Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Paco de Lucia honoured at Berklee College   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

yohan

RE: Paco de Lucia honoured at Berkle... (in reply to yohan

so you learned flamenco in the new england conservatory???

btw I think you have learned more than 1/1000
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2010 10:22:12

bursche

RE: Paco de Lucia honoured at Berkle... (in reply to sean65

quote:

Apparently there only one GOD and that's Clapton.

Paco has never heard of Clapton.

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2010 11:02:57

Doitsujin

quote:

I don't know why people would assume nobody at Berklee "knows ****" about flamenco or Paco's contribution to it. Insulting people you don't know anything about because they are presumably stupid? Again, WTF?

Go to their website and do a search on flamenco. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah.. you´re joking..right? All I found was the "flamenco search engine" and this PhD-defense in redneck banjo style.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2010 12:15:28

Ron.M

RE: Paco de Lucia honoured at Berkle... (in reply to Guest

quote:

I saw this article in El Pais newspaper. I thought it was a spelling mistake at first and that it was Berkeley University, but it's actually BERKLEE College of Music, which I've never heard of.

Yeah...

I wonder if you can get an Ocksford or Kembridge Degree in England?

(The fact that they sound a bit like famous English Universities is purely accidental of course.. )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2010 13:02:44

Ron.M

quote:

so you learned flamenco in the new england conservatory???

Umm...I think Grisha learned Flamenco HIMSELF.

He should be the one getting the Doctorate IMO....

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2010 13:18:17

alaskaal

RE: Paco de Lucia honoured at Berkle... (in reply to Doitsujin

Grandpa Jones was a god!

My Bachelor of Science degree was a real struggle, but worth it, and earned me lots of bucks.

Grisha, you deserve in every way your Doctorate as does Paco his honorarium. I love your playing.

Paco not heard of Clapton? You must be joking.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2010 19:09:55

Ricardo

I thought doit made it clear he did not mean that Paco did not deserve a PHD because he did not do the work or deserve it. It was clear he meant the concept of giving Honorary PHDs was silly, especially to people like Paco who are titanic figuras in their field already. Berklee is pretty famous as a school for guitarists and other musicians that were serious about both classical and jazz music. Rock musicians or other crossover style players seem to get silly extra "nerd" respect despite their "cool" musician personas. Examples would be Al Dimeola and Steve Vai. They rock or have tons of technique but they are well learned. That is what berklee means to me anyway.

For me flamenco does not have much purpose in academia as it is more a way of life then just a musical form. That is why PHD's regarding flamenco in universities are usually sought after by ETHNOmusicologists, rather then those studying in a music conservatory or college such as berklee.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2010 6:29:16

gato

As for Paco it's greatly deserved, and I am glad to hear that he was honored...

I mean well, in terms of rating degrees, you're not going to know what it means to have a doctorate unless you actually have a PHD, or well, just to say it it's just a lot of talk and nothing more......do you actually know what that means?

There is a lot of Science, and yes, there is pseudo science, and a lot of degrees for just that, pseudo science. Doctors know the difference between the two, one is the the knowledge of upper division, and the other lower division education. One has real knowlege based on hard science (PHD). and the other well they can use a lot of tools and follow the direction of those who do know.

I am not bucking the system, but I did no't take the hypocratic oath, so I don't care what I say, but what I do know there is education and pseudo education, and what you see is what you get. No one really cares though, there are a lot of falsely educated people out there who actually think very highly of their educations. Real or depicted as real, and that is how things are comon knowlege and some things are, well, felony. You take the good with the bad, and Doctors know their stuff. That's all I am going to say....
Gary

The Life Everlasting/Oswald Utopia
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2010 21:24:11
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll