Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Loriente Carmen   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

olp007

Loriente Carmen 

I placed this post on Delcamp.us, but thought I would share in this forum as well.

I could not pass up the Guitar Salon deals on e - b a y. They're selling their old stock Loriente Carmens for about $750 - 850 US (depending on the bidding) with a hard case and shipped for $39 to anywhere in the US. I picked mine up for $830 plus shipping. It sat at my parents home in Florida for about 3 months before a trip took me close to home, and allowed me to pick it up and bring it back to Canada.

And before I continue, I bought a brand new Loriente Clarita back in March which I really like, so I was drawn to the Carmen from my Clarita experience.

My first impression when I opened the case was the smell of the wood. It's either the Cypress or the Cedar neck, but it was unbelievably strong. Here are my overall observations and construction details:

1) The overall finish is Very Good, though there are some imperfections (which I will list later)
2) The body's width near the bridge and neck is actually a bit wider (by about 5 mm) compared to the Clarita
3) The action at both the high and low E is about 3mm. The Clarita's action is about 3.8 - 4.0 mm.
4) It has a solid spruce top and solid cypress sides/back with ebony fingerboard, cedar neck, and rosewood purfling/binding.
5) The spruce soundboard is not as tightly grained as in the Clarita, especially near the sides
6) The guitar bears the original Antonio Loriente name and has NO truss rod (the new Claritas have a truss rod)
7) Similar to other comments here and on the web, the detail with the binding/purfling and the rosette is not as good as in the Clarita. The maker did not align the binding at the bottom of the guitar perfectly on center to the two-piece soundboard joint
9) The rosette's outer edge is slightly smudged near the bass strings
10) The tuners seem to be the same Gotoh tuners in the Loriente line, but they have the perloid buttons, and the brass is satin (not polished bright)
11) The inside is actually finished better than my Clarita. My Clarita has some glue marks and wood splinters from where they cut and did not fully clean the joint. The Carmen has NO glue marks or wood splinters
12) This Carmen has the SAME rosette as the Clarita. This is interesting, because all of the pictures on the e - b a y post showed the Carmen rosette
13) I really like the sound. I find it a bit easier to play than the Clarita. I have only been playing flamenco pieces (Juan Martin's book starting at Grade 0) in the past year, but I could tell a difference with the sound. I took the guitar to my instructor who commented with words like "it's very bright, raspy, and definitely has a growl to it". This is what I was looking for and hearing, so my ear must be getting better.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase...my only regret was not upgrading to the Humicase.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2010 22:08:43

HolyEvil

RE: Loriente Carmen (in reply to olp007

I actually tried a carmen in singapore and I was very impressed by the feel of the guitar and the sound as well. It's based on about 10 minutes with the guitar. But they wanted about 3000 US for it.. crazy!
830 is def a good deal. they still going that?

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2010 23:09:57

olp007

RE: Loriente Carmen (in reply to HolyEvil

Yes, they are still auctioning off the Carmen. They only auction one instrument at a time. It looks like you're in Australia from your signature. If you search for "Loriente" on EBAY you will see a seller called Boutique Music wholesale. They sell the Carmen for $1442 AU, shipped anywhere in Australia, with a Metro Case. The Metro Case is very nice and runs about $230 from GSI in the USA. Happy shopping!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2010 23:48:37

Ramon Amira

RE: Loriente Carmen (in reply to olp007

This is a good buy for anyone in the market for an inexpensive all solid wood blanca. But be aware that this is the original "Antonio Loriente" label, that some people found somewhat deceptive, with a stamp inside, etc., possibly implying that it was a luthier guitar.

The line was redesigned and much improved, and relabeled, now just "Loriente." The current Loriente Carmen is a very good guitar, with an authentic flamenco sound, and looks good too. Also comes in a negra.

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2010 13:36:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote