Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to Arash

Arash,

I certainly agree with your comment about his "OK technique." I think he has just confirmed my earlier post about those who arrogantly advise others or brag about themselves actually compensating for a lack or deficit they see in themselves.

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 6:32:32

guitarristamadrid

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to BarkellWH

Hey Barkell where is your video little buddy? For all my madness and arrogance and flaws I put myself out in front of the world to be seen by all, loved or hated. And you....

.... don't even play the guitar.

Enjoy your popcorn.

Sometimes music is all you got in this world. Why do I create music? Because there was a time when I had nothing, and music kept me alive.

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 6:37:02

Grisha

Come on you guys! Break.

Evan, why do you wish for such a challenge? There are some very very fine guitarists here that have many tricks up their sleeves. Personally, I wouldn't challenge them in technique.

Plus, these days nobody cares about technique anymore. Too many guitarists around with crazy abilities. It gets old.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 6:46:19

Ailsa

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to guitarristamadrid

Hey Evan,

I've been reading your threads with interest, because you really do have fire in your belly for this. And I completely understand that you want to sieze the moment, every opportunity. As the cliche goes, no-one ever lies on their deathbed saying 'I wish I'd done more cleaning' (or whatever dull activity you can think of). So I understand your being driven to do this - it really is addictive, and I can see you have to have self-belief to make it happen.

There one thing that puzzles me though. I spent 15 years working in the recording industry and met a lot of famous musicians, actors, creative people of all sorts, and all of them - as far as I can remember - they all had some humility about their art, some questioning of themselves. In fact some are a complete mess of nerves, neuroses and paranoia!! I think that's just part of creativity. If you don't need that, that's great. Just that so many do.

Just some thoughts really.

Best

Ailsa

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 6:49:06

gj Michelob

Probably because you stirred a high level of expectation with your ‘tude, Evan, I am rather disappointed by your mundane, bland performance on your Videos. I suppose these were filmed “before” you became the perfect flamenco your didactical posts suggest.

I am looking forward to seeing you vindicate your confident statements with more (i) substance, (ii) originality and (iii) quality of tone. Will you?

Incidentally, I am a novice and plan on remaining in that category; at this juncture, however, your videos do not place you much far behind my skill level, really.

Finally, I embrace any enthusiastic introduction of one’s music or accomplishment. All here typically share a common sense of solidarity and support anyone’s efforts to improve and succeed. Your posts may need a dash of humility to read more congenially.

As far as learning form you… Even if you were the great guitarist you claim to be, I am not inspired by conceit, snobbery and self indulging praises.

With Arash… and as they say out here in California, chillax dude!

(“dude” is indeed a cowboy term, originally meaning “chief” or “boss”. It has been incorporated in the surfer’s vocabulary where it replaces the more ubiquitous locution “man”

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 6:50:07

Ailsa

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to Grisha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha
nobody cares about technique anymore. Too many guitarists around with crazy abilities. It gets old.

That is a great point Grisha. Technique I can admire and walk away from. Real musicality in playing - that stays with me and bring me back for more.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 6:53:06

guitarristamadrid

Is there anyone on this forum who has studied with a universally acknowledged flamenco master for as long as I have.

Is there anyone on this forum who has been playing eight hours or more a day for years, as I have.

Is there anyone on this forum who has been studying tocar solo, tocar por baile tocar por cante y tocar palmas under the strictest guidance of such a master, on a near daily basis, for years.

Is there anyone on this forum who has lived around and hung out with other flamencos in a place such as canorroto, for as long as I have.

Is there anyone on this forum who has had no other job or studies for the last four years, other than playing flamenco guitar.

Is there anyone else on this forum that even speaks spanish, for the love of god.

Did El Entri issue an official document to anyone else that says He is an outstanding student, an example to the others?

If the answer is no, then what makes you think I am gonna let you get away with saying this **** to me.

Sometimes music is all you got in this world. Why do I create music? Because there was a time when I had nothing, and music kept me alive.

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 6:53:58

Ron.M

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to Arash

Well Arash,

Guitarrista says these are old videos from when he first started.

He's going to post some new stuff on Friday, so let's wait and see what improvement he's made since.

@Guitarrista...Have you checked out the A/V uploads and some of the YouTube vids of some excellent players who are also members of the Foro?

Look for
Jason McGuire
Richard Marlow (Ricardo) (marRicardo)
Todd Kreuzberg (ToddK) (Guitarwizard)
and of course you already know of Grisha.

Plus many more you will get to know if you stick around.

Also amigo, you surely must know that to work as a professional guitarist, you cannot pull out a certificate and show it to an audience, or go on about how much you practise and how good you are going to be one day.

They just want you to play, then they'll form their own judgement.

From what I can tell from your two videos, you are an enthusiastic intermediate student and could learn a lot here from some of the excellent Flamenco players we have.
We also appreciate your views as an insider of the Amor de Dios school and Madrid in general.

Just relax a bit.

This stuff does get into your blood and tend to get you frustrated into playing better, so I can understand your exhuberation and impatience as will others here.

But I think your general "tone" of being a teacher etc is a bit OTT for some of the members here who are pretty good players themselves and not as "ignorant" about Flamenco as you may think.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 6:55:39

guitarristamadrid

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to Grisha

quote:

Plus, these days nobody cares about technique anymore. Too many guitarists around with crazy abilities. It gets old

I agree. And I'm glad you've figured that out.

Have you guys realized yet that I know you disapprove of me and I don't care?

I respond only to that primal force that drives me from within. I fear no man, nor will their words shake my resolve.

quote:

I am looking forward to seeing you vindicate your confident statements

And you can bet your life I will. When I resolve to do something, I do not stop until death.

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:01:21

Ailsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarristamadrid
If the answer is no, then what makes you think I am gonna let you get away with saying this **** to me.

The answer is probably no to all those points. But I'm not sure what those experiences mean in terms of how you would like to be treated.

Evan you are still quite new to this foro and you did sort of arrive rather suddenly without finding out anything about the community here and how we work. Perhaps there have been misunderstandings based on that.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:06:06

Estevan

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

(“dude” is indeed a cowboy term, originally meaning “chief” or “boss”. It has been incorporated in the surfer’s vocabulary where it replaces the more ubiquitous locution “man”

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:08:08

guitarristamadrid

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to Ron.M

Of those guys you mentioned, I like McGuire the best. Why doesn't he come down to Spain and make a living playing in tablaos in Madrid? I bet that would be an awesome experience for him, and probably the next step if he wants to take the flamenco thing farther.

Grisha is a very interesting case study, definitely a unique specimen. He's not really a classical player, not really a flamenco player. I'm not really sure who he is. He should borrow some of my arrogance and I bet the music that resulted would be way more interesting than anything he's done up til now. Grisha, listen to NIN!!!!!!!!!!!

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:11:12

guitarristamadrid

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to Ailsa

quote:

But I'm not sure what those experiences mean in terms of how you would like to be treated.

People here can treat me absolutely however they like, and I am happy to hear their opinions. But of course I am going to respond!!

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:12:38

Arash

may i introduce you the other egomaniac god which we had in the foro?

you remind me on him.

except, he was a lot better player.

and even though he was a good player, he wasn't welcomed anymore. because of his similar god like behaviour.

so what on earth makes you think, we are going to accept the same behaviour from an amateur with "ok technique" like you ?!

man, we would even react same to paco de lucia himself, if he would talk the same sh!t like you are doing nonstop in this thread. get it ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:15:24

gj Michelob

quote:

And you can bet your life I will. When I resolve to do something, I do not stop until death.

What are you smoking, dude?

May I remind you that you are on an internet blog chatting about guitar-playing, Evan? Perhaps, you should consider boxing as a more appropriate pastime for such “competitive” nature.

If you already drew the perspicacious conclusion people aren’t exactly warming up to you, yet you obviously enjoy posting here, why not endorsing some elementary rules of a more agreeable social conduct? Your posts recite well if obsessively in front of a mirror, before a fight “I am the best” I am the best” “I am the best”….. however, this is just an internet blog about flamenco guitar.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:17:46

guitarristamadrid

guys, why is no one responding to my PMs? I have sent out a bunch of really interesting ones to people, and Ron M is the only one who responded.

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:18:04

guitarristamadrid

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

What are you smoking, dude?

Seven and a half years clean, proud of every damn day.

I do do boxing and other fight-based sports. I was actually scheduled to hit the gym today.

quote:

why not endorsing some elementary rules of a more agreeable social conduct?

I know how to play all the social games, but I prefer to be real. Love me or hate, I present myself exactly as I am.

The same ugliness or beauty that is within me, is within all of us.

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:23:06

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

listen to NIN!!!!!!!!!!!

You've mentioned Trent R before. If you consider him to be a hero of sorts you should know that he used to call a local woman I know before he was famous and complain of suicidal thoughts. The guy was a mess and probably still is. What's with the nihilism (also an attribute of Trent)? Either you or the world is going to go up in flames? If you expect music--and whatever you accomplish with it--to free you from something--to set something right then you are asking too much. Why not put as much passion and effort into studying meditation and finding peace? I'm sure that will make you a better musician as well.

I watched your vids and think you are doing well--the picado vid was especially good!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:25:43

Arash

quote:

Of those guys you mentioned, I like McGuire the best. Why doesn't he come down to Spain and make a living playing in tablaos in Madrid? I bet that would be an awesome experience for him, and probably the next step if he wants to take the flamenco thing farther.

he already took the flamenco thing farther than you will ever be able to.
and he is making a living out of music already. both concerts, teaching and online lessons.

same with ricardo, he is only living out of music and teaching.

same with the others, they are living out of music.

some of them studied in spain, some of them with spanish teachers elsewhere and so on.........

man SHUT UP now, you are really getting annoying with your BS about everyone

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:25:47

gj Michelob

quote:

The same ugliness or beauty that is within me, is within all of us.

It is more a problem of mental deficiency and emotional unbalance, really, rather than merely an aesthetic issue.

However, concluding in harmony with the colloquial Californian we have adopted in these exchanges, “whatever floats your surf, dude”

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:28:29

guitarristamadrid

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

Trent Reznor used to... complain of suicidal thoughts.

Dude have you ever listened to any of his music? This is not a secret

Is there anyone on this forum who has lived life 1/1000th as fully as Trent Reznor?

quote:

Why not put as much passion and effort into studying meditation and finding peace?

I have, for many years. Peace is the highest of all things. He who has everything, but lacks peace, still craves it. But he who has peace needs nothing.

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:34:11

Ron.M

quote:

But he who has peace needs nothing.

Well, nothing......except this Table Lamp...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:36:48

XXX

Peace, dude.
I hope you can pick up flamenco again one day, and have fun with it, instead of competition let destroy yourself.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:37:14

xirdneH_imiJ

Evan, i'd like to offer very friendly advice, because i think you could become a valuable contributor to the foro in the future, there's no point defending yourself, replying to everything that's being said to you...if you stop now, "chill" as Arash says, come back later with less quantity and a bit more quality in your posts, you'll definitely be welcome...but if you go on like this (and it really doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong), you'll probably be banned from the forum for good and you (hopefully) wouldn't want that...
practice, play, contribute the best way you can...sometimes remaining silent helps you a lot more than trying to convince others of something...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:38:23

Phrygian

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

I have, for many years. Peace is the highest of all things. He who has everything, but lacks peace, still craves it. But he who has peace needs nothing.

quote:

Well, nothing......except this Table Lamp...

And a decent guitar then you're set!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:41:02

guitarristamadrid

RE: @ GuitarristaMadrid (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

Hey how come no one has taken up my offer to play for them on Skype? It seems like the real issue isn't my playing, but something far deeper

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:41:58

guitarristamadrid

Aight guys, Dave is coming over and I really need to get off the foro now.

Time to transfer the passion into music.

Good battles everyone!!! See you again soon

www.myspace.com/evancary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:46:53

Elie

could anyone tell me who is El Entri ?and why is guitarristamadrid keep talkin about him/her alot .
I play flamenco since long time and I 've never heard of him/her neither where i live or in spain .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:47:46

Kate

quote:

Is there anyone else on this forum that even speaks spanish, for the love of god.

You assume too much. Perhaps you better get to know the people on the forum a bit better before you come on so strong.

There are many of us who speak Spanish, who live or have lived in Spain, who work professionally or simply hang out in the flamenco world. I dont know how long you have lived in Spain but I dont think that matters really. This is not a competition but a foro to share our love of flamenco.

For the record I have been here 13 years and during that time I have hung out in the Poligonos, been to Gypsy weddings and funerals, toured with flamenco musicians, hung out all night at juergas, become friends with some famous and not so famous flamencos and their families.

Meanwhile I know other foro members who have been here longer and some not as long and many foro members who come to Spain at every opportunity and immerse themselves in flamenco life. And of course there are foro members who do not have that opportunity but here we are all equal, sharing our love and our experience of flamenco.

You obviously have a strong sense of yourself, not a bad thing for a musician as life is tough. I should know having been married to one for 26 years ! But my advice would be to chanta la mui and get to know everyone a bit better before taking on the whole foro and proclaiming yourself the next flamenco phenomenon. They are good bunch of people and very supportive of each other as a rule.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:48:48

kozz

quote:

Hey how come no one has taken up my offer to play for them on Skype? It seems like the real issue isn't my playing, but something far deeper

Would you play the tremelo part in Recuerdo a Almeria by Sabicas?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2010 7:52:06
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post