Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Too much Moisture / Humidity?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

chapman_g

Too much Moisture / Humidity? 

So whenever I go home to Trinidad the most southerly Island in the Caribbean just off the coast of Venezuela with its tropical rain forest climate with temperature between 65 to 95 degrees and high humidity. I find my guitar loses some of its punch and percussive edge. Sometimes I am "why is this thing sounding dead and muddy" compared to what I know it could sound like. It does get better after some days, but I am convinced it does not quite get to the same level as when I return to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Is it too wet or the humidity too high down there, and what if anything can I do for the guitar to combat those conditions?

Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 9:53:49

Ron.M

RE: Too much Moisture / Humidity? (in reply to chapman_g

quote:

whenever I go home to Trinidad

You lucky dog!

Trinidad was the first place I ever went to in South America.

Great people, great climate...memorable times!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 11:00:33

Ricardo

dry guitars are thirsty and drink up as much moisture as they can in a humid environment. The more scary thing is returning home, after your guitar had swelled up it will expel the moisture, and if it happens too fast the wood has no choice but to come unglued or crack. Upon return home I would keep your guitar humidified and let it dry out very gradually.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 13:44:53

chapman_g

RE: Too much Moisture / Humidity? (in reply to Ricardo

When I return from Trinidad the guitar that made the journey stays in the case in the humidified room for about 2 weeks getting used to the new environment with a little peek out a couple times. So there is nothing I can do to stop it from drinking too much water while I'm there? Oh well I drink a lot of water, and coconut water when I am there too.

Ron how long ago did you visit? Where did you stay or what part of the Island were you? Did you get to Tobago that is where all the really nice beaches are?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 20:19:10

keith

chapman, there is a product called eva-dry which is a portable dehumidifier that works by using glass beads that absorb moisture. once the beads are saturated you plug in the eva-dry into an electrical outlet and the beads dry and you are back in business. the small eva-dry will fit into many compartments that are in guitar cases. they fit nicely into skb cases--you can remove the lid of the compartment and slip it in; conversely in the wintertime you can place a humidifying device there. the small eva-dry units cost about $25 for the "larger unit" and about $15 for the small unit. i have used them for years. i have found they will reduce humidity within the case by 10 points (e.g., from 60% 50%).

i have 2--one is in the guitar case the other is plugged in to disperse the humidity it picked up.

eva-dry's are sold on-line--check out amazon.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 4:47:09

Ron.M

quote:

Ron how long ago did you visit? Where did you stay or what part of the Island were you? Did you get to Tobago that is where all the really nice beaches are?

It was in the mid 70's and I was working, so no spare time for beaches unfortunately.
I was working in Chagaramus for about a week, but one of the team who was Trinidadian showed us around some places and invited us to a party at his house at the weekend. Nice weather and good vibe about the place!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 5:28:19

chapman_g

RE: Too much Moisture / Humidity? (in reply to keith

quote:

dehumidifier

Dehumidifier? Dah! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you Keith. Now I will do a search to remind me what the ideal humidity should be and try to keep the guitar close to that when I go. Thanks.

Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 8:36:21

keith

michael--glad to be of assistance. you were probably distracted by all of the women in their bikinis frolicking on the beach to think about a dehumidifier. i know i would be that distracted.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 10:00:01

a_arnold

RE: Too much Moisture / Humidity? (in reply to keith

quote:

Dehumidifier? Dah!

So what is the ideal humidity for a guitar? I live in very humid Florida and have a built-in dehumidifier in the house, so it averages about 50% in the house. Guitar sounds great, but is that too dry?

I suppose a museum curator would be the right person to ask. They probably have humidity controlled storage. I know they did at the Smithsonian, but I don't remember what they kept it at.

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2010 23:14:08

jshelton5040

RE: Too much Moisture / Humidity? (in reply to a_arnold

quote:

ORIGINAL: a_arnold

So what is the ideal humidity for a guitar?

We keep our shop at 45%, I think that is about normal.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2010 0:12:54

HemeolaMan

a dehumidifier would work, or get a burlap/breatheable material bag and fill it with rice.

then put the rice filled bag in the soundhole and it will soak up excess moisture. when its not working well anymore, throw it in the oven for a while to dry it out, then toss it back in the guitar when it cools.

Boom. done. cheap. almost free.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2010 6:01:16

estebanana

RE: Too much Moisture / Humidity? (in reply to HemeolaMan

quote:

hen put the rice filled bag in the soundhole and it will soak up excess moisture. when its not working well anymore, throw it in the oven for a while to dry it out, then toss it back in the guitar when it cools.

You have to be careful not to make arroz con pollo in your guitar.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2010 7:01:12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote