Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: what is the best b/s wood for spectacular figure?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Flamingrae

RE: what is the best b/s wood for sp... (in reply to a_arnold

The other set - not so juicy and I should have cut them the other way - but thats how thing go.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2010 14:55:49

jshelton5040

RE: what is the best b/s wood for sp... (in reply to Flamingrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flamingrae

The other set - not so juicy and I should have cut them the other way - but thats how thing go.

That looks like a wood that was sold to me as Honduran Rosewood. I bought a big plank of it from a wood vendor some years ago. It took a long, long time to cure and was rather unstable. Give it some time and watch it carefully before you build a guitar out of it.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2010 22:59:18

Flamingrae

RE: what is the best b/s wood for sp... (in reply to jshelton5040

Yes, thanks for the advice John. I had it machined last year and there was some movement but not for a while now. Then I went and sliced the it all up and this is the result. It is as hard as nails so much so, that the japanese plane finds it difficult. I then reverted to scraping the ribs down. These were done last year too and are pretty settled. It came from old unearthed stock from a timber yard and it could easily have come from any of the latin countries that were exporting 50 odd years ago. It is very close grained, with loads of swirls and beautiful patterns. The guvnor should know what he is talking about though or ...he vamped the Rio up to make sure he got someone interested. Either or, I dont mind if it turns out it's not Rio - it was a bit of speculation on my part that should come to fruition soon. I thought too about putting another piece of heartwood as a central strip. There are two splits about an inch either side of the centre. This would need reinforcing regardless. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers - Rae.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2010 16:13:37

Mike_Kinny

This is my current build.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2010 9:49:44

mrMagenta

RE: what is the best b/s wood for sp... (in reply to Mike_Kinny

Whoa! Now that's a striking look
Very cool
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2010 10:24:00

Mike_Kinny

RE: what is the most b/s wood for sp... (in reply to GuitarVlog

quote:

Maybe Howard Klepper was in the same boat when he produced his Dovetail Madness guitars.

How do they bend the sides? Heat and moisture would loosen the glue joint in no time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2010 10:25:56

Flamingrae

RE: what is the best b/s wood for sp... (in reply to Mike_Kinny

Now that is a corker! What kind of wood is that Mike? I'm sure there has just got to be a ton of other wood out there that we just dont bother with, that would make some really good guitars. That said, people like you are breaking the barriers and trying new stuff. On Bernals website he has some new guitars with interesting backs - the Nogal model. Best of luck with the rest of the build.
Cheers, Rae.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 12:45:28

Mike_Kinny

quote:

Now that is a corker! What kind of wood is that Mike? I'm sure there has just got to be a ton of other wood out there that we just dont bother with, that would make some really good guitars. That said, people like you are breaking the barriers and trying new stuff. On Bernals website he has some new guitars with interesting backs - the Nogal model. Best of luck with the rest of the build.
Cheers, Rae.

That's zebra wood.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 13:36:49

Flamingrae

John - just done a bit of research and I would say that looking at piccies of Honduran rosewood, I'd say that this is pretty much what I have. It is a lot denser than the normal rosewood I have and that would tally with information available. Like you say, a bit awkward to work. Can you tell me about the end result? Any difference in sound compared to other rosewoods - better/worse? and suggestions for varnish/laquer as this can be a bit of an issue with dense woods. Thanks for your info so far

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2010 13:24:10

jshelton5040

quote:

John - just done a bit of research and I would say that looking at piccies of Honduran rosewood, I'd say that this is pretty much what I have. It is a lot denser than the normal rosewood I have and that would tally with information available. Like you say, a bit awkward to work. Can you tell me about the end result? Any difference in sound compared to other rosewoods - better/worse? and suggestions for varnish/laquer as this can be a bit of an issue with dense woods. Thanks for your info so far

The Honduran I had was all heartwood (the maroon colored part) and well quartered so it's a little hard to compare. I built a couple of guitars out of it which both sounded fine; however one of them developed cracks in the back about a year after it was built. I used the rest of it for cabinet wood since I was worried about the stability. I doubt you'll have any trouble with it if as you say the vendor has had it for years and you didn't get any unusual buckling or bending after it was sawn.

I finished it with lacquer as always with no issues. You'll need to use a clear wood filler if you use lacquer.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2010 14:41:48

Flamingrae

quote:

Thanks again John, watch this space and we see what happens. As this is a piece cut towards the outside - it's slab cut - so it will be less stable. I'm just hoping that time is on my side. It is without a doubt the toughest piece of wood that I've worked. However the the grain on the heartwood is just fab, so I'm willing to give it a good go.
Cheers, and thanks again. Rae
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2010 10:55:03
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote