Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to Pimientito

QUOTE: Our society creates demands for resources and companies supply them at any cost. They can make massive profits but don't seem to shoulder any responsibility for their business practices. This is the biggest problem with our capitalist model...corporations can make as much money as they can for share holders without any responsibility to our environment or local communities. UNQUOTE.

Pimientito, you are correct, but if corporations and businesses, all of whom make money for their shareholders (which include many of us who own stocks or mutual funds) were to pay the true cost of doing business (which would include the damage to the environment, the fouling of the air and water, etc.) either the cost of their products to the consumer would greatly increase or the stock and mutual fund shareholders would have to accept considerably less return, or both. I still maintain that we are as responsible as the corporations and governments for what is going on. How many of us would willingly and sanguinely accept much higher prices for food, fuel, power, and all those things that make our lives comfortable and easy, in order that companies use the additional revenue to offset the true cost of production by implementing much greener production techniques, reforestation at a sustainable level, cleaning up pollution levels, etc.? In the summer of 2008, the price of gasoline at the pump in the U.S. rose to $4.00 per gallon--and the public howled bloody murder! If the majority of the public consider that a huge imposition on their lifestyle, I can't imagine how they would accept even greater cost increases in other areas.

Some on this forum have argued that the ordinary public is "vulnerable" and subject to "manipulation" by corporations and governments. I don't believe that for one minute. We all know what we want, and we pay for it, not because we are manipulated, but because we want it, plain and simple. No one is forced to buy a particular vehicle (such as a huge, gas-guzzling SUV), the latest electronic gadget, or anything else. We all have minds capable of making individual decisions. If the public wanted small cars rather than SUVs, all they would have to do is not buy SUVs, and Detroit and others would make the type of cars we want. Demand determines supply. I still maintain that we have met the enemy and it is us.

Cheers,

Bill
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 18:22:28

Ricardo

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to Guest

quote:

I don't completely agree with the "we are all at fault" idea. I think that it is a natural process for our species' to have invented the internal combustion engine and developed it to the extent that we witness today. It really was an evolution of thought and practicality that took hundreds of years. But once it was put into practice, it really changed the world. And do you really think back then people were thinking of how negatively it would affect the environment? They really had no idea that it would open the doors to a whole new generation of technology that depends on fuels and that it would propel our species to a rate of unprecedented technological advancement.

It really jumpstarted our species to grow and develop. But now we know that the use of these tools is hurting our environment.

Just like when they were working on the bomb and nuclear energy, for sure they (smart people engineering things like energy sources and technology) could think ahead, at least a little. Too proud of their efforts they were I guess, but the general public should never have gotten to USE anything that would be potentially dangerous. That way we CAN blame the smart people in control for any meltdowns or disasters. But that is not what happened, now look at the mess.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2010 8:14:41

marrow3

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Just like when they were working on the bomb and nuclear energy, for sure they (smart people engineering things like energy sources and technology) could think ahead, at least a little. Too proud of their efforts they were I guess, but the general public should never have gotten to USE anything that would be potentially dangerous.

The Manhattan project was a response to the Nazis and a fear they would develop nuclear weapons first. nuclear war has been avoided in the last 60 years, so there can be reason to be positive for the future.

regards,
Richard
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2010 9:57:20

Ricardo

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to marrow3

quote:

The Manhattan project was a response to the Nazis and a fear they would develop nuclear weapons first. nuclear war has been avoided in the last 60 years, so there can be reason to be positive for the future.

There was a good movie about it called Fat man and Little boy. What was shown in the movie, (grain of salt if you want I dont' know the accuracy), was the scientists were joined in the movement AGAINST making the bomb, the more they realized they might succeed. Then the nazi's lost anyway. But then the hard ass ignorant redneck military leaders were going as far as blackmailing the scientists to continue.

In the end it was clear Oppenheimer, for one, had an ego and THAT more then the blackmail was pushing him to prove what his mind was capable of achieving. It's just human nature of course, but there is always a choice, hard as that choice may be.

60 years we did not annihilate all life, woopdeedoo there must be hope...yet we have tons of waste we can't get rid of EVER. We will be on the edge of disaster for a LONG time to come.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2010 10:22:28

marrow3

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to Ricardo

development of nuclear weapons followed the knowledge of the time you couldn't put the genie back in the bottle then or now, if hadn't been Oppenheimer someone else would. Nuclear waste is a problem but not an infinitely bad one. They are responsibilities that have come with the society we live in. If we act responsibly. Nuclear waste is better than CO2.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2010 10:33:58

fevictor

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 20 2010 11:15:40
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2010 10:56:04

Ron.M

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to BarkellWH

Can't some of these bright young kids from Palo Alto just write some great code and sort this stuff out?
It's been going on for a while now.

Jeez...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 12:05:08

sean65

I hope you guys are all playing Blanca's made from renewable sources with an FSA stamp inside.

Think very carefully about why you would need an exotic negra and be aware of the consequences for your choice.

It's good to be mindful.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2010 23:00:44

Ron.M

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

British Petroleum Makes me SICK

Or as Daffy says..

"You're dethpicable...you make me thick"

So what's happening?
Is anyone running a book on this? (Mark2 used to be the bookie here..)
So now we're at Plan D...

Plan A was to get underwater ROVs to shut off the BOP manually.
Plan B was to drop a big collecting dome.
Plan C was to bury the whole thing in golf balls and used car tyres and dead cats. (Arizona's suggestion of using illegal immigrants being rejected... )
Plan D is now pumping a sh*t load of mud down the pipe and sealing it off with concrete.

I loved the BP spokesman's comment that this was likely to do the job, but "could actually make it much worse...."

Great stuff from the professionals!

Meanwhile Obama is pacing up and down and screaming into BP's earhole.."Just stop the leak NOW you MF's!!!"
You can also hear him thinking "...OK..I've given you guys a chance...now we're gonna do it MY way..." (like in the movies)
But the Army, Navy and Air Force can't think of anything...

And there is no Plan E (as far as I know )

Maybe they ought to run booms all the way from Florida to South America and just concrete in the whole Gulf!

Think of the house building concessions on all that new land!
(Haliburton take note )

This is truly a job for Superman, with a big supercork if ever there was one.
(and he could also cork that annoying Icelandic volcano too while he's at it)

Sorry for the graveyard humour folks...but the situation is just so (humanly) dire that you just gotta laugh.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 10:40:06

Escribano

I heard on Radio 4 today that BP pays £6 billion in tax to the UK Treasury each year. That is the entire amount our new Government is trying to save this year and that is how important oil companies are... so I don't expect too much hand wringing.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2010 11:40:34

cathulu

Ron, it is absolutely terrible! Everyone is put in a very difficult position, because they want BP to be successful with the capping, and at the same time, they want them to pay and heads to roll. It is a nightmare to cheer and hate the protagonist at the same time.

We will all pay in the end for this tragedy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2010 19:30:31

Ron.M

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to cathulu

Well, BP have even admitted that Plan E will not completely solve the problem, as they cannot actually cap the riser, just fit a big tube over it and collect whatever they can.

This "relief wells" thing puzzles me too...

A drill hole is but a mere pinprick in a large oilfield.

Imagine you have a garden hose, pressurised, but shut off at the end nozzle.

Now, if you get a needle and puncture the hose, then water will squirt out.

(eg the first drill hole perforation into the oil bearing chamber)

Now, if you make several other needle holes nearby, water will squirt out of those too....but not significantly reduce the flow rate from the first hole...

Anyway...I'm sure BP must know what they're doing.

BTW...there was a guy on the news this morning suggesting that they use an Atomic Bomb to seal it!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2010 0:54:03

Ron.M

Well...just heard that the ROV that was decapitating the riser pipe has hit a problem....

The blade's become stuck.

Something I'm sure anyone who has ever wielded a woodsaw or hacksaw or circular saw must have experienced...

(Generally caused by "impatience" and pushing too hard...just hurry up and get it done..)

Trouble is, the young guys these days HAVE no patience!

The news report immediately took me back to my old woodwork teacher who always drummed into us..

"Hold TIGHTLY....Saw LIGHTLY!"

This was his Mantra that he beat into us.

I'm sure if he were alive today, this is what he would be shouting at the Radio...

So you do live on after you die!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 11:15:17

chapman_g

Saw an interview on news where a former engineer at Shell said they could implode the well. But I think he said they lose that well if they do that, and we know that means lots of money so no implosion coming.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2010 4:58:38

Ron.M

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to chapman_g

Maybe that's the same guy I heard on the radio suggesting the Atomic Bomb?
(Mind you, he said that heaps of conventional high-explosive could do it too.)

He too said that BP could collapse the well, but they would lose it, so their "solutions" revolved around keeping the well viable at all costs.

Knowing BP's luck, if they tried that they'd probably trigger a Tsunami!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2010 6:39:04

cathulu

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to chapman_g

I can't believe the billions in clean-up and environmental damage and corporate damage is worth keeping the well open. Oh my god if this is true - but somehow I doubt it.

But I have wondered why they don't drill explosives around the well and implode it. Seems like it should be an option they should at least mention to the public and explain why they don't use it or if it works or not. Has there been any discussion on that I wonder.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2010 8:57:41

Pgh_flamenco

The devastation from the Exxon Valdez is still a problem. Fishing has yet to make a come back 20 years later and entire communities have been dealing with high rates of unemployment, housing foreclosures, divorce and suicide ever since. So how many decades will people be dealing with the consequences of this oil leak in the gulf? It looks like the folks on the gulf coast, like the BP exec, won’t be getting their lives back any time soon.

It’s interesting how Obama has refused to take control of the situation. He doesn’t want to be associated with this huge fiasco and the continued failures to end it. A second term is more important to him.

Edit: I just noticed the banner on this page that reads, "BP Spill: Blame Obama? Vote Here Now"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2010 10:10:47

Ron.M

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to cathulu

quote:

I can't believe the billions in clean-up and environmental damage and corporate damage is worth keeping the well open.

Hi Cathulu,

Estimated spillage per day is between 12,000 to 110,000 barrels per day (US Coastguard figures)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2010/06/gulf-oil-spill-coast-guards-early-flow-estimates-released.html

At current oil price/barrel (at a current low) =approx $72

12,000 barrels = $864,000/day

110,000 barrels = $7,920,000/day

A business programme I heard on the radio said that BP were not financially in too bad a shape as the current estimate of liabilities amounted to about 7% of last year's profits worldwide.

Eees mucho dinero een thees beezness muchacho...

(If you own a giant milk-cow which is raging through all the china shops in the main street and damaging cars and property and generally causing havoc...the LAST thing you want is the Police or Army to shoot it!)

Also, offering responsibility for clearing up the mess via the media is not legally binding, though it's good PR to get through a rough patch.....

Bills and claims can be presented to BP, but that does not mean that they automatically have to pay them, regardless of their media spin, public promises and promises to the President.

This amount is still essentially capped in law.

They will leave it to the courts to settle and since blame is not immediately attributable to BP in law, and there are many avenues to explore...that could take years...probably decades...

It's called "kicking the ball into the long grass"...

As an example..
26 years after the Bhopal disaster in India where thousands died and thousands more left with long-term health problems, the residue still continues to pollute the water and the environment.
Union Carbide (who at the time solemnly promised to compensate everyone concerned and return the environment to its natural state) have parted with only a few 100 million dollars to date and nobody has ever been prosecuted.**
They have simply just "moved on" and just let bygones be bygones.

(BTW, a Louisiana law company has already submitted a 1700 page claims document to BP on behalf of a small community ruined by the spillage and the claim has been returned by the BP lawyers, asking for "more detail"....so there's a good example of how the "big boys" handle things.)

cheers,

Ron

**(07 June) Strangely enough this incident has just come on the radio this morning and it appears 26 years later, 8 folk have been found guilty of lesser charges which carry a 2 year maximum sentence. Sentencing has still to take place.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2010 10:13:10

Ron.M

Well, the truth is slowly trickling out...

Apparently after the Exxon Valdez incident, the US brought in much tighter controls over the Oil Industry.

When the prospect of the new Engineering challenge of "deepwater drilling" came about, certain "Green" movements were dead against it as they claimed that the technology was not sufficiently advanced to cope with unexpected and possibly major problems which could prove disasterous.

When deepwater drilling rights went up for sale in the Gulf of Mexico, the protesters claimed that this above all was much too sensitive an area Ecologically speaking, to try out such untried projects and tried to take the US Government to Court to force an injunction.

But it was fought and overruled by one George W Bush and his team who claimed that independence from imported oil was far too important to the US economy to be taken lightly and so won the case and exploratory drilling rights were sold.

When Obama won office, new protests were made, but he too stated that the US must rely upon it's own resources as much as possible, since the Middle East was looking increasingly unstable...and also that with the Economic Recession, many jobs and families depended on the Gulf Oil Industry, so gave his approval.

So, as you can see...it's not just the fault of some dodgy foreign company who were employed by a bigger dodgy foreign company to flog their services to an even bigger dodgy foreign company.

There were MANY fingers in the pie.

Just as in the Banking disaster.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2010 20:17:10

Arash

The title of this thread ("BP makes me sick") actually also reminds me on the history of BP in Iran. Actually its not the first time that BP makes me sick

Did you guys know that BP's name was first Anglo-Iranian-Oil-Company, then later renamed to BP?

If you want to know why many Iranians are happy, that this disaster happened to BP now , read about

- ) The History of Anglo-Iranian-Oil-Company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Persian_Oil_Company

- ) Nationalisation of Oil through Mossadegh in Iran: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Mosaddegh

- ) Operation Ajax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat

Not everything is written in Wikipedia, but you just get an idea and the Role of BP!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2010 6:48:44

Ailsa

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to Arash

Those were really interesting links Arash. I always find it interesting how the history taught at school is so different depending where you were brought up. In the UK we are taught nothing of that.

The first time I was really aware of Iran was in 1979, with the Ayatollah Khomeini coming to power. That wasn't depicted positively because of the impact on women, but that possibly wasn't reported fairly, as I see that one of his daughters is a politician and university professor. Not exactly stuck in the house doing the domestic work then!!

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2010 11:42:08

Ramon Amira

NEWS FLASH

REUTERS – JANUARY 7, 2015

British Petroleum has just announced that they have stopped the leak. BP CEO Tony Hayward personally came up with the solution. Apparently his eight year old grandson, Tony Haiwerd, (the kid changed the spelling to avoid stigma) cut his finger. To stop the bleeding he went and put a band-aid on it. When Tony Hayward saw that he said EUREKA!!! and he contacted the Band-Aid Company to construct a gigantic band-aid. They wrapped that around the well and VOILA! the leak was stopped. A beaming Tony Hayward said to the press, "I am pleased to announce that we have stopped the leak three years ahead of our projected date."

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2010 16:02:18

Arash

RE: British Petroleum Makes me SICK (in reply to Ailsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ailsa

Those were really interesting links Arash. I always find it interesting how the history taught at school is so different depending where you were brought up. In the UK we are taught nothing of that.

Well, i guess thats normal.
No one wants to admit having done bad things to others

quote:

The first time I was really aware of Iran was in 1979, with the Ayatollah Khomeini coming to power. That wasn't depicted positively because of the impact on women, but that possibly wasn't reported fairly, as I see that one of his daughters is a politician and university professor. Not exactly stuck in the house doing the domestic work then!!

Well, there are other important things which are not reported fairly. For instance the atomic issue is total BS.
Similar type of lies as before the iraqi war are spread now again and interestingly nearly everyone believes them again.

But anyway, the system in Iran after 1979 had (and has) many many bad elements too. I myself hate a huge part of the system.
Many of these Mullahs in Iran are simply A.holes and many rules in Iran are also total BS too.
Its always horrible when religion is mixed with goverment.
Religion must be banned to private life.

Anyway, what i learned in my life is that there is nothing nowhere in the world black or white but always pretty much grey.
Be it Iran, US, UK, Germany or anywhere else.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2010 5:39:34

Pgh_flamenco

Looks like Tony Hayward has been banished to Siberia. I thought only the Soviets could do that? He has a few million dollars coming his way plus an $18 million pension.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2010 23:57:34
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post