Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenca negra?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gj Michelob

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to GuitarVlog

..... and I can’t imagine the length and complexity of this thread, had there been a significant distinction between a blanca and a negra.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 5:23:14

Ron.M

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to estebanana

You lucky dog, estebanana,

I always had a bit of the hots for some the older women when I was in my 20's, but unfortunately they always seemed to prefer the tall, fairly muscular lads, which I wasn't.

quote:

Anyway...one of them met Dali in Cadaques......

I can stop anytime.

Do continue at your own discretion...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 6:06:05

estebanana

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to gj Michelob

Ron,

I think I will practice more discretion. My doughnut spinning seems to have upset some of the sensitive youngsters. I don't want to be known for contributing a bad influence on the august and morally upright luthiers of this site.

I will think of a format which fits my creative writing and let you know where it will happen. Lord knows I don't want clog the foro with my chatter while the salient, scintillating and rarely discussed topic of blanca vs. negra is being discoursed upon. If it ever strikes me I might turn my irreverent thoughts to the subject and write a doughnut counter full of things to upset the lutherial gentry.

A thousand apologies,

E

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 13:06:02

GuitarVlog

That's okay estebanana. It was interesting to read and I like doughnuts.

I think I've gotten what I needed from my inquiry.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 15:09:21

a_arnold

quote:

I can’t imagine the length and complexity of this thread, had there been a significant distinction between a blanca and a negra

Just to throw another cat amongst these pigeons: Don't forget that Torres, just to prove his point that the back and sides wood is irrelevant to guitar tone, built a classical guitar with back and sides of papier mache, then challenged guitar experts to tell the difference.

I think that guitar still exists in a (French?) museum somewhere, although the back and sides have begun to decay.

Having said that, I own a few guitars, and happen to have blancas and negras by the same maker in two cases (or four cases, depending on your definition of "case"). One pair was made in 1967/1971 (Manuel de la Chica) and the other in 2006/2010 (Salvador Castillo). Each pair has the same string length. All have pegs. With the same strings on all, in an admittedly subjective pairwise comparison , I do hear more sustain, mellowness, tonal variety, and a more classical sound in the negras -- the negras are also noticeably heavier than their blanca counterparts. I suspect (without proof) that it is the mass of the B/S wood rather than the species that makes the difference. But random variations in the wood or the construction are probably an equally important factor.

In the end, there is no way I can quantify something like mellowness for another listener. So, even though I have the best possible basis for comparison, I can contribute nothing to this thread -- except to point out that I can contribute nothing, mainly because the subjectivity of such judgment is a serious obstacle to meaningful discussion.

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 18:51:09

gj Michelob

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to a_arnold

quote:

I can contribute nothing to this thread -- except to point out that I can contribute nothing, mainly because the subjectivity of such judgment is a serious obstacle to meaningful discussion.

Disarmingly wise, Arnold. However, if followed slavishly your recommendation would empty the foro.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 20:16:25

Exitao

So... um... has a short answer been devised yet?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 23:25:03

estebanana

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to Exitao

Diogenes will tell you.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 0:14:09

gj Michelob

quote:

So... um... has a short answer been devised yet?

Viva la difference

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 5:20:58

HolyEvil

Hey there guys, i just kept reading and I do understand when you builders say we can build classical with cypress or a dry negra etc
But that would be due to build.

If all thing being equal. Imagine 2 identical tops, neck, bridge, thickness, grain etc etc etc.
Only the sides are different in material, one a cypress the other rosewood.
there MUST be a difference in tone yeah?

on another note, so the guitar actually started more like a flamenco and the action/bridge/depth actually grew to accomodate the classical sound?

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 15:43:29

Exitao

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Diogenes will tell you.

So one day, this Stoic/Cynic philosopher was walking down the street with a lit lantern in the middle of the day and someone asks what he's doing.

This guy, probably the source of inspiration for Mad Magazine's snappy answers to stupid questions replies "looking for an honest man."

Now anyone who knows about the school of Cynicism knows that the response was pure sarcasm.

Yet, this minor event is remembered over 2,000 years later for something completely different than what it was.

I bet Diogenes could point out the general cause behind such a misremberance pretty quickly... and come up with some pithy thoughts about it.

quote:

If all thing being equal. Imagine 2 identical tops, neck, bridge, thickness, grain etc etc etc.
Only the sides are different in material, one a cypress the other rosewood.
there MUST be a difference in tone yeah?

Yeah, so same plans, same luthier, same everything except one's a blanca and the other morenita.

What could we expect?

Or should I just be buying whichever sounds nicest and looks prettiest?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 0:38:03

estebanana

quote:

*points to nose*

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 0:47:26

Exitao

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

quote:

*points to nose*

Forgive me, but I keep wanting to make fun of your nose now. :-(

So when people say that they can hear a difference between their blanca or negra, is it more significantly/consistently different from two guitars of the same materials?
As a luthier could you reliably tell the difference between blanca & negra by sound alone?

Or is buying a negra when I already have a blanca nothing more than a reliable way to ensure that my second guitar will be distinct enough to provide variety?

Maybe we need some blind audio challenges.
Can we get some people to record the same falsetas on a blanca & negra and post them in the audio section as a poll?
Which is the negra a) or b)?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 1:15:20

estebanana

Diogenes was a sarcastic standup comedian, he just missed living in the time of TV and Jerry Seinfeld. It's said he roamed around the city with the lamp all the time looking for an honest man. He probably did it once in the market place for 15 minutes and you know how the ancient world was, what with no TV or cell phones, people had to relate the days events to one another for entertainment. They probably talked that into a much bigger thing.

Imagine that, they had to be inventive and self entertaining. Sofa manufacturers must have had it really hard back in the ancient world.

Andy Warhol would be amused and perhaps he was that Diogenes 15 minutes has lasted for 2000 years.

Diogenes had that bowl too. When someone asked him about it he shrugged and dipped his hands in the stream to drink. Then he broke the bowl because it was not essential to drinking. Or something like that. Or was that the Bodhidharma? I confuse them.

I try to think of something deeply important to say about the difference between a blanca and a negra, but I can only dredge up names and places like Victor Borge or Steve Martin or The Library at Alexandria or the Mitchell Brothers theatre and how one of the Mitchell brothers killed the other one like Cain killed Abel. None of this is guitaristic in the least and yet I can't shake it. I'm trying to find some biblical parallel or parable to explain the difference, and while my mind searches through the most likely books of the old testament where blancas and nergas are spoken of; Songs of Solomon, any passage about Kind David and his lion gut strung harp, any passages about scantily clad dancing girls. Certainly there must have been flamenco in Sodom and Gomorrah? Right? I get nothing.

It must not be that important, I can't find a biblical reference to it, Diogenes never did any of his proto performance art about it and all I get is a supreme hunger for doughnuts.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 1:15:54

estebanana

quote:

Maybe we need some blind audio challenges.
Can we get some people to record the same falsetas on a blanca & negra and post them in the audio section as a poll?
Which is the negra a) or b)?

Exitao, When you speak to me of blind audio challenges all I can offer you is the wisdom in the form of that most venerable of all zen koans:

What is the sound of one dog humping?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 1:44:09

Andy Culpepper

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to a_arnold

quote:

Just to throw another cat amongst these pigeons: Don't forget that Torres, just to prove his point that the back and sides wood is irrelevant to guitar tone, built a classical guitar with back and sides of papier mache, then challenged guitar experts to tell the difference.

That's completely untrue. Brune believes, and I agree with him, that Torres was just trying to ascertain exactly what role the back and sides do play in tone production. Although cypress was considered to be a back and side wood of lower quality to be used on cheap folk music instruments, Torres used it on many of his finest instruments. Don't forget Torres was an incessant experimenter constantly trying new things in order to better his craft.
In fact the back (one half of the air pump that is a guitar) plays a huge role in tone production, and having an active back was one of the main factors in the guitar emerging as superior to it's predecessor, the lute, for concert hall performance. Think about the extremely stiff, rounded back of a lute. It's one of the reasons that the lute just doesn't have the power.

The more I build, the more I realize how much the back affects the sound of a guitar. Canadian cypress (actually it's a cedar) has a noticeably different tap tone than Spanish cypress, or Monterey cypress, and each contributes a different sound to the finished guitar. And of course rosewood is completely different from either (it's way heavier).
I've had the experience of starting out with a stiff cypress back, and playing the guitar "in the white". It just wasn't giving me that characteristic "honk" or "bark" of a blanca. So I just started sanding the back plate, and a little on the braces too...believe it or not the sound just got better and better! I mean really remarkably so. And more flamenco.

Last but not least, don't forget one of the primary laws of physics: a more massive object will take longer to get moving, but will also keep moving longer and be harder to stop. This is very important in the difference between rosewood and cypress. Want a guitar with quicker attack, with lots of dryness and little sustain? You're going to want cypress because it makes a much lighter guitar. Rosewood, just the opposite. Heavy guitar, slower attack, lots of sustain.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2010 18:27:50

estebanana

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

In fact the back (one half of the air pump that is a guitar) plays a huge role in tone production, and having an active back was one of the main factors in the guitar emerging as superior to it's predecessor, the lute, for concert hall performance. Think about the extremely stiff, rounded back of a lute. It's one of the reasons that the lute just doesn't have the power.

The reason the lute does not have the same kind of power as a guitar is not because of the back, my dear. It's because the lute is a totally different animal. There are guitar designs today with non active backs, like Smallman's, that are powerful. Lutes are not as wimpy as you might think either, it depends on the kind of overtone support for the fundamental note a particular lute is capable of generating.

Backs go both ways in guitars: stiff and reflective and flexible and reactive. Flamenco guitars seem to work better with flexible reactive backs, traditionally speaking. But a less flexible back can be a component on a guitar that generates a lot of power. Personally I don't follow that school of thought in my own building, but go play a Smallman with a thick heavy back and like the sound or not, you can feel power.

Lutes have a different kind of power and so do ouds. They have less tension, but often a lute or oud has a surprising amount of carrying power. Lutes and ouds also have a totally different kind of envelope of sound than guitars. They call it "bloom" and it's not a quality that can be compared to a guitar because it is a different quality of projection.

You can't impune the lute to elevate the guitar, just like you can't dismiss the gamba and elevate the cello. You have to respect and get with history of sound, and it's not as simple as one preceeds the other in neat orderly fashion. Some of the best qualities inherent in lutes were left behind as the baroque guitar developed and on down the line. To gain more power in the way we typically think about power in a string instrument some desirable color or tone in the older style instruments was sacrificed.

The Vihuela is a flat backed instrument that can be made with a back that is rigid or sensitive to vibration. The shell like back found on the Chambure Vihuela or the thinner flexible back that is speculated in earlier vihuelas, does not seem to affect the basic power range of the instrument. Or move it too far away from its structural cousin the six course lute.

When you say the density differences between rosewood and cypress create a basic format for sound; faster to move less dense/slower to move more dense, you're on to something. But try not to get that part of it tangled up in lutes as the precursors to the guitars, it's a separate issue. Lutes work and sound that way because of the top structure and respectively so do guitars. Lutes were around for about 400 years in their various permutations and they were made specifically to make a certain desirable envelope of sound. People understood how to make loud and powerful then, but to apply that to a lute would have negated the properties which make them alluring and the music written for them sound good..

There are a lot of other components to the discussion of the lute and why it wandered off into the sunset and not all of it is because it is less powerful in the way a modern guitar is powerful. It's more about how the keyboard families became predominant.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2010 1:53:43

Andy Culpepper

Maybe I should rephrase before you and Sting come to beat me down for making bigoted remarks against the lute. What I should have said that the way the guitar is constructed, with the type of back it has, has a fair amount to do with the rich and varied tonal colors of the guitar (along with having the bridge in the middle of the lower bout and having fan bracing). Sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote that and did not mean to slander the lute in any way. Some of my best friends are lutes.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2010 11:33:44

estebanana

Dude I was not trying to do a beat down, I was trying to offer perspective on the lute and the guitar as they developed. There are people who have not parsed out he differences between lutes and guitars. They existed concurrently, and we would not want the lute to go down as an inferior instrument which served as a step to the development of modern guitars.

You could get a lot of milage out of comparing guitars from different periods with modern guitars and making assessments and observations towards the function of the back.

You can also listen to composers like the two Gautier's of the French Baroque and Girolamo Kapsberger and think about how their music sounds in the context of modern flamenco toque. And why that music sounds better on the baroque lute and theorbo instead of the guitar. None of the three have anything to do with flamenco, but Kapsberger was way out there for his time and he has arpeggios and repeating figures which are quite hypnotic. The Gautier's were exponents of the style brise' or the broken style, where they abstracted the melodies to move within the harmonic movement. It gets cerebral and bubble headed, but it's fascinating that it really only sounds good on the reedy quacky sounds a baroque lute makes.

And to further mess things up, baroque lutes could be blancas or negras!

If I had beat you down you would have known it, I was just being pesky. Despite my seemingly forceful manner I'm actually a very nice person in person.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2010 18:10:05

a_arnold

quote:

quote:

That's completely untrue. Brune believes, and I agree with him, that Torres was just trying to ascertain exactly what role the back and sides do play in tone production.

Completely untrue?

Sorry, deteresa1: You are wrong there. What I said was not untrue. Torres DID build such a guitar. I am citing Romanillos -- the unquestioned prime authority on Torres.

Here is the Wikipedia entry that cites Romanillos:

"To prove that it was the top, and not the back and sides of the guitar that gave the instrument its sound, in 1862 he built a guitar with back and sides of papier-mâché. (This guitar resides in the Museu de la Musica in Barcelona, unfortunately it is no longer playable)."

Do you really feel so comfortable dismissing Romanillos and Torres? Seems . . . I don't know . . . a bit overconfident?

I'm not saying Torres and Romanillos are right and you and Brune are wrong -- in fact, I tend to agree that the back wood does matter -- mainly because of its mass and reflectivity, but I think there are 2 legitimate sides to the argument and I'm willing to respect Torres and Romanillos on a topic with so many subjective variables to resolve.

There are 65 surviving Torres guitars that Romanillos has documented. Of these 25 are cypress, 19 Rosewood, and the rest various other woods, including maple and, yes, papier mache. There is no evidence anywhere as to which (if any) material Torres thought was superior. In Torres' day the choice of B/S woods may have been influenced as much (or more) by economic or aesthetic considerations as by sound.

Or maybe Torres was less mired in certainty.

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2010 20:22:34

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 30 2010 22:31:45
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2010 21:27:55

Andy Culpepper

quote:

If I had beat you down you would have known it, I was just being pesky. Despite my seemingly forceful manner I'm actually a very nice person in person.

I know you weren't trying to beat me down Stephen. I should have put a smiley in there
It's so hard to have a decent human interaction online. Pesk on my brotha

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 9:16:01

cathulu

I think what would be interesting is to put down in order of importance attributes of a guitar to sound.

I would hazard the back and sides of the guitar are third order effects or worst.

In physics and math third order and greater are often ignored - they don't make that much of a difference.

y = x + 1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + ....

if x = 5, then the first order = 5

the second order is 0.2

the third order is 0.04 and the fourth order is so tiny why bother. So you can just about ignore the third order and anything beyond for numbers bigger than 5.

Yes it matters what number you pick - like don't pick 0.1, but I am giving an example.

So luthiers, what is important in order? Is there a consensus we can reach? That would help regarding the blanca / negra questions. Lets rank them, what is first order, what is second order, and what is third order. There may be more than a few attributes in each order column...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 11:19:27

jshelton5040

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to cathulu

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathulu

I think what would be interesting is to put down in order of importance attributes of a guitar to sound.

Number one is top wood. There isn't any second or third.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 13:46:04

Andy Culpepper

I have some definite opinions on this even from my limited building experience, but I'm going to defer to more experienced luthiers on this.
One thing I will say is: it's amazing what goes through the heads of people who haven't built guitars. A mathematical equation to figure out the importance of various aspects of a guitar? . Any luthier will agree that a guitar has to be conceived as a whole. Of course top wood is #1. But the design and woods used will determine the rest.

jshelton, weren't you the one earlier who was disparaging Canadian Cypress as back/side wood because of its "junk" taptone?? Well I guess you can use it anyway now that it won't matter

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 14:30:54

estebanana

quote:

1. How far away from your taller is the nearest good coffee shop.
2. Do they have cafe' con leche or regular American coffee.
3. The wood used for your top.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 17:07:38

cathulu

Hmmm, I don't recall I developed a mathematical equation to figure out the importance of various aspects of the guitar. I was trying to show the principal of first order / second order etc with a simple example. Einstein didn't have to build anything to figure out general relativity.

OK, I will take a stab with some suggestions - this assumes a guitar is built that is playable.

First Order Effect
- Size and shape of the box (a guitar is just a wood box with strings under tension to vibrate it) Big box = bass, small box = tenor guitar, etc.

Second Order Effect
- Top thickness and tone
- material properties of top (maybe I am saying the same thing here as top thickness and tone)
- string tension
- String action to give the guitar buzz for Flamenco

Third Order Effect
- Top bracing pattern (assuming it is up to the job)
- sides and back wood species
- string break angle
- Nut and Bridge material
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 19:06:28

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 31 2010 19:40:23
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 19:32:44

estebanana

quote:

First Order Effect
- Size and shape of the box (a guitar is just a wood box with strings under tension to vibrate it) Big box = bass, small box = tenor guitar, etc.

Not exactly------

Second Order Effect
- Top thickness and tone
- material properties of top (maybe I am saying the same thing here as top thickness and tone)
- string tension
- String action to give the guitar buzz for Flamenco

Third Order Effect
- Top bracing pattern (assuming it is up to the job)
- sides and back wood species
- string break angle
- Nut and Bridge material

The guitar is not a sum of effects. It is groups of sub systems working in concert to create a meta system. Conceptualize it as a system with branches of sub systems. Figure out what the systems are and how they interact with each other.

The Primary System is the top. It is enabled, activated, and managed by groups of other systems.

Hope that helps.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 19:38:25

cathulu

Well, I think it was worth taking a stab at it. Yes it is a system, you cannot have a top by itself. None of these things can be in isolation. But I think it is a worthwhile exercise looking at things from different angles. Even if it may prove to be wrong, it can help show other things.

OK, my point was to try and get to the bottom of what is the order of importance the side and back has on the sound of the guitar - negra vs blanca. That might help with the discussion on the difference.

So far we have got nowhere it would seem, except for the top is important and nothing else matters except where we go for coffee. Very useful stuff that is. At least we are not talking about koolaid...

So if the top is the b-all then that says you put the top as a first order effect. One small step.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 20:32:56
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post