Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Guitar Longevity   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to XXX

quote:

The meaning of a word lies ALWAYS in the thought of the guy who is expressing it. You can see this humorous statements, where words are deliberately used against its common meaning.
Keep it coming, Ron!

Take it easy Deniz!

Don't get yourself all worked up into a lather over this, man...

It's only a bloody discussion!

Take a stroll in the park or something if it's a nice day.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2010 8:20:57

Andy Culpepper

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to Ron.M

I never paid much attention to this issue until I started building guitars, but I definitely think guitars change and improve over time with lots of playing. I think probably 90% of luthiers agree with this because they have all freaked out when their new guitar that they just built sounds like **** until they play it for a few days and it has already started to improve. It definitely happened to me, my guitar was very up and down for the first 3 weeks or so.
I can say for certain that the volume of my guitar has increased and it has become more responsive, especially after a dance rehearsal day. The tone is now stable from day to day, no dull days like there were in the beginning.

My teacher just finished a classical guitar that at first had a very dull and "thuddy" A string and a bit of a quack on the D string. He gave it to the player in the white to play for a few days. It came back and the irregularities were completely gone! After changing the strings, they came back but very breifly and the guitar sounded totally even after a few minutes.
There's no doubt that guitars change over time and that sometimes dull notes can get played out if the guitar is made well. These things are very important to professionals (especially classical players) and the player noticed the change as well.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2010 8:32:25

a_arnold

quote:

How come these changes are always POSITIVE?

Here's a theory: What if playing the guitar has nothing to do with it becoming "played in"? What if some makers sometimes use woods that aren't as well cured as they might be, and the drying out/seasoning process continues after the guitar is sold? So then the buyer notices change during the first few months while it dries out and adjusts to the buyer's home environment?

Here's another theory -- a testable one: Do people who live in dry environments (say, a northern climate in the winter) tend to report more improvement with time/playing while people who live (or keep the guitar) in humid environments notice less change?

Or: If a luthier in a dry environment ships to a buyer in a humid environment, is the buyer less likely to report improvement?

I bought a new Salvador Castillo from Paracho (which is notoriously humid) and play it in a relatively dry, humidity controlled house. It improved hugely. I also once bought a new Manuel de la Chica from a dry Mediterranean climate, and played it in the humid Washington DC environment -- didn't hear ANY improvement. It was a great guitar, but it didn't improve with time.

Maybe this is why there is so much variability in opinions on "playing in". Maybe it has nothing to do with playing the guitar and everything to do with humidity changes at the time of purchase.

Just a thought.

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2010 17:56:20

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2010 5:37:02

Richard Jernigan

I wonder what the units of measurement are on the chart in the article? Without the units, the chart is meaningless.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2010 10:50:51

Exitao

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to a_arnold

Hmmm... threadjacked. Was this where the tutorial was supposed to be?

I am a bit curious about aged flamencos and if they are truly played out and what can be restored. If the soundboard has been too weakened because of too vigorous playing, I guess that's that. But how can a potential buyer know what to look for to know if there's any chance a good repair person can save it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: a_arnold

quote:

How come these changes are always POSITIVE?

Here's a theory: What if playing the guitar has nothing to do with it becoming "played in"? What if some makers sometimes use woods that aren't as well cured as they might be, and the drying out/seasoning process continues after the guitar is sold? So then the buyer notices change during the first few months while it dries out and adjusts to the buyer's home environment?

Here's another theory -- a testable one: Do people who live in dry environments (say, a northern climate in the winter) tend to report more improvement with time/playing while people who live (or keep the guitar) in humid environments notice less change?

Or: If a luthier in a dry environment ships to a buyer in a humid environment, is the buyer less likely to report improvement?

I bought a new Salvador Castillo from Paracho (which is notoriously humid) and play it in a relatively dry, humidity controlled house. It improved hugely. I also once bought a new Manuel de la Chica from a dry Mediterranean climate, and played it in the humid Washington DC environment -- didn't hear ANY improvement. It was a great guitar, but it didn't improve with time.

Maybe this is why there is so much variability in opinions on "playing in". Maybe it has nothing to do with playing the guitar and everything to do with humidity changes at the time of purchase.

Just a thought.

OK, here are some more thoughts:

If the wood was not sufficiently cured, I think that the odds are good that this would be bad for the guitar. However, there could be a difference between optimally cured and sufficiently cured for use.
I don't know, you could have a point.

The wood was supposed to be cured. But when the surface of the guitar is being finished, some moisture must penetrate the wood.

Once the exterior has hardened, the interior of the body has to wick what the wood absorbed. This could take time... can any luthier give a good guess how long?

And then there are the variables mentioned in the article Shroomy linked:
the effects of vibrations on the flexibility of the wood, the finish and even the glues.

It seems really hard to quantify some values and rule out confounds in any research applied to this subject.
Ron has a good point though when he asks "why are the changes always good?"
This question points to possible confounds. Is it not possible that as a person "breaks in a guitar" they are really just learning to get the best out of their guitar? (i.e. the guitar is breaking the player in?)

Just like people who try new strings and say they don't like the sound initially, but when they "settled in they sounded" good and now they are their favorite strings.
How much is simply the player being acclimatised to the sound? Do they still dislike the strings for the first few days every time they restring?
In psychology, they have something called the proximity effect, repeated exposure to a person can change your attitudes (eventual attraction to a person not initially your type, or even vice versa).
Could the same principle not also apply to guitars?

BTW: I'm not making any arguments, just asking questions. Which is the real point of research. Answer one question to get new questions to justify new research grants. :-P

I think the debating is great. Very educational. I just hope everyone can keep it up without getting angry.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2010 22:17:03

Jeff Highland

In the thicknesses of wood we are using on the body of a guitar, the wood reaches its Equilibrium Moisture Content (EMC)very quickly. This EMC is dependent on the relative humidity in which it is kept.
And I am talking hours and days here.
The danger with building in a humid climate and then bringing the finished instrument into a dry environment is that the wood shrinks across the grain but is restrained by the crossbracing and the instrument cracks or has its face go concave.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2010 22:38:31

krichards

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to Exitao

quote:

Is it not possible that as a person "breaks in a guitar" they are really just learning to get the best out of their guitar?

I've made this point repeatedly but it seems its sacrilege to suggest it. It seems much more likely than any other factor to me.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2010 23:50:59

Exitao

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to krichards

quote:

ORIGINAL: krichards

quote:

Is it not possible that as a person "breaks in a guitar" they are really just learning to get the best out of their guitar?

I've made this point repeatedly but it seems its sacrilege to suggest it. It seems much more likely than any other factor to me.

Oh. Well then, I'm going to withdraw my suggestion now so that I can join in on your stoning.

I guess if you wanted to try to eliminate that possibility, you'd need to have at least couple different players play before and after a breaking in or opening up period, in a studio setting with the same equipment and settings.

Or perhaps one player who only ever plays it those two times, for the test.

Because the owner of a guitar might not be objective enough.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2010 23:57:28

Ricardo

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to krichards

quote:

ORIGINAL: krichards

quote:

While I admit that humidity, player's technique, even string brand or age can spoil the whole concept of a "test" or any science, the thing is I would tend to agree with YOUR point, had I not experienced the "breaking in phenomena" as an outside observer. Like you I would be skeptical with my OWN guitar and playing. Meaning, I saw guitars break in that were not mine, and the test was instant, I did not get a chance to change my playing with the guitars, or "get used to" the instruments in question.

I will say this again, anyone want to test this thing that doubts, simply give your instrument to a professional Rumbero or one that plays hard and everyday with a lot of energy and feeling and strong attack. After a few months get the guitar back, and regardless of your own technique abilities you will notice a change in your instrument....for the better.

But this assumes, once again, you don't have a major change in any of the 3 variables I first mentioned: significant humidity change, your personal playing changes drastically on its own in the intervening months, and you use the same strings brand and freshness as before the experiment.

Remember your guitar used to be part of a living thing, and is affected by how you treat it and it's environment, no matter how old or aged it is. Simple fact is guitars need to be PLAYED or they won't sound as good. And it doesn't matter if it is YOU playing it or someone else, so long as the playing is good intended and with good feeling.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 9:46:16

Arash

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

I will say this again, anyone want to test this thing that doubts, simply give your instrument to a professional Rumbero or one that plays hard and everyday with a lot of energy and feeling and strong attack. After a few months get the guitar back, and regardless of your own technique abilities you will notice a change in your instrument....for the better.

where to find a pro. rumbero , who will play my guitar daily , just for me to "break it in" ?

this could be a good business idea for rumberos:

guitar breaking in service:
10 days - free trial
3 months - 100 hours of hard playing - 300 dollars
6 months - 200 hours of hard playing - 500 dollars
with money back guaranty
if your guitar doesn't break in, you get your money back

---

joking aside, i don't know how significantly the change is ( i can only say that i have recognised a small change on my guitar , but this for sure), but anyway i bought a japanese flamenco factory guitar from a rumbero very cheap last year (it had also an ugly white golpeador) and many scratches. But this guy used to play this guitar regurarly and HEAVILY. All i can say is that i don't think that this guitar (when it was New) sounded anywhere near what it sounded, when i bought it. I bet what you said happened to this guitar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 10:41:13

Patrick

quote:

where to find a pro. rumbero , who will play my guitar daily , just for me to "break it in" ?

It's called a Tonerite.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 17:36:54

cathulu

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to Patrick

NOOOOOOO..... Not this **** again!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 21:02:29

cathulu

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to Guest

quote:

Interesting stuff.

Here is an interesting article regarding the scientific side of this subject:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advice/vibration.shtml

Of course, more tests should be conducted under a more controlled environment and with better testing equipment.

Check it out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh yessss, the straight line was the frequency response of the wood before the shaking table! OMG! What a load of rubbish that article was!!!!!!!

See my previous post!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2010 21:09:18

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Remember your guitar used to be part of a living thing, and is affected by how you treat it and it's environment, no matter how old or aged it is. Simple fact is guitars need to be PLAYED or they won't sound as good. And it doesn't matter if it is YOU playing it or someone else, so long as the playing is good intended and with good feeling.

Ayyy Ricardo, you are getting all hollistic and romantic now. This I like. Especially this with the good intended playing.

Besides, I agree totally with what you say in your post. The more you play and the harder you play, the better the guitar sounds, and this goes for other stringed wooden instruments as well (Violins, Cellos).

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2010 0:03:52

Richard Jernigan

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh yessss, the straight line was the frequency response of the wood before the shaking table! OMG! What a load of rubbish that article was!!!!!!! "

At first, the chart threw me for a few moments. What the chart seems to show is the _difference_ between the initial response and the post-treatment response. In other words, the initial response is subtracted from the post-treatment response, and the resulting difference is plotted. When the initial response is subtracted from itself, the result is zero across the frequency band, a straight line as indicated.

My objection is that no units of measurement were specified on the chart. The change could be microscopic, or it could be clearly audible--the chart doesn't say.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2010 5:35:49

estebanana

Here one thing you can do to see how guitars change in the moment:

Take a guitar and play it for an hour to 90 minutes and get yourself all warmed up. Make sure your hands and ears are working together and you're hitting the sweet spots in that guitar. Then pick up a guitar that has not been played for a few days and see if you perceive that it needs to be played a few minutes to do it's thing. You might have to do this several times on different day to come to a conclusion.

Most importantly STOP READING GUITAR MAGAZINES! to learn about guitars. That stuff is mostly pure crap.

sorry for yelling.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2010 8:42:08

cathulu

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Yes, you are right. Basically the flat line is the x-axis, where magnitude = 0. It is not the frequency response, the language is wrong.

I ask only one thing: Is that the signature of a good guitar? IMHO it is quite obvious that it is! Right? You can see it clearly! It is much better than before. And it never gets worse...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2010 18:54:59

krichards

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to Anders Eliasson

O
quote:

The more you play and the harder you play, the better the guitar sounds

Of course! Thats why we practise eh?

Kevin Richards

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2010 22:41:11

krichards

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to Guest

quote:

Here is an interesting article regarding the scientific side of this subject:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advice/vibration.shtml

The biggest problem with 'science stories' in the popular media is that they routinely contain no scientific evidence at all. And here's another example.

OK there's a graph. But it's not calibrated. There are no numbers.

And surprise, surprise, there's no data presented at all. Not one measurement is given. Its all just opinion and 'conclusions'. Without the opportunity to verify the data these conclusions mean nothing.

Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe the authors have published a proper report in the appropriate scientific journal. I hope so, because they seem to have a viable experiment and this thread indicates that there is a lot of interest in the question of aging/improvement etc

Does anyone know where we can see the original data, methodology and statistical analysis etc?

Kevin Richards

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2010 5:40:32

Anders Eliasson

RE: Guitar Longevity (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Most importantly STOP READING GUITAR MAGAZINES! to learn about guitars. That stuff is mostly pure crap.

I totally agree and will only add: Be carefull with reading foroflamenco as well.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 0:50:56
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote