Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Aww...Shucks!..   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Aww...Shucks!.. 

Isn't it just beautiful...

The world will now be informed that His Royal Highness Prince William has just become engaged to his sweetheart Kate Middleton.

During this age of austerity, benefit cuts, home repossesion and unemployment, what could be finer news!

This is the best news the world has had since the marriage of Prince Andrew and Fergie!

Apparently even the Queen herself has transmitted the Royal Tweet over the Royal Broadband connection to the common Twitter site to say that "One was pleased and offered one's congratulations."

Now at last the unemployed in a thousand English towns and villages can get up and jolly themselves about getting the bunting and flags up in anticipation of the grand event itself and forget about their own trivial woes .

I'm so excited!

Must go now before I get over emotional, (sniff, sniff)....

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2010 19:40:51

Doitsujin

RE: Aww...Shucks!.. (in reply to Ron.M

eh? William? Kate?... .. Andrew? A new soap opera? Ok,... who cheated whom with whom? ..ah.. whatever..I don´t like soaps so much.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2010 20:23:37

Pgh_flamenco

This already a big news story over here. I'm not looking forward to all the women in the family discussing this during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2010 20:26:15

Doitsujin

Thanksgiving? Wait..what was that?...I forgot.. Who gave what to whom? I´ll need to check wikipedia.. Ehw.. these exotic things are confusing. hehe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2010 20:32:21

Ron.M

RE: Aww...Shucks!.. (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

I forgot.. Who gave what to whom?

Doit...I'm not sure myself, but I think it's about the States where you give $50 to the butcher for a big turkey and a lot of people who can't stand each other sit around a table and scoff it.

Something like that anyway..(maybe watched too many American movies..?)

(..and throw a big box of tea bags into the sea too I think....I dunno..)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2010 20:48:09

Doitsujin

quote:

Doit...I'm not sure myself, but I think it's about the States where you give $50 to the butcher for a big turkey and a lot of people who can't stand each other sit around a table and scoff it.

hahaha
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2010 21:17:08

Estevan

quote:

I'm so excited!

Och Ron, no doubt you'll be wanting one of these:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2010 21:42:45

Ron.M

RE: Aww...Shucks!.. (in reply to Estevan

quote:

Mmmmm......lovely, Estevan. I'll get my order in now before they sell out.

No doubt Simon will be singing "Land of Hope and Glory" all the way up the M5 this morning..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2010 9:08:05

Chilli Fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan

quote:

I'm so excited!

If i had that plate i would feed my dog on it.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2010 9:46:11

mezzo

The mediatic buzz around this royal union is just soo high...Every single day they talk about that on the tv, radio... Wow!
So who planned to watch this live? with the popcorn and such.

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 12:25:44

Pimientito

Ron still hasnt forgiven the English for cutting off Mary Stuarts Head!

Whilst I secretly sympathise with your jaded sarcasm Ron, I also remember how exciting the Diana/ charles Royal wedding was for me when I was a child. As we havent had a big royal wedding for about 25 years there are a whole generation of kids will be looking forward to the day and will grow up remembering a historic event.
Very few nations have anything like the spectacle of an English Royal wedding in terms of "over the topness"...although dont get me a comemerative plate.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 13:54:43

Florian

RE: Aww...Shucks!.. (in reply to Pimientito

hmmm what to watch, what to watch...Real Mardid Vs Barcelona Uefa semi final or Eurovision or English Royal Wedding

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 14:42:20

Ron.M

Probably the two most impressive spectacles of State I've seen were the funerals of Winston Churchill and the QM.

I'm not anti-royal or a republican actually...they're good entertainment value.

Just hope Willie's mobile doesn't go off in the middle of the service.

(Worse still, would be if he said "..can you hang on a minute till I get this..")

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 14:47:21

Richard Jernigan

Hey, I'm really stoked about The Wedding! Wow!

Many years ago, one of my old cousins who keeps track of such things breathlessly informed me that one of William's 17-times-great-grandmothers was a Jernigan! Such a distinction!

Let's see now. you have four grandparents, eight great-grandparents....524,288 17-times-great grandparents, half of whom were women, for a total of 262,144 17-times-great grandmothers. Whew.

But wait! In the fifteenth century there couldn't have been more than a few hundred marriageable women in that social set. So anybody in England who knows their family history for 20 generations is almost certain to be my cousin!

Err..including some of those upper-class twits we've been seeing on TV the last couple of weeks? For example the "former St Andrews student" with the weird standup hairdo and the necktie loosened just so? That is, I'm sure most of them are really nice people...aren't they? Hmmm...not sure how I feel about that...

But Will and Kate seem nice enough.

And to be fair, working in England I met people from "old" families who were the salt of the earth.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 15:10:21

Escribano

I was present as a young boy when Winston's funeral train passed through Reading and was on duty as a private mobile X-ray tech. when Charles and Di were married.

I was in a smart dark suit with a pager that matched those of the US security staff, so got very close to Nancy Reagan amongst others, at the rear of Claridges for the evening reception. It was so muddled, I am probably in some of the official photos. Maybe I should have crashed the party?.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 15:46:46

XXX

"Prince" William? I thought he was just a scout boy (wearing uniforms etc), appearing on the telly from time to time?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 16:29:24

Ruphus

How many hundred millions of tax pounds do these people eat yearly?
( Last time I read, it used to be 80 mio for the queen, but that´s been a while ago.)

What´s the equivalent of a handful average wages for indivual royal highnesses anway. I mean they can´t have sucked off enough yet to meanwhile live on their own, did they.
Forgive me the trivial secularity. :0P

I guess none of you fellas would pamper one´s ass for having been smacked, but there ought to exist billions out there who love to. In kingdoms just as in republics.

I´m selling slaps for $ 5 each, kicks in the butt for $ 10. Please line up. Thank you, beloved brothers and sisters!
( * Disclaimer: Kicks are not handed out to females, however; due to traditions of piety. We kindly ask for your understanding of the excluding policy, not meant discriminatory. Instead however there will be granted three slaps for the price of two.)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 19:07:40

El Kiko

Well I'm sure my girl will be watching most of it as she will want to see the dress and who made it and the handbag ( if she has one ) and where her shoes came from, etc..
so I will be nice and sit there saying "Yes dear, I know .. I totally agree with you , "
But thinking ; what is a Watteau?? or a Bateau ?? will I get free beer in the pub tonight?. how long is this going on for ?? I really shouldn't have eaten that brussel sprout curry last night..........etc n etc,

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 19:08:12

Ron.M

RE: Aww...Shucks!.. (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

How many hundred millions of tax pounds do these people eat yearly

Well I don't think they actually "earn" that, Ruphus.
But sure, the British Monarchy costs taxpayers a lot of money to keep going.
But it's an INDUSTRY that needs funded, with "born in" employees rather than individuals privately scamming funds for themselves. (although I'm sure they put a few bob away for a rainy day.. )

Personally, I cannot criticize the present Queen and that's the truth.
She has attended to State duties since a young girl and never brought shame or mockery on her office as Head of State.

Unlike her offspring.

The Head of State means that she is symbolically the head of the Army as Commander in Chief. Yet she has no political power. Only Parliament has.

This is the peculiar arrangement which keeps Britain the way it is.

British Soldiers swear allegiance to the Queen, but take orders from Parliament.
She has to appoint a Parliament of Ministers. Yet Parliament can overrule her.
(Don't try to understand it...It's a British thing...like Monty Python )

That way, nobody can set themselves up as a Gaddafi, or Mubarek, etc....having political control with army backing.

I'm quite comfortable with that.

I really do believe however that when our present Queen dies, then the Monarchy as we know it will die also.

It probably will remain, but in a much more diminished state of function attending and shaking hands etc etc.

But never like it used to be IMO.

Not like Queen Victoria, (when the sun never set on the British Empire... )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 19:41:17

Pgh_flamenco

It's all been downhill for the British monarchy since the Magna Charta--lol. Diana and Fergie set the bar too low for future generations and it was mostly because of coverage in the media. Prior generations of royalty behaved far worse than they did. They'll be little more than a tourist attraction in the future...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 20:14:36

Richard Jernigan

RE: Aww...Shucks!.. (in reply to Escribano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

I was present as a young boy when Winston's funeral train passed through Reading and was on duty as a private mobile X-ray tech. when Charles and Di were married.

I was in a smart dark suit with a pager that matched those of the US security staff, so got very close to Nancy Reagan amongst others, at the rear of Claridges for the evening reception. It was so muddled, I am probably in some of the official photos. Maybe I should have crashed the party?.

Lyndon Johnson's younger daughter got married the same day I did, lived around the corner from us, graduated from University of Texas same day as my wife, and had her first child same day as ours, stayed in the room next to my wife's in the hospital.

Lyndon spoke at the graduation ceremony. I dropped off my parents and my fiancee's near the outdoor seating area, and went to park the car. Somehow I got swept up in Lyndon's entourage as they moved along swiftly, headed for the outdoor dais.

I kept trying to break out of the Secret Service cordon, and they kept muscling me back in. At last I spotted Lyndon's uncle Huffman Baines, a good friend of my father.

"Hello, Mr. Baines," I called out.

"Why hello, Richard. Are you going to sit up front with us?"

"No sir. I just want to get loose so I can sit with Linda's and my parents."

Mr. Baines spoke to the President, who ordered the Secret Service to set me free. If it hadn't been for Mr. Baines, I'm not sure what would have happened when we got to the dais and I was found not to be on the seating chart.

It was bad enough living around the corner. The Secret Service had the house next to Lyndon's daughter. It's too hot to run in the daytime in Austin in the summer, so I would take off just after it got dark and cooled off a bit. Every time a new shift of Secret Service guys came on, one would pop out from behind a bush and stop me. I had to carry my passport and driver's license when I went running.

My boss, mentor and good friend had a good size boat on Lake Travis at Blackie's Boat Dock. One day we went there to go boating. Coming down the gravel road we encountered several Lincoln limos and assorted gray sedans--like the ones my son later called "narc-mobiles".

After finally getting through the checkpoints, we got up to the counter where Blackie himself, an old-style Texan, was holding forth. My friend hailed him politely.

'How are you today, Blackie?"

"Not worth a damn."

"Oh, and why not?"

"First we have a drought, and we have to drag the damn' [floating] docks out in the middle of the damn' lake, 'cause the water went down. Then we have a flood and the sons of b*****s float clear the hell away, and we have to go drag 'em back and tie 'em up again where they are now. And today? Why today we have the G*d-damn' President! Lord Jesus, how long must we suffer?"

I was eying the Secret Service a little nervously, but they seemed to be used to it.

At that moment Lyndon appeared. He knew the names of literally thousands of people. His memory for names and faces was truly astonishing. He had been a politician all his life, and so had his father before him. Lyndon knew my friend because he was one of the founders of a prospering corporation. He had met me once through his uncle. He walked over, shook hands and said, "Y'all want a beer? Blackie, give my friends Gene and Richard here a beer."

Blackie replied, "Whatever you say Mr. President. That'll be three dollars."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 22:51:14

Richard Jernigan

RE: Aww...Shucks!.. (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

How many hundred millions of tax pounds do these people eat yearly?
( Last time I read, it used to be 80 mio for the queen, but that´s been a while ago.)

<big snip by RNJ>
Ruphus

Here's a news story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8124022.stm

Cheap entertainment if you're a monarchist. Unconscionable waste if you favor a republic.

The UK spends 40-million pounds per annum on the royal family. We in the USA spend about $1.6-billion a year on the office of the president, according to this:

http://tinyurl.com/3e43coe

Of course, we must maintain our position as THE MOST POWERFUL NATION ON EARTH, mustn't we? That's bound to cost a bit...

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2011 23:47:31

Estevan

RE: Aww...Shucks!.. (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Thanks for another great story Richard!

Huffman??!

quote:

Cheap entertainment if you're a monarchist.

I'm not, but 69p a year is cheaper than most forms of entertainment. (I like the Horse Guards).

quote:

Of course, we must maintain our position as THE MOST POWERFUL NATION ON EARTH, mustn't we? That's bound to cost a bit...

Oh yeah, but the White House is cheap, it's the imperial military adventures that really cost:
THE US MAXES OUT ITS CREDIT CARD

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2011 2:35:55

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan

Huffman??!

Everybody addressed him as "Mr. Baines," even his wife, in public. His son, Huffman Baines, Jr. was called "Huff." It's an old Southern custom to give the surnames of ancestors to children as first names. Both were men of the highest reputation for probity and integrity.

Lyndon admired his uncle, who owned a small local telephone company, but he adored his aunt, Mrs. Baines.

One Sunday Mr. and Mrs. Baines were among my parents' guests for Sunday dinner. In Texas, Sunday dinner starts about one PM, after church lets out and the guests have time to assemble. The conversation turned to Lyndon.

"You may not know," Mr. Baines said, "that when Lyndon was making up his mind to run for President on his own, a group of us from here in Texas went up to the White House to try to talk him out of it."

"Why was that, Mr. Baines?" my mother asked.

"Not to put too fine a point on it, he lied too much," replied Mr. Baines.

Judge John Onion of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals took up the inquiry. "But Mr. Baines, isn't a politician at times practically obliged to color the truth a little?"

"Some people may think so. But Lyndon lies because he enjoys it."

When Richard Nixon told the nation, "I am not a crook," George Christian was already scheduled to give a speech the next evening at the Headliners' Club, the press club of the Texas capital. George was a man of the highest moral standards, a member of the vestry of our parish. I knew him pretty well. He was a warm and friendly man. He had been Johnson's Press Secretary, but like the rest of them, he resigned.

In his speech, reported in newspapers throughout the nation, Christian alluded to the Nixon crisis, then segued into reminiscences of Johnson, whose creative speaking talents were well known.

"Lyndon would hold a press conference in the morning, and announce a sweeping new major program. Then we would have to spend all afternoon and the next day running around trying to put together some kind of story to back him up."

The assembled journalists were left to draw their own conclusions about Presidential truthfulness, past and present.

For a few years Joe Kilgore's son worked for me as an engineer. Joe, senior was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Texas for decades, so he accumulated a certain amount of political power. When Pat Roberts, the TV preacher, announced that God had called him to run for President, Joe was interviewed on national TV.

"Congressman Kilgore, in your experience, has God ever intervened directly in American politics before now?"

"Why yes, I know of one instance."

"When was that, sir?"

"When Lyndon Johnson called me up on the telephone and told me not to run against Ralph Yarbrough in the Democrat primary election for the U.S. Senate."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2011 5:41:18

Ruphus

Thank you for the link, Richard!
I couldn´t open it for censoring reasons, but as the link is from the BBC I guess the numbers will be halfways true.
So, nice to hear that it costs only 40 mio. >caugh!<

The numbers for the White House are stuggering to say the least. What incredible insanity!

Then again ... that number is what the weapon industry dares to shove in for just a single war jet.
Not that either was completely out of proportion, though.

Nothing to see here, folks. >shush!< Please move on and wonder about wedding dresses.

Will it be with crocheting or embroidery, and those pushups of silicone?
And William, will they stick him a mustache to look like a grown man? Damn it keeps me awake all night.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2011 11:25:02
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote