Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: HOW TO SET UP MY NEW GUITAR   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

itsmeid01

RE: HOW TO SET UP MY NEW GUITAR (in reply to JBASHORUN

I got my CG171SF back in September 04. It was setup quite nicely right out of the box. Low action, and good intonation. I'd suggest checking it out and see how it plays before you start changing things.

Unless you are taking it to a true luthier (and I don't mean the guy at the guitar shop), I don't think you're going to improve it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2005 6:03:59

RE: HOW TO SET UP MY NEW GUITAR (in reply to itsmeid01

quote:

Unless you are taking it to a true luthier (and I don't mean the guy at the guitar shop), I don't think you're going to improve it.

I dont agree. In a good shop, there'll be someone knowing. Before I started building myself, I learned to do setups, and I've worked in a shop here in Granada, Spain doing this
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2005 7:44:26

JBASHORUN

RE: HOW TO SET UP MY NEW GUITAR (in reply to Guest

Thanks for your comments guys. Unfortunately, I selected this particular guitar retailer because of the PRICE he was charing for the Yamaha (particularly low) and NOT because of it's expertise in setting up guitars.
I did listen to the advice everyone gave me and then phoned the shop and told them to alter the action if it was quite high when the guitar arrived. The dude at the shop said that they'll do their best, but to be honest that they weren't equipped to give professional setups. The shop is only a very small Classical guitar shop, and I don't think there are more than 1 or 2 people working there. I'd be quite surprised if either of them were able get the setup exactly the way I want it (but I may be wrong).
Hopefully, as one of you suggested, the action will be at a suitable height when it arrives, and therefore not need much (if any) adjusting. I'll just have to wait and see...

James
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 26 2005 9:43:00
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote