Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: New vs Old   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Patrick

RE: New vs Old (in reply to elgreco

quote:

But unfortunately the latest conde sold at ebay was a 2005 A26 and it had an asking price of $8000

Well actually no it didn't sell at all. In this economy, in the US a 2005 A26 will go in the range of $4,000 to $5,500.

You don't think old school can be built into a new guitar? Here is a link of a recording I did on a Shelton Farretta. The guitar was probably no more than a year old when I did the recording.

http://www.lafalseta.com/Shelton_Farretta_flamencos.html

And at $3,000
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:00:58

a_arnold

RE: New vs Old (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

A good guitar is a good guitar. Regardless of it's maker.

I'll second Tom and suggest that

A good guitar is a good guitar regardless of when it was made.

There are plenty of fantastic guitars at affordable prices out there, but they are made by luthiers who aren't famous. Most famous luthiers (at least at some point) did something to deserve their reputation; that said, I think most people pay more for famous name luthiers because most people rely on price tag, label, or salesmanship rather than their own judgment to tell them which guitar is best.

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:11:39

elgreco

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Patrick

What do you mean it didn't sell at all? I have a private message from the ebay seller that he told me that he sold it for $7500 while I was trying to argue with him exactly what you are saying. The most recent A26 foroflamenco classifieds post listed a 2001 A26 for $6000. GSP here at San Fran sells the 93 unsigned Conde for $3700. But if you can find me a 2005 A26 for 4K let's talk.

D.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Patrick

Well actually no it didn't sell at all. In this economy, in the US a 2005 A26 will go in the range of $4,000 to $5,500.

Captain Esteban: Caballeros! I believe you all know each other?
Don Diego from San Fernando.
Don Francisco from San Jose.
Don Fernando from San Diego.
Don Jose from San Bernardino.
Luis Obispo from Bakersfield.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:12:56

BarkellWH

quote:

Even statisticians claim that there is 100% probability that 1+1=2. You may want to call the statement 1+1=2 a zeitgeist, but I call it a fact.

You are confusing a mathematical certainty that has proof (1 + 1 = 2) with zeitgeist, which is an intellectual or cultural phenomenon that at times drives many in the same direction. You must really learn the difference between mathematics with proofs and opinions about which guitars are best, old or new.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:19:18

elgreco

RE: New vs Old (in reply to BarkellWH

I think you are right. :) But I still believe that my statement about Condes is a mathematical certainty. That is my opinion.

Dinos

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

quote:

Even statisticians claim that there is 100% probability that 1+1=2. You may want to call the statement 1+1=2 a zeitgeist, but I call it a fact.

You are confusing a mathematical certainty that has proof (1 + 1 = 2) with zeitgeist, which is an intellectual or cultural phenomenon that at times drives many in the same direction. You must really learn the difference between mathematics with proofs and opinions about which guitars are best, old or new.

Cheers,

Bill

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:24:40

Patrick

quote:

What do you mean it didn't sell at all? I have a private message from the ebay seller that he told me that he sold it for $7500 while I was trying to argue with him exactly what you are saying. The most recent A26 foroflamenco classifieds post listed a 2001 A26 for $6000. GSP here at San Fran sells the 93 unsigned Conde for $3700. But if you can find me a 2005 A26 for 4K let's talk

It says it didn't sell via the EBay listing you showed. If he sold it for $7,500 it was not from this listing. Maybe some guy played it and felt it was worth $7,500. All I am saying is in this economy, trying to get much above $5,500 is going to be a hard sell.

Just because stuff gets listed for a price doesn't always equate to a sale. I believe the one you mentioned for $6,000 never sold. I recently saw the same guitar on Craigslist for the same $6,000. $4,000 for an A26? Find the right guy at the right time and anything is possible. When you are about to have your house foreclosed on, people do what ever it takes.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:35:35

lowden

In defence of old guitars:

I have a Michael Gee 1978 classical guitar and it sounds superb. The balance between the bass and trebles is excellent. The projection is brilliant. however, the action leaves alot to be desired.
If the action and playability was equal to that of my Anders guitar (2010)I dont know which I would say sounds the best.

Both are high quality luthiere guitars irrespective of age, however I appreciate that all opinions are subjective to personal opinion.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:36:44

elgreco

Great guitar and great guitar playing. I believe that old school can and should be built into new guitars. But I do not think it happens as much anymore. Most new guitars are a lot jazzier and the sound a lot cleaner. Not sure if this is a direction set by luthiers or the artists.

D.

quote:

quote:

You don't think old school can be built into a new guitar? Here is a link of a recording I did on a Shelton Farretta. The guitar was probably no more than a year old when I did the recording.

http://www.lafalseta.com/Shelton_Farretta_flamencos.html

And at $3,000

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:37:12

Ruphus

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

Ruphus.
Maybe you´re right and maybe its a myth that guitars get tired with age.

BUT, there are a couple of things going against old guitars.
The soundboard is basically flat. The dome is so small that you cant really talk about egg shape. This means that most guitars start to "dish" in front of the bridge with age. With this I mean that the soundboard start to sink. The bridge and the drag of the strings make this worse. Many old guitars have an S shaped soundboard when seeform the sides. When it starts to do so it looses strength.

Either such or for instance the neck bending, like with my old Ramirez blanca where the saddle has come to its end. ( Being fine still, but having no reserve.)
This specimen has probaly not weakened in response, as it being immediate and loud, even in the upper register that won´t soften at all when you go up the neck.

Generally, I have no doubts about thelike deformed shapes to typically be found with older guitars.
But the question is whether such was to be inevitable through time, which I would not think to be the case.

Older guitars will potentially have seen greater incidence of having been through inadequate conditions, like having been stored near heatings or left in trunks during hot summers etc. Me would suspect causa to mainly be laying in thelike climate or impact issues, - unless structure was to be unusual, like with say exceptionally thin tops without extra bracing or so.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

Especially stell string guitars suffer this because many owners leave them with old strings on and the tension of steel strings rises when they vibrate and get old. It looses its elasticity.

I always appreciate to learn about such significant facts!
So, do I understand correctly that either:

#
Steel strings lose elasticity ( altering molecular grid structure over time), which will not matter as long as them being slack with the guitar stored away. The moment however that you pitch them up, the pull will be much stronger than with fresh strings.

# Or ist that they only lose elasticity when in use, constantly streching farther while you keep bringing them up to tune in the same time, until they reach the end of their pliability, starting to excert much more pull?

However your reply will be: This must be essential and extremely useful info for anyone who owns steelers.
Guess, I will be much more cautious about old steel strings from now on.

Thank you in advance!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:39:41

elgreco

Patrick,

If you read the whole thread you will see that Güiro bought the guitar from sandiacrest. The ebay seller sold the guitar 2 days after it was listed because some ebay buyer made an inquiry and an offer. So he just froze the listing. In Spain 1 out of 3 people do not have a job but Condes increased their prices this year and so did GSI here in America. I tried to negotiate with all aforementioned sellers to no avail.

:(
Dinos

quote:

quote:

What do you mean it didn't sell at all? I have a private message from the ebay seller that he told me that he sold it for $7500 while I was trying to argue with him exactly what you are saying. The most recent A26 foroflamenco classifieds post listed a 2001 A26 for $6000. GSP here at San Fran sells the 93 unsigned Conde for $3700. But if you can find me a 2005 A26 for 4K let's talk

It says it didn't sell via the EBay listing you showed. If he sold it for $7,500 it was not from this listing. Maybe some guy played it and felt it was worth $7,500. All I am saying is in this economy, trying to get much above $5,500 is going to be a hard sell.

Just because stuff gets listed for a price doesn't always equate to a sale. I believe the one you mentioned for $6,000 never sold. I recently saw the same guitar on Craigslist for the same $6,000. $4,000 for an A26? Find the right guy at the right time and anything is possible. When you are about to have your house foreclosed on, people do what ever it takes.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:43:05

Anders Eliasson

if you bend a piece of steel enough times it´ll break beacause it looses elasticity and gets stiffer.
Even though you just leave the strings on without playing but tuned to pitch, they loose elasticity and will automatically get a higher tension. If you slacken strings, this wont happen.
Its years ago that I learned this and sunce I´m not a physician, I cannot go into deeper explanation. I was taught this by someone who was able to explain the big why.
I´m sure that you can find an explanation on the net.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:49:29

Ruphus

Muchas gracias! :O)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:53:29

Ruphus

Oh and ...
I have seen music stores in the Middle East in which the owners would not only completely slacken their guitars, but run and slacken them immediately after you had pitched them up for trial.

Maybe these silly people had picked a notion from the steel fraction and anxciously applied it to nylons.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 18:58:32

Ron.M

quote:

In Spain 1 out of 3 people do not have a job but Condes

Please excuse this nice example of taking somebody's words totally out of context.

I just thought it was a nice image though...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 19:13:38

elgreco

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Ron.M

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2011 19:14:25

Doitsujin

quote:

New vs Old

So, what´s the score till now?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2011 12:21:14

RobJe

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Doitsujin

Compare like with like
Good old guitars 100 lousy old guitars 0
Good modern guitars 100 lousy modern guitars 0
By the way, what is the old/modern cut off? 1970?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2011 13:54:56

elgreco

RE: New vs Old (in reply to RobJe

I guess it all depends on the brand. IT IS MANY PEOPLE'S OPINION that 2003 was a year that Condes started losing some(most) of their past glory.

Dinos

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobJe

Compare like with like
Good old guitars 100 lousy old guitars 0
Good modern guitars 100 lousy modern guitars 0
By the way, what is the old/modern cut off? 1970?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2011 14:41:20

elgreco

RE: New vs Old (in reply to Doitsujin

Not sure what score you are keeping up with but Olympiacos beat Panathinaikos 65-61 which was the only score I cared about.

Dinos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

quote:

New vs Old

So, what´s the score till now?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2011 14:46:16

TANúñez

quote:

I guess it all depends on the brand. IT IS MANY PEOPLE'S OPINION that 2003 was a year that Condes started losing some(most) of their past glory

These opinions just keep getting better and better.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2011 16:02:10

elgreco

RE: New vs Old (in reply to TANúñez

What do you want me to do? Lie?

quote:

ORIGINAL: TANúñez

quote:

I guess it all depends on the brand. IT IS MANY PEOPLE'S OPINION that 2003 was a year that Condes started losing some(most) of their past glory

These opinions just keep getting better and better.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2011 16:09:24

keith

quote:

I think what happened here was the ideal outcome. My opinion came closer to the center and the other extreme's opinion did the same.

elgreco: I am not sure the above statement made by you is quite correct. Your opinion could be seen as extreme but the opinions I read made by others did not strike me as extreme and therefore those "extreme opinions" made by others were, in fact, already near center--or if they were extreme in the beginning I did not see any radical movement towards center.

I am kind of wondering what exactly you want out of this thread. I think it is fine to say " I like X and do not like Y" but when comparing X to Y one needs some criteria to make that judgement and i have not seen any data that suggests old is better than new and vice versa. As to prices of old guitars made by luthiers considered to be master grade, again it really is a matter of what the market wants and the intangibles connected to the object. A given older guitar may sell for more given a lot of intangibles none of which may be auditory related. I am sure a spoon used by Paco would sell for more than the same spoon sold by me even though they may be the exact same spoon. Likewise, there are many guitars patterned after "a classic" which sound better than the original--at least to some ears--yet will not command the same price if placed on the block.

As another example, I once again will reference those two late 50's Rolex Milsubs that sold for $63K and $66K respectively. I think most experts would say a 2010 Rolex Milsub is technically superior to those late 50's Rolex Milsubs and therefore should sell for more but it does not. Why? The late 50's Milsubs were the James Bond watch and therefore command a much higher price.

As a last point, if you are going to present several ideas or sub-ideas, please use paragraphs as it makes it easier for your audience to read than one extremely long paragraph.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2011 16:35:08

TANúñez

quote:

What do you want me to do? Lie?

No of course not. It just seems that your opinions are based more on the opinions of others more than forming them based on your personal experiences. I'm not sure how much experience you have with the flamenco guitar but if you do not have much, then I understand why you value the opinions of others. When your new, you often have no choice. I'm just saying take everything you hear with a grain of salt and do not take it as written in stone. As you get more experience, you'll find the answers on your own. A lot of people who tell you things will often not know much about what they are talking about as well. Hell, I am not even sure I know what I'm talking about. Just keep an open mind my friend. This whole thread has been interesting and even entertaining.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2011 18:04:17

Anders Eliasson

I agree with you Tom and just want to add:

Be carefull with making internetopinions your own opinions. There are so many fakers out there. Persons who think they know a lot, but who knows very little about what they write. Some have a lot of money and are capable of buying a lot of very expensive guitars. Both new and old. They use this to create themselves an image as experts. Then they are Joe something and feel important.
Reality is that some of those have no idea about flamenco and flamenco guitars. They strugle with the chord change from E to F in solea and cant produce a flamenco tone. ¿How can they know anything?
It takes many years and lots of playing to be order to judge a flamenco guitar thoroughly.
Internet has been good for spreading knowledge, but there´s a lot of bad and wrong knowledge out there. Also concerning flamenco and flamenco guitars.

My advice is. Read opinions, but dont make them your own opinions. Wait untill you´ve tried a lot of guitars. This way you might be surprised and find something that´ll be special for you. If not you´ll just end up being another mainstream flamenco columnist who share the same opinions as the rest. Pretty boring, no?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2011 7:31:15

elgreco

RE: New vs Old (in reply to keith

Keith,

My name is Dino. If you had read my posts more carefully you would know my name and my intentions a little better. I do not agree with you that my views were extreme. The only people that found my opinions extreme were a 2-3 younger generation luthiers and guitar resellers. Do you think that this is a coincidence? So they chose to focus not on what I said but how I said it. I can assure you that I had no intention to hurt people's sensitivities (blood, sweat and tears as Anders put it). Maybe I chose to start the thread on the wrong list. I thought (and still think) it was the ideal list but perhaps I phrased my assumption in a way that could be easily misinterpreted as a personal attack to the most prominent members of this list that apparently have their own rules and expect people to obey them. That was an oversight on my part, but there is no excuse and I managed to piss off the very people that I wanted to hear back from, since they are the subject matter experts. I apologized for that, it was the least I could do. Then of course, there were some of their lackeys that accused me of trolling, unfairly in my opinion. The fact that the admins did not intervene, I think proves that.

What I got from the rest of the people's responses were (generalizing a little bit):
1. Old guitars are not better than the new ones, they are worse. They are just more expensive because of the collectors that push up the prices. What you said is bogus. (Acceptable)
2. Old guitars are better, they have a flair maybe because of the age effect or their history, the wood etc. The younger sons of famous luthiers would rather enjoy their parents fortune than build new good guitars with passion and dedication. (also acceptable)
3. Old guitars are equal to the new ones and there are no secrets that luthiers can hide from their apprentices. I own one of each and I am equally happy with both. (makes perfect sense)
4. Old guitars are better in some things and worse in other things. I used to own an old guitar but now i have seen the light and own a new (also). (acceptable also)
5. Tom said that it is impossible to compare a new guitar to an old one (different design etc) I thought this was a very interesting response but I am not sure what to make of it.

I think this had an ideal outcome for me because now:
1. I have learned a better etiquette for creating a thread. From now on I won't just say 1 + 1 = 2. I will say:
It is many other people's opinion (not my own) that <paragraph>
1+1=2.
A few more keystrokes, but if it helps people to focus more on the 1+1=2 then so be it.

2. I have definitely reevaluated my belief that old guitars were unfathomed, something that before I considered widely accepted. From my first response to you I said "But I am glad that there are people out there that put my original assumption to the question." An extremist does not really welcome challenges of his assumptions. I also believe that the young luthiers and guitar resellers are now aware of my, extreme as you call it, opinion. It may not be mine but it is definitely someone's that I consider sensible. It is guitar teachers, flamenco friends, local guitarists (professional and amateur) that I have chatted with and exchanged ideas, they are the opinions of a lot forum members, they are even the opinions of the people that I tried to buy guitars from.

I do not think your examples apply. Not all old guitars were played by famous guitarists. But all old guitars are expensive. I do not think all 50s watches and spoons are expensive. Only those touched by Paco or James.

I think this thread is dead but if you think we can revitalize it, let's give it a try.

It is my opinion that old guitars are different in some ways from the contemporary ones. Some of those differences are better and some "maybe" worse. I would like to know why are there differences. Explain to me what sucks in older guitars and why? Was it the old luthiers? Their designs? The wood? Explain to me what sucks in the new guitars and why? Less old school sound? Are there financial incentives for luthiers for adopting some new practices (choosing cheaper (in price) woods etc)? Did the new luthiers develop new techniques and rejected some old ones? How did that affect the sound of the new guitars? Did they -have to- (re)discover some tricks on their own? How did many guitar houses deteriorate? One specific example is wooden pegs. From what I understand old flamenco guitar makers used wooden instead of machine pegs because it was cheaper. Most modern guitars have machine heads. So that is one difference of new vs old. Does that have an effect on the guitar? Does it make it better or worse? How?

It is time to go to bed.

Cheers
Dino

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2011 7:54:16

Ron.M

quote:

My name is Dino. If you had read my posts more carefully you would know my name

Elgreco (Dino),

Generally the preference is to use the screen name, as when members start using personal names it can get confusing for new members to know who is addressing whom in a long thread.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2011 8:43:14

keith

elgreco(dino)--i think the horse is dead and whipping it ain't going to bring it back to life. as to the use of the word, extreme, i actually used your words. when one says they are moving to/have moved to center then the implication is they were coming from a position away from center which implies a degree of extreme. please note that i used the words, your position could be... and did not use the word, was.

there is nothing wrong with saying old is better than new but two conditions must be met. if there is no data to support this claim the phrase, "in my opinion" or better yet, "i like the old sound as compared to the new sound" must be used. opinions are often based on what we like and it is ok to say so. if data exists then it is ok to say, the data says old is better than new as evident by....however, you must be able to prove it. this is basic scientific research in action. just remember though we are talking about an object that makes a sound and the ears of folks have different preferences so all the data in the world may not always be conclusive.

as to your intention--i was unaware of your intentions in this thread was anything other than to have a discussion. as to the outcome, i was unaware that you learned, as you stated, better etiquette. your original statement sounded as if the outcome was people with extreme opinions moved towards center and your opinion moved that way as well. i am not sure if outcome, in this case, was linked to intent.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2011 9:40:17

Anders Eliasson

quote:

t is my opinion that old guitars are different in some ways from the contemporary ones. Some of those differences are better and some "maybe" worse. I would like to know why are there differences.

I would like to comment on this one because its the central part of the thread.
I agree. There´s difference. And I dont think/feel the difference is based on what Dinos said in his first thread, that some luthier secret has been lost.
The difference is basically age. Now thats pretty logical. Guitars change a lot with age. The huge majority gets better during their first decade or two. Then they level out and most of them start a decay when some more decades old.

Old guitars have a charm. Ricardo called it a story. And i agree. A good old guitar is a vonderfull thing to own and play. They are stable and with a personal character. They are not going to change their voice because you start playing them.
New guitars have another charm. A raw virgin like response to what you do to them. They react a lot and very directly. And its a very interesting thing to follow the devellopment of a new guitar. Sometimes they can be harsh but during time and with playing they get softer. They start fitting better into yor hands and start sounding more like you want them to sound. You have this feeling that you are creating their voice and response. They are still in a process of being created and you are participating in that process.

Since this is my opinion, its also pretty logical that I find it impossible or very difficult to compare old and new guitars. They are in different moments of their life and thus are in different levels of being created. They are two different things with a similar shape.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2011 10:29:44

Ruphus

Opinons

Pretty much all experts I have communicated with showed to be annoyed of guitar forums, saying that there was too much cluelessness.

Being far away from expertise myself, a couple of the thoughtless principles have become obvious even to me, which being that ( especially among American fellows ) there exist some incoherent cliches bound to either fame or sales numbers.
Accordingly, sales numbers were to indicate quality, and great players automatically were to be just as proficient in neighbouring realms, hence highly skilled on guitar evaluation and teaching in the same time.

From there for instance irrational phenomenons like whatever guitar brand used in a performance by a V.I.P, will jump up in price immediatedly ( with only rare exceptions, like with Lester DeVoe who kept his prices almost idle despite customers like Sabicas or deLucia / yet raised sales price a bit just of late ).

The most prominent example of mythological prestige being the Ramirez reputation after Segovia.
( Something I deared to oppose in classical guitar forums after having experienced how this manufacturer overdoes milking his image, by selling prime models for price of a car regardless, even if them showing to be of mediocre quality. - With me thus been under heavy fire in the first years, but much lesser so meanwhile.)

As everyone notes, the internet can be perpetuum mobile for myths, but it can much more than that be quite informing.
I at least am very thankful for its merrits, comparing conditions prior to this wonderful means of communication, when one - apart of his slowly progressing own experience - used to be dependend on specialized magazines ( and their more or less obviously skewed info / sales pitch ) or to sales personal in stores.

Having started out with the latter source in regard of recording gear ( initially buying overpriced, crappy devices ) and later on receiving so much of useful hints and guidelines from international engineers and educated amateurs, I am endlessly thankful for the internet ressource.
Similar with what luthiers and fellow guitar players let me learn about the guitar world ( ways of builds, history, woods characteristics etc.)

As long as one takes opinions within forums as informative guidelines that shall be followed by personal searching and empirics, the forums and their accumulation of user experience can be a tremendously useful support, not remotely as available back in times before this great medium.
-

In sight of Condes ( Felipe ), I remember two experts telling me how these had come down in quality, but seeing the response in this thread it makes you hoping to the contrary.
( The only one I had in hands myself, was a Media Luna model in the mid nineties, which was really nice. - Only not aquired as the shop was unwilling to reduce the price despite a hefty dang in the top. At that time 7 grands in DM were inquired, while nowadays apparently a similar amount in Euros being requested.)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2011 10:40:10

elgreco

RE: New vs Old (in reply to keith

Hi Keith,

It is true that I do not have data but it is really hard to quantify what better means in comparing 2 guitars. It would be great if we could come up with a list of things that perhaps could be measured and things that would be left to subjective determination. Things that I would conisder from my limited experience:
1. Playability (This would include dimensions of all sorts: Distance of string from fretboard, distance between themselves, width of fretboard, curvature of neck etc.). Not sure if this can be measured since people have different size hands. Something that is more playable for you, may not be for me
2. Volume of sound. (measure in decibells?)
3. Quality of sound. I think this should be able to be measured. Graphs of sound sustain when you hit a string should reveal the behavior of the sound produced.
4. Test of time. What is the behavior of the guitar's lifetime. Does it have a peek after 15 years? Does it die after 30 or continues to be joyfully playable?
5. Do the machine/wooden pegs function as they should? Do they loosen up quickly and need replacement?
6. Durability. I currently own an Alhambra 3F and the freaken thing won't get hurt despite all the abuse. Not sure if a burguet would tolerate accidental bangs that much.
7. Wood cracking and/or bending.
8. These characteristics probably imply design. Are some guitars designs better than others? (5 vs 7 type bracing etc)

I think I am running out of ideas.

Dinos

quote:

ORIGINAL: keith

there is nothing wrong with saying old is better than new but two conditions must be met. if there is no data to support this claim the phrase, "in my opinion" or better yet, "i like the old sound as compared to the new sound" must be used. opinions are often based on what we like and it is ok to say so. if data exists then it is ok to say, the data says old is better than new as evident by....however, you must be able to prove it. this is basic scientific research in action. just remember though we are talking about an object that makes a sound and the ears of folks have different preferences so all the data in the world may not always be conclusive.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2011 13:30:36
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages