Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

What have flamenco given you?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

odinz

What have flamenco given you? 

I thought it would be interesting to see what flamenco has given people hereabouts!

Your thoughts and feelings and whatever, i dont know if there is a simmilar thread, sorry if it is!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2010 19:30:39

yohan

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to odinz

frustration, headaches, nightmares....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2010 19:35:12

Doitsujin

EDIT : Im drunk and shouldnt tell you that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2010 19:52:54

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to yohan

besides the frustration and constant worry to sound good especially playing in front of others, it has given me a lot, technique, "an ear", persistence, discipline, some respect, and many friends...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2010 22:00:30

Escribano

A sore arse

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2010 22:02:08

gj Michelob

quote:

I thought it would be interesting to see what flamenco has given people hereabouts!

Your thoughts and feelings and whatever, i dont know if there is a simmilar thread, sorry if it is!

Flamenco has given me…. a cyclical succession of exhilarating hope followed by meek disappointment in my ability to play the instrument I love. I am now seduced by my own ignorance of flamenco and enjoy relearning it all from the ground zero I inflicted upon myself. Therefore, more humility and less contempt now accompany me in what I thought would be a simple a journey -from LAmenor to Mimajor- and revealed as long and uncertain as el Camino de Santiago de Compostela.

For whatever it may mean to some of you, each time I hold my “flamenca” I give thanks to our Lord for such gift.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2010 23:12:22

GuitarVlog

Calluses on the tips of my left-hand, a lighter wallet as money flows to gear and sheet music, and perhaps a few annoyed neighbors.

And I love it!

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2010 23:43:04

gounaro

I think that flamenco gives you a lot, but takes you a lot too.... You decide what to do!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 1:24:37

Florian

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to gounaro

its given me more than i would have ever expected...or dared ask for

patience, some discipline, many friends, humility, confidence, opportunities, travel, sex, love, drunken nights, some money (not a lot but enough to survive), lots of pleasure...some stress...but very little in comparasment...but most important its given me a purpose...i don't have to be one of those people wondering what it is that i love in life or want to do...i am never ever bored or lonely, never confused.....i am just as happy being out socializing or with a girl as i am being a home by myself practicing something in front of the computer for 6 hours..or transcribing something or listening to flamenco...so its also made me independent and self reliant

also ...u are always achieving goals when u are conquering a falseta or something you couldn't do before regardless how big or small ..so u constantly have that feeling that there's no limits and everything is possible and doable with enough practice and patience...and that translates to other aspects of your life too

at the risk of sounding a little cheesy i feel like finding flamenco truly was a gift to me and feel like the luckiest guy on earth every single day...i have one purpose and one goal in life...to continue to be in flamenco and to continue to improve...at whatever rate...sometimes big improvements sometimes small and almost unnoticeable...but even when u stand still in flamenco you are improving imo cause u are building up experience and are internalizing things u have no idea u are internalizing..so much of improving in flamenco is unnoticeable but also necessary....things u cant exactly put your fingers on or point out..but are never the less there in you every time you play

u go to any city in the world with a flamenco school ( and that's almost everywhere ) and you have instant friends and people you have a lot in common with

good topic...i always knew this kind of things in general but its nice to think about it in more detail when writing it down...so i can read it back to myself and remind myself

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 2:10:35

[Deleted] (in reply to odinz

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 3:00:17

Florian

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to Guest

hahhhah

it was my first reaction ...but then i accidentay started to think about it seriously......so the deep , a touch too long speech

that's why they never let me win anything.... people know what i am going to be like in the speech god help the world if i ever get an excuse to make a speech on tv...it will be the only speech where instead of being graceful the guy making the speech is sounding bitter, and defensive and cursing and blaming..i plan to display no grace whatsoever

probably something very close to this

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 3:03:40

orsonw

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to Guest

quote:

at the risk of sounding a little cheesy

Please don't worry about that Florian, I appreciate your sincerity. I identify with your thoughts but didn't write mine down. I often have to contain myself on the foro because flamenco means so much to me.

I always enjoy it when Ron begins a post- "dear fellow sufferers" like we are afflicted with an obsessive disease. I feel more possessed than obsessed and I like it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 7:41:18

Mike_Kinny

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 26 2010 22:05:21
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 8:00:00

Florian

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to Mike_Kinny

quote:

Started to be popular among girls, ended up discussing nails with middle-aged men.

brilliant !

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 8:11:10

XXX

Its just a hobby for me, but although its very time consuming, i could never take it so far as nealf.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 9:09:46

KMMI77

To many thoughts, experiences and influenced decisions to mention.

I often ask myself, What would my life be like if i had never picked up a guitar? Its influence has so great that i cannot realistically imagine the alternative.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 10:15:49

michel

quote:

...an excuse to drink e beer between each falseta (..and i know many falsetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 10:34:17

at_leo_87

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to Florian

quote:

but most important its given me a purpose...i don't have to be one of those people wondering what it is that i love in life or want to do...

OLE!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 17:29:24

Estevan

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

I am now seduced by my own ignorance of flamenco

Bravo!

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 17:36:36

yohan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
sex,

please explain

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 19:06:34

Florian

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to yohan

quote:

please explain

I don't think i have too...I am sure you know ...its given me almost as much sex as alcohol has but like i said the most important things are the deep feelings and the purpose in life and all that other crap

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 19:40:42

Ron.M

I think it's always been a secret refuge..an escape from the day to day world.

"In my mind I still need a place to go"..Neil Young

When listening carefully to a falseta or trying to learn it, or practising.. nothing else matters at the time...also listening to a good Flamenco singer gives you a perspective on things IMO.

It's the fountain..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 19:44:49

odinz

quote:

at the risk of sounding a little cheesy i feel like finding flamenco truly was a gift to me and feel like the luckiest guy on earth every single day...i have one purpose and one goal in life...to continue to be in flamenco and to continue to improve...at whatever rate...sometimes big improvements sometimes small and almost unnoticeable...but even when u stand still in flamenco you are improving imo cause u are building up experience and are internalizing things u have no idea u are internalizing..so much of improving in flamenco is unnoticeable but also necessary....things u cant exactly put your fingers on or point out..but are never the less there in you every time you play

Thats not cheesy florian, actually i find that beautifully written, i think you answered for a whole lot of people with that, it is surely how i feel, or will when i am going to actually study flamenco

Good to hear youve got it with the ladies!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2010 22:08:21

James Ashley Mayer

Respect from other musicians without playing more than a fragment. Identity. Friends. Girls. Confidence to pick up any other instrument and know that I can learn to play it. Tendinitis.

I also like what Florian said about having a purpose. There too much to learn and that learning is too much fun to really ever experience boredom again. However, I have to cut my practices short or suffer flaring tendinitis. It sucks to be forced to take long breaks and find something else to do.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2010 0:18:54

Florian

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to James Ashley Mayer

thanks guys its nice to know i am not the only cheesy one here :-)

quote:

I have to cut my practices short or suffer flaring tendinitis. It sucks to be forced to take long breaks and find something else to do.

that sucks...i dont know how i would deal with it, i had a scare last year thinking i had something serious but it just turned out to be something i was doing wrong...i was getting too excited and gripping the guitar and tensing up to hard with my left hand when playing for dancers...i started to pay attention to that and remain concentrated and it went away...

but i soposse if i couldn't play all the time i would still practice around it...find things to do around it to make every moment count...transcribe stuff i liked (that dosent require too much playing), or listen to a lot of flamenco, analyze different compases and nice rhythms for bulerias, put them all aside to transcribe them ...practice palmas....i am sure i am not telling you anything new..u prob already do all this...but there's ways around it...and all those things have to be done anyway

do your hands hurt equally bad ? or is it just one

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2010 5:12:50

odinz

RE: What have flamenco given you? (in reply to James Ashley Mayer

I think this here is the reason to make sure your technuique is perfect, so do everything slowly to make sure?

i used to get it before, actually from typing on the computer, but i still had to look at my technuique at computing-

if its something else, i think you should meet the doctor, stuff like that can be serious, what if you can never pick up your guitar again!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2010 5:19:25

henrym3483

it's given me lates nights, great holidays, a sore head from too much manzanilla, and a sense of that music is not just a bunch of notes but divine inspiration and communion with god.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2010 10:33:47

James Ashley Mayer

It's actually getting better. I still have a tendency to tense up with my left hand. I find it very hard to just press down enough to fret the note and get a good tone. The problem is in both of my hands. The sides of the wrist and tops of the forearms are the problem areas.

Some things that I've been doing that seem to be working:
- play while looking in the mirror. I tend to sit with bad posture and slump my shoulders so I look up at the mirror and recognize when it's happening.
- I ditched the cross-legged sitting style. I can't stay relaxed in that position for long. I've also ditched the footstool for a Dynarette over my right leg which I highly recommend. It gets my guitar in the same place as the cross-legged approach. Also, I switch between using the Dynarette and playing old-school style where the guitar is held between my left elbow and right thigh. This gets my back straightened out nicely.

Florian, when I couldn't play flamenco, I started playing steel guitar. The instrument has it's own unique challenges but sliding a bar around is far less technical than flamenco, obviously. This allowed me to continue to study music when not playing flamenco guitar. I look at the steel as a fretless bowed instrument with less technical challenges. It's my cello.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2010 16:37:29

Neotriz

A closer step to heaven

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2010 18:14:56

Ricardo

everything.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2010 20:36:02
Page:   [1]