Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Myth's and Science   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Richard Jernigan

RE: Myth's and Science (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

f we accept what you say above about Jose Ramirez' 1As, then a logical conclusion would be that that model is after all not "scientifically" constructed. Consequently by default it was constructed, perhaps subconsciously, by instinct and intuition.

I believe that Ramirez' ideas were not especially scientific, but his method of testing them was to build, or cause to be built, guitars that he evaluated with the highest critical sense, and to have them evaluated by the greatest players of the day, including Segovia. Thus he arrived at a very successful design.

Here's an example of what I would consider his non-scientific ideas. Segovia repeatedly brought up the problem of "wolf notes". There is no perfect certainty precisely what Segovia meant by the term, but we may interpret it in light of the 'cello. There a wolf note is one that speaks very loudly at first, with a harsh tone, then dies away rapidly.

This description is consistent with an uncontrolled resonance of the top which happens to coincide in frequency with the pitch of a certain note. I believe that most luthiers who look for a physical model of the instrument agree.

Ramirez, on the other hand, in the "de cámara" model, proposed the internal rim affixed to the sides halfway between the back and the top as a cure, or at least a palliative for the wolf tones.

http://www.guitarrasramirez.com/guitarrasDeProfesional.html

(scroll down a bit)

This means he thought the wolf tones arose from the motion of the air in the box. Few if any luthiers, engineers or physicists would agree.

At the time I dealt with Ramirez over a period of a few years I never commented on his enthusiastic explanations of the "de cámara" design, though I thought they were nonsense from the point of view of physics.

The "de cámara¨ design does have an effect on the sound. But it doesn`t cure the wolf notes.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2010 2:17:53

estebanana

RE: Myth's and Science (in reply to Richard Jernigan

I've got a thought guitarmakers are not scientists because they do not really follow true scientific method. ( see link )

Guitarmakers use technology to make an analysis or to help record or compare data. And to follow true scientific method the experiment has to be repeatable and you must share your findings and be subject to peer review.

So maybe guitarmakers use a personal mashup of engineering, physics ect. to enhance, chart out or record data. True scientists often bend the rules of science method too, and there's a part of pure science which becomes artistic.

I think many guitarmakers fail the science test at share your results. :)

Guitarmakers are more like alchemists. They share more traits with alchemists.

Alchemists are trying to turn an inert substance into another substance which is eternal. Classic alchemical texts are written with information omitted or with metaphors so only one initiated into the proprietary secrets of that alchemy school or master can read the text. Alchemy is intuitive by method, but supported by scientific facts and factoids.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_scientific_method.shtml

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2010 4:46:01

estebanana

I think wolf tones are caused by clashing phase shifts between the back and top pushing air around. Segovia was a bonehead. He should have strapped on a cejilla and tried to accompany a flamenco singer like Perrate por solea. He would have failed miserably.

I have opinions, many of them. Most you don't want to hear. :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2010 4:52:15

Richard Jernigan

quote:

I think wolf tones are caused by clashing phase shifts between the back and top pushing air around.

In that case, the "de cámara" model might be a step in the right direction, since it could modify those phase relationships to some extent.

Any tests?

Some have eliminated, or at least moved wolf tones by attaching weights (Blu Tack or the like) to the top in specific locations. This would tend to support the top resonance theory.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2010 14:52:30

Ramon Amira

quote:

This means he (Jose Ramirez III) thought the wolf tones arose from the motion of the air in the box. Few if any luthiers, engineers or physicists would agree.

Well, Estebanana seems to agree with Jose Ramirez:

ESTEBANANA - "I think wolf tones are caused by clashing phase shifts between the back and top pushing air around."

To say that "Few if any luthiers, engineers or physicists would agree" is to merely restate the dispute, not to resolve it. On the whole there is little evidence to suggest that science has ever been significantly useful in the service of art.

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2010 15:14:38

estebanana

Air may have something to do with it. When the back and top move and match phase I think there is a point in some notes where they match phase, but are still slightly out and it creates some type of false harmonic. If you ever played a wolf note on a cello it feels like a false harmonic that is clashing between two phases. Like the note can't quite decide where to be in tune.

There's a probably scientific explanation. :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2010 15:34:01

Ricardo

quote:

Ramirez, on the other hand, in the "de cámara" model, proposed the internal rim affixed to the sides halfway between the back and the top as a cure, or at least a palliative for the wolf tones.

http://www.guitarrasramirez.com/guitarrasDeProfesional.html

(scroll down a bit)

This means he thought the wolf tones arose from the motion of the air in the box. Few if any luthiers, engineers or physicists would agree.

Did you guys read Ramirez's book????

The irony is, he states himself that the way he FINALLY "solved" the problem of these crazy wolf notes, was to literally study the physics involved with sound waves moving in 3D space. In other words, he HIMSELF seemed to think he was using science specifically for this problem. Now I dont know to what extent he actually studied and used physics, but he at least claims it. He also states many times that guitar building is engineering and scientific, NOT an art. At least for him. The implication that is if you know how to do it, you can just follow his engineering plan and make his guitar. He makes fun of the japanese guys that sawed his guitar in half to try to build a copy, not because they are not artists, but they did not learn the reasoning behind his engineering ideas, and were just copying the design as it LOOKS.

About wolf notes, I have never heard such a thing on an acoustic guitar in my entire life. Well, I guess when you are miked up loud you notice weak or strong notes out of the ordinary. But technique or changing the strings or humidity seems to fix all weird "weak" notes for me.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2010 16:21:41

Ramon Amira

quote:

About wolf notes, I have never heard such a thing on an acoustic guitar in my entire life.

Neither have I.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2010 16:27:33

Richard Jernigan

RE: Myth's and Science (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I read his book a few times in both English and Spanish and conversed with him several times while buying guitars from him.

Ramirez didn't strike me as a skilled engineer or physicist. I've been responsible for hiring and supervising such people for decades. He was enthusiastic about his theories, but he did not test or verify them systematically. My experience has been that even the best of engineers and physicists regularly come up with wrong theories. They discover they are wrong through careful testing and analysis, and go on to develop correct ones.

Since Ramirez never systematically tested his theories, we don't know whether they were right or wrong. Furthermore, to me they seemed incoherent. He spoke at length about the propagation of sound waves inside the guitar, as though it were a rigid box. On more than one occasion I tried to steer the conversation toward the vibrational modes of the top and back, but Ramirez seemed uninterested. Of course I didn't pursue the subject as trenchantly as I would have with an employee, or an engineer or physicist in whose work I had a commanding interest.

Ramirez was one hell of a guitar maker and a very astute and successful businessman. Also he was a great teacher and leader, according to Felix Manzanero and Manuel Contreras Sr--both of them successful luthiers and businessmen in their own right.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2010 19:17:53

Richard Jernigan

quote:

About wolf notes, I have never heard such a thing on an acoustic guitar in my entire life.

As I said, there is no absolute certainty precisely what Segovia meant by the term in his letters to Ramirez. At the very least it referred to some unevenness in the guitar's response for certain notes. My remarks in the previous post apply to any such case.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2010 19:33:04

Ron.M

quote:

Me neither...but they must be true since people speak about them..

Maybe they go once a guitar has "opened up"

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2010 20:04:08

Doitsujin

Here I found a few examples of wolf notes. Basically a whole soundboard of wolf notes! (Whatever you do, DON´t hit anus madness)

wolf notes soundboard

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2010 21:09:11

at_leo_87

thank you for the link doit, that cleared up a lot of questions.

but the question remains, how do you fix them?

(on a serious note, very interesting thread)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2010 23:37:57

Richard Jernigan

quote:

but the question remains, how do you fix them?

http://www.beanogas.com/?redirectfrom=www.beano.net

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2010 1:01:46

estebanana

RE: Myth's and Science (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

(Whatever you do, DON´t hit anus madness)

I thought Anus Madness was the best one.

It sounds like the flamenco bass guitar on the old Paco records. Doit, Thanks for the memories.

Hey if you hit the 4 or 5 buttons in compas in some pattern you can make a beat box composition that sounds really good.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2010 9:32:29

estebanana

quote:

Ricardo , I could never afford it so I never read it. I also think a lot of myths were perpetuated by people reading this book. It seems every time I hear an anecdotal story or mythology about Spanish guitar, it seems linked to this book. Jose was a good builder, and a good businessman. I marvel at his sense for business.

The person who's pioneering scientific research I do have interest in is Daniel Friedrich's.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2010 9:40:56

Doitsujin

RE: Myth's and Science (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I thought Anus Madness was the best one.

It sounds like the flamenco bass guitar on the old Paco records. Doit, Thanks for the memories.

I didn´t see the spacebar-option to stop that. So my girlfriend wondered and the wolf notes didn´t stop.... lol

Yes! As you say it... it also reminds me on the bass player of Paco.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2010 18:41:10

Richard Jernigan

quote:

The irony is, he states himself that the way he FINALLY "solved" the problem of these crazy wolf notes, was to literally study the physics involved with sound waves moving in 3D space. In other words, he HIMSELF seemed to think he was using science specifically for this problem. Now I dont know to what extent he actually studied and used physics, but he at least claims it.

Belatedly, it occurs to me to explain the chief reason I doubted Ramirez' claims.

There is no formula which describes the motion of sound waves inside a guitar, even if you picture it as a rigid box. There are equations to be solved, but their solutions don't come out in a nice form where you can look up the answer the way you find the values for sines or cosines in your trigonometry book. To solve the equations you must use a computer. In my opinion, to understand what is going on, the results would have to be displayed graphically, not as pages full of numbers.

The problem of analyzing sound waves inside a rigid guitar shaped box is complex enough, but when you add in the coupling of the motion of the top, which is designed and built to move, the complexity is far more than doubled.

During the 1960s and 1970s, when Ramirez felt he was applying physics to the guitar, it would have required a large mainframe, or even a supercomputer to carry out the calculations.

At the time NASTRAN, the generalized structural analysis program developed by NASA was coming into use. I see myself as a NASTRAN amateur, but professionals worked under my supervision. I am, and was at the time, familiar with the requirements and limitations of such computer codes. Ramirez was not.

In my conversations with Ramirez, and in his book, Ramirez never displayed any actual familiarity with these problems, nor how to solve them, nor any knowledge of people who might have been able to solve them. He may have read some physics books, or talked to physicists, but as far as I know he never solved any physics problem germane to the guitar.

At the time, the company I worked for was considering buying Kaman Science Corporation. I worked for one of the founders of my company. Through him I met Charles H. Kaman.

http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/kaman.html

Besides being an inventor, corporate founder and helicopter expert, Kaman was an enthusiastic classical guitarist. He spoke of analyzing the guitar and building one from controlled engineering materials, not variable and whimsical wood. The result was the original Ovation guitar. Kaman told me he was severely disappointed in the Ovation, but it was a moderate commercial success. Eventually Kaman went to wooden tops for the higher end of the Ovation line.

Kaman was someone who clearly understood the application of physics to the guitar, and the severe limitations of that approach. From my acquaintance with him, and from reading his book, Ramirez was not.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2010 14:14:37

Ron.M

Well, even when I read this in "The Flamenco Guitar" I bought in Madrid 40 years ago I thought it was **** hype, (even though I was young and non-cynical, but I had a good knowledge of Physics and what could and could not be done at the time.)

You can't just read a couple of old Physics books, or even 20 or 100 and then go on to build a great guitar.

That's crap.

If Ramirez thought that taking a Physics degree at Madrid Uni in the '50s was going to give him some great insights into guitar building, he must have been very naive.

It's interesting that after all his experiments, he ended up confirming his father's (or grandfather's) design was just about right.

What a ****-spin cop out!

Even at that time, I felt it was **** advertising hype, much in the same vein as the foreign guitarists "who have studied with the most knowledgeable Gypsies in Spain" put in their program notes and bios.

You just try the guitar....If it's good, it's good..if it's not, it's not..

That's it... No more.

No need for any futher qualifications, endorsements and hype IMO.

Build a good guitar and they will come.

Eso es.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2010 19:38:11

Ramon Amira

There is pretty widespread agreement within the world of flamenco guitar that – however he made it - Jose Ramirez' 1A from that era was an outstanding guitar. Now it seems there are only three explanations for how he came to make this outstanding model.

#1) He somehow actually did apply valid scientific principles that really worked, and thus made this fine guitar. But according to Richard Jernigan that could not be the case, because if RJ is correct he was not well enough versed in those principles, and furthermore did not have access to today's technology - computers, testing equipment, etc. Therefore the conclusion would be that explanation #1 could not account for how he made this fine guitar.

#2) He applied what he mistakenly thought were viable scientific principles, but were in fact not viable at all. In other words, he took a mish-mosh of various pseudo-scientific ideas and based his construction on smoke and mirrors. Since this could not have worked, the conclusion would be that explanation #2 also could not account for how he made this fine guitar.

#3) Since neither explanation number 1 or 2 can account for the construction of his great 1A, we are by default left to conclude that in the end – whether consciously or subconsciously – he actually constructed the guitars using – instinct, intuition, and experience.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2010 23:53:53

Jeff Highland

Hey, lets not be too critical of Pseudo science, there are guys out there making good money from books and workshops peddling basic and incorrect scientific principles applied to the guitar.
We would'nt want to deprive them of a living would we.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 0:10:21

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prominent Critic

There is pretty widespread agreement within the world of flamenco guitar that – however he made it - Jose Ramirez' 1A from that era was an outstanding guitar.

This statement is open to debate. I've seen far more Ramirez flamencos from "that era" that were absolute junk than ones that were outstanding. I realize as a maker it is rather untoward for me to criticize but I was the unfortunate owner of one of those and I had several friends and customers who had similar dogs. I've played $50 Yamahas (at that time) that were better than the 1A flamenco that I bought direct from Ramirez in the late 60's. In fairness I will say that one of the best flamenco guitars I've ever played was a Ramirez from the same time but I always considered it an anomaly.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 0:32:42

Ramon Amira

quote:

I've played $50 Yamahas (at that time) that were better than the 1A flamenco that I bought direct from Ramirez in the late 60's.

Aw, c'mon, JS. Don't you think that's a bit of an overstatement. A $50 Yamaha? While any luthier's output is bound to be uneven, I find it hard to believe that Ramirez ever made any guitar that was as bad as you make it out to have been. Over the years I have played a number of Ramirez 1A from that era, and not one was less than very good, and one of the best guitars I have ever played was a Ramirez blanca from around that time. And according to your own admission, so did you. Just out of curiosity, how many Ramirez from that era have you played to justify your statement that the one you said was "one of the best flamenco guitars you have ever played" was an anomaly?

Cheers -
Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 3:49:09

Richard Jernigan

I really like my '67 Ramirez 1a blanca. A friend had a `73 Conde media luna I liked a little better. I've only played a few other Ramirez 1a blancas, but none of them were really dogs. Just lucky, I guess.

I like my '82 Arcangel Fernandez blanca much more than the Ramirez. But I keep the Ramirez in rondeña tuning. Besides rondeña, Niño Ricardo played a nice zambra in rondeña tuning.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 4:33:03

Ron.M

Of course there are plenty really good Ramirez guitars.

I had a pretty good Ramirez 1A Blanca too, which I bought in 1971.

But remember, he employed a number of other luthiers in his workshops as well as outsourcing his student models.

There is usually a stamp on the inside bearing the initials of the particular luthier who made the guitar.

Mine was "JG", though the guitar was signed by Jose Ramirez.

So you've got to add that into the equation too.

IMO he was a very good businessman as well as a skilled luthier.

(Not as clever as the Conde brothers though! )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 8:47:49

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prominent Critic

Just out of curiosity, how many Ramirez from that era have you played to justify your statement that the one you said was "one of the best flamenco guitars you have ever played" was an anomaly?

Cheers -
Ramon

Can't say how many off hand but I've been building and repairing guitars for almost 50 years so I've seen and played a fair number. In that period of time I've played one Ramirez flamenco that was excellent and one that was ok the rest were variations of the one I owned...some slightly better none worse. I think the Ramirez classics tend to be better guitars than the flamencos.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 14:55:46

Patrick

Several years ago I owned an interesting Ramirez. Long time Foro member Eddy Lastra was taking lessons from Juan Sarrano. Juan contacted Ramirez and had them build a negra for Eddy. At the time, Ramirez didn’t build a negra. What they did was use an East Indian 1A classical and set the neck flatter, put on a lower bridge and tap plates. It was pretty much identical to the Ramirez used by Monolo Sanlucar. In fact it sounded like it as well.

Eddy played it for years and sold it to Dimitri, the fellow that started Flamenco Teacher.com. When Dimitri came down with hand problems he sold it to me. It was a really neat guitar that I wished I had back (as others I have sold). It was 664 scale and that might have been why I sold it, but can’t remember.

It was a really good guitar that was a flamenco, but it really wasn’t. As John said, maybe it was good because it was actually a classical.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 17:00:11

Ron.M

RE: Myth's and Science (in reply to Patrick

quote:

What they did was use an East Indian 1A classical and set the neck flatter, put on a lower bridge and tap plates.

Pat,

I phoned up the Madrid shop about 10 years ago to enquire about the price of a 1A Flamenca Negra and they said that's exactly what they did.

The guy said it would be a Classical Guitar "pero Flamencada".

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 17:12:36

Patrick

quote:

"pero Flamencada".

Yep that's what they called them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 17:48:24

estebanana

A few thoughts:

I've seen and worked on /restored several nice Ramirez flamenco guitars from the mid 1950's to the early 70's. I think many of them sound quite good and are better than other guitars that were "factory" made. I find them quite collectable and that as models for how a flamenco guitar should look, they are sharp. The heel cap is usually that tall elegant drawn up piece integral to the back and Ramirez's builders always make a nice heel. Just my opinion. I've always looked to them as well drawn elegant guitars, best of the mass made guitars in my book.

Daniel Friedrich was the better of the analytical guitar makers who first began testing guitar components systematically. By contrast I have not read Ramirez's book because what excerpts I gleaned when I scanned it briefly indicate there's not much there there. Friedrich on the other hand established a series of tests related to practical things like measuring and recording top and brace deflection under certain loads. He worked concurrently with an acoustic engineer to measure his results. His methodology was sound and he went after the problem in a tangible way as opposed to Ramirez who was off trying to solve something esoteric like wolf tones. I think Ramirez was bored.

I also follow Friedrich as an example of a guitar maker who has integrity. He said he strives to make the best guitars he can, but he was honest enough to say that even though he puts materials and himself through a stringent set of high standards, he misses the mark sometimes. He said in an interview even good guitar makers make duds and that he was no exception. He said he sells them to collectors who don't play. He said something like every 20th guitar was a cut above the rest, meaning the difference between a great guitar and a sublime guitar sound wise and he did not know why.

There are a lot of guitar makers now, but really only a few real masters and I think Friedrich is one of them. The reason is because he does not hype himself or make up ridiculous proprietary names for his specialties in bracing or other structural features. He just builds the guitar and he's honest. By contrast, although I do very much like the Ramirez flamenco guitars and on rare occasion a Conde, I think there's a lot of hype and false market mystery built around those two houses.

(an aside- If I were collecting I would collect the late 1950's Ramirez guitars as Jose rode his team to make an elegant guitar. As for Conde's they are more like Rhinos than Impalas, whatever that means. Of course Gerundino's and Fleta's are sort of brutal too and I like those.)

I think Friedrich was one of the masters who got the scientific game going in guitar building. Others came later and did add some important information to the mix. The twelve hole bridge which is seeing more common use came from right here in the San Francisco area from John Gilbert. He came up with that a long time ago and it's just now being accepted as common. No one builder has cornered the market on contributing to the engineering / scientific development of the guitar, but many have contributed and those concepts get assimilated in the common language of building by merit of the test of time.

And there is still no substitute for intuition guided by practice everyday. It's art because guitarmakers, no matter how technical, have some small voice inside them that says, add a little more here, take a little more there. And science can't touch that.

*I shall dismount my soapbox now*.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2010 3:44:55
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll