Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

sean65

Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi 

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share a quick review of a DVD I've been working with recently.

Focusing purely on Bulerias the DVD comes with an 86 page clear glossy booklet about the size of a DVD case. There's no wasted words in the booklet or on the DVD itself. A brief page or so on symbols and then straight into the music.

It's split into two sections - Llamadas/Calling (which is the rhythm work) and Falsetas.

There are 32 examples of the Calling. The idea being to learn these to the point that you can mix and match them as you please. There are notes saying which are suitable as intro's or leading into Falsetas etc. Any well trained ear will recognise many of these examples. They all sound great.

Then we get 16 Falsetas. Again, many classics that you'll recognise and want to learn from PDL, Pena, Cepero, Nunez etc.

The DVD has playback options for Guitar only, Guitar Metronome, Guitar Cajon etc.

It's a great no nonsense package. No lengthy explanations, just bite sized examples of finding your way around a Bulerias that can all be strung together using your own artistic taste.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 23:17:36

Elie

RE: Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi (in reply to sean65

1.What is the title of the DVD/book ?
2.Is it released yet ?
3.where is it available ? What cities ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 23:36:54

sean65

1, Clue is in the title of the thread.
2, Clue is in the fact that I have a copy.
3, Earth in general.

Not sure where you are as your location is a bit vague, , but I'm UK based and bought a copy from http://www.esflamenco.com/product/en56121598.html

If you google it you'll likely see some suppliers you're familiar with.

Good luck.

Just one other thing, I should say I've only been 'trying' to play flamenco since the beginning of this year and the level is pitched about right for beginner/intermediate. I've just checked out your YouTube site and it looks like you can play already but the falseta section maybe of interest to you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 1:07:19

Exitao

Um... for #s 1&2, I might need more clues.

As for #3, I find that answer slightly unsatisfactory. You see we don't have internet yet in my part of the world, does this esflamenco place have a fax number?

Um...

If I've never heard of Mehdi Mohagheghi, does this make me a Philistine or paganus or ignoramus of some sort?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 1:49:40

sean65

quote:

Um... for #s 1&2, I might need more clues.

As for #3, I find that answer slightly unsatisfactory. You see we don't have internet yet in my part of the world, does this esflamenco place have a fax number?

Um...

If I've never heard of Mehdi Mohagheghi, does this make me a Philistine or paganus or ignoramus of some sort?

Anyone with half an ounce of gumption wouldn't even ask question 1, 2 & 3.

It's just a review of a DVD guys. Take it or leave. If members put Earth as a location the might end up with unsatisfactory responses.

I guess if you use a product review thread as an excuse to pick a row with other Foro members then I guess it does make you ALL of the above quoted.

Other members may find it useful regardless of who you have or haven't heard of.

Comprende?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 2:26:33

Elie

quote:

Comprende?

no comprende

hahahah c'mon we're just kiddin i asked u coz im interested in the DVD not to make u upset .
and im not lying im on earth why ur not believing me :

anyway peace man I apologize , the link explains everything so thank you for bringing this up
sorry for ruining ur thread

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 2:46:07

Exitao

RE: Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi (in reply to Elie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DarkElieDraven

quote:

Comprende?

no comprende

hahahah c'mon we're just kiddin i asked u coz im interested in the DVD not to make u upset .
and im not lying im on earth why ur not believing me :

anyway peace man I apologize , the link explains everything so thank you for bringing this up
sorry for ruining ur thread

Yes, I was joking as well. Perhaps there's something wrong with my delivery (or the joke), but I thought the humour of complaining that I didn't have the internet in my part of the world, while actually communicating via the internet was kind of funny.

I'm actually curious about the product, but my Scottish-German genes make me cringe at the price, especially when I've never heard of the artist/instructor.

So, the question of "who exactly is Mehdi Mohagheghi when he's at home anyway?" was somewhat in earnest.

Is he someone I should have known about? Did you know who he was before you purchased? Was he recommended? How do you like him? (It seems clear you think the material is good.)

No row or cotton-picking intended. Just earnest questions.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 3:44:09

sean65

quote:

hahahah c'mon we're just kiddin

Don't tell me that. I've just spent 25 hours typing out a list of cities around the world where they deliver post.

OK OK guys.... Crossed lines. No problem!

quote:

So, the question of "who exactly is Mehdi Mohagheghi when he's at home anyway?"

Good question? No idea. Sounds like he should be the author of a book on Indian Cuisine, but no, he's produced a DVD on Bulerias. lol

I just saw it and thought why not. I've bought a fair few books and DVD's and none of them have justified a positive review that's why I thought I'd share this unknown nugget of info' with the Foro.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 4:49:20

Elie

quote:

that's why I thought I'd share this unknown nugget of info' with the Foro.

Thank you

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 5:18:55

Exitao

quote:

Good question? No idea. Sounds like he should be the author of a book on Indian Cuisine, but no, he's produced a DVD on Bulerias. lol

Actually, he's from Tehran. I Googled him and found his home page:
http://www.mehdimohagheghi.com/

I actually watched one of his videos before my last post and wasn't terribly impressed. I don't mean that in a bad way, just compared to the people who do Encuentros DVDs...

I've never really found Oscar Herrero or Juan Martin, or Graf-Martinez to be terribly impressive either. I mean, with PDL as our gold standard, it's hard to be impressed, isn't it?

But just because they ain't PDL doesn't mean they can't be good instructors, doesn't it?
(Did I use too many negatives there? )

So yeah, if you found his instruction clear, the video clear and demonstrative and he did seem to demonstrate sufficient skill that a newbie like me would find it useful to emulate his technique... if you were to answer yes to all those question it would be a good sort of endorsement, I think.

Thanks!

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 9:13:02

[Deleted] (in reply to sean65

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 9:36:31

minordjango

its pretty good i think,
no idea how much it cost as i have paided for it on mastercard, and choose not to look at it.

hehe

solea por bulerias an soleas, all good and recommended
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 20:34:17

sean65

quote:

solea por bulerias an soleas, all good and recommended

Thanks man, I didn't realise he had a set of three. I'll grab a copy of the Solea as well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 23:05:14

mark indigo

RE: Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi (in reply to Exitao

quote:

wasn't terribly impressed. I don't mean that in a bad way, just compared to the people who do Encuentros DVDs...

compared to the players on Encuentro's (plus of course people like Paco, Vicente, Sanlucar, Canizares etc.) most everyone else is inferior, because they are the TOP players!

but not everyone can actually play the compositions of the top players, and there is a need for beginner/intermediate material and teaching

quote:

I've never really found Oscar Herrero or Juan Martin, or Graf-Martinez to be terribly impressive either.

the other two i agree totally, not good examples to follow, but i don't understand why people are so down on Oscar Herrero, he is way above the other two you mention as a player and teacher. As a player he has won the Bordón Minero prize at La Union and the National Flamenco Guitar Prize in Jerez, and toured as second guitarist with Enrique De Melchor and Serranito, and has obviously thought a lot about how to break stuff down and teach it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 1:10:31

Doitsujin

quote:

Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi

samples please. Otherwise not worth to talk about. Anyway,.. Im not interested but .. would at least be interesting to see if he sells his own stuff or warmed up stuff of others like the taranta of chicuelo..

quote:

the other two i agree totally, not good examples to follow, but i don't understand why people are so down on Oscar Herrero, he is way above the other two you mention as a player and teacher.

The problem of oscar herrero is that his appearance is boring as hell. He looks like a broker with guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 3:12:37

mark indigo

RE: Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

The problem of oscar herrero is that his appearance is boring as hell. He looks like a broker with guitar.

maybe he should have leather trousers and tomatito wig, then would you like his teaching dvd's?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 5:20:06

Pablito

RE: Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi (in reply to mark indigo

I agree Oscar Herrero is awesome, and no matter what he plays it's done beautifully.

I'm learning this right now off of youtube, I'm on the third section. Before I started learning it I thought it looked easy. It's not that hard but the difference between me and him is he does it so perfectly!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 5:30:31

Doitsujin

quote:

maybe he should have leather trousers and tomatito wig, then would you like his teaching dvd's?

I thought about that, too. But I came to the conclusion that his compositions are boring too.... Its soft fiddling perfect for a gig in a home for old people. The video above is a perfect example. Good for beginners, but he can´t rule big gigs with that. Its all good what he does but theres missing the awesome part.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 6:23:30

Elie

quote:

the other two i agree totally, not good examples to follow

mmmmm but I read many articles mentioning that Martín has been voted one of the top three guitarists in the world in the magazine, Guitar Player.
examples :
~1~~2~
so why shouldn't we follow him

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 7:00:46

Elie

quote:

I'm learning this right now off of youtube, I'm on the third section. Before I started learning it I thought it looked easy. It's not that hard but the difference between me and him is he does it so perfectly!

are the tabs available somewhere or you're working it by ear and from the video?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 7:06:22

cigany

Bulerias DVD sample at:

https://www.flamenco-world.com/videos_productos/mehdi2.htm
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 8:15:59

XXX

He has good tremolo, also good compositions for that. There is an IMPOSSIBLE to play tremolo study on his page. But for the main palos he maybe is a bit too shy?

thx for the Mehdi DVD sample. I think its a great idea, and he obviously knows how to play. And for Juan Martin and Graf Martinez, i dont think they are bad teachers. The stuff that Graf for example teaches, is classic 70s stuff. Bulerias and Solea i mean. So nothing you can make wrong with it.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 8:16:15

Pablito

No tabs that I know of though I haven't really checked. Copying what I see and hear on youtube is my main way of learning. I'm making a lot of progress which means I went from horrible to "getting there"

When can one call himself a flamenco guitarist? I feel uncomfortable calling myself that. Anyone else?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 8:46:03

Pablito

quote:

Its soft fiddling perfect for a gig in a home for old people.

This too??

I mean not everyone can be PDL ya know?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 12:32:09

orsonw

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 14 2013 11:45:17
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 13:34:03

minordjango

i think the matereal Mehdi uses is really fine , everything played with metronome, played clearly , good camera angle, .

and he gradually builds up that is small excerpts then they are gradually built up to cool falsetas , many classic falsetas.

the bulerias is a must , the solea book also cool , sole por bulerias is ok, but manuel granados books have better stuff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 15:43:55

Doitsujin

RE: Bulerias DVD by Mehdi Mohaghegdi (in reply to orsonw

quote:

This too??

Yep, exactly as orsonw wrote. Look how he sits there in the beginning of the video. Looks like he wait for somebody reading some "cool" stories from the bible. He really reminds me a little on Flanders... trudelidodelidooouu :.D hehe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 17:40:43

Exitao

Material is in tab and/or notation?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 18:45:06

minordjango

flanders ! haha yeah he is a bit , never see his face either i dont think ? but all good.

yeah tab and regular notation
falsetas from tomatitio, PDL, lots of Paco pena and other nunez , and original stuff, and good compass stuff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 19:13:31

mark indigo

quote:

his [oscar herrero] compositions are boring too

i agree, he is not a player on the level with paco, vicente, encuentro guys etc., but imo he is far above the other people offering beginner/intermediate material

quote:

so why shouldn't we follow him
[juan martin]

use search facility to read the archive juan martin flame wars....

quote:

Juan Martin and Graf Martinez, i dont think they are bad teachers.

graf martinez hands look stiff to me, i don't think that's a good example to follow.

juan martin's playing is really ropey, not just live, but even on cd's he releases with mistakes, again, not a good example to follow.

imo oscar herrero is a better example for imitation of technique and general playing for a beginner/intermediate player
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2010 0:08:32
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post