Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

I'm very sorry but I have to ask about someone you don't like   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

JieXian

I'm very sorry but I have to ask abo... 

I have been quite suspicious and I agree with the views on this business practices and several other things that gave away something which I won't elaborate.

But PDL documantaries and weird crap aside

Is Ruben Diaz really teaching flamenco? Are his videos such as buleria for beginners correct according to the compas? If not, who else would be a better teacher to learn it? Juan Martin? I'm from Malaysia and no one plays it.

And his tips for choosing a guitar, I have written it down and I would like your opinion, the seem logical to me:

tone of g string
distance between strings
height of string at bridge 5mm
grain spacing
knocking sound/ drum - deep sound resonating
at headstock, string cannot touch wood, must be free
at bridge, wings different tone, test with tapping, thickness
1st harmonic vs 12th fret sound
fretboard straight
holes at bridge for strings to go through must be equaly aligned, flat, horizontal
thickness of fretboard at body
-----------
tension:
------------
angle at bridge
angle at neck

------------
basics :
-------
sound - treble quality
comfort
intonation/tune

Sorry and Thank you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 13:57:12

Andy Culpepper

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to JieXian

quote:

height of string at bridge 5mm

????!!!!!

The trouble with the doc is that he says a few things that MIGHT be true but for the beginner it's completely impossible to separate those from the other 80% of what he says. So, as a rule of thumb, just ignore him.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 14:05:31

Gummy

I don't think anyone really dislikes him personally. You can definately learn some valuable things from him. Some of his statememts should be taken with a grain of salt and he is definately out trying to market his guitars.

Juan Martin's stuff is really great for those who are learning, and many forum members got their start learning from his books. The problem is that he is made out (by those who don't know any better) to be in the same league playing flamenco as Paco.

As you continue your journey in flamenco, you will begin to see what you like in the playing of others and you will begin to see which direction you want to go. Enjoy it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 14:06:02

Chiste de Gales

The impression Ruben Diaz makes on me with his videos is that he
would rather impress students with his playing instead of impress
students with his teaching.

That, and I dont like that he calls himself "professor"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 15:02:39

JieXian

I can ignore the nonsense because all I need is some good sources. Is what he playing bulerias? is it tangos? Could you please help me look through it?

And might you have any recommendations for other sources for flamenco lessons?

Thank you
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 15:10:11

Gummy

quote:

And might you have any recommendations for other sources for flamenco lessons?

This forum is a fantastic source.
Youtube videos
There is Flamenco Teacher where Ricardo has some lessons.
There are Jason Mcguire's online lessons
There are Jose Tanaka's online lessons
There is the Ravenna flamenco site with online lessons
There are the Adam Delmonte online lessons

Juan Martins DVD/Books
Encuentro DVD/Books
Oscar Hererro DVD/Books
Gerhard Graff Martinez DVD/Books

There are lots and lots more.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 15:27:13

mezzo

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to Gummy

quote:

There are lots and lots more.

For me some of the best free ressource available are

http://www.flamencoweb.fr/spip/index.php
http://www.canteytoque.es/
http://www.youtube.com/user/reinaldos7

and this foro.

I've seen lately as a new member "reinaldos". So i think he's a foro member and i'm very glad of it even if he'll never post

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 15:37:34

JieXian

Thanks a lot. I'm looking mainly for free stuff but Youtube has a lot of phony people. Many who can't do rasgueados but trying to teach it.

Imagine my excitement when I found Ruben Diaz who shows how to file the fingernails the PDL way (it sounded really good to me, but is it?)

http://www.flamencoweb.fr/ doesn't seem to be online
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 16:00:45

mezzo

quote:

http://www.flamencoweb.fr/ doesn't seem to be online

ah? don't know for me it works well.

For the dr. diaz here is a quote from his great friend J. mcGuire
quote:

I think his videos contain a lot of useful information. Just don't drink the kool-aid when he tells you its time to. I would love to hear him just accompany a singer instead of a recording of Camaron with Paco playing. He has some great technical exercises and his music theory is solid. I guess we all have our quirks. I make cartoons and b-itch about fake flamenco like Benise, he sells fake guitars and makes strange claims about the innovations of Paco de Lucia. Paco is a super important innovator but certainly not the ONLY innovator.

I agree with Jason don't listen to him when he starts big theoritical concept, just focus on the technical side of his teaching.
If this is too hard for you then don't go for it because it's brainwashing IMO.

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 16:16:22

Chiste de Gales

quote:

ORIGINAL: JieXian
Imagine my excitement when I found Ruben Diaz who shows how to file the fingernails the PDL way (it sounded really good to me, but is it?)

Your nails must grow in the shape of PdL before they are filed the way he does his.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2010 20:57:32

JieXian

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to Chiste de Gales

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ says it's just me - who can't visit http://www.flamencoweb.fr/

Frankly, I disagree with his big theoretical concepts for example that picado can only be played in one way where you have to raise your elbow and your wrist must be straight - and so many other things can must be done the PdL way.

But also, I didn't realise that I was playing picado without alternating my finger all the time or often enough, I can relate it to flat picking techniques, and of course I don't always have to be doing alternating picking.

Christe, what is the PdL nail way? Is it the bottom one? That's what Ruben taught. which made sense to me and feels better than my previous shap which was the rounded one on top.

Just so that you don't have to watch his videos, the "PdL way of filing nails" I'm talking about is where, for finishing touches, he coils a sandpaper around a string and files the nail while picking the string.

Most importantly, have you tried watching his videos on bulerias or alegrias? Are they correct?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2010 4:40:50

turnermoran

to paraphrase something I heard once about Buddah and his teachings:

'follow your heart and instincts to find what is right for you. And you may find that my teachings are not right for you -and that will be right for you'.

And then there's the story of a guitarist who followed Paco's ways, and then caught up with Paco and asked for the maestro's advice on his picado. He showed him the picado, and it wasn't happening. Paco asks "why are you doinng it this way". And the student says, "but that's how you do it maestro". And Paco says "so what. That's just works for me. Find the way that works for you. That is the right way - for you". (obviously, that's paraphrased too)

So given that Ruben's whole thing is "do it this way and only this way - because that's how Paco does it" is a little short sighted, since Paco himself would probably say that each has to find their own path.

That being said, I personally think that if you folllowed Ruben's teachings, you'd be better off than the millions of YouTube "teachers" out there - most of whom demonstrate many times over that they aren't very good players. Ruben can play!

Various things I've learned from his videos:
3 golpes for ring finger - nail only, flesh and nail, flesh only. If you listen to PdL you can hear that he clearly uses a lot of the flesh-only, and just as Ruben says, Sabicas does in fact use a lot of nail-only.
His compas for bulerias - it is one of many that Paco (and many others) play. I think it's a good place to start.
His Fandangos de Huelva - go through his first 6 videos and you'll hear that it sounds pretty much like what the majority of modern flamencos play.

But consider this: Grisha can play Paco's material note for note, and if you look at their picado techniques, they're very different. Grisha doesn't do the "lift the upper arm up at a 90º angle" technique.

Also, they have very different tremolo techniques.
And yet it's not like Grisha made a mistake in his choices! His technique is incredible.

Like Jason McGuire says: there's a lot to learn from him.

He's a little nutty, but most great players are.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2010 5:19:46

turnermoran

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to turnermoran

another thought about Diaz:

sometimes his explanation about how to play certain PdL compositions contradicts well known existing transcriptions. Specifically, parts of Rio Ancho and Almoraima are different.

I don't know if he's right and the others are wrong, but to me, the take away is that I wouldn't consider his word 'law'. Again: a take from it what you will situation. Just like Jason said..
..no need to drink the Kool-Aid
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2010 6:00:04

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 20 2012 12:19:40
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2012 19:18:44

Ricardo

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to Guest

quote:

ORIGINAL: kehati

so ur from malaysia?apa khabar kawan?aku ada di KL.mau buat something from flamenco?

See making friends already!!!

Guys.... Avoid Ruben.... I know it's tempting.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2012 19:41:12

kudo

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

true! its an old thread anyway

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2012 19:42:37

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 20 2012 12:19:14
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2012 19:56:56

n85ae

Uh, no ... It's not. I was on the forum when he was here. Along
with a couple others who're gone as well. Can't say I miss them,
or that I'm tempted.

Regards,
Jeff

quote:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2012 21:09:22

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: JieXian

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ says it's just me - who can't visit http://www.flamencoweb.fr/

But also, I didn't realise that I was playing picado without alternating my finger all the time or often enough, I can relate it to flat picking techniques, and of course I don't always have to be doing alternating picking.

Dude, how can you not realise you aren't alternating your fingers! So you're doing something like imimiimimmi lol

Do yourself a favour - buy one of those small right hand practice things and while you're watching TV or on the computer just alternate imim - with a string crossing or two thrown in. That should put you right ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2012 21:22:44

cathulu

He is a resource, better than most imho, and passionate and seemingly a bit of a con artist. Jason is also a bit of a nutter lol as even himself would admit. The proof in the pudding is that both are banned. It is sad that there is not enough room for everyone.

Gummy suggested some other good resources. Take what you need and discard the rest.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 4:08:03

FullMetalGuitarist

JieXian , I started learning using the books of Juan Martin and Graf Martinez , worked very well for me.
If talking about free stuff there are some short books with quite good explanations from Sal Bonavite here: http://www.nylonguitarist.com/index.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 6:52:46

Yojimbo

Earlier up this thread there's a quote from JM saying he'd like to see Ruben accompanying a singer.

He has lots of videos doing that. Here's one if anyone is interested. The singer is Guadiana and I think it's from a show that was put on in Malaga.

Don't be put off by the naysayers here. And he sure doesn't say his way is the only way.

The universe is indeed expanding - to get away from this planet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 12:49:39

XXX

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to Yojimbo

You guys have to explain me how you manage to NOT get bored of it.
This is not a smarass post btw. I am genuinely interested.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 14:17:04

Munin

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to Yojimbo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yojimbo

Earlier up this thread there's a quote from JM saying he'd like to see Ruben accompanying a singer.

He has lots of videos doing that. Here's one if anyone is interested. The singer is Guadiana and I think it's from a show that was put on in Malaga.

Don't be put off by the naysayers here. And he sure doesn't say his way is the only way.

I don't think anyone doubts that Ruben knows his stuff and that was never really the issue in any of the threads discussing him...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 15:35:32

Ricardo

Sorry Ruben that was the evil eye look for wrong tonos Guadiana
gave you at 1:56. Was a c chord not A. It's buleria extremeno throughout
But the main issue is not tonos.... What the hell with tons of self serving
falsetas? Let the maestro sing for god sake and then tone it down for remates
It's awkwardly hyper playing man

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 20:12:29

jaggedsphere

I personally, had 1-1 lessons with him, skype lessons, own one of his guitars. I have no complaints.
Truthfully, I understand that his zealousness has put off some people but I believe that he believes in his guitars and teachings.
Ruben is an all-or-nothing kind of guy. Eccentric, off-the-wall, passionate and in person actually quite cordial and easily affects you with his enthusiasm.

The whole 'g string tone' is something that I am surprised at how noticeable it is! Not sure if it is the string....Ideas on this? I even use the strings that Ruben specified to me!

I do not know how theoretically accurate his teachings are as compared to other flamenco guitarists and flamenco in general but I DO consider him an authority if we simply recognize that he has been involved in flamenco since he was young and that he represents his family's and community's own distinct style and interpretation of the form.

I have noted that the instrument that I have has a very very thin finish. I believe that this allows the wood to vibrate more freely. (less weight, less material = greater energy output).

Truth is is that I have followed his tutelage and it has made me a better player. I LOVE flamenco but have not yet nailed down any palos. (not currently in lessons...Money is tight)

As far as format and online instruction are concerned there seems to be lots to chose from and that is a good thing.

Maybe I have run my mouth off but I just had a coffee!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 20:13:30

Estevan

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to jaggedsphere

quote:

his family's and community's own distinct style and interpretation of the form.

???

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 20:16:06

Ron.M

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to jaggedsphere

quote:

Maybe I have run my mouth off but I just had a coffee!

No, not at all. Everybody is entitled to their views.

Personally, I'd probably spend my bucks with Ricardo or Jason Mac and others and get a broader sense of the form..

BTW... Totally LOVE your avatar! That cracks me up!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 20:27:47

kudo

quote:

Sorry Ruben that was the evil eye look for wrong tonos Guadiana
gave you at 1:56. Was a c chord not A.

I agree
quote:

It's buleria extremeno throughout

so what is extremeno? a style? or does it mean extreme?

quote:

It's awkwardly hyper playing man

agreed.. hey maybe he is on drugs

P.S. 1:34-1:36 LOL at how awkward his right hand looks

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 22:08:02

Adam

RE: I'm very sorry but I have to ask... (in reply to kudo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kudo
quote:

It's buleria extremeno throughout

so what is extremeno? a style? or does it mean extreme?

A style, from Extremadura. Similar to saying "de Jerez" or something.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2012 23:10:32
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post