Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Tonerite review   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Patrick

RE: Tonerite review (in reply to Patrick

quote:

Would it be possible for you to set up a recording rig, including distance to chair etc. (and not touch it!), record the a short solea or something, before it has been shaken, then record the same thing again afterwards, and then upload both mp3's ?

I think this is a good idea, but in reality I don’t believe it will reveal much. The process of a guitar opening up can be subtle in many ways and I have my doubts you will notice them on home recording equipment in a non-controlled environment, crunched into an MP3, played through computer speakers.

My Green has gone through some dramatic changes, but would you hear them in the above scenario? Questionable.

We have all heard MP3’s of a bunch of high end guitars and can hardly tell the difference between them.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2010 8:12:30

Ricardo

Talked about this with a rumbero friend. Basically he said using this device would be like giving your new virgin bride a vibrator as a wedding gift on your honeymoon.

So why take to fun out of breaking in your new guitar??

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 10:16:18

Arash

RE: Tonerite review (in reply to Ricardo

LOL

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 10:31:23

Patrick

quote:

So why take to fun out of breaking in your new guitar??

Well based on my experiance, it can take a long, long time. At my age, I may not have that much left (time that is).

The other problem is if you own several guitars, they may not get a lot of playing time.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 17:32:42

cathulu

I am severly restraining myself from commenting!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 21:15:39

XXX

RE: Tonerite review (in reply to cathulu

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathulu

I am severly restraining myself from commenting!

Looks like you failed.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2010 4:26:36

Steve Wright

RE: Tonerite review (in reply to XXX

Interesting thread this. I thought some headphones resting in various positions each day - playing a wide variety of melodies, would help in opening up the guitar - as long as you heard a definite increase in volume once you placed the headphone on the guitar. Headphones are of course "Transducers". One such piece of kit talks of these mysterious transducers http://www.youtube.com/user/godbyone#p/u/19/1uPZUx7ZvYo

http://prime-vibe.com/ reckon it will take 100 hours to get vintage tone. It's also half the price.

Testing though can be subjective. You have to be very rigorous in order to get true comparisons.

Rhythm, grace & passion. El ritmo, gracia & la pasión
Be the change you want to see in this world - Gandhi

http://www.youtube.com/user/FusionMusic1000
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2011 2:04:05

rombsix

RE: Tonerite review (in reply to flybynight

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 17 2016 19:24:33

rombsix

RE: Tonerite review (in reply to rombsix

Here we go...

I am confident that my Stagg is going to turn into a Conde 144 hours from now.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 27 2016 3:08:23

rombsix

Guitar is really sounding much brighter. I was hoping the stiffness / pulsation of the guitar would improve, but that hasn't really. It's still much harder to play than my GK Studio Negra (which plays like absolute butter), but it really did improve sound-wise. The trebles are much clearer now, and the basses are less muffled...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2016 1:53:09

rombsix

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2016 2:21:22

Leñador

It sounds like the action is still high, can it come down? Is the saddle a bit high? Am I wrong?

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2016 5:34:21

rombsix

RE: Tonerite review (in reply to Leñador

quote:

It sounds like the action is still high, can it come down? Is the saddle a bit high? Am I wrong?

Yeah, you're right. The setup is not optimal. The action is where the guitar is not like butter to play, but I have weaker hands... You have to press down more than my GK Studio Negra for example. I don't think the saddle can come down anymore. I think either the nut or the fretboard (with re-fretting) would be the way to go if the action is to come down a bit. That might make the guitar easier to play, but the guitar still feels relatively stiff in general (pulsation-wise) which I think might not change even with improving the setup. I may be wrong or spoiled because of how EASY it is to play my GK Studio Negra... The Stagg does sound better though after the ToneRite.

Maybe one day I'll get Andy to set this guitar up for me so it will play easier. Or I might just sell it. A pretty decent guitar for the price, really. And the 640 mm scale length is great for smaller hands.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2016 13:34:42

Ricardo

quote:

I think either the nut or the fretboard (with re-fretting) would be the way to go if the action is to come down a bit. That might make the guitar easier to play, but the guitar still feels relatively stiff in general (pulsation-wise) which I think might not change even with improving the setup.

Nut action ONLY affects the FIRST FRET. If you want an easier feel you have to lower the bone....you can make higher frets or thicken up (i.e.) change the fingerboard, but it's ridiculous compared to just lower the bone saddle. If you can't go lower then the bridge can be filed down. anything thing below 6mm will start to feel weird on the right hand but the action will be easier for sure. The sound will also decrease when you lower the bridge.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2016 16:55:18

Echi

I have read that you have to have a substantial change (I mean to lower the saddle a lot) in order to perceive a clear loss in volume.
Al Carruth Made some experiments and wrote some things about this topic.
I'm not sure to remember properly what he said, but I think he said the main factor is the change of the angle/pressure of the strings on the nut.
In my experience (but I'm not a pro) the strings have less room when you pick them hard, giving the perception of more power, but the volume is more or less the same.
Second aspect: I'd have no problem in lowering the saddle by shaving the wood until you are at 6 mm.
I for one, find more comfortable a setting with tall frets anyway.
If you would install taller frets you can easily earn 0.5 mm at the 12th fret without the need to shave any wood. The problem when you go too low at the bridge is that you ending having the holes at the bridge too high and a a consequence less pressure on the bone.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2016 17:18:08

Stephen Eden

RE: Tonerite review (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Nut action ONLY affects the FIRST FRET.

It has the exact same measurement change to lowering the saddle. 1mm equates to 0.5mm at the 12th fret. There is of course a lot less room for maneuver. Unless of course you are using a cajilla then it means nothing.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2016 11:49:43
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote