Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

New toy   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

New toy 

I can never have enough cameras. This is a very special DSLR as it does things almost impossible on a camcorder under £10,000 (full-frame cine 35mm, 24fps, great low light and shallow depth of field with interchangeable lenses)

Anyway, here is my first shoot (at 720p 50fps rather than the full HD, then conformed to 24 fps to get the slo-mo).

And a still of our cat

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2010 6:14:04

Ron.M

RE: New toy (in reply to Escribano

Hi Escribano,

I'm not an experienced camera critic, but the results certainly look stunning to me.

I know it's essentially a "stills" camera, but what is the maxium time-length you can make a good quality movie clip for just using all the in-built gubbins?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2010 6:40:46

Escribano

RE: New toy (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

what is the maxium time-length you can make a good quality movie clip for just using all the in-built gubbins?

12 minute clips - limited by EU import laws on stills cameras but unlimited storage - as big as your memory card. I very rarely grab a clip over 12 minutes in one take so it's manageable.

Having said that, it is a nightmare to use as it's all manual, no autofocus in video and if you want to keep the same shutter speed and ISO (which you do) - they have to be manual as well. You can't focus through the viewfinder in video, so you have to focus on the LCD screen and understand the relationships between shutter speed, frame rates, ISO, aperture etc.

I am hooked on getting more out of this little baby but it is not easy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2010 6:53:09

Francisco

Incredible video quality, my friend. You couldn't go wrong with the 550D. Very nice camera. What lens did you use? Oh, btw, I think the T2i has a crop sensor.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2010 11:35:23

Escribano

RE: New toy (in reply to Francisco

quote:

Incredible video quality, my friend.

Thanks, that was first time out and it took ages to figure out all the workflow in Final Cut but I think I got it now.

quote:

What lens did you use?

I bought a used Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro. The kit lens was crap, but cheaper than buying just the body from Amazon. I got the camera on Friday and couldn't wait to get some better glass.

quote:

Oh, btw, I think the T2i has a crop sensor.

In photography terms, you are absolutely correct but the APC-S sensor is closer to the 35mm motion picture frame size than the full-frame 5D, for example.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2010 13:02:37

Francisco

ah...i see. I'm not very fluent w/ video.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2010 16:28:41

HolyEvil

WOW.. 10000 pounds camera!! sweet... just don't drop it =)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2010 18:03:19

Arash

that video and the pic look awesome.
i am not familiar with technical issues of photography, camcorder, etc. but that little video you made looks as good as some professional clip which you see on TV.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2010 22:53:05

Escribano

RE: New toy (in reply to Arash

quote:

that little video you made looks as good as some professional clip which you see on TV.

Well thank you Arash, that is a compliment indeed.

I have also fixed the embedded YouTube code here so it is larger, it will play HD automatically, if available and full-screen is enabled.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 8:36:42

sean65

Treat yourself to the 50mm f1.2. and you can forget about available light photography, you'll be shooting in available darkness. lol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 10:49:51

Pimientito

That looks great. Does that come with the 18 - 55mm or 18 - 135mm lens?
I've just done a quick search on Amazon and they are retailing for 694.98 (UK) with the 55mm lens and 952.98 with the 135 mm lens. Do you mind if we know how much you paid for it? The image quality looks amazing! Digital SLR seems to be a third of the price of a only a couple of years ago.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 10:53:35

Escribano

RE: New toy (in reply to sean65

quote:

Treat yourself to the 50mm f1.2. and you can forget about available light photography, you'll be shooting in available darkness

So I heard but another £1000 is a bit out of my budget just now!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 10:54:09

Escribano

RE: New toy (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

I've just done a quick search on Amazon and they are retailing for 694.98 (UK) with the 55mm lens and 952.98 with the 135 mm lens. Do you mind if we know how much you paid for it?

I bought the 18-55mm kit from Amazon at that price, which is cheaper than the body only (go figure). Then I dumped the kit lens for a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 that I got at a good price in town. For video, I am looking for wide and fast glass.

The kit lens is a bit crappy but you can always knock yourself out buying Canon L lenses .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 11:23:31

sean65

quote:

So I heard but another £1000 is a bit out of my budget just now!

Some of the old 50mm 1.8 primes lens are fantastic quality. Don't be put off by the low price tags.

I use a 50mm 1.8 £70 lens on my Nikon D3. It's shockingly sharp.

I'd love to mess around with the video function with an extra wide aperture, you could get some pretty cool cinematic out of focus effects.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 12:10:15

Escribano

quote:

Some of the old 50mm 1.8 primes lens are fantastic quality.

Yep, I've got the Canon 50mm 1.8 prime on order - it's under £100 and gets rave reviews.

quote:

I'd love to mess around with the video function with an extra wide aperture, you could get some pretty cool cinematic out of focus effects.

This kind of stuff? Here's the 35mm 24fps cine look on a 7D - same sensor as the 550D. Try it on full screen. If you are inspired we can compare notes.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 12:18:56

sean65

Cool, you'll enjoy the 50mm. I think it works out about 75mm on your camera.

Unfortunately my Nikon SLR's don't shoot video.

The the shot I imagined was in a desert with this blurred character wearing a hat with something slung over his shoulder. The desert heat creating ripples as the character walks closer and comes into focus....

It's Escribano with his guitar slung casually over his shoulder and a cigar in his his mouth.... lol (spaghetti style).

It's really easy to get up to speed with digital SLR's. You can keep trying every function and setting and comparing the result etc... without the worry of development costs. Just keep shooting test shots and then delete all the duff frames.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 13:13:31

Francisco

Yea, you won't regret buying the 50/1.8. Speaking of deserts, that reminds me of this video I saw a few months ago that really piqued my interest in DSLR video. I searched for it on youtube, and guess what? I found it! : ))
Here it is. Shot completely on the 5DII
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2010 16:41:31

trudgiano

Some chap was talking about this on Digital Planet on the BBC world service this morning. No wonder it's catching on if these cameras are capable of producing such fantastic quality video. It boggles the mind when you consider how an enormous camcorder with a separate battery was not long ago needed just to record terible VHS video.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2010 2:05:21

Escribano

RE: New toy (in reply to Francisco

quote:

Here it is. Shot completely on the 5DII

I saw this too - because the audio is rubbish on these cameras (I use a Rode Vic) and stills photographers are doing a lot of the experimenting, there is often no sound. Like a hi-def, colour silent movie revolution. Another kind of art form of beautiful moving imagery.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2010 4:44:35

sean65

Strangely enough, I spotted this bit of news today.

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/09/house-season-finale-filmed-entirely-with-canon-5d-mark-ii/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2010 12:19:54

Escribano

quote:

Strangely enough, I spotted this bit of news today.

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/09/house-season-finale-filmed-entirely-with-canon-5d-mark-ii/

Thanks for that. You gotta watch this from the same blog. Now this cinematographer knows what he is doing. Sheesh!

http://vimeo.com/10570139?hd=1

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2010 13:48:47

Escribano

RE: New toy (in reply to trudgiano

quote:

Some chap was talking about this on Digital Planet on the BBC world service this morning.

Yeah, that's Philip Bloom, thanks for the heads-up - I got the podcast. Very timely.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2010 14:00:08

sean65

It's interesting that the top guns (Nikon & Canon) started doing this. I'm pretty sure it's borne out of the idea that professional photojournalists were being pressured to move to moving images to secure their survival and wanted to stick to a format (SLR camera) that they were most comfortable with.

I'm a BIG fan of the power of the still image, but I have seen presentations where the SLR's with video capability was deployed to shoot still images but also shoot the odd interview to lend some weight to the presentation.

I could be a wealthy man by now if only I'd had a video facility on my cameras. Two years ago in Switzerland I had a senior british royal call me a 'F*** idiot' as I took his picture.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2010 0:36:47

Pimientito

quote:

Two years ago in Switzerland I had a senior british royal call me a 'F*** idiot' as I took his picture.

Definately the Duke of Edinburgh then

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2010 0:41:28

Escribano

quote:

I'm pretty sure it's borne out of the idea that professional photojournalists were being pressured to move to moving images to secure their survival and wanted to stick to a format (SLR camera) that they were most comfortable with.

I worked with Associated Newspapers in 2008 for a year and the regional picture desks were under pressure to go online with more than just the standard editorial i.e. video clips. However, 720p is more than enough for the web, so it doesn't explain 1080p 24fps (the somewhat suspect minimum requirement for digital filmmakers, as this can be done in post and is intended for telecine to film anyway).

Philip Bloom (in the BBC podcast) proposes the evolution of the sensor in the DSLR as the desire to preview the images in higher definition. Eventually, they got to HD, found they could leave the shutter up and record at 2K (48Mbps) speeds. With the 35mm format and interchangeable SLR lenses, this was enough for the filmmakers to get really interested and they started to dump their video cameras with 35mm spinning ground glass adapters for the HDSLRs (large sensor, low light, shallow DOF with interchangeable wide and fast lenses)

Stills guys are meeting them in the middle with their imagery.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2010 0:57:12

sean65

RE: New toy (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Definately the Duke of Edinburgh then

lol No surprisingly, one of his grandsons.

I remember all the hype from these guys claiming they were going to blow both Canon and Nikon off the face of the planet.

Nothing really materialised.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2010 9:10:17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote