Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenca negra?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to RobJe

quote:

The big change came when Paco de Lucia started to play his famous Conde negra. Then everyone wanted one.

I am sure these old guys were so googoo gaga over paco's playing they too needed negras:

Add to that guys like Escudero and probably many others we don't know about.

I feel the reason for the negra is the nice looking wood first of all, and second the sound being a little sweeter and more sustaining, less direct. All things equal same maker, the blanca is more the rhythm guitar, the negra more the lead guitar. If that makes sense.

But nowadays with live sound and eq you can dry up a negra or sweeten and sustain a blanca all you want. So it really comes back to look and feel. Blancas are lighter weight almost always.

Here is a good one. Same show, same mics same guy, different guitars. Why??

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 6:59:44

aarongreen

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

You stated what are facts and then drew your own conclusions. I could argue other outcomes.

Ok so first it was the official story, then it was interesting but not factual, now it's facts with conclusions that you could argue. Nothing I stated as facts are anything but that. I put in whether or not I agreed with Segovia's decision regarding Santos, which I do, and whether or not I believe that Segovia felt it necessary to align himself with a German maker to increase his legitimacy, which I don't. Your premise does not take into account that the majority of his audience, at that time, most likely could not care less what guitar he played. He was creating an audience out of the general music appreciating crowd. The guitar centric audience for the most part came later.

One last thing about this label issue. Segovia obviously felt great appreciation and gratitude to Ramirez. I think that was the reason he refused Santos' request. However you will also note that the label Santos stuck in there was not removed so it stands to reason Segovia might have felt it was a good compromise. If he was upset about it, he got over it.

Ok back to topic. I like negras. I like blancas. I wouldn't want to have to give up building one for the other.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 8:31:34

GuitarVlog

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo
Here is a good one. Same show, same mics same guy, different guitars. Why??

That switch was definitely intriguing. Hard to hear if there were any differences between the blanca or the negra because of the audio quality.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 9:22:08

estebanana

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to aarongreen

quote:

Your premise does not take into account that the majority of his audience, at that time, most likely could not care less what guitar he played. He was creating an audience out of the general music appreciating crowd. The guitar centric audience for the most part came later.

If the authorship of the guitar was unimportant why did you use it as one of the three facts you presented, specifically to support the idea that Segovia used the Ramirez until 1937? If the program note stated the instrument was a Ramirez and not say a Ford Model T wagon, then who made the guitar was of great importance to someone.

A fact is a piece of information and it is open to interpretation in a certain context. The idea I'm putting forth is that there are facts or evidence and as time moves on and more narratives are brought to light, the facts can stay the same but the meanings change. These histories are not locked into one narrative which supports the facts in one way.

The evidence that is known in this narrative around Segovia and Santos does not refute what I or others have speculated about Segovia's psychological state or what you can imagine were his conscious or unconscious motivations. When someone says Segovia simply wanted to get the best guitar he could get end of story I can't accept that. Humans are to complex for that and there are always subconscious, political and social motivations behind major life choices. When I hear end of story no more discussion that is when I want to push the esoteric subtexts to see if they have other information, many good historians do this.

And honestly my speculation on Segovia's state of mind is purely constructed to support my bias in favor of Santos. As I constructed it, it opened up other thoughts about how Segovia worked as a musician and how his personal history was guided and calculated by himself. He helped create his own mythology and his own brand of mystique. With that in mind I conjectured here is a man who wants to make a mark on the music world, very little of what he does is not calculated, so what are some social conditions that could shape his choices?

It's really just a game, but the game is aimed at recognizing that other personal narratives existed. The "official" version, in quotes means that it was supplied by a team of people who worked with one set of evidence and the narrative of the main subject. If we at some point obtain a narrative plus more evidence from the other main subject of the story then the story could change.

One of the investigative strategies that the social critic and essayist Foucault used was to look for small anomalies in the narrative as an entry point to compare it with the most generally accepted version. His reasoning was that the most general "official" versions are compromised by human biases. The operation is not to create an alternate version of history that dovetails perfectly with the official version, but to use all means including social conditions, geography, the psychology of the subject and his own biases, etc. to question the canonized version of a history. This is not meant replace the history, it's meant as a diagnostic tool to question the history. It can be used as a crow bar to constantly pry the lid off of histories that want to be sealed down and unquestioned. And it keeps them open and sometimes new information comes to change the canon.

If you have a strong bias run with it, it's what keeps art and music interesting. A balanced rational view makes balanced art and balanced art that is rational is boring.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 11:00:33

Ron.M

Segovia just sucks as a person in relating to others. No point in looking into it or analyzing any further IMO.

I have always disliked the man.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 11:05:11

estebanana

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Segovia just sucks as a person in relating to others. No point in looking into it or analyzing any further IMO.

You realize that because you are person of authority on this foro that I have to change my bias and state a case why Segovia was a wonderful kind man..........\

* hysterical unhealthy laughter*
HA HA HA HA

Picasso was an assh*le to his women and a bully to many of his friends, he was a great painter who's work I like very much. Does he deserve to get trashed for being a jerk? Heck yes he does. Is he still a major figure in painting? Hell yes he is.
Segovia is in the same moral boat. Does he deserve to get judged? I say yes. Was he an important guitarist? Certainly.

---------------
Picasso would have played a blanca.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 11:23:19

buleria74

quote:

I have always disliked the man.

cheers,

Ron

same here .

Flamenco no tiene mas que un escuela, transmitir o no transmitir !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 11:43:53

Escribano

quote:

Picasso would have played a blanca.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 11:47:59

estebanana

This one must be a Conde.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 11:58:23

keith

It is a lovely spring day today and I am by the lake getting some nice sunshine and a cooll breeze. maybe that is inspiring to jump into this. a couple of points were made to which i would like to throw in my 2 cents.

1. as to the negra vs blanca issue. one of the most "blanca" sounding guitars i have heard was produced by manolo sanlucar playing a "negra" ramirez. there may be some tonal/sonic differences between cypress and rosewood but it really goes back to the luthier. anders hit the nail on the head about that with his comments about cypress classicals. i think there are a lot of "yellow classicals out there. pick up a good factory flamenco and many will have a very good classical tone to them.

2. more bad negras vs blancas. i wonder if the negras and blancas were luthier built or factory built. i would hazard a guess that there are far more bad blancas out in the world as that is the color of choice for factory guitars. if the comparison was between luthier built then i do not have enough knowledge to pitch in a cent let alone 2 cents.

3. one thing we all must keep in mind about historical figures, especially those before modern communication systems and after they have gone to the great beyond, is that often what gets to be put out there is the perspective of the teller and often times without the context of the person who is the subject of stories. there may be facts about the situation that led to a quote or a behavior that we were not privy to. the perception of the teller may be skewed in such a way that what is told as fact may well be in a specific context. for example, i may go to my local luthier's shop and knock on his door and ask to talk about guitars and such. let's say my local luthier is busy and does not have time to talk with me and he just screwed up a brace and i was frustrated about traffic and the end result could be me walking away thinking my local luthier was not a nice person. i then tell joe who tells bob.....and by the time the story gets into print it could well be far from the context of the incident; that i barged in and wanted the local luthier's time and he was busy and just made a mistake.

just thought i would add the above.

by the way, i am now about one mile from r.e. brune's shop. if any of you folks ever get to chicago you should definitely check out his place.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 12:25:20

Ricardo

quote:

I think there are some people alive today who had relatives who knew Santos. They could make a personal narrative connection through family stories. Whether I'm on the mark or not the story will be different from that side which knew Santos intimately.

according to Ramirez III (not me!), Santos refused to train any apprentice his "secrets" of guitar building, and whenever the clean up boy got old enough to understand anything about building guitars, he let him go. That sounds pretty snobby to me. Segovia, Santos, many flamencos, and even Ramirez III seem to all be quite proud of themselves. And that is OK imo, part of the whole thing. Like M. de Huelva not ever recording any of his best falsetas cuz he did not want to give his best stuff away.

A friend told me a gitano guitarist in madrid turned his back while playing to my friend, and later tried to slam my friend's hand in the door because he was picking up on some falsetas in the dance class. Ramirez admitted to not talking to segovia for years cuz in a program note, it listed FLETA as the guitar builder instead of the Ramirez he was using. So the stories about Santos and Segovia etc etc probably watered down anyway. I think it was a bunch of egos butting heads.

About hauser, have you played any? Compared to Ramirez or Santos, maybe not fair to say they are a "copy" or a remake of the orginal idea of M. Ramirez. They have a different sound. I think Segovia might have used the better guitar cuz it sounded good, and he did not switch to fleta or ramirez until he felt they had done enough work to make a guitar better.

Regarding some thoughts about Negras NOT being classicals. I was one that stated that earlier with a few exceptions, MOST of the negras I played were LIKE classicals to me. Of course I agree that they should NOT be that way, the idea of a flamenco negra is to be "flamenco" sounding of course.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 14:21:11

aarongreen

quote:

If the authorship of the guitar was unimportant why did you use it as one of the three facts you presented, specifically to support the idea that Segovia used the Ramirez until 1937? If the program note stated the instrument was a Ramirez and not say a Ford Model T wagon, then who made the guitar was of great importance to someone.

Well I would say its usually most important to the guitarmaker. I always appreciate it when someone sticks my name on the program. Next time I'll quiz the audience on their way out the door though and see how many were paying attention:)

As far as not being able to accept that a musician of Segovia's caliber would only want the best guitar he could get, well go and ask some world class musicians and see what they say.

History has been very good to Santos. He was highly regarded in his lifetime and beyond. Same goes for Segovia. Both men were human like the rest of us and had a good side and bad. Actually I haven't heard about Santos' good side. Haven't heard about Stradavari's good side either. By all accounts he was a real bastard, by the standards of our day anyways.

Your assertion that art must be irrational and unbalanced to be good or interesting is fine..... I dont agree with that either but art is what you make of it. Dissecting the actions and motives of others, long gone that none of us have ever met or dealt with, isn't art. It's psychology.

Ok I'm really done this time:)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2010 18:40:00

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: aarongreen
Dissecting the actions and motives of others, long gone that none of us have ever met or dealt with, isn't art. It's psychology.

You make me feel really old Aaron. I met and talked to Segovia. I found him charming and unusually kind to a young aspiring guitarist. We all owe him a debt for making the nylon string guitar so popular. No matter how rude or ill mannered he was to Santos or anyone else he was a great master (the greatest in my opinion) and short of finding out he sodomized kittens I can't think of anything that would diminish his stature in my eyes.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 8:19:27

aarongreen

Well I hope you don't think less of me for having a kitten fetish.

I guess that comment about Santos and Segovia was directed to those engaged in the conversation about him. I never met him either but know a number of people who knew him rather well and have heard stories ranging from Sainthood to the devil himself. A complex man for sure but I think it would it be impossible for someone without a huge ego and single minded purpose to accomplish what he did.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 8:55:06

Alonte

Aaron, I am impressed with your post. Good sense of respect. I have tried your flamencas before and your quality as a person sure reflects your work.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 9:27:02

estebanana

I think Segovia mellowed in his dotage and I'm sure he like lots of old bastards loved cats and disliked people. Ravel had seventeen cats and was often quite the misanthrope.

I saw Segovia in Los Angeles in 1979, I believe, at the Dorothy Chandler auditorium. He was well out of his seventies and could barely trot across the stage with his eighty year old legs. In fact my Aunt Polly who was in her sixties was sitting next to me and she gasped and said I hope he does not fall on his guitar. He stumbled a bit.

To some it must look cruel, heartless and unthinkable for me to mount such an eviscerating attack on the old master. Yet I'm glad to have seen him in the same way I'm glad I saw Walter Cronkite when I was under ten years old, in his prime reporting on the Vietnam war on television. Happy am that I watched the first Apollo moon landing, the Watergate trials and was one of the first in the early 1980's to see one of the two then extant copies of the Armenian film masterpeice Sayat Nova that existed. Clearly I was lucky to have seen him, myself being a man with such low ability for aesthetic discernment, was very lucky indeed.

Yet in some strange way I feel compassion for the old duffer. The same retroactive compassion I feel for Ronald Reagan, Ho Chi Min, Augusto Pinoche and many other despotic individuals who when they reached curmudgeon hood, were transformed by nature into warm teddy bear like edifices.

When Segovia was done playing that evening, my mother, her mother my grandmother and my grand aunt Polly when to a Denny's to get a bite. There was a lot of mothering going on that night. My grandmother said in her Dallas/Fort Worth Texas accent "That old boy can sure play, I wish he would have done a Chet Atkins tune or two." Aunt Polly joined in "Yeah heck, but he was better than Wayne Newton, I have to say I am surprised I liked that so much." All the while I in my youthful good looks was being eyed by a table of rude looking downtown LA punk girls. My mom really did not say too much because she did not want me to later correct her as to which pieces Segovia played and she knew I might. We ate our finely prepared Denny's meals and the conversation veered off towards crocheting and child support checks. As we left the Denny's the punk girls got up at the same time as us and as we passed them between the vinyl booths the leader called to me sotto voce. "Wanna to get naked?" All the mothers heard her.

Since I've been cast as some philistine Judge Garzon of the arts who wants to file depositions, bring charges and levy arrest warrants against one Andres Segovia, despotic abuser of guitarmakers, allow me to legislate from my bench once more.

December 2009, San Francisco CA. Conservatory of Music.
Lecture/Demonstration by Pepe Romero and distinguished associates on Faculty.

Subjects: Torres, Tarrega, Esteso, Barbero, Santos, et al.

Second half of lecture, specific subject: Relationship between Santos Hernandez and my father.

Speaker: Pepe Romero

Description: Pepe Romero speaks warmly on the topic of Santos Hernandez's relationship as a guitarmaker who built instruments for his father. The main point was that there was an occasion when his father was traveling through Spain due to the political climate of the time and that when he made his way to Madrid he was received with great tenderness by Santos Hernandez. Santos had in a prior trip provided Pepe's father with a guitar which his father paid for. On this trip seeing that Pepe's father was at odds financially Mr. Hernandez returned to Mr. Romero the money with which Mr. Romero had purchased the guitar. Mr. Romero kept the guitar with the heartfelt blessings of Santos Hernandez. The money enabled Mr.Romero to have some cash in pocket and not be stranded in Madrid "sin ti".

Back to the Nosferatu of music, Herr Segovia; Because I have spent so much of my life in the pursuit of belles-letters, the sexual gaming and acquisition of LA punk chicks, the watching of Benny Hill, The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, The Monkeys and MTV I have done my duty as an American. Unfortunately this activity has cost me dearly in the realm of being able to discern between one type of guitar and another or the level of playing of any guitarist. I thank any of you who have pointed this out to me. I am in your debt for I strive to make guitars and without your kind and gentle observations on the shortcomings of my aural skills, I would have remained ignorant of my faults.

I owe you a great debt of gratitude,

Party on Garth!

Sincerely,

Stephen M. Faulk Esquire

Juris Doctorate of Aesthetic Fartknockery

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 9:45:30

estebanana

When you choose between a negra and blanca you have to ask yourself. Is it compared to what?

The choice between a blanca and a negra is like the dream of having two lovers at the same time. Since most of your wives or girlfriends won't let you have another lover, unless you are say French and wealthy, you can have two guitars.

The difference between a blanca and negra is comparing fond memories of a past lover while you are with your present lover. You remember the skin, the hair, the clothes, and yet your wife would beat the crap out of you if you said anything about this out loud. You would spend the night on the couch.

Say to yourself is this guitar compared to what? God bless the late Eddie Harris. watch him smile.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 10:39:31

Ron.M

You know, estebanana..Writers get paid about 250 quid for writing and reading such pieces for BBC Rado 4 (UK Speech Radio).

I especially liked..
My grandmother said in her Dallas/Fort Worth Texas accent "That old boy can sure play, I wish he would have done a Chet Atkins tune or two."

I really think your excellent piece would have been accepted by the producer of a special Segovia programme..."The Man, The Guitar, The People, The Cats"....

(Unfortunately they do not pay travel expenses, so it might not be such a good deal as it at first sounded. )

Anyway, at least we enjoyed it here!

(BTW I think Salvador Dali was also a cat lover, as I saw a documentary some years back, taken at his home in Spain.)

He was walking by the swimming pool, talking to the interviewer, when one of his cats walked by...

He immediately bent down and picked it up, petted it for a few moments, then swung it by the tail around and around his head and let go, so it flew into the air and landed in the middle of the pool with a "splosh".

The interviewer asked that wasn't this cruel?

Salvador said, "Nah...he LOVES it...all my cats do..They love flying and swimming..."

Some of these "geniuses" are a bit hard to understand fully by us lesser mortals I guess?

I dunno.... I just though it was strange...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 11:07:10

estebanana

Thanks Ron,
But I assure you no kitty's were harmed during the writing of my diatribe. I love cats and intend to own as many as possible when I reach my antisocial curmudgeonhood.

Also Aaron, I appreciate that you champion the balancing act in art, but in guitar making it really only counts where strings and sound are concerned. Yeah I guess we want balance, or at least equilibrium between different aspects of the guitars sound and structure.

However when it comes to art in general great artists and art runs the gamut of being mentally stable to psychologically unhinged. In flamenco you don't have to travel very far for examples. Take Manuel Agujetas, por ejemplo. I'm not going to say one way or the other what my opinion is, but he does not strike me as the kind of performer or man who exists on Prozac. Capullo is a bit nutty, I would hate to see his weirdnesses ironed out of him and there's always some eccentric gitano to cite as crazy, but I'll refrain as I like my ribs unpunctured by knives.

In the great scheme of painting and writing there is a cast of literally thousands of artists who are not "balanced". It reads like a who's who list of the art of the last five centuries and I'm talking about Europe alone not to mention some derelict characters in China like Li Po or the Japanese monk painter Sesshu who was the Van Gogh of Tian tai Shan monastery.

Van Gogh is an excellent example and one we all know. And there's Francis Bacon, Antonin Artaud, (who documented his own mental demise in journals) Delacroix, Velasquez, Bosch.

........ Dante, Melville, Bradbury......

Balance in art is a myth we borrowed from the Greeks. It was foisted on us by the Germans who were the first modern art historians and soundly killed off by Picasso around 1906 when he painted Demioselles de Avignon and shattered the Greek ideal of balance.

Welcome to the 21st century.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 12:11:53

JasonMcGuire

Ole!

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 12:43:35

mezzo

quote:

And that is OK imo, part of the whole thing. Like M. de Huelva not ever recording any of his best falsetas cuz he did not want to give his best stuff away.

A friend told me a gitano guitarist in madrid turned his back while playing to my friend, and later tried to slam my friend's hand in the door because he was picking up on some falsetas in the dance class

That's remind me an interview of Cepero talking about M. de Huelva's behaviour and some guitarrista attitude (at 1min40)

Cepero also speak about el Yutu y protools...interesting

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 12:47:27

Ron.M

quote:

A friend told me a gitano guitarist in madrid turned his back while playing to my friend

Actually, an American student guitarist did that to me as well when playing some bits out of Paco's version of "Impetu".

It's really pretty pathetic when you think about it...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 12:52:15

estebanana

Ever go to one of those guitar lessons with someone new and they ask you to play a bit to see what your level is? Then they end up having you show them all the stuff you just played? Classic.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 13:02:06

estebanana

Ron,

There's one racy tidbit about Dali I can relate to you if you care, but I caution you, it's rather .....err.... earthy to say the least. When I was a young man in my 20's I had a propensity to date older women in their 30's and 40's. I think the kids these days call them Cougars or MILF's.....I was educated by these women and that's why I learned so much about art. They were intelligent like Jesuits, but with alluring female assets. You could call them Jesimilfs.

Anyway...one of them met Dali in Cadaques......

I can stop anytime.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 13:24:48

aarongreen

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to Alonte

quote:

Aaron, I am impressed with your post. Good sense of respect. I have tried your flamencas before and your quality as a person sure reflects your work.

Thanks, I appreciate that very much.

Even after all this going around, I still maintain that Sabicas or Barbero would have been much more fun to hang out with. Nino Ricardo also was really quite generous according to stories I have heard that came from Mario Escudero and Juan Martin. The story I heard about Escudero and Ricardo was as a boy Ricardo used to show him stuff. One day he asked him to teach him his Fandangos. Ricardo said no... as Escudero related he recalls having made a pest of himself that particular day. So he went home and figured it out as best he could. He then played it for Ricardo and told him "I will play this for everyone and tell them it is the Fandangos of Nino Ricardo!" All of a sudden Ricardo was very interested in showing him how to play his Fandangos.

Aaron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 13:24:53

cathulu

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Interesting how the wood does not seem to make much of a difference ... more the build geometry and bracing. That is what I would be arguing! Anders, we are more agreeable than disagreeble as time goes by...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 13:31:21

mark indigo

quote:

The story I heard about Escudero and Ricardo was as a boy Ricardo used to show him stuff.

lol - i heard that same story somewhere but with farruca instead of fandangos!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2010 13:38:54

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Anders, we are more agreeable than disagreeble as time goes by

I know,

This thread has gone totally donuts, so I just wanna say that the different woods that you use for backs and sides change the sound and feel of the guitar.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 0:13:43

aarongreen

RE: What IS the purpose of a flamenc... (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

lol - i heard that same story somewhere but with farruca instead of fandangos!

Actually your right, it was farruca.

I never met Escudero which is too bad, he had left NYC by the time I started going there with my guitars. He was a pretty interesting character as well, by all accounts. There was a music school for many years called the American Institute for Guitar which, when I knew it, was around the corner from the David Letterman theater on 54th st. Escudero taught there for a bit, as did Juan de la Mata, who is probably about 87 now and looks like he's 20 years younger. Anyways Sabicas used to hang out there and you got Escudero there as well......plus pretty much everyone in the guitar world in NYC, it was quite a place.

Sorry for the continuing donutification of the thread. I will cease to donutify any further.

Actually to help bring this thread back around, Escudero played a Hauser guitar for many years, with a tap plate added.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 4:26:14

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M
He immediately bent down and picked it up, petted it for a few moments, then swung it by the tail around and around his head and let go, so it flew into the air and landed in the middle of the pool with a "splosh".

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
the man is muy sympathico to me!
Cat lovers are usually cocky IMO.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 4:59:55
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread