Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Making a living out of Music   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

RE: Making a living out of Music (in reply to XXX

quote:

Sure you can ignore ignorance of flamenco in conversations anytime, you seem to have build up an enormously thick skin :). But try to see it this way: if everybody would be honest to their art and audience, you would never even have to "conversate" about this stuff.

how can you do that besides just doing it ?...u dont need to talk or convince anyone ...dont need any words...just do it...its not like anyone wants to hear you talk over the mic about whats flamenco or whats not....and i do nothing but flamenco and if i do let my honesty come out i do it in what i do and how much i enjoy what i do not what i say...yet i still have to "conversate it" if someone comes up and strikes up a conversation

so i dont know how much more honest one could be short ot telling people off or making them feel really dumb by correcting every second word in every single sentence they speak and make em feel and like everything they know is wrong.....

best thing we can do for flamenco is just shutting up and handle it with tact and doing what we do to the best of our abilities, entertaining them... and letting people enjoy the show and go home on a high note...not going home feeling stupid and told off ...dosent do any service to flamenco or your art if your audience thinks you are a uptight snob either ....even if you are 10000% right

you have to be able to distinguish the guy that asks and wants to be educated...and the guy just making a pasing remark trying to relate to you or make quick conversation or even impress you...but is not there to have his hand slaped like in school
because at the end of the day...he dosent care...its a passing attempt to make conversation ...hes got different priorities and life and interests...

hes not stupid...just dosent really give a f**k...is there for an hour or 2 and wants to drink a glass of wine and be entertained...just like i dont give really a sh*t about traditional italian music...but i might go see a show ...and might even try to make quick, polite conversation showing interest in his art ...and even say innacurate things about it..i dont want some guy embarasing me.

my motto...just do it and enjoy it...and let them enjoy it and go home happy ..best you can do for flamenco, your next weeks audience, your art, you night and your fustration levels...you cant tell people about flamenco if they dont wanna know...but you can show them...and entertain them for 2 hours by doing it

but...this is just how i feel about it...everyone ofcourse can decide for themselfs how to deal with this sort of thing

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2010 5:00:22

XXX

RE: Making a living out of Music (in reply to Florian

I dont know what flamenco is. I think nobody "knows" not even Paco. All i can do is to take away misconceptions because i can spot things that clearly arent. I know which type of conversation to pass along, and have never hurt anybodies feelings in real life regarding this. There were only 3 times maybe where i conversated about it at all anyway, so its a non-issue for me in real life. I already mentioned these cases where people just want conversation, fine, no need to reiterate endlessly. But here we are talking about a becoming musician. DIFFERENT CASE. Not about telling people what to do or what to think, just to help to get a view of the real thing. What they do with the information is completely their business. (talking about MUSICIANS pro or amateur).

quote:

this parrot must be richer than paco :)

Yes, but he deserves it.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2010 5:58:22

Florian

quote:

Sure you can ignore ignorance of flamenco in conversations anytime, you seem to have build up an enormously thick skin :). But try to see it this way: if everybody would be honest to their art and audience, you would never even have to "conversate" about this stuff.

ok sorry i thought u were refering to us educating the audience about what flamenco is not...

well that problem is there allready...its allways going to be there...not always cause of the artist but equally or even more because of the lack of knowlodge or detailed interest of the audiences...80 % of general public hear nylon string guitar will call it spanish guitar or flamenco...regardless of what it is...i think we coming out with the better end of the deal.....imagine if you were a clasical guitarrist

same with us...we hear a guy play a nylon string guitar, regardless of what he calls himself we assume most of the time is an attempt of sounding or ripping off flamenco and we take it personal...we just as bad

do you think you or I or any other musicean could ever change that ?

music has been around for tousands of years....if it was possible...it would have been done by now

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2010 6:06:10

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
do you think you or I or any other musicean could ever change that ?

of course man!
Its not about you anybody alone. Its about doing what you can to present the art form as true as you can. In playing as well as any other aspect. You dont even have to be hardcore guitarrist to do this. But if you do nothing to spread the word for sure nothing will change. Flamenco is a very distant art to western world hence misconceptions are normal, and not a sign of "stupidness" or whatever. Im sure most people had misconceptions about it in the beginning (I had/have). Some guitarrists like to talk a little in concerts about the palo before playing. I find that very positive to the image of flamenco. (whether the audience is remembering that info or not is another question). Its not about education like in school, just to give a little insight to flamenco, and that it consists of more than bongos, castagnetts ...

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2010 6:21:29

Florian

quote:

Some guitarrists like to talk a little in concerts about the palo before playing. I find that very positive to the image of flamenco

well i dont...i dont like to talk at all in concerts...

i dont know man, i dont wanna wear the heavy jacket of educating the masses lol...i just wanna play flamenco...if they dont get the message through the music and dance...i doubt ant words would make any difference

I used to wanna educate everyone i meet about it and used to get really fustrated at the world and pissed off cause they werent geting it...now i just wanna educate myself and just do it the best i can and above all enjoy myself and entertain them

besides i dont think anything can be more convincing then them just seeing you there absoluteley loving what you do...again...no words necesarry

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2010 6:31:00

Ron.M

RE: Making a living out of Music (in reply to Arash

quote:

this parrot must be richer than paco :)

That parrot has a real nice staccato 'click' on the bass strings.

I've been trying get my thumb to sound like that for ages.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2010 6:33:31

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
well i dont...i dont like to talk at all in concerts...

Snob :)
I think Paco Pena did such things, and i saw one other Solo guitarrist doing it. Nothing wrong with it in situations where 99% of the audience is non-flamenco anyway.

quote:

besides i dont think anything can be more convincing then them just seeing you there absoluteley loving what you do...again...no words necesarry

Yeah, dream on you said it yourself that you always make the same experiences. Again, you can play and still be helpful in spreading the word. But hey, maybe in ten years i am just as fed up as you

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2010 6:44:14
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote