Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: I am Planning on buying a really good Flamenco & Classical guitar, Any Suggestions   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Escribano

Yeah i have seen his you tube videos and his guitar pictures on his web site, they look very solid. I will need to try one out before i can make my purchase, if i am interested i will contact him he gave me his web-site. Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 20:26:22

Anders Eliasson

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Murieta

"Your guitars sound and look awesome, where are you located? it your site said Spain."

Thanks Murieta. I think my website says where I am doesnt it? I´m in

Beas, Huelva, Andalucia, España

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 20:51:47

jshelton5040

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano
Are you spamming? You ask for advice on guitars and then give us loads of "recommendations". Is that a sock puppet? Never heard the term, perhaps a shill. Stinks to me anyway.

Escribano,
Sock puppet is a term for a con artist who acts like a novice while promoting his goods. You put a sock over your hand and move it's mouth while you are actually doing the talking.

You must be really out of touch with current internet jargon dude .

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 22:00:01

Murieta

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Oct. 14 2010 23:13:42
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 23:07:06

Murieta

Well guys i think gj Michelob summed it all up for me. I thank everyone who replied to my message and gave me good advice on certain luthiers, i wrote them down. I think i know where to start and i will try out as many guitars as possible until i make my final purchase, this may take a while. If anyone has additional advice feel free to post.

Thanks guys, Keep practicing OLE!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 23:12:45

kozz

quote:

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Oct. 15 2010 1:13:42

Sometimes its nice to be subscribed to a topic, reading a topic from my email turns out to be completely different than the foro-topic.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2010 4:16:21

Tom Blackshear

I'll have a beautiful guitar, flamenco negra, going to the Savage music Company in New Jersey in about a month. It is being built in the Reyes style as an honor to Manuel Reyes name.

I don't build many guitars at this time so this is a special order from Rich Sayage to show at his shop. I think he probably wants to sell it, so this would be a chance for you to get a guitar that would be good for flamenco or classical music since the pattern is essentially very lyrical with good articulation for flamenco.

I apologize but I don't know what your price range is.

http://www.savageclassical.com/luthiers.html

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2010 13:20:25

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

A Manuel Reyes replica huh, sounds nice. I will definitely take a look at it when it arrives at the website you recommended me. By the way how much is an original Manuel Reyes Negra now a days? Like 20 grand or something? Thanks Blackshear.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2010 20:37:27

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murieta

A Manuel Reyes replica huh, sounds nice. I will definitely take a look at it when it arrives at the website you recommended me. By the way how much is an original Manuel Reyes Negra now a days? Like 20 grand or something? Thanks Blackshear.

The prices for an original Manuel Reyes in good condition can go as low as 12,000 to as high as 22,000 dollars US. This is an average, not a definite rule.

Thank you for your consideration to check out my guitars. It is my honor to be of service.

http://tguitars.home.texas.net/index.htm

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2010 20:54:48

stpercival

Good day to you. I have played several of GV Rubio's flamenco guitars and they are class. He makes an archtop maple that is really awesome. BTW the guitar pictured on the original post is not a flamenco negra. I believe it is his houser, his negra has a different rosette. Try this link on youtube comparing several guitars and his negra (2nd) sounds superior to the rest. And no I am not a "sock Puppet."

or try a youtube search: "GV Rubio flamenco negra" or "four sevillanas on four guitars."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2010 5:14:57

Tom Blackshear

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to stpercival

I have to say that I liked the first guitar the best, or whether it was the guitar the way it was recorded, it came off as being the most pleasing sound to me.

Although I'll admit that the second guitar has a better flamenco edge. But one thing I also notice is that the guitars have a boomier sound than I like for my own style.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2010 11:36:13

Rob MacKillop

In order of preference, 2314. The first seemed too classical-like for my tastes, and the last did nothing for me. Difficult to choose between the 2nd and 3rd.

Good playing...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2010 14:18:44

Andy Culpepper

2 1 3 4

that negra sound is about what I shoot for.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2010 14:38:16

rogeliocan

quote:

four sevillanas on four guitars

I liked the 1st, but it seemed a bit weak after listening to the other 3.
My preference would be 3, then 1 and 2, and finally 4. But 2 is a bit too bright for me, I like guitars with more bass and sustain.

That 4th guitar, the Alejandrowould not pass airport security, that headstock is a weapon man!

By the way Deteresa, your negra would have did well in this comparison.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2010 15:17:39

Tom Blackshear

I actually like this guitar better, see if the maestro Rubio can build one of these.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2010 15:40:56

Andy Culpepper

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to rogeliocan

quote:

By the way Deteresa, your negra would have did well in this comparison.

Thanks man. I respect your choice in guitars, although it is clearly different than mine

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2010 15:48:45

rogeliocan

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

that negra sound is about what I shoot for.

Well, you are doing a good job because your negra is as flamenco sounding as that number 2 but yours has more bass. That is how I heard it when I played it, and in my taste, I prefer that. So good job.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2010 16:59:19

Murieta

Yeah i seen this video, you can really distinguish the sound of the negra when he plays all four guitars in one video. The guitar that i showed was in fact his houser i think i said that when i put up the post. This is a very good video, thanks for the post.
quote:

ORIGINAL: stpercival

Good day to you. I have played several of GV Rubio's flamenco guitars and they are class. He makes an archtop maple that is really awesome. BTW the guitar pictured on the original post is not a flamenco negra. I believe it is his houser, his negra has a different rosette. Try this link on youtube comparing several guitars and his negra (2nd) sounds superior to the rest. And no I am not a "sock Puppet."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 4:12:53

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Rob MacKillop

Yeah i also though the second one sounded much better, it was very bright and edgy. based on some of the luthier videos i seen I think this attribute is because of the rosewood back and sides. Thats why i am leaning towards a negra as my first flamenco. Thanks for the post.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob MacKillop

In order of preference, 2314. The first seemed too classical-like for my tastes, and the last did nothing for me. Difficult to choose between the 2nd and 3rd.

Good playing...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 4:20:29

Murieta

Santos Hernandez huh, nice. How much does this guitar cost? 1933 wouldn't this make it less valuable since i heard that the sound of a guitar declines with too much age, from this video it did not seems so but is this true? and by the way i noticed that the guitar had old styled tuning pegs, would this constantly keep the guitar out of tune? I am asking you these questions because you mentioned that you are a luthier and i want to know from a guitar makers perspective. Great video by the way.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 4:29:07

Stephen Eden

well fit pegs are as good as any mechanical tuners out there. They even help keep the head lighter.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 7:37:38

kozz

Looped the video several times wwithout watching and stopped it at a moment which I thought what sounded great....
No.1

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 9:51:52

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murieta

Santos Hernandez huh, nice. How much does this guitar cost? 1933 wouldn't this make it less valuable since i heard that the sound of a guitar declines with too much age, from this video it did not seems so but is this true? and by the way i noticed that the guitar had old styled tuning pegs, would this constantly keep the guitar out of tune? I am asking you these questions because you mentioned that you are a luthier and i want to know from a guitar makers perspective. Great video by the way.

The Santos guitar has a character that many guitar makers have tried to capture. There is a certain voice that only Santos has and other builders try to emulate.

I think John Ray does a pretty good job with his own style that sounds a lot like this recording.

Peg style is not for everybody but I find them easy to use once I get used to them. Pegs don't slip if they are installed right.

And the actual sound matures and will normally mellow out with age but I've not noticed that this would adversely effect the voice. If a flamenco guitar is built right, then it will maintain its voice for as long as the guitar is holding together; taking into account that it is cared for by the player.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 12:35:05

rogeliocan

I like this music. Is it anything in particular? Anyone knows what it is?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 14:50:46

Ramon Amira

The first time I watched that video I didn't realize there were four different guitars on it – all I heard was the first blanca. After listening to all of them I think the negra - number two - sounds best – good flamenco sound all around, then number one.

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 15:15:39

Richard Jernigan

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to rogeliocan

If you're referring to the 4-guitar vid, the palo is sevillanas.

It's about on the border between folklore and flamenco. It's part of the flamenco repertoire, but its native ground is the annual spring fair in Seville where you hear it everywhere.

A lot of people sing and dance Sevillanas, but don't really do any other flamenco.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 16:16:25

rogeliocan

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Thanks but I meant is what he is playing a piece in particular, from someone?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 16:21:29

Murieta

Oh ok, very help full. Thanks
quote:

The Santos guitar has a character that many guitar makers have tried to capture. There is a certain voice that only Santos has and other builders try to emulate.

I think John Ray does a pretty good job with his own style that sounds a lot like this recording.

Peg style is not for everybody but I find them easy to use once I get used to them. Pegs don't slip if they are installed right.

And the actual sound matures and will normally mellow out with age but I've not noticed that this would adversely effect the voice. If a flamenco guitar is built right, then it will maintain its voice for as long as the guitar is holding together; taking into account that it is cared for by the player.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 22:14:25

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Ramon Amira

Yeah i kind of liked the second one better, it sounded louder, clearer and very bright. The first one was nice as well.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Prominent Critic

The first time I watched that video I didn't realize there were four different guitars on it – all I heard was the first blanca. After listening to all of them I think the negra - number two - sounds best – good flamenco sound all around, then number one.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2010 22:17:23

daffey

GVR does make his guitars in his shop here in Los Angeles. I've been to it and met him. He is very nice and humble gent. He also does great repair work. Many local luthiers in the Los Angeles area actually send their guitars to German for lacquer and polish. He is the real deal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2010 5:08:47
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post