Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Time on putting a guitar together   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Andy Culpepper

Time on putting a guitar together 

Hey all,
Just curious to compare notes on how long it takes to do different tasks, basically up to and including closing the box.
For the guitar I'm working on now I've been keeping a little log. I thought I would share some of it with you so you can poke fun at how slow I am
This is listed by what I got done in a given day, and how many hours I spent on the guitar that day.

-Preparing neck- head flipped/glued and heel stack glued up: 4-5 hrs over a couple days

-Select, join top+back: 5 hrs

-Layout, cut to rough shape top+back, rough thickness top, put in rosette: 5

-Prepare headplate veneers and glue up headplate w/ center stripe of 6 lines: 4

-Cut out braces + braced top - 6

-Carved top, tapping, flexing, etc. - 7

-Cut out + glued on back braces, started carving, glued on head plate/veneers- 7

-Finished carving back braces, cut out tuner head - 5

-Detailed head, shaped foot, rough carved heel - 7

-Joined top+neck, made inside the box stuff, put sides on bender - 6

-Final hand-bending of sides, glued in sides - 5.5

-Glued in tentalones, side reinforcements, started trimming sides - 6

-Sanded/planed top of sides, foot, etc, glued in back linings - 6.5

-Fit back and glued it in - 6.5

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2010 15:40:06

rodpacheco

RE: Time on putting a guitar together (in reply to Andy Culpepper

hahaha Maaan, let's just say the won't call me Speedy Gonzales anytime this week! It sounds right, I think it depends on experience, possibility to focus on the work, delivery date, the set up of your shop or workplace, etc.

I learnt with an amazing luthier in Paracho, Mexico and he builds soooo fast, so clean, exceleeeentee in every way. The only difference is that he does no finish the guitars himself, that's why he can build about 8 or 10 guitars by himself every month.

I am thinking right now, I won't worry so much about my daily schedule which is almost never met, and however long it takes to get the work done right, is the time it will take me until I get more experience and if possible a good working rhythm. At the moment is taking me 45 days to build 4 guitars from start to finish. Work Hard, Play Hard! good luck man!

Rodrigo Pacheco
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2010 17:27:47

Anders Eliasson

quote:

he can build about 8 or 10 guitars by himself every month.

Gee, thats my quote for a years production. Well, it includes French Polish, but anyways. I guess that Luthier is not wasting time on Foroflamenco.

Deterresa. Go slow and double check every thing. As I´ve told you, my first guitar turned out better than number 2 or 3. Its easy to think you know. So double check and good luck with the build.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2010 0:01:59

Stephen Eden

Well thats not to bad! How many instruments have you made now deteresa1? I think I'd probably shave about 30-40 hours off your time. If pushed I could probably get the whole thing done minus the polishing in two weeks. 80 hours. Working on two at a time makes things alot more efficient.

120 guitars a year!! That guy must be a blurr in the workshop! I push for about 20 guitars a year which I thought was quite alot for an individual maker.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2010 0:38:08

Andy Culpepper

Rodrigo: that's insane. He must need a team of finishers to keep up with him. Your output sounds pretty good too.

Anders: thanks for the advice. So far this time I have made way fewer mistakes, despite working faster. It's looking promising, I guess we'll see how it sounds.

Stephen: This is my second guitar. Still don't have everything down in muscle memory quite yet, but a lot of things are. 20 boxes a year is damn good! It's taken the guy I work with 10 years to make 25 He is retired though.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2010 16:21:37

a_arnold

Salvador Castillo (Paracho) quotes 40 days, but I am sure he is working on several at once. I know that he has made more than 100 since October 2007. He numbers them. I have ordered another negra -- due to arrive in a few days. I can calculate an exact average for him over several years when I get it.

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2010 17:30:05

estebanana

When I started building and working on instruments 1979 I began by sweeping the floor in a violin bow makers shop. That lasted about two days. The bowmaker, Mr. "T", graduated me to the next higher task. Mr. T was my first teacher, his wife owned an antique shop, she was a professional "antique lady" and together they had a large shed full of pieces they had collected to be restored or repaired so they could be sold in her store.

In order to gauge whether or not I was worthy of learning to work on violins, celli and cello and violin bows, I was given the task and position of Chief Commissar in Charge of Furniture restoration. In this house there were three concurrent operations. My teacher was a former WPA artist, (for those of you out of the US that was a federal work program during the 1930s depression. ) his training and subsequent experience led him to architecture, instrument building and painting conservation. So one studio room was dedicated to fine oil painting restoration and conservation, and one larger studio comprised of three rooms served as the instrument workshop, with an outdoor annex of power tools. It was my task to find a place with a large work surface so that I could undertake the job of stripping and refinishing medium priced furniture, like desks, chairs and dressers. I was banished out of the shop and onto a plywood table in the back yard under the eaves of the porch.

I worked under the porch roof for a summer making $3.85 per hour slaving over hot caustic stripper and steel wool pads whilst poking my head into the main shop whenever possible to catch a glimpse of some violin client dropping off an instrument or bow. After the client had left I was invited in see what was going to be worked on. Little by little over the course of the first summer I was given studio room tasks which began with things like preparing the mother of pearl slide material that T used to make or replace slides in bows. Preparing the pearl or abalone was a process of selecting a section, rough cutting it and then lapping it flat on a water washed electric lapidary wheel which located in the tool annex room. Black Abalone renders the most beautiful of all pearl. The best comes from the the small coin sized section on the abalone where the adductor muscle makes it's attachment. Most of the slides and appointments on the frogs of T's best bows were made with adductor pearl from Black Abalone. T loved to tease me over and over about how I was in the back room "making pearl". This humor eluded me as I was sixteen and did not understand that "making" in depression era parlance meant ****ing. T threatened to call my grandmother and tell her I was out back "making pearl" or ****ing Pearl, whomever she was. I always presumed he meant Pearl Bailey because she was the only Pearl I had ever heard of, and this disturbed me.

I was subjected to these vile insults and hardships and my only recourse was to retaliate by dropping by the studio after work with a gorgeous girl I had been dating named "Kookie". T liked gorgeous women, but his antique lady wife forbid him to be in situations where he was "making" them. So thus began the long and antagonistic relationship I had with T, and his wife, until his death in 2000. I did not work for him for the entire duration between 1979 and 2000. By the end of the first summer I was integrated into the workshop as a full time helper/apprentice in bowmaking and cello repair. I did work for three and a half years solid in the beginning and then dropped in over the years to help out on projects or to just take up breathing space in the shop while I aggravated T in which ever way I thought at the moment would be the most aggravating.

When I first went to T's workshop it was not with the intention of getting a job making instruments, it was to get cracks in the top of my cello mended. I was in the living room waiting for him to finish a phone call, I was looking at the piano which was draped with a red and Navy blue Persian rug. It was a Beethoven era piano made by Chickering. On top of the piano, lying in state on the blues and oranges of the Persian carpet, were a half dozen very old violins. Some where Italian and some were anonymous but looked, he told me later, to be of Italian origin. One was a violin by Antoniazzi, a modern Italian maker. It was long and tubby with blackish streaks in the varnish. When T had finished his phone call he walked over and asked me what I was looking at. I motioned to the violins, I had never seen any old Italian instruments and said they were breathtaking. He began to tell me about each violin, how old it was and which city in Italy it was from. He explained that violin making in Italy was stylistically regional. Next we went out into the workshop where he showed me a few violins with the tops off, I could see inside from tail block to neck block and the corner blocks and linings. He handed an open violin to me. A moment of discovery. It was as if I had picked up a light fragile sea animals' shell off the beach. I suppose I showed enough interest and blurted out something about wanting to make a classical guitar and having had made some wooden objects in my grandfathers shop. T offered me a job as his grunt work helper, but bristled at the idea of making a guitar under his roof. He said I could learn something about all the projects in the house, if I swept the floor first.

There was a guitar maker in town, but apparently he and T had had words. Once the guitar maker and T got together to exchange information and curiosity at being two instrument makers in the same town, Redlands California. The guitar maker said he thought that making a violin bow was not that big of a deal when compared to making a classical guitar. This pissed T off and he and the guitar maker never spoke further. I never brought up the subject of guitar making again until around 1996.

The idea that making a violin bow is less an art or difficult a venture than a classical guitar is preposterous. In fact I think making bows is more difficult. The guitar maker in Redlands in the late 1970's was not a great builder, as I look back with what I know now. I am certainly glad I did not happen into his shop first and get snared into working for him as I did with T in his crazy three project circus. Some guitar makers then got away with that kind of arrogance. It was on the tail end of the classical guitar awakening in the US and several builders were riding the tide of being known because there were so few guitar makers. It was not until 1997 when I was in a bar called "The Albatross" in Berkeley California that I met a guy named Eugene Clark who was a guitar maker. He was standing at the bar watching an aire dripping flamenco guitarist named Keni Parker play his regular Thursday night sets and he was the second guitar maker I had ever met. Eventually I got to talk to him and little by little expressed a desire to build a guitar. Gene had a slightly perceptable recoil action, like a small caliber rifle, when you said "I want to build a guitar." I'm sure he had heard this from a million guys who had said they wanted to build, only to flake out. After some weeks of seeing him at the Albatross he turned to me and said "So did I hear you say you wanted to make a guitar? "

He asked how he could help me, but in a tone that seemed to ask, I don't l know if I can help you, can you help yourself? He said this with the sentiment W.C. Fields would have intoned with his cliche' line "Get away from me kid, you bother me." What hooked Mr. Gene into engaging me in conversation and ultimately letting me tag along to his work shop was when I said "I would like to see your workbench." He asked why, and I said "If I can see your workbench then I will be able to read it like a book to see which tools you use to build guitars, then I will know which questions to ask you without wasting your time." He liked that answer, he liked it very much.

T would admonish me constantly to work carefully and he had several maxims he would tout at me. Some meant to encourage and some to slow me down. One of the most interesting things he used regarding mistakes and how to fix them when you work was: "If an object can survive it's own process of manufacture then it deserves to be born a musical instrument." He was said you can fix things along the way if you make a mistake, often guitar makers and other instrument builders, whether they admit it or not, make blunders while they work. Even the most skilled seasoned craftspeople make a mistake every now and again. T's philosophy was that it gives the instrument character if you make a mistake, but are able to save it, hopefully without anyone knowing. Much of his aesthetic or threshold for finish was formed by his fondness for pre Cremonese period violins, which generally tend to be a bit more "rough" if you can call a violin rough. There is a certain brusque directness that translates the energy of the builders hand into those older violins from outside Cremona and in a more refined way it can be felt in the Cremonese violins.

It has always been a point of contention with me that current guitar making standards for fit and finish are more akin to those of freshly painted mechanically polished automobiles rolling off assembly lines than Italian violins. I believe there's vitality in the pentimenti of surface marks which guitar builders make while working. They then have to "cleanse" the guitar of it's own history to please the market.

One of T's most oft spoken maxims was "Slow down and do it right. That object is going be around for four hundred years and others are going have to look at your work. "

Time means nothing, time does not exist in instrument making. Recording clock time spent is just your ego keeping track of itself. After certain experience has been gained, a guitar or anything can be made in a small amount of clock time. There is an element to making an instrument that can't be counted in clock time and that element will last four hundred years and is the only important thing.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2010 9:40:13

Ron.M

RE: Time on putting a guitar together (in reply to estebanana

Great story Estebanana!!

I really enjoyed that.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2010 11:48:26

estebanana

Thanks Ron.

I hope someone gets the point that it's not about how fast you do this or that, but how you were lucky enough to have spent time with a teacher and how that time will never come back. And that you have to conceive of that time with your teacher not a contracting endeavour, but a time of cultivating artistic decisiveness.

It is paltry to reduce learning to how much time you spend doing this or that. It takes as much time as it takes because you need to respect it. If I asked Jason McGuire or any other person who spent most of their lives practicing and turning music around in their heads or a dancer how long it takes to mount a solea he or she would say oh about the last 25 years of my life.

If you have a teacher you need to take up as much as they can give you and then return the favor to someone else later in life.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2010 14:53:34

Andy Culpepper

wow, that is a great story. I think the "certain someone" got his message
Thanks Stephen.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2010 15:15:06

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Time means nothing, time does not exist in instrument making.

As long as you don't have to make a living.

I really enjoyed your post. You're a fine writer.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2010 15:16:03

estebanana

When you are a student time should mean nothing-

When you turn pro time is everything as most of your time goes to talking to customers and ordering **** and maintaining the tools and the dozen other crappy adminstrative things that suck time away from building.

You should enjoy being a student because the time will never come back and you might miss things with your teacher if you are hung up on calculating everything. You'll get fast as a byproduct of simply working. Today I'd have liked nothing better than to hang with my old teacher and F around. Now that I can build fairly well I wish he could see the product he helped make. He never got to see the final result. Sure I fixed a lot of cellos and had waterloos and windfalls, but it would have been nice if he could have seen me enter into a more mature period of building.

So if someone is kind enough to teach you, take it as gift and do your best.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2010 16:40:21

HemeolaMan

duly noted

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2010 8:59:34

jshelton5040

quote:

So if someone is kind enough to teach you, take it as gift and do your best.

I never had a teacher and I envy you the experience.

I learned basic woodworking skills from my father building sheds, cow barns and chicken houses on our small farm as well as remodeling the old farm house and digging a basement under it.

I learned bench carpentry from my great friend Deryl who was a licensed architect, mechanical engineer and master woodworker. I've never met anyone better at joinery.

Taught myself how to build guitars. Building a guitar is no big deal if you have bench carpentry skills. Building a good guitar is where a competant teacher would be an enormous boon. I think the biggest problem with most people who want to learn how to build is lack of basic woodworking experience. If you don't know basic skills like how to sharpen a chisel building a guitar can be a challenge. If I were to advise someone on how to learn to be a luthier I'd suggest they first get a job in the woodworking trades for a few years.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2010 15:42:47

Exitao

RE: Time on putting a guitar together (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

Great story Estebanana!!

I really enjoyed that.

cheers,

Ron

What? What do you mean "great story?" It's not finished yet. Is it?

He's not going to just leave it there. Is he?

Estebanana:

What you've written is well-written. A little polishing and a few more chapters and you're well on your way to a book that would sell.

Or you could break it up, flush out the different bits and start a blog type site with it.

At any rate, I do want to read more. Please.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2010 17:04:09

krichards

RE: Time on putting a guitar together (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

I never had a teacher and I envy you the experience.

I agree.
As you say, John, making a guitar is no big deal, but to make a good flamenco requires knowledge not readily available in books. Experience certainly helps, but trial and error is a slow business and having a teacher would certainly speed things up.
To get back to the original question about how long it takes.
Of course it also depends on how much pre production you go in for.
Do you make your own tentallones?
Purflings and bindings? etc etc

I reckon to spend about 200 hours on each guitar including the polishing. maybe I'm slow but I do find the polishing takes a long time and I also spend a lot of time on the set-up.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2010 23:46:31

Exitao

Pre-production.

I was wondering what the word was for that. I was curious to ask before but I lacked the words:

How much can pre-production be applied to and, optimally, how much can it effect your total productivity?

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 0:34:24

Stephen Eden

Well pre-production is one of those things that can be tempting. You could go as far as buying kits and just assemble the box and do the set up.

I guess the most common pre-fab parts are rosettes, necks and bridges. These can seriously speed up production time. If you look on the madinter website you can get a rgeat idea of what you can buy that is pre-fab. Personally the only thing I would ever consider using would be a pre-fab rosette but only after I had designed it and made it enough times to say I am happy with it.

I like to think that doing runs of things can speed up production emensley. Peones or tentalones for one example is something I make almost a years worth in one run. I think it can give me an extra few days a year.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 1:34:09

a_arnold

On building speed, here is some hard data.

Salvador Castillo, IMO the best of the Paracho guitarreros, numbers, signs, and dates his instruments, and says he never produces anything but his best workmanship because he is trying to build a reputation as a world-class maker. No student models. So the prices of his different models -- classical, flamenco, etc., vary only as a function of the materials and any extras that the client wants (and of course his prices are always escalating to keep pace with the ever-increasing demand as he becomes better known).

Salvador does it for a living and so is probably as efficient as any one-man operation could be. He is well past his 300th guitar. Torres made fewer than 160 during his lifetime.

Castillo built exactly 130 guitars between Oct 2006 and May 2010 (I own both those guitars, so I can calculate). That averages out to almost exactly 3 per month. He says it takes him 40 days to finish one, so that means he is working on an average of 4 guitars at any one time.

By the way, guitar #248 was the first with the new bracing system that has gotten so much attention for cannon-like projection and increased brilliance. He plays it on his web site.

Obviously everyone works at a different pace, but I would imagine that, as demand increases, the experienced solo luthier develops techniques for increasing production -- up to a point. Jigs to speed things up, preproduction of some parts. Overlapping production so he can work on one while the glue dries on another and the finish dries on a 3rd. I could see Salvador, at some point in the future, hiring apprentices to do some of the work -- maybe cleanup, polishing, etc. I don't know what kinds of things an apprentice might do.

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 11:22:58

Stephen Eden

Ahh well thats not too bad then! I figured I could fit an extra 10 instruments in if I didnt have to do the polishing myself. Hmm perhaps I should start looking for a french polisher.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 0:41:02

jshelton5040

RE: Time on putting a guitar together (in reply to Exitao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Exitao

Pre-production.

I was wondering what the word was for that. I was curious to ask before but I lacked the words:

How much can pre-production be applied to and, optimally, how much can it effect your total productivity?

Any job that takes a lot of setup time is a potential time waster. Don't make one neck. Make six or seven or more and save hours of time. Same with linings, tentallones, bindings, overlays, bridges, etc. I do most of my preproduction work in the summer so I can open the big overhead door on the machine shop and keep a flow of fresh air coming in. Summer before last I decided to saw out tops and after a couple of days of sawing ended up with almost 100 cedar tops. Most of them were sold to another luthier and good friend. I take great pleasure in selecting the parts for a guitar from a large stock of partially manufactured pieces. Does this bridge go well with that overlay? Setting the palest sets of cedar aside for flamencos. Matching rosewood sides and backs. Finally checking for stiffness and resonance before beginning assembly. We usually build 3-4 guitars at a time but produce only 8-10 guitars a year. I guess we're lazy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 7:26:34

Exitao

I guess when it comes to pre-production and polishing, these might be areas where having an apprentice might have been useful in times when people had to learn this craft from a master?

Now we live in an age where information is very accessible. I don't think that even 50 years ago it would have been very easy to learn on one's own, would it?

Even now, I wonder how many people would volunteer to be a part-time shop-slave to one of our forum's pro-luthiers just for the chance to learn?
I also wonder how many luthiers wouldn't take a shop-slave/apprentice simply because they are fearful of future competition? (Which I'm sure happened in older days too.)

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 10:42:58

jshelton5040

RE: Time on putting a guitar together (in reply to Exitao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Exitao

I don't think that even 50 years ago it would have been very easy to learn on one's own, would it?

I learned on my own in the early 60's. Mostly I relied on books and observation since I was already a flamenco guitarist and woodworker the opportunity to own and examine many fine guitars was most educational.
quote:

Even now, I wonder how many people would volunteer to be a part-time shop-slave to one of our forum's pro-luthiers just for the chance to learn?
I also wonder how many luthiers wouldn't take a shop-slave/apprentice simply because they are fearful of future competition? (Which I'm sure happened in older days too.)

Volunteers are much more plentiful than you might think. We have many inquiries a year for apprenticeship positions. Our attorney has told us in no uncertain terms that having an apprentice is out. You can thank the government regulators and ambulance chasing lawyers for ending apprenticeships, not fear of competition.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 14:36:17

estebanana

quote:

Our attorney has told us in no uncertain terms that having an apprentice is out.

When I was an apprentice in the bow shop my teacher and my grandmother signed an agreement and I had health insurance through another family member. If anything had happened it would have been taken care of. There must be some type of contract you could make to have a student. I would think, even in this litigious environment.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 14:51:27

Andy Culpepper

Yeah it's good to mass-produce some stuff like tentalones, linings, necks, bracewood etc. as long as you don't desperately need to finish a guitar right away.

About being a shop slave, I kind of tried to do that but my teacher pushed me more in the direction of making my own instruments.. I guess because he was so used to doing everything on his own. Luthiery can be a very solitary profession, and I think a lot of luthiers are probably dying to have someone to talk to and hang out with in the shop. Still I will never forget my teacher's generosity in basically teaching me for free. He is retired and basically builds as a hobby so I don't think he's too worried about competition.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 14:57:37

estebanana

You also don't want to study with someone worried about competition. Consciously or unconsciously they will mess with you. You have to find someone who is secure in their work.

I worked for another violin maker in Northern Virginia who had issues. He had a contract to repair all the instruments in a school district. I was the main assistant in that shop and I repaired lots and lots of student instruments. It's a good way to learn to fix cracks faster and do set up. He was a very selfish man and I was still rather young so I expected he would be as generous as my first teacher. I worked for him with the agreement that we would do all the school district instruments and then when that was cleared off every year he would guide me through building a violin. He was fairly good violin builder.

Each time we would get through the several hundred instruments he would dismiss me under some pretext. I would not get fired, he would just claim he was too busy working in his other business to teach me. He was also a concert master for a major orchestra and he was quite arrogant about it. Then he would give me other projects that I did at home. Those projects were to restore violins that would made student to mid level merchandise for his shop to sell. I would go through a violin or cello that had difficult structural problems that would cost too much to fix for what the instrument was worth and I would resurrect the dog and turn it into a good solid $1500.00 violin. Since the raw materials, the violins which were labors of love fixer uppers, were his I never saw any money from the sale. He was excellent at selling them because he was a damn good violinist. He could make a piece of **** sound like a million bucks and I was making pieces of **** into viable instruments.

After two years of doing repair work during the summer when the school district instruments were in the shop I left. He never honored the agreement and wiggled out of it every time I brought it up. Consequently I know how to do a lot of things in repair work I don't practice right now, it was good experience. It left a bad taste in my mouth however because I thought he was testing me to see if I was worthy of receiving his knowledge. He knew that is what I was thinking and he played me by talking into that reasoning. It was not a very nice thing to have done. He actually came clean one day, the day before I left, when he said something to the extent that his son was nine or ten at the time and he planned on teaching his son to build when he turned sixteen or seventeen. He never intended to work with me on construction, he only used my repair skills to help him complete the contract work for which he was paid as a lump sum.

I was able to glean a few things here and there in that shop, he was not generous, but it was really a case of me being too naive about being used. Previous to that stint I thought everyone in instrument building was altruistic and had one another's best interest in mind. At least as far as caring for and advising students. What roasts my ass about that time period is that I pulled off a couple of repair jobs that were quite cool and he had to admit I had something on the ball. One coup I had was when I returned a caved in bass top to its full arching over a period of three or four weeks. I created a press out of clamps and wedges which was quite inventive and nursed the top back into its former shape with heat and moisture.

For many years I was very bitter about having worked in that shop and not leaving sooner. I'm still of the opinion you should be open about giving information because that is what I have heard over and over from the very best people. \\

Um yeah.............

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 16:08:33

jshelton5040

quote:

There must be some type of contract you could make to have a student. I would think, even in this litigious environment.

For most of our lives Susan and I were quite enough people to fill up our small shop but now we have a fairly large shop and since I'm approaching 70 years I think it would be nice to teach the little bit I know to someone who could continue the quest so to speak. But since we live in the country and I don't really want a live in apprentice we'll probably take what little we know to the grave. No loss anyway, everything you need to know is pretty much available on the internet.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 16:24:54

Patrick

Many, many years ago I was very heavily into wood carving. I became pretty good and won several awards at World competitions. People would constantly ask how long it took to do one of my carvings. My standard answer was “twenty five years”. I don’t think many ever got what I meant.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 18:30:16

estebanana

RE: Time on putting a guitar together (in reply to Patrick

^^^^
Nice.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2010 19:35:11

Flamingrae

Wow, there are some good and very valid points here. I'll try to cover some things that I've pick up on route.
When I learnt violin making, the time estimated to put an instrument together was 100 hours. I'm not talking finishing as this can stretch the elastic a lot.
I was fortunate to learn from a few makers who taught in Juliet Barkers Summer and Easter schools in Cambridge, UK, as well as Juliet herself. There were different methods of construction shown and ways to get round different corners. Some were more eagerly taken onboard than others but it was a good melting pot to take ways that you felt you could cope with. We payed for the courses and the information was given with love and enthusiasm for what we were doing. Apart from construction, one of the main things that I learned was how to look at wood, try to judge the responses, and to put a relatively "stress free box" together. This was invaluable. I also made a few bows under the instruction of English bowmaker Brian Tunnicliffe.
These experiences translated very well over to guitar making when I finally got into this.
I've also had some less productive experiences in my other career as a jeweller, where I had to really work hard for the people that employed me - but nevertheless, looking back, I did learn although it was not so obvious at the time and I'm still grateful for what I did. These skills again translate across the board to any amount of craft based activities.
I've also had a few students that wanted to come and do a work placement with me. My rules on this were simple. You had to stay for a minimum of 6 months (if we got on) preferably for a bit longer. As long, as people understood that it would take 2 months to get the hang of things and if I was lucky they would repay with 4 months of reasonable service. During this time, I would increase the complexity of the work entrusted so they had a few interesting pieces to do - but not before they had shown some kind of skill for the basics.
The common denominator - time - does come into play, especially if you are trying to earn a living. Bills to pay are a surefire way of making sure you meet your deadlines and encourage clients to come and pick work up. It does foster what some people might call professionalism and your speed for what ever you are doing does, not surprisingly, increase. This does not mean a reduction in quality - your just getting (hopefully) better at what you do.
I love the ideas put forward about doing small batches of things in one hit. It's one way of using time wisely. Definately necks and where you have other flat thicknessing to do.
I'm sure there are others. I'm lining up a series of necks just at the mo. I must say that I have to check myself (which I'm doing now) to do this, rather than go head long into another build.
Great story Estebanna, I really enjoyed the earlier post.
I've yet to put a figure of hours on a guitar but that will come. Keep on rocking everyone.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2010 1:00:40
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post