Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Wanted: Second hand Yamaha or similar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Nick H

Wanted: Second hand Yamaha or similar 

Ola. My first post! Looking to buy second hand Yamaha CG171SF.
Anyone out there got one they learned on and since moved on to handbuilt?
I'm up and down A30/M5 corridor between South-West and Midlands UK.
Currently banging out compas for dancers on a £100 ebayed Freshman with pick-up!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 3:06:13

slowhands

RE: Wanted: Second hand Yamaha or si... (in reply to Nick H

As if by magic, one just fetched up on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-Flamenco-Guitar-Model-CG171SF-/290439424919?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item439f89eb97#ht_500wt_1128

I think it's even in your M5 corridor as well. The same guy had an Aparicio for sale but that disappeared.

Cheers!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 4:36:51

Pablito

I have one of these. Best guitar for its price ever!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 5:22:02

Nick H

Drat - missed the ebay one (thanks for the tip though). Gutted. I hate ebay. Had arranged to drive up and see it tomorrow night, but someone pressed the 'buy it now' button. My own fault i guess.

Annoying thing is i was in Granada a few weeks ago (stranded by Icelandic volcano in Morocco and making way back overland, so thought i might as well catch some flamenco on Sacromonte on the way home - what a life!) and if i'd have thought i could have maybe bought a passable Spanish job fairly cheap, but the reviews for the Yamaha are so good i reckoned i'd hold out for one (and anyway, i had other things on my mind, like where my next meal was coming from, and how out of pocket i was going to be, and whether i could sue Ryanair).
Ebay one would have been perfect! -drat!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 13:01:01

slowhands

Shame you missed it - decent deals on flamenco guitars don't come up too often. I should know, I've spent about 12 months trying to find an upgrade to my Rodriguez. You should have hit the Buy it Now yourself as you'd have got your money back (or more) when you came to sell it on. On the brighter side, maybe you'll find one in better condition than this one! Good luck Nick!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 0:03:52

GuitarVlog

Prices are different for you folks in Europe. The Spanish guitars are able to compete with Yamaha there. Some are better for slightly more Euros.

Here in the US, it's no contest.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 6:18:42

stratos13

RE: Wanted: Second hand Yamaha or si... (in reply to Pablito

Not really.
When i travelled to spain i played in a local shop a guitar of 250 euros, that was FAR FAR better than the yamaha.
Seriously now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 10:22:04

HolyEvil

seriously... if I had known about the Katoh that is available here in Sydney before I bought my 171SF from Singapore, I would have bought the Katoh.
the shop selling the Katoh told me the cheapest was the Loriente's flamenco, which was like 2 grand or so. WAY overpriced.

Check out katoh's flamenco guitar.. but play every one they have in there, I've seen 2 guitars with 2 different bridges and rosettes... but the same model.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 15:20:09

Nick H

Got a Yamaha eventually (some years ago now)! Been to Spain a couple of times since and seen (and played) some nice luthier-built guitars in Sevilla, Granada and La Herradura. One day i'll buy one (maybe) but quite happy with the Yam. It's funny, whenever i get the Yam out (in a bar or a class) people are all over it and it always gets passed round and played. Got a couple of small dints already, but i think that adds to its character!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 12:09:18

etta

I have a 171SF; sound ported it, fitted a bone saddle, and it is embarrassing. When other really fine guitars come out, this little Yamaha blows folks away.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 19:41:46

Nick H

Yes i fitted a bone saddle and shaved half a mill off the action. Also it was one of the last solid (cypress) back and sided ones (i think the new ones are laminated).
I played a 1400E guitar (cedar top blanca) in a lovely luthier shop in Seville that i liked and was a little tempted, but didn't fancy carrying two guitars home! A friend bought an 800E guitar in Granada while i was there that was truly beautiful. Another 'student' i met (more of a tourist really) had been sold an £800 guitar in Granada that was a shocker - i think it had been in the sun in the window for 3 years - it had a hideously warped neck. I played a couple of 3000E+ guitars while i was there that students had bought and they were clearly a better guitar, but not massively so.
How many hours does a guitar take to make? If it's 80 then i suppose £800 is cheap. I suppose the downside of the Yam is that it's cheap price may be the result of underpaid labour in a distant country? I have a friend who is a luthier and one day i may buy one of his (if only to save the taxman getting it!).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 20:08:55

Escribano

Sorry to be a pain but I have to approve each post in Classifieds to prevent spamming. Could you take this discussion into lutherie or product reviews?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 20:21:03
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote