Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: UPDATE: Composition Challenge   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

HolyEvil

RE: UPDATE: Composition Challenge (in reply to Jai

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jai

No problems.

I can see why some people would be upset if I came 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, because I only joined this forum a few days before I entered the competition.
If this is the case, just pretend I'm not in the competition and let the other guitarists get the places. I'm still on the CD. Thats the main thing for me. Maybe next year, a rule could be put in that you have to be a member for one month and made 20 posts if this is a concern.

Jai

Hi there Jai, I think that wasn't the issue here.. There was just confusion about whether there was 1 or 2 guitars.. that's it.
Very good music mate =)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2010 23:59:24

gj Michelob

RE: UPDATE: Composition Challenge (in reply to tantrum

quote:

Ooh, I'm very scared to do this! To lessen the fear, I'll post here rather than in the comments thread.

I didn't want to comment on the tracks because a) the composers and performers are here on this forum! and b) I am a flamenco newbie. Case in point: in November 2009 I didn't even know what a rasgueado was. And in November 2011 I imagine I still won't be able to play one properly.

I am in awe of the abilities of all of the performers!

So, with that proviso (i.e. I don't know what I'm talking about at all!), I will admit I dropped track 3 (Mi Amor) because of the percussion. I am listening to the songs at work through not-exactly-high end headphones. I found the percussion too loud and it was pummeling my right eardrum. The guitar I liked, but found the track too hard to listen to.

I dropped track 1 (Dark Start) partly because I also found the percussion a bit too loud and I don't really like the tangos style. It's not sad-sounding enough. Purely personal taste! The playing and guitar sound are both great on this track.

The two songs I voted for were De Sevilla a Jerez and Nos Miran. I can't really comment on why so much, I just found them the most appealing somehow. I think the sound quality on Nos Miran was probably a little poorer than the others, but I found it the catchiest, even humming parts of it to myself in the shower this morning.

Amarguillo, Victor, Flor and Crescent Moon Serenade are all very good too and will remain in my small but expanding flamenco MP3 library forever. The Serenade particularly bursts out of its box in the beginning with a dynamic and intense sound! It was also hard not to vote for Victor.

I'd say overall I was surprised at how good the tracks were.

No reason to be anxious about your comments, when it comes to choices in music, taste reigns supreme. However, even though you deleted those tracks, you can re-download the album entirely at anytime for no additional charge. And I am reminding you of this option because the other interesting property of taste is that it often changes.

Thank you for purchasing the album, dedicating time to listening to it, voting and sharing your comments. For this Challenge, you are the model member, really. 'wish there were a few more as devoted as you are.

cheers.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2010 6:22:13

tantrum

RE: UPDATE: Composition Challenge (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

ORIGINAL: gj Michelob

However, even though you deleted those tracks, you can re-download the album entirely at anytime for no additional charge. And I am reminding you of this option because the other interesting property of taste is that it often changes.

Absolutely. I still have the tracks on my PC as well - they're just not in the current "rotation".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2010 23:37:16

gj Michelob

So Far:
25 downloads for the whole album and as many for individual tracks,
Crescent Moon leads with 8 votes, followed closely by De Sevilla with 6 and Nos Miran with 3.

Come on getlemen... let's get it rolling!!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2010 6:25:27

at_leo_87

RE: UPDATE: Composition Challenge (in reply to HolyEvil

way to go, gj!
i posted a link on falseta, gsi, and facebook. are there any other places where i can post?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2010 6:37:15

gj Michelob

RE: UPDATE: Composition Challenge (in reply to at_leo_87

quote:

way to go, gj!
i posted a link on falseta, gsi, and facebook. are there any other places where i can post?

I fear none of my votes was casted by any member of the foro, but by accomodating friends...
for the little it may matter, one of my friends texted me that she voted for Nos Miran, as she thought was awesome. "who needs enemies with those kind of friends"

Thank you for advertizing this, Anthony. I cannot think of any better places, really.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2010 6:43:09

at_leo_87

tell your friend i said thank you.

i still haven't bought the whole cd yet. i'm waiting until i get reliable connection. i cant wait to listen to the whole thing!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2010 9:35:22

gj Michelob

Album downloads 25

Individually :
Crescent Moon 11
De Sevilla a Jerez 7
Nos Miran 3
Flor 2

Total Revenues $91.10

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2010 12:22:45

rogeliocan

RE: UPDATE: Composition Challenge (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

I called Jai and he said i could upload this. This is the section in dispute. Jai made this slow video for me to work on a second part. Enjoy!

I will upload it in the Uploads section as this doesn't work.

Attachment (1)

I'm a bit late but, I can't download this it gives me an error about a missing MIME map... is it because it's gone and too late to see this?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2010 2:15:43

kozz

Since the start of the beginners challenge started listening to a lot of tangos again.
Jai, thats some vuwking awesome tangos you played!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 26 2010 7:21:23

rogeliocan

RE: UPDATE: Composition Challenge (in reply to kozz

I will second that. I really like that piece, and clean playing. As I had mentioned, I would love to see the video but I get a MIME error trying to access it. If someone could help I would appreciate it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 26 2010 11:15:35

aeolus

I am only an occasional visitor here ignorant of the mysteries of the flamenco, but I downloaded your challenge entrants not expecting too much but was delighted with the pieces, some more than others natch but I play them regularly. I like the idea of an album with each selection by a different group as flamenco is rather limited, no disrespect . My choice for best was Dark Start. My congrats on the project.

Reading thread further: I too thought Dark Start was a duo with a electric bass guitar. What kind of guitar was the player using? It has some bass!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 24 2010 16:39:31
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post