:41

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Anders and Estebanana it is your choice to choose how to market your guitars but it is not fair for to you to criticise the way others choose to market their instruments or other aspects of their business. It is very typical for the people out there who feel under appreicated to critise others more successful than themselves. Tom has not critisised you for the way you operate. He offers advice based on his experience. It may come in the form of him talking about his Reyes plan to achieve his point but those are his experiences.

Fortunately I´ve never felt underappreciated on this forum and no other builder have made feel like being less or something like that. BUT only one builder has been tooting out loudly about his improved Reyes plan. I think you were here when Tom entered the show. If not you can go back and reread the endless amount of threads and discussions about that darn plan.

I agree that all 7 piece fan bracings are basically Torres (and so are 5 piece bracings IMO) There´s so much you can do with that concept. Changing thickness, width, angle of braces. Size of closing struts, cutoffs in the lower bout etc. There´s enough for a lifetime.
M. Reyes guitars are in that group as well and noone, not even me have said that they are bad or that the plan doesnt work well!!!!! I respect all good luthiers and M. Reyes is one of the best all times. But I still think its a wrong thing to call TomB´s plan for a beginners plan. Its very advanced and doesnt teach the basics of Torres/Spanish bracing. Besides, Stephen Hill did make some changes, like leaving out those weird little blocks in the lower bout. I can remember the guitar and the story with M. Reyes

Its no secret that TomB and his improved Reyes plan is not my cup of tea. But it doesnt mean that I cant live with him (or the plan). The last couple of years have shown this. Sometimes we crash as other forum members do but its been very little the last year or two. Thats forum life. Besides, being a Luthier is a passionate thing and dont expect us to agree all the time. I dont want TomB to leave, he´s a valuable member. But I´m not going to cry either if he does.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 19:55:15

Anders Eliasson

A Parallel story:

Last time I spoke to José Luis Postigo, who is a very good player, who has a shop in Sevilla and a very interesting collection of high end flamenco guitars, specializing in Reyes which is what he plays himself.
He told me that Vicente Amigo had changed his Reyes Blanca to another Reyes blanca from Postigos collection.
The reason: V. Amigo found that the one he had was to classical......

So, I´m not the only one saying that M. Reyes guitars can be very classical and full of harmonics and sustain. They have their followers and they suit lyrical players like V. Amigo and Postigo very well.
But its only one style of flamenco guitars. I personally prefer a raspier, faster and more percussive instrument. My goal is to be between a good Reyes and a good Conde, with more weight on the good conde.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 20:11:38

estebanana

Yes poor Tom. He who has been talking tough the last 8 months and putting down the younger guys with his overbearing attitude. He gets a legitimate crit leveled at him and he's a victim?

Tom has been bragging about selling only two guitars a year and not making any money, but that it's ok with him because he's set in life. Well I'm happy for that, but many of the rest of us are not set up in life and we have to do our work for another 15, 25 or 35 years and well, many of us don't want to have to make what Tom tries to push.

I just want a level playing field. I don't want an older maker to condescend to me. And if they do ,I have the right to tell them to get stuffed. I have the right point a critical review at whomever I feel is crossing ethical boundaries or disrespecting me or others.

I think Tom is not used to having people critique him. And I'm not jealous in any way of Tom's skills or knowledge. And instead of Tom taking his ball and going home, I hope he stays and teaches his Reyes copy to anyone who wants it.

What I really wish Tom would do is simply LISTEN others more carefully before he opens his mouth. Listening means you don't give lip service to another persons position, it means you actually self reflectively consider them as a person with something to say and not talk over them or deliver oblique put downs to them in public.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2011 21:14:56

TANúñez

quote:

On the photo you see the bracing system that I´ve used the most. Its soooooooooo traditional and you can clearly see where I have my inspiration from. But its not a copy.

This is nice. I think I will copy it.

All joking aside, this is nice Anders. I'm sure it also sounds as nice as it is constructed.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 0:32:58

DoctorX2k2

Geez...

I've always read the Luthier section of the foro... because I have some level of interest about guitarmaking since I built my one and only guitar. I don't quite understand why Anders and Stephen react they way they do though. I've read the older posts before and I've never felt that Tom Blackshear was condescending at all. Sure, he does talk about his plan... so what? If it's good or not, I don't care. He never pushed anyone into changing their designs to his. He only told some newbies interested in building guitars that his plan was available and praised it. Is he saying that it's the best design? No. Is he saying that it's a good plan? Yes.

But you two really took it up to a personal level. Why? Who knows. Did he ever talked you down about the guitars you build? Not that I know of. You keep bashing on him trying to raise your own selves. "Americans copy, that's what they're good at", "Tom doesn't catch the essence of guitarmaking, the true spirit of the old Spanish builders...", "My design is better than yours", all that kind of nonsense. You don't agree with his methods, so be it and let the guy do what he has to do, which is build guitars. If he wants to talk about his approach, then let him talk so people that might be interested can enjoy it even though you disagree. In the hand, it's in the hands of the PLAYERS.

Stop arguing about nonsense and EXCHANGE information about building, not about who did what and how great one is compared to another, or how some Reyes sound classical, nobody cares, it's a matter of personal taste. It's not a penis contest darn it. Exchange about gigs, top tuning, woods, processes, etc. Please stop talking about how evil someone is because he pushes the marketing of his guitars forward more than you do.

You all make GREAT guitars, yet very different. You approach your job in different manners... but this thread has reached a new level of self intellectual masturbation.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 0:47:59

Sean

Speaking of bracing patterns Tom what happened with your Conde build? I was trying to follow it but it seemed to end with you were about to put the back on. Did anyone conclusively figure out the Conde mystery of bracing material yet? Not knowing is giving me a brain tumour
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 1:25:28

estebanana

RE: New vs Old (in reply to DoctorX2k2

quote:

Stop arguing about nonsense and EXCHANGE information about building, not about who did what and how great one is compared to another, or how some Reyes sound classical, nobody cares, it's a matter of personal taste. It's not a penis contest darn it. Exchange about gigs, top tuning, woods, processes, etc.

***** Please stop talking about how evil someone is because he pushes the marketing of his guitars forward more than you do.

You're right to a certain extent it's not a penis contest. Penis contests are pretty much reserved for flamenco guitarists.

I love this joke:

How many flamenco guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

Seven. One to change the light bulb and six to stand back with arms folded over their chests all whispering " I could do that."

Ever wonder what is really behind all that thumb nail comparing.............

Anyway.

I'm sorry you are frustrated with Anders and I. Doctor X ( I like that handle) I'm not going to back peddle and drag Tom through the mud again and recount for you the things I think he did that are wrong. I've said what I wanted to say and I have good reason for saying it.

I do see you wrote you would like to see more exchange of information about the nuts and bolts of guitar making. Well that's much more difficult when one or two people are pushing themselves commercially much harder than others.
It sets up an asymetrical power dynamic where makers may think, why should I give information to a guy who's angling to out do me in the market place? There are some guitar maker chat sites where no commercial promotion is allowed and the discussion is more pure and focused on the nuts and bolts. Those sites are also heavily moderated and it's a trade off between a freewheeling crazy talk sites an one that is more like a library.

To Anders and I our point is not nonsense, I think perhaps it's more cultural. He and I have a different idea about guitar making culture and we want to see it be acknowledged if not respected. Cultural issues always have more gray areas, and are sometimes difficult to explain. In flamenco music there is some protocol and some form, there is a way to conduct yourself with respect to the art of others. In a subtle, but definite way Anders and I are try to articulate what our boundaries are in terms of how we see guitar making culture. If your boundaries get transgressed you have the right to ask that they not be. If that asking for respect of boundaries goes unheard or is not taken seriously, well then you get a rude awakening. There may even be others makers here that feel that way but they are wisely staying quiet and letting A & S be the turds in the punch bowl.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 2:24:16

a_arnold

quote:

Ever wonder what is really behind all that thumb nail comparing.............

I never thought I'd look forward to a thread about thumb nail envy...

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 2:44:55

Tam DL

So what exactly is stopping the other national treasures on this forum from producing Flamenco plans?

I actually do agree, that a lot of the plans out there aren't practical, they come out of some relatively meaningless connection. Some guy repairs an instrument by some famous maker, but not one of his noteworthy instruments, and sends it off to GAL.

The first classical plan they published was by a relatively lesser known maker, about a relatively hated style of building, of which her example was a departure from the norm, because she had set aside some core principles. That kind of thing.

A shop that has come on recently and is offering all kinds of plan stuff, is by a bunch of guys who used to be kitchen makers, and have for sure never seen the guitars they are providing plans and templates for.

A plan is more than the plan view of a soundboard. A real plan would be hugely more comprehensive, look at what Bogdonovich has done, whatever you think of the guitar or method, it is abundantly explained, though even he holds back, and dumbs it down. There is still a place for someone who really wants to, to get out there and do it.

How tough can it be to get a plan out there if one produces something serious with the customer in mind.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2011 7:03:09
Page:   <<   <   4 5 [6] 7 8    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   4 5 [6] 7 8    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post