Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Electronic Device to Break in Stringed Instruments   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Pgh_flamenco

Electronic Device to Break in String... 

Has anyone heard about the ToneRite? I know people used to put small speakers on their electric guitars and let the speaker vibrate the wooden body for months on end to break in electric guitars but I wasn't aware of a device for sale that does this.

http://tonerite.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/technology/05tonerite.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2010 6:44:34

Ron.M

RE: Electronic Device to Break in St... (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

Or maybe place a "Pure Earth Spiritually-Charged Crystal" in the case?

I'm always pretty suspicious of gizmos like this unless I can personally test them... or witness a controlled experiment myself.

I find stuff which appeals to "instinctive" or "intuitive" human logic, always a bit iffy myself...

Buy it for a bit of fun if you have the dough, but don't be surprised if the results are disappointing.

In my experience these kind of products usually carry a disclaimer based on "subjective" results...ie "If you don't notice an improvement then your money back, however results will vary widely depending on how the product is used and what it is used on and no claims can be made against this..."

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2010 8:00:15

gj Michelob

RE: Electronic Device to Break in St... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

but don't be surprised if the results are disappointing.

There are similar devices to "age" wine and wood, and even Bill Clinton obliged such whim to age his appearance -back in the days- by having the famous NY hairstylist Fekkai, whiten his hair.

Time is the sole device I trust. My new German Vazquez Rubio sounded dull when i first recieved it. German confidently assured me that it would take no less than six months to "open up". These last few days, six months later in fact, it sounds so cogenially awesome I have finally fallen in love with it.

I agree with Ron, being old school about certain things: whether it is a meat-bolognese sauce (requiring 12 hours on a low flame), a good cigar in your humidor, a Silver Oak cabernet or a flamenco guitar, time will reward patience tenfold.

On the other hand, those accelerated overgrown vegetables some formers manage to genetically manipulate have lost their fragrance, the flavor only time and attention can develop. Hence, my humbe take is: keep your guitars, "Organic"....

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2010 8:29:28

edguerin

With the short life-span of most electronic devices in mind the thread might be
electronic device, to break (with)in stringed instruments ...

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2010 9:04:58

Patrick

Guys...don't be too fast to discount something you may not be aware of and its possibilities.

I am experimenting with the unit as we speak and will write a full review soon.

I was very skeptical as you all are, but I did a bunch of investigation before buying one. You can find something like a hundred pages on the Collins guitar forum about the Tonerite. You better have several hours to read all of it…it’s a bunch of info. It seems two camps have broken out. The first group is the ones that have used the unit and swear by it. The second group is the ones that say it can’t work and is a total waste of time and money, but of course they haven’t even used it.

Many in the Violin community have had great success stories. There is also a bunch of info on the Mandolin Cafe forum. It seems mandolins really respond to the unit.

The folks that designed it are just working with existing studies done in the past that utilize vibrations to open a musical instrument up. The first thing you have to agree on is the concept of an instrument “opening up”. If you don’t agree with this, a Tonerite is not in your future.

I have had it running on my Aaron Green negra for about two weeks. Is it a totally different guitar? No…but I can tell you; something is definitely going on to the positive. I ran it on my DeVoe for several days and didn’t notice any difference, but I didn’t really expect to, as this guitar is five years old and well played.

The thing is built like a tank and should run forever. They have a 30-day money back guarantee with no questions asked. According to the folks at Tonerite, they have not had one returned.

I have read several threads on various forums and they all start out the same way. Someone says, “Have you used a Tonerite”? After that, everybody lambaste the thing as a Pipe Dream and a waist of time. Then someone comes in with good solid information, and things start to drift in a different direction, but of course, there will always be nonbelievers, but that’s their right.

To be totally honest, if this thread hadn’t started, I was likely not going to say a thing about it, as I knew I was going to open a big can of worms, and I don’t have the time or patience to deal with it. But now that it’s started, I will be more than happy to share what I can.

More to come in a couple of weeks.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2010 13:39:24

GuitarVlog

I chatted with James who works with Eric Schoenberg at his guitar shop. They've been testing the Tonerite since they received a sample at the LMII Guitar Festival.

The verdict is that it works on some guitars but not all, and it works to varying degrees. In general, if the instrument already has the potential to open-up well (like a good luthier-built instrument), then the Tonerite will probably accelerate that process. If the instrument has limited potential (like a factory-made instrument), then the Tonerite will deliver little or no results.

There's a question that the Tonerite raises with regards to its effect on the longevity of the guitar. Its vibrations are supposed to mimic the effect of playing-in the instrument. Guitars are technically machines and supposedly reach their peak after 30 years of regular use. It's unclear whether and to what extent the Tonerite will accelerate wear on the instrument. We may not care anyway since we probably replace our instruments well before 30 years have passed.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2010 14:41:32

Patrick

Here are the links to the Collins site:

http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/94760485/m/941101681

http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6681010672/m/664108661

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2010 14:58:00

HemeolaMan

Brad, former owner now consultant from strings by mail, uses one on his guitar and he is quite happy with it.

I might buy one for mine because i can definitely feel and hear the difference in my castillo after i play it for a few days consistently.

It would be ideal for me because i take long stretches of time without playing that guitar because i am busy playing electric or mixing for something or at school.

I do like the way my guitar sounds on day 3, and for 150 bucks, it will probably ebay for 120 if i dont like it! lol.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2010 19:21:33

Patrick

quote:

We may not care anyway since we probably replace our instruments well before 30 years have passed.

Or die! Man I'm 59 years old!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2010 13:37:13

[Deleted] (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2010 13:14:13

Patrick

quote:

Patrick - please do post back in the coming months on your impressions of this device.

I will, but I'm a crusty old coot and anybody starts in on the BS about this unit and I''ll pull the plug.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2010 17:30:53

kozz

RE: Electronic Device to Break in St... (in reply to Patrick

Hee Patrick,
any impressions yet on the machine?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2010 6:34:28

Patrick

quote:

Hee Patrick,
any impressions yet on the machine?

Yes.....very, very interesting, but I'm not ready to let the cat out of the bag yet!

Let's just say....stay tuned sports fans.

More in a couple of weeks.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2010 8:06:52
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote