Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

I am Planning on buying a really good Flamenco & Classical guitar, Any Suggestions   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Murieta

I am Planning on buying a really goo... 

Hello to all i am new to this forum, i just wanted to ask i am planning on buying a flamenco and classical guitar and i am planning on spending a lot on each and need to know what really good Luthiers are there that sell quality guitars ?

I ask my guitar teacher who is a master at guitar and he says to go with a German Vazquez Rubio "Negra" for flamenco guitar, any Advice on this luthier? This guitar shown here i believe is his Hauser model

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2010 23:50:01

jshelton5040

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Murieta

well ms. murieta (sock puppet). I wouldn't buy any guitar from a luthier who copied someone else's head design.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 0:51:53

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to jshelton5040

Its Mr Murieta dude. A copied headstock really? from who? and would that really matter on a good guitar? one of the main reasons why i signed up on this forum is for advice on a good guitar and since there so many luthiers out there i just want some good opinions.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 1:29:05

Murieta

I have also heard good things from luthier Eric Sahlin, this one looks awesome http://www.guitarsalon.com/product.php?productid=3601
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 1:50:42

Andy Culpepper

A lot of makers have used a similar headstock design. Torres, Hauser, Navarro just to name a few. I never really liked the design personally. But I wouldn't call it copying, just borrowing a common idea.. like a remate por bulerias. I know Rubio uses several designs... maybe this particular guitar was copy or tribute to Hauser?

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 3:00:04

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

Yeah, actually it is supposed to be his Hauser model made out of brazilian rosewood, his negras are made out of indian rosewood. The negra sounds awesome in this website video http://www.guitarsalon.com/product.php?productid=3552, not a huge fan of this website though, i heard some bad stuff from the owner of this store.
quote:

ORIGINAL: deteresa1

A lot of makers have used a similar headstock design. Torres, Hauser, Navarro just to name a few. I never really liked the design personally. But I wouldn't call it copying, just borrowing a common idea.. like a remate por bulerias. I know Rubio uses several designs... maybe this particular guitar was copy or tribute to Hauser?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 3:15:35

Ramon Amira

quote:

The negra sounds awesome in this website video http://www.guitarsalon.com/product.php?productid=3552,

That's the blanca-est looking "negra" I have ever seen.

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 6:01:45

HolyEvil

Isn't GV Rubio quite famous for his flamenco guitars?
I think Michael from the board has his guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 7:02:23

gbv1158

quote:

spending 3 to 5 thousand on each and need to know what really good Luthiers are there that sell quality guitars for this Price?

Anders Eliason!
I have a blanca ; he makes guitars so beautifull and very well balanced in saund that you can play in a concert!
He is also a gentlemen and you can trust any he's suggestion : http://www.eliassonguitars.com/

ciao
Giambattista (Italy)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 8:08:50

Stephen Eden

There are alot of Great Makers in and around your price range. If your really not sure of what you want the best advice would be to get down to a shop and find out what you want. There is so much variation I would find it very difficult to say this one maker is perfect for you. Also Dont just look at guitars in your price range. Look above and below. Higher Price does not mean better guitar! you never know you might find two guitars at half the cost!!

On a side note. I heard that Kai Narezo said that the best blanca at GSI was a Pablo Requena blanca. I dont think they have it anymore mind you.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 8:18:56

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murieta

Its Mr Murieta dude. A copied headstock really? from who? and would that really matter on a good guitar?

This is an absolutely classic sock puppet layout. I.E. someone looking for a good guitar and puts on a full page ad and endorsement from a no-name master guitarist.

If you're not a puppet ignore my comment. The head design is Hauser by the way.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 14:54:12

rogeliocan

quote:

any Advice on this luthier?

Never heard of him.
First thing, have you tried his guitars? do you like the feel of the neck? Do you like the sound? Does he build to your specs (do you prefer reinforced neck, etc)

If No, what does it matter who this luthier is, you are not interested.
If Yes, and the quality is there, what does it matter what other people think or that all his other guitars are crap or not, you might have a gem or a dud, the guitar is what you are looking for or it isn't.

I don't get consumer guide approach to hand made guitars it makes no sense to me.

2 guitars!? Was your house on fire?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 18:18:28

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Stephen Eden

I definitely agree with you, a good guitar is a good guitar. I may have plans on purchasing a guitar from this luthier but when i get to the store and try everything out i may want to get something else, maybe more expensive or cheaper guitar depending on the sound. This brand was recommended to my by my guitar instructor Joe lopicollo, this guy is sick at classical and jazz so i am willing to take his advice on a good guitar. He also offered to sell me his Gerundino Gonzales blanca for cheap but i am more interested in a negra so i declined. I just simply want to know if any one has a GV rubio and what are your opinions on that luthier.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 20:38:26

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to rogeliocan

my reply to you is the same as i said to (SEden), when purchasing a classical or flamenco guitar one has to always be able to try out the instruments before making a final purchase. As you may know every guitar is different, but i am simply asking for advice because i am planning on getting one classical and one flamenco guitar that will last me for many years. P.S and no my house was not on fire, lol.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 20:47:25

Murieta

yeah, well he does make a classical Hauser model based on the original Hermann Hauser. His flamenco negra is made out of indian rosewood back and sides and his classical Houser model is made out of Brazilian rosewood back and sides, which is i believe to be priced around 7 grand. Here's his website http://www.guitarsbygvr.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 20:55:55

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to gbv1158

Anders Eliason? i will have to look him up. Does he have any you-tube videos of his guitars by any chance? Thanks for your suggestion.
quote:

ORIGINAL: gbv1158

quote:

spending 3 to 5 thousand on each and need to know what really good Luthiers are there that sell quality guitars for this Price?

Anders Eliason!
I have a blanca ; he makes guitars so beautifull and very well balanced in saund that you can play in a concert!
He is also a gentlemen and you can trust any he's suggestion : http://www.eliassonguitars.com/

ciao
Giambattista (Italy)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 21:01:22

Anders Eliasson

If you search Eliasson2007 on youtube, you´ll find a lot of my videos.

You can also visit my website: www.eliassonguitars.com

Anders

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 21:21:20

jshelton5040

quote:

yeah, well he does make a classical Hauser model based on the original Hermann Hauser. His flamenco negra is made out of indian rosewood back and sides and his classical Houser model is made out of Brazilian rosewood back and sides, which is i believe to be priced around 7 grand. Here's his website http://www.guitarsbygvr.com/

I have no interest in buying other people's guitars. I've been a luthier for over 40 years.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 22:37:09

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Your guitars sound and look awesome, where are you located? it your site said Spain.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

If you search Eliasson2007 on youtube, you´ll find a lot of my videos.

You can also visit my website: www.eliassonguitars.com

Anders
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 22:59:51

Murieta

I am not trying to advertise anything shelton, just trying to clarify my answer about the GV rubio/Hauser guitar. By the way the person who referred me to this brand was from my teacher Joe lopicollo, check out his site http://www.joelopiccolo.com/. And he is an endorser for this guitar brand called Godin.
quote:

ORIGINAL: jshelton5040

quote:

I have no interest in buying other people's guitars. I've been a luthier for over 40 years.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2010 23:05:42

Cloth Ears

If you have cloth ears, like me then even cheap guitars sound good.

However, they dont have the feel and tone of a value-for-money Vicente Carrillo guitar

Oh, and I can tell you how to get one at the lowest price and I refuse to take a cut!

check my profile link and PM me if you want to know more.

I will also give you guidance on selection, and if you pay my airfare...I will hapily accompany you to help you decide if you want to go ahead. I couldn't afford to go to spain this year unless I sold either the 2005 1a negra (perfect in every way...mebbe you wanna try?) or the even perfecter [sic] 2006 blanca...and I miss the deserted feel of southern Cuenca. lol...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 0:05:48

Escribano

quote:

I am not trying to advertise anything shelton, just trying to clarify my answer about the GV rubio/Hauser guitar. By the way the person who referred me to this brand was from my teacher Joe lopicollo, check out his site http://www.joelopiccolo.com/. And he is an endorser for this guitar brand called Godin.

Are you spamming? You ask for advice on guitars and then give us loads of "recommendations". Is that a sock puppet? Never heard the term, perhaps a shill. Stinks to me anyway.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 0:12:26

HemeolaMan

GVR is legit, Giacomo owns one, I've held it in my hands. Giacomo has a gvr blanca, and has told me stories of how he has enjoyed gvr himself. this isnt spam i don't think.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 3:26:09

Murieta

Spam? Sock Puppet? wtf, I am just trying to get a good opinion on a good guitar since buying a flamenco and classical guitar is a first for me, thats all No BS.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 4:26:58

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to HemeolaMan

So its good stuff? or what?
quote:

ORIGINAL: HemeolaMan

GVR is legit, Giacomo owns one, I've held it in my hands. Giacomo has a gvr blanca, and has told me stories of how he has enjoyed gvr himself. this isnt spam i don't think.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 4:28:23

HemeolaMan

I didnt play it, but it seemed pretty solid. Its not a primera but then again it isnt designed to be. GVR doesn't actually make the guitars...its basically a guitar imported from mexico. But a damn good guitar. no BS. I personally am not going to buy one but that's because i am a fan of salvador castillo and own one of those, which i highly recommend.

Honestly though, I have payed an Anders or two and many people here own them. They are ultra hi quality and the pedigree is solid. I have done a lot of research and tried a lot of guitars but really it boils down to this : i trust anders. He will make a great guitar.

other than another castillo, there are only three more guitars I will own for certain, listed here in no particular order 1. a barbero (unlikely at best) 2. a stephen faulk and 3. an anders eliasson

barbero speaks for itself. Anders makes guitars in a way which really makes sense: a combination of function and "because i like it this way". and stephen is bat sh!t crazy and makes great instruments!

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 5:35:45

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to HemeolaMan

I heard of Salvador Castiillo, he is a luthier from Paracho Michoacan Mexico right. Yeah i agree with you he makes nice guitars. I happend to own a paracho guitar not by Castillo but it is a student kind i got for cheap. Sounds very nice for a student guitar as i was told by my uncle, who by the way is a huge fan of paracho guitars. I don't know if my uncle knows about this particular luthier or if he owns one but i will have to ask him.

Anders Eliasson, yeah i looked up his you tube video and his website, the guitars look and sound awesome. I will keep him and the other luthiers in mind as well but I will keep exploring a bit more.

Thanks for the reply, really helpful by the way.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 6:29:24

Escribano

quote:

wtf, I am just trying to get a good opinion on a good guitar since buying a flamenco and classical guitar is a first for me, thats all No BS.

Then I would recommend Anders as well. I have one and very happy with it. If you can find a used one for that price.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 7:57:37

gj Michelob

Good morning everyone. I finally made it back to the US. Venice was beautiful, and the heinous advertisements covering the St. Mark’s church (of which Estevan had most compassionately warned me) were lifted under popular demand.

Murieta:

German Vazquez Rubio became famous when his replica of a “Hauser” won first prize at some luthiers’ prestigious competition. His name has remained on the map steadily, and his prices increased accordingly.

I had two of his flamenco blancas, and still have one.

Both instruments have superb sound quality. However, and this is absolutely a subjective problem, I had a lot of work done to achieve the comfortable playability my Conde Hermanos had me spoiled to expect of a flamenco guitar.

If you have such open-ended budget as you suggest (a nice feeling indeed) I recommend that you visit a creditable retailer and spend endless time trying guitars. I cannot overstress enough the importance of playing your repertory on each selection, wear out your hands and tire your ears on as wide an assortment as it may be available.

I regret so many mistakes hurriedly made under the spell of prestigious labels. Not only each instrument will present its own variations from any other specimen marked with the same name, but your manner of playing and feeling a guitar will also weigh heavily.

Whether you are spending a few hundred or thousands of dollars, you should sit down patiently and try the guitars, without the pressure of a quick purchase, but the prudent counsel a long term investment requires.

Los Angeles is your place, GVR, GSI and Dan Zeff are all within a cab ride range. I could not think of a better vacation.

Hasta luego y suerte, amigo

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 13:23:09

Murieta

RE: I am Planning on buying a really... (in reply to gj Michelob

Well Said gj Michelob! I happen to live in the LA suburbs and GVR is in LA and GSI in santa monica not to shure where Dan Zeff is but is should also be close. I will definitely try all the guitars in the GSI and GVR until i find the sound that i am looking for. I just wanted some opinions and some recommendation because i know there are some luthiers out there that have a good reputation for the consistency of quality.

Very, very helpful. You read my mind, thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2010 20:22:20
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post