Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Acoustic Performance   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rombsix

Acoustic Performance 

Performing a couple of songs with two of my friends at one of our graduation ceremonies.

1- The Calling --- Wherever You Will Go
2- Led Zeppelin --- Going to California
3- Pearl Jam --- Black
4- Pink Floyd --- Wish You Were Here

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2010 20:33:40

rombsix

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to rombsix

Hello mates,

YouTube sent me the following after I uploaded the video of my friends and me playing Black by Pearl Jam, and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. I don't really understand how this works. If a song is copyrighted, and I make a video of myself playing and singing this song, does that qualify as copyright infringement?

Any lawyers out there who can help me out?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 12:32:18

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

If a song is copyrighted, and I make a video of myself playing and singing this song, does that qualify as copyright infringement?

Yes, and this can get ugly and expensive. Even if you sample a split second of the song it's infringement...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 14:20:17

rombsix

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

Even if you sample a split second of the song it's infringement...

Isn't every single song out there copyrighted? And along the same lines, aren't 90% (or even more) of videos of people playing guitar and singing on YouTube ones where they are covering songs that are NOT their own compositions? If so, does that mean most of such videos are illegal and should be taken off YouTube? If that truly is the case, I guess that very few videos of people singing and playing would remain on YouTube.

Isn't that pushing it a bit too far?

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 14:39:33

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

Isn't every single song out there copyrighted? And along the same lines, aren't 90% (or even more) of videos of people playing guitar and singing on YouTube ones where they are covering songs that are NOT their own compositions? If so, does that mean most of such videos are illegal and should be taken off YouTube? If that truly is the case, I guess that very few videos of people singing and playing would remain on YouTube.

Isn't that pushing it a bit too far?

These organizations choose to go after some people and not others and some offences are more expensive than others. For example, the standard settlement per shared song is 68K USD in US courts. The RIAA knows it can’t go after everyone so they go after a few people to scare the rest.

I agree that most song performances on Ytube are of copy written material and I do think they take it too far, but they’ve spent the last 10 years litigating these issues and the law is on their side. This situation is different than file sharing and you are allowed to remove the material without incurring prosecution and a fine. It’s part of the Digital Millennium Copywrite Act and I think it’s called a “forgiveness clause.” Ytube will probably delete your vids. If they do don’t put them back up or you can be sued by the RIAA and banned by Ytube.

Congratulations on your graduation. After you pay off your student loans you can buy a Conde or Devoe.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 15:50:39

rombsix

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

After you pay off your student loans you can buy a Conde or Devoe.

No student loans to pay off, thank God. Conde or Devoe? I don't see that happening in quite some time... CG171SF? Maybe.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 16:20:26

gj Michelob

quote:

If a song is copyrighted, and I make a video of myself playing and singing this song, does that qualify as copyright infringement?

First of all congratulations, Rombsix, on your graduation. Your newly acquired title adds handsomely to the international group of physicians posting on the forum.

Second, while I too enjoy using my flamenco guitar to play some “pop” music, I find it well fit for arpeggios and finger-picking. For the kind of strumming (albeit enjoyable) that you use it for, perhaps a steel string guitar could reward you with a more proper sound.

Third, the Infringement:

Generally, a copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, performed or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

The issue is whether one has the copyright owner's permission, which I presume you do not.

Publishing the original work (say a video or sound) without permission and particularly if (i) for profit or (ii) commercial exploitation (as soundtrack to an advertisement, for example) would entitle the copyright owner to seek an injunction to restrain any further infringement and to pecuniary damages.

However, in this situation, of a couple of newly commissioned physicians singing and strumming along a few songs at a graduation party for an intimate crowd of friends and family, the infringement amounts to a “de minimis” (in terms of damages) which “lex non curat” [too little for the Law to care].

Publication of the video on YouTube may, however, require that licensing fees (royalties) be paid to the Copyright Office Licensing Division (as radio stations do) and/or to striking the video, by YouTube.

However yet, I would not worry, because I presume your performance was not compensated nor the guests paid any fee–and with all due respect, if anyone did, you should refund the value…

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 16:33:05

Escribano

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

Your newly acquired title adds handsomely to the international group of physicians posting on the forum.

Hey, I am a qualified diagnostic imaging guy (Middlesex Hospital, London) - CAT scanning, MRI and ultrasound. I also read English Law at school (contracts and tort) so we could at least start a medico-legal practise, or even a clinic? Congrats Rombsix.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 17:15:04

gj Michelob

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Hey, I am a qualified diagnostic imaging guy (Middlesex Hospital, London) - CAT scanning, MRI and ultrasound. I also read English Law at school (contracts and tort) so we could at least start a medico-legal practise, or even a clinic?

A well educated Foro, ineed, too bad only a few of the 3,500 learned members we have here can also play the Flamenco the Foro is named after....

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 18:28:56

rombsix

Gj:

Thanks for the elaborate reply. I agree, a steel-string would probably sound better for strumming. I just don't have the money for one at the moment, plus, I don't intend on playing with a pick in general (nor with my nails on a steel-string). So, I don't think I'll be getting one soon...

What do you think about the fact that YouTube says I don't need to actually take any action (like removing the video), and that the video will still be viewable worldwide, although some ads may appear next to it? Do you think that's just a polite way of telling me to take down the video?

About fees: we didn't charge any money for performing, of course. But were you referring to me refunding said fee (had it been collected) because it would make things illegal had I charged one to begin with, or because you thought our performance sucked to such a horrid extent that we should have even PAID the folks to listen? Be it the latter, then I'll have to stand firm saying that it was not that bad (seeing that we only rehearsed three times, etc.).

Simon:

Thanks mate! Physicians are generally always afraid of "the courts," and anything medico-legal in general. Wouldn't mind having you get some MR or CT images for me, and Gj making sure we don't infringe any laws in the process.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 18:32:18

Ron.M

quote:

too bad only a few of the 3,500 learned members we have here can also play the Flamenco the Foro is named after....

Or even be bothered to shell out a couple of bucks (loose change) every now and then in support of Forum projects.

Cheers,

Ron

BTW: Ramzi.. Are you now "Dr" Ramzi or is there still more to do before you get that title?

Congratulations on getting your Degree, amigo!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 18:43:31

gj Michelob

quote:

What do you think about the fact that YouTube says I don't need to actually take any action (like removing the video), and that the video will still be viewable worldwide, although some ads may appear next to it? Do you think that's just a polite way of telling me to take down the video?

Rombsix, you have so many videos on your YouTube channel, many are covers of copyrighted songs or some play-along. If you were to take such action, you would be left only with a few flamenco falsetas (my favorite part of your channel, really). Do not worry, let YouTube tell you what to do when it will be necessary (typically a complaint by Pink Floyd’s management).

quote:

About fees: we didn't charge any money for performing, of course. But were you referring to me refunding said fee (had it been collected) because it would make things illegal had I charged one to begin with, or because you thought our performance sucked to such a horrid extent that we should have even PAID the folks to listen? Be it the latter, then I'll have to stand firm saying that it was not that bad (seeing that we only rehearsed three times, etc.).

I was teasing you, Rombsix, and obviously a quick witted gentleman, you saw the split meaning of my advice, one of possible grave legal concern, the other implying censure of your performance. I like how passionate you are about music and how unashamedly public you are about all that you play. Not a reproach, believe me, I somehow envy your uninhibited desire to share your music and performance …. I used to be the same way…. Then I suppose I turned “old” !!

However, I am still planning to post a few videos as well if August proves as quiet as it traditionally is.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 18:56:04

rombsix

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to Ron.M

Ron:

Unfortunately, I don't make any money yet. Thus, I can't be of any use in terms of making donations to the foro. As for the title of "doctor," I've officially earned it now. However, in the medical ranks, I'm still an intern. I will need to become a resident, then a fellow, then an attending. And if I choose to pursue a PhD, then that's a totally different ballgame (with academic ranks like assistant professor, associate professor, etc.).

Gj:

You're totally right about my YouTube channel having lots of content that shouldn't be up there. I'm glad you like the flamenco bits (I do too, the most). However, it's a shame that all the people ask for is Arabic song covers. I made the mistake once of posting a couple of songs for the purpose of getting my Arabic Pop band members to learn the chords of the songs, and then viewers saw the videos, started making requests, and I was trapped. I'm going to take down only videos that YouTube tells me to take down.

And about being too "trigger-happy" when it comes to posting videos: I just like to get stuff out there in the hopes of helping others learn some chords to a couple of songs they like to sing, or get inspired by some nifty falsetas from here and there. It's all out of good intentions. I believe the saying goes, however, that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." Or is that a saying of my creation?

Looking forward to your videos...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 20:16:57

mark indigo

quote:

a steel-string would probably sound better for strumming

better than a flamenco?

but flamenco guitars are made for strumming!

the steel stringers have got it all wrong (jumped up banjo players the lot of them - JOKE!), they should be using nails on a flamenco guitar!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 20:57:42

rombsix

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

but flamenco guitars are made for strumming!

Well, for rasgueados, that's for sure. But strumming chords to accompany the vocals to a pop, soft rock, or alternative song would sound better on a steel-string because you get that metallic, "ringy" sound. The guitar I was playing in the video was a classical one (for $80 only) - so you can imagine.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 21:29:33

rombsix

I just deleted all of the videos I think might create problems off my YouTube channel. There goes the end of an era... Two years of making covers to help people learn how to play the chords to songs they like to sing.

Maybe I can focus better on my studies, and on flamenco, now, instead.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 22:24:34

gj Michelob

quote:

I just deleted all of the videos I think might create problems off my YouTube channel. There goes the end of an era... Two years of making covers to help people learn how to play the chords to songs they like to sing.

Maybe I can focus better on my studies, and on flamenco, now, instead.

As you can see from a parallel thread, Rombsix, I wrote to the legal department at Google submitting inquiries about their infringement policy. I share your grief and will wholeheartedly lobby to carve out exceptions allowing tutorial videos to survive as exception to the infringement policy (generally such exception is only available when the educational aspect is restricted and not as open-ended as worldwide streaming videos maybe).

I am hopeful we may find a solution… and this could be the next challenge for ForoFlamenco “save tutorial videos of YouTube!!”

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 22:51:38

rombsix

You rule, GJ!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 23:37:14

kozz

quote:

does that qualify as copyright infringement?

Ramzi,
check this documentary about Copyright, how it was intended, and how it is used nowadays.

http://films.nfb.ca/rip-a-remix-manifesto/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2010 7:11:28

rombsix

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to kozz

quote:

Ramzi,
check this documentary about Copyright, how it was intended, and how it is used nowadays.

Thanks kozz!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2010 16:44:04

Ricardo

"no action is required on your part. Your vid is still available, In some cases ads may appear next to your video."

Dude. It was a simple notification that based on the title and tags of what you uploaded (freakin pink floyd ) that they are aware someone ELSE is claiming the copyright already....and will be possibly USING your video for advertising in the future (if they think you are getting enough hits).

So rather then suing people for copyright (pointless unless you want to sue BIG stars like lady gaga etc...you know people with MONEY! ) they can get FREE advertising thanks to you not taking your playing serious enough to get get control of your performances. So they (they being Amazon or whoever might have advertised on your vid NOT PINK FLOYD ) are taking ADVANTAGE of your talent or at least potential popularity to advertise and sell **** through their webs since they don't play music and can't do such a thing.

So you WERE helping someone (NOT PINK FLOYD) make money before you took it down.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2010 23:29:35

rombsix

RE: Acoustic Performance (in reply to Ricardo

Thanks for the reply, Ricardo.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2010 4:17:33
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]