Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: What's your opinion about bullfighting?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

HemeolaMan

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to yohan

my question is: Why would you bother?

It's way easier to not jump in a ring with an angry animal. If it was about feeding a village anymore then they'd just kill it respectfully like most people who have to kill things do.

I have nothing against it, it certainly doesn't seem like an interesting or valuable part of life to me but then again I don't particularly care for gangs, rap music or fried foods either.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2010 10:01:09

Ricardo

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to yohan

Since a kid I have always tried to think logically about this stuff. Try to see both angles, and even try to imagine what it is like to BE the animal that is gonna get killed or eaten. It can be horrifying and heartbreaking to think about. After a lot of thought I came to realize, we may be humans, but we are still animals. Animals born of mother earth the same as the rest. We share the same fate one and all: birth, reproduction (optional good part of life), suffering (to some degree or other. Hopefully short life span in this sense is better), and death.

And animals use other animals and plants all the time, in order to live and survive. Plants sometimes feed on animals too. And yeah in every case sorry, you DON"T want be a gazelle running from a lion in africa anymore then you would want to be a kentucky fried chicken. And lets not even approach the horrors of the insect world. Parasites, oh so sad to kill them when the just want food for their babies?

So we are humans born of earth with bigger brains so we can produce plastic for mother earth since it does not appear naturally in supernovae. And after we have produced enough we will become extinct like all the rest. Meanwhile we can glorify a bull for giving it's life for us to eat in fancy artistic display, and even give it special fighting chance. No creature in nature that is out to consume our flesh or use us for it's own needs would do the same for us. So, at least since plastic is NOT biodegradable we can pretend that we are some how more important than other living things spawned from this little planet.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2010 14:10:10

fevictor

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to HemeolaMan

While I agree that we are human and we have animal instincts and desires, that doesnt necesarily give us the right to do what we want.

Imagine if everybody bought into that?? We would have men raping women, the strong beating on the weak, and anybody would be free to torture anybody! but hey, we are just animals on the inside

What sets us apart is our ability to control ourselves and form societies and govern ourselves. Otherwise, it would just be anarchy.

Oh and Im pretty sure that if insects had their own little McDonalds they would just sit around and get fat and leave every other little bug alone

Vic
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2010 15:15:45

Exitao

quote:

ORIGINAL: HemeolaMan

my question is: Why would you bother?

It's way easier to not jump in a ring with an angry animal. If it was about feeding a village anymore then they'd just kill it respectfully like most people who have to kill things do.

I have nothing against it, it certainly doesn't seem like an interesting or valuable part of life to me but then again I don't particularly care for gangs, rap music or fried foods either.

It's interesting you threw gangs into this post. Some gang activities are relevantly similar from a sociological/anthropological point of view:

People jump into a ring with a bull as a test of manhood. The same reason exists for part of gang violence.

fevictor:

Instinct only accounts for 10% of human activity.

I would suggest that we are very unnatural. Much of our "civilised" growth is about overcoming nature.
While some people say that being civilised means we overcome our base desires and instincts I've often thought that much of our civilised behaviours were a reflection of some unnatural pathology unique to our species.

Anthropologists have observed that Monkeys have wars, and murder and rape. But they don't have torture.

That's uniquely ours.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2010 17:17:59

Arash

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to fevictor

2 or 3 weeks ago, i saw in german news that a bullfighter was killed (or very badly injured? , i don't remember exactly) in plaza del toros.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 0:57:21

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to Arash

Perhaps I should point out, for the culturally challenged, that the English word "bullfight" is not a translation, or even close to the Spanish "corrida de toros". Similarly, "bullfighter" has nothing to do with the Spanish "matador de toros". The cultures are completely different.

Suerte

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 7:39:58

Ricardo

quote:

We would have men raping women, the strong beating on the weak, and anybody would be free to torture anybody!

uh news flash...that IS going on as we speak. Wish it were not but why is it happening if we are all above it?

In any case, my point is that either doing the moral thing, or the animalistic thing are both 'human' and therefore "natural" choices and ways to be. Inside each of us our brains are big and evolved above the other animals type brains, but it surrounds the smaller, older, "reptilian" brain. Living with both natural tendencies is at the heart of our problems living in harmony with nature and ourselves. Can we truly sit back and allow animals to use other animals, just because WE can TRY to avoid using other animals?? (thanks to plastic I think somehow).

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 8:38:57

fevictor

quote:

uh news flash...that IS going on as we speak. Wish it were not but why is it happening if we are all above it?

Of course its going on...what I meant is that if we by into the whole "we are just animals" thing it would be out of control...ok, more so than it already is.

In my opinion, being civilised is being held accountable. Just like having a "civilised" conversation. Lets be honest; the only reason we dont do more harm in this world is because we have laws that govern us. Look at these third world countries that are lacking in laws and police - most are too dangerous to visit.

I personally take pride in being able to control my "animal" urges and not punch somebody just because they piss me off, not steal, be honest, hardworking, etc... Its no coincidence that most of the thugs that you see on Cops and on these TV shows, living in trailer parks and shooting each other over the slightest thing have little or no schooling or education, and probably noone around that showed them right from wrong...how to be "civil".

How many honest lions and hienas do you think youll find roaming Africa??

I know nothing about anthropology and this is all my opinion, obviously.

How about the gladiators during the Roman Empire? That was their culture and you cant get much more animal than that. What do all the bullfight aficionados think about that? Should we bring the gladiator days back?

Vic
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 8:56:57

Arash

well, to see uncivilized and animal behaviour, you don't need to go to 3rd world countries or go back in history.

just go to executive floor of one of the banks in the first world countries.

the difference is: they come with a suit and a big smile and nuke your complete whole life in just a second through an enter button on their PC.

or if you think banks are ok, then go to one of the secret meetings of the politicans of the "clean" 1st world countries. I don't think that you would find more animality anywhere else.
the difference is: it is hidden through a nice package of lies !

another thing is: we have so many humans sufferings. so many children dying because of hunger.
and then you see people buying dog food and dog doctor for 500 dollars each month, whereas they could do it with 50 dollars and save 10 children HUMAN lives each month instead .............. so many double standards around ....

i don't like bullfighting (sorry Sean, i don't know what to call it in english) , but there are so many bigger problems which should be solved first that i think it is not necessary to point a finger at some people whith a "questionable" culture, etc.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 9:20:49

Rain

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to Arash

I agree with what Arash has stated 100%

Free Palestine
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 9:29:19

fevictor

Lots of good points Arash, I see what you mean. But thats going a little extreme, though. I was just talking about an individual outlook on animal insticts and behavior, like anger, lust, rage and so on.

We could go on for hours about corporate corrutpion and everything thats wrong with this world and how we are just animals. All Im saying is that we shouldnt by into that frame of thinking and thereby excuse our actions. There are always going to be bad people in this world and weak people that are easily influenced, which is the most dangerous combination.

I guess weve gone a bit off topic so Ill just leave it at that.

Vic
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 11:21:25

Alatriste

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

Hello, Alatriste,

Just curious, is that your real name, or did you take it from Arturo Perez-Reverte's novels about the 17th century hero-swordsman Captain Diego Alatriste?

Cheers,

Bill

I have read most of APR's books. I like Club Dumas the best, though Queen of the South was also pretty good. I have not seen the Alatriste movie. I hope it was good. Viggo is perfect for the part, especially since he is bilingual.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 12:38:19

Alatriste

If you are interested in bullfighting, you may want to read Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway. It is a non-fiction book. I don't really like Hemingway's fiction, but this non-fiction book of his was really good. If you are in the US and want to see some world class bullfighting, I would suggest two pre-Lenten festivals held in Mexico. These are in the small towns of (1) Autlan de la Granja and (2) Jalostitlan. Both of these festivals are very famous and bring in bullfighters from all over the world - France, Spain, South America, etc. There are even bullfighters from the US (who train/fight in Spain and Mexico) who participate in these festivals.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 12:44:26

fevictor

You know, I may not like bullfighting and I may applaud when the bull throws the matador around, but I just saw a terrible picture this morning which I thought Id share with you guys. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy and I really hope that the matador comes out ok.

This picture made the front page of one of the cheesiest newspapers in Costa Rica, and Im sure the rest of latin amercia. The matadors name is Julio Aparicio and this happened at Plaza de Toros de las Ventas, in Madrid.

Vic

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2010 8:14:16

Exitao

Wow... I'm sure that aside from the gaping hole beneath his chin, he lost more than a few teeth too when that came out.

I thought nothing could make me flinch more than seeing someone take one to the gut or groin...

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2010 22:28:35

keith

i have mixed feelings about bullfighting. personally if it was just one guy one bull and a fight to the finish then maybe i would be 100% supportive of the contest. hey, if someone wants to go that route that is their decision. i suspect there would be a lot less fights. with all the bull has to go through it seems to be rather too one sided against the bull. but, as the video shows, sometimes the bull does pull off a short lived victory. check out the video in the link.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/gored_matador_gets_spain_and_suffering_uKtLPXB9Snnc3d4BRNZPUN
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2010 5:14:37

Leendert

Without getting into a heated debate with anyone, my opinion is that I feel it`s animal torture and therefore I think it`s wrong. And no, I am not a tree hugger, but I am a vegetarian, solely for those reasons. I think it`s everyone`s personal beliefs to believe and support what they think is right, and this is just my opinion.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 14:07:07

El Camino

Its sick . As one Aussie put it to me : we f....ing ride em mate , we dont prance around looking gay sticking knives into em
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2010 14:48:15

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to El Camino

Australians are, of course, well known for their high level of cultural appreciation

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2010 6:15:26

Ron.M

RE: What's your opinion about bullfi... (in reply to El Camino

quote:

we f....ing ride em mate

That's just begging the standard reply...

"Well, (insert nationality) would ride anything.." (joke )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2010 6:40:21
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll