Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Phil - Vicente Amigo!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jim Opfer

Phil - Vicente Amigo! 

Hi Phil
I would have posted under 'Flame Wars' but I'd have got lost in the flurry!
Check out Vicente playing for Jose Merce on 'Del Amanecer' track 2, 'En tu Silencio' a Solea por medio.
This is Vicente in his element. Check out the falseta timed to start at 1:53. pure poetry!
This is 'modern flamenco at it's very best. emotion, tradition and totally unique! full of Compas and just perfect.
Vicente has his own musical scale (mode) and this track is in my opinion the work of a modern genius. Just as an aside, he final Remate is on 9, not 10? Now that he's done it and it's so natural, it makes me wonder, why not before?
The entire CD is full of Vicent's invention and it's a treasure.
Please check it out.
Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2003 19:22:13

[Deleted] (in reply to Jim Opfer

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2003 20:34:00

Ron.M

RE: Phil - Vicente Amigo! (in reply to Jim Opfer

Jim,
OK, I'm going to buy that album and check it out.
I know I'm missing something here....a lot of people I respect and admire are into Vincente's stuff.
I've got "Mi Corazon al Aire" album, but it just hasn't clicked with me.
I remember seeing Vincente on TV about 10 years ago and I thought he was absolutely brilliant...but then I got the Album and was a bit disappointed.
I found his style rather "arrogant".
Still, I admit that I am probably the one to blame here for not being open enough, so I'll give it another chance by ordering the Album you mention.
Hope that will please Florian too...LOL!

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2003 21:19:34

Florian

:)))
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2003 0:38:06

Phil

Jim,
In all fairness, I really haven't heard eough V. Amigo to form an opinion on his playing. However, I think I have heard enogh of J.M. Cañizares to say that I don't like his style. I said what I said about Amigo to stir things up a bit here. This forum neede a lively discussion. I didn't realize that he accompanied Jose Merce. I'll have to check it out.

Regarding Jose Merce. He one of the few people that can pull off a double existance (Moraito is another one). By that I mean that he can sing Pop-aflamencada as well unadulterated cante jondo. Another guy that comes to mind is El Chiquetete. He also made the transition from Flamenco to Pop, but he was amuch better Pop singer than a Flamenco singer. Jose Merce seems to be able to do both very well, although using a synthesizer por Malgueñas is stretching things a bit.
Phil
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2003 1:31:19

Jim Opfer

RE: Phil - Vicente Amigo! (in reply to Ron.M

Hi Ron,
Just back from 5 days in Paris Phew...!
Nice guitar shop just across the 'Rue' with some flamenco's, but the shutters were down the whole time!
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the album, I'm sure you will. Like you, I like to dip into things that interest me and change them to suit me and my style of playing, a bit here and a bit there! you can't really do that with Vicente, even a small 'bit' and anyone who knows, would pin point it.
There is also a great CD with 'El Pele' called 'La Fuente de lo Jondo'. I don't know the date when it was recorded but I've had it for at least 5 years. Tight Compas and that unique sense of melody and rhythem.
Lets know what you think when you hear it.
Cheers
Jim
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2003 17:46:23

Jim Opfer

RE: Phil - Vicente Amigo! (in reply to Phil

Hi Phil,
Yes, Canizares is a bit too much for me. I always hear him play right on the edge with so many disschords, sometimes the Cante is too strained and at odds with the guitar to the point where I feel there is conflict and that's wrong.
Check out more Vicente, quite the opposite.
Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2003 17:57:29

Jim Opfer

RE: Phil - Vicente Amigo! (in reply to Guest

Hi Andy,
I'll look forward to that one.
Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2003 17:58:52
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]