Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Patrick

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to Mike_Kinny

quote:

I just wanted to point out in my obtuse way that you did not win the $10 bet, because Lester did not rule out giving them away for free. He said he would not pay someone to play his guitars. He was vague, I believe intentionally. But that is my opinion. I don't care either way. You need to ask yourself why you care so much!

We didn't shake hands anyway!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 10:50:49

Patrick

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to Mike_Kinny

quote:

Assuming all this, and considering he would like to make only good guitars (sweet timbric colors and so on) => 10-20 guitars a year at max (perhaps)=>
You might NEVER get a guitar from him And if you get one, it will be in like 10-20 years

Not true. When he says a three year waiting list, he is pretty much on the mark. Three years is about the time he starts building the guitar and about three months to finish. I have been on his list twice and both came up a bit before three years. He must factor in the Paco and Vicente guitars into his list.

I don't know how much it is now, but it used to be only $100 to go on his list and he always let me know how many were ahead of me when asked.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 10:56:50

buleria74

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to Patrick

quote:

I have been on his list twice and both came up a bit before three years

So you have 2 guitars made by him?.

Flamenco no tiene mas que un escuela, transmitir o no transmitir !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 11:11:09

Doitsujin

quote:

You might NEVER get a guitar from him And if you get one, it will be in like 10-20 years

If so...why talking any longer about him? Lets forget him if hes useless for us... pfft.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 11:15:19

buleria74

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to Doitsujin

Doitsujn, would you buy a Lester Devoe if you could get it

within couple of years?.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 11:24:02

XXX

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to buleria74

I think he would buy it if he got it for free
(dont mind it, we know each other)

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 11:26:07

Patrick

quote:

So you have 2 guitars made by him?.

No, only a 2005 East Indian. I passed on having the second one built as I had a Green Brazilian being built at the time, which ate up the guitar budget.

I also owned a 2004 East Indian peg head that I sold, which was one of the dumbest things I have ever done!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 13:05:38

Patrick

quote:

If so...why talking any longer about him? Lets forget him if hes useless for us... pfft.

Read my post above (3 years or so).

Also, Dan Zeff gets one evey year to sel (or at least he used to)l. He pays the normal price and adds on a thousand or so. If someone wants one fast, they can pay the extra and get it in less than a year. I don't know if he still gets one or not.

Also, about every year or so one or two come up for sale in the secondary market.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 13:11:46

tk

quote:

I also owned a 2004 East Indian peg head that I sold, which was one of the dumbest things I have ever done!

Patrick, I feel the tension and the sadness in that phrase. I was very close in departing with one of my Devoes (Cedar top, indian with pegs) but thank God I changed my mind.

Devoe is an honest man and I really don't know much whether he pays to these guys to play his guitars or not or whether they pay him etc....what matters is that the big guys starting all with Sabicas have played his guitars and somehow like it.

whether is expensive or not is another issue. I heard on this board someone saying that it is too expensive. Once you play high end guitars (Conde Felipe V, Reyes or Gerundino) next to Devoe, then you realise the value of a Devoe guitar and probably conclude that it is not that expensive!

Just my thoughts

TK

TK
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tsolakk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 16:05:54

Patrick

quote:

Patrick, I feel the tension and the sadness in that phrase. I was very close in departing with one of my Devoes (Cedar top, indian with pegs) but thank God I changed my mind.

You pretty much hit it on the head. My thoughts at the time where...I have two DeVoe East Indian's, why do I need two? But the reallity is they where a quite a bit different. I think we have sister guitars that were built the same time. Don't you have a 2005 as well?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 19:26:31

Adam

Perhaps you have sister guitars that were built from the same plank of Indian Rosewood? Because if so, you shouldn't play in the same room.... just check out the end of the fourth Harry Potter, you'll see what I mean. Scary stuff.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 19:31:32

buleria74

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to tk

quote:

Once you play high end guitars (Conde Felipe V, Reyes or Gerundino) next to Devoe, then you realise the value of a Devoe guitar and probably conclude that it is not that expensive!

100% agreeing with you. I am going to get a flamenca negra hopefully
in 2011. see what happens.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 21:26:50

tk

quote:

Don't you have a 2005 as well?

Yes, one 2005 Cedar top/indian back with pegs, one 2006 spruce/indian machine head. I love them both. I might get a blanca with cedar top but machine head. I am still thinking about that one...

Did you see the latest newsletter from devoe?

TK

TK
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2010 22:18:24

buleria74

quote:

Yes, one 2005 Cedar top/indian back with pegs, one 2006 spruce/indian machine head

oh, you must be rich I would have to save alot for 1 of his guitars.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 6:52:19

alaskaal

This whole discussion is somewhat unimportant to me, whether he gives away guitars, or whatever. I selfishly want Lester to stay in business because I am coming up soon on his waiting list for a second Devoe.

I was giving a concert in a huge hall a couple of weeks ago (the Wendy Williamson Auditorium for those Alaskans among us). I was playing my Devoe negra and was absolutely astounded at the sound - the pure tone of the guitar as it echoed through the auditorium. The responsiveness of it - that pulsacion that Lester speaks of, I was acutely aware of it while onstage. At the end of the piece I spoke a little about the guitar. I said that it was the finest guitar that I have ever played. I also said that I had to wait almost four years to get it and when it arrived, my wife sent out birth announcements, "little Lester arrived yesterday afternoon at four PM."

When my wife first heard she it stopped dead in her tracks and said, "Oh MY!" I have other concert quality instruments, but when I play the Devoe it is, "Oh MY!" Say what you will about Devoe guitars those of us who own them know. Has he ever built a bad one? I don't know, but he sure "knocked out of the park" for me.

Al
(according to Lester, his only Alaskan customer)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 7:50:05

Patrick

quote:

Did you see the latest newsletter from devoe?

Yes...

I am sure ours were built at the same time, based on what Lester said.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 8:25:30

Patrick

quote:

Has he ever built a bad one? I don't know, but he sure "knocked out of the park" for me.

Not as far as I know, but every builder can turn out a cluncker every now and then. Ruck told me he builds a guitar that's not up to his standards at times.

I have owned two DeVoes and played a few others. Not one of them was bad. In fact they were all exceptional. Jason had one and didn't like it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 8:30:14

Patrick

quote:

oh, you must be rich I would have to save alot for 1 of his guitars.

How bad do you want one? It's all about managing your money.

OK, here's how you do it.

First: send Lester a hundred bucks to get on his list., Let's now assume it will run about $6,700 in three years. Next set up a separate savings account at a bank or credit union. You want it separate from your other accounts so you don't dip into it. Every day put aside $6.00. In one week you deposit the $42.00 you have saved. In three years you have put away at least $6,600.

The worst that can happen is you fail and don't have the full amount of cash in three years. No big deal, just tell Lester you need more time and he will work with you, by working you in when he can in the future without having to wait another three years. So that maybe gives you four years or more. If the whole plan fails you are only out a hundred bucks for the deposit.

Can you save five to six bucks a day? You can if you really want to.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 9:06:27

alaskaal

quote:

First: send Lester a hundred bucks to get on his list., Let's now assume it will run about $6,700 in three years. Next set up a separate savings account at a bank or credit union. You want it separate from your other accounts so you don't dip into it. Every day put aside $6.00. In one week you deposit the $42.00 you have saved. In three years you have put away at least $6,600.

That is exactly what I did. The question you have to ask is, "what will I have in three years if I don't do it?" I kick myself for all of those years I wasted NOT doing it. In around a year, I will have another.

When I received my first Devoe I asked another question. I had a degree in the arts (English) and always wanted a degree in the sciences. I decided to enroll part-time in the University and about the time I get my second Devoe I should have my Bachelor of Science Degree in Occpuational Safety and Health. It has been hard work and I have had to sacrifice, but what would I have if I hadn't done it? The answer, of course, is that three years would have passed and no Devoe, no degree.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 9:56:20

buleria74

quote:

good idea, I don't like bank loans, might save on some other stuff, these are
tough times economically, so I have to be careful.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 10:05:26

Patrick

quote:

That is exactly what I did. The question you have to ask is, "what will I have in three years if I don't do it?" I kick myself for all of those years I wasted NOT doing it. In around a year, I will have another.

See...it works!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 12:41:25

Arash

i don't understand folks who wait several years for a guitar and pay such amounts of money for a guitar, which they have never played.

too risky and too long imo.

no matter which builder.

and if you have tried out a guitar of that builder, say from a friend , and liked it so much that you ordered one, still your guitar can turn out different, even though you ordered the same model-same builder.
or maybe during those 10 years of waiting, your "guitar taste" has completely changed.

choosing a guitar should be like choosing a girlfriend, IMO

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 12:57:58

tk

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to Arash

Arash,

I wish you can order a girlfriend the way you can order a guitar from any luthier....I would wait several years for that without tasting it! Imagine, you can decide the sizes, portions, weight, lips shape etc........ woooohhh........

TK

TK
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 13:36:24

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: tk

Arash,

I wish you can order a girlfriend the way you can order a guitar from any luthier....I would wait several years for that without tasting it! Imagine, you can decide the sizes, portions, weight, lips shape etc........ woooohhh........

TK

good answer

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 13:43:55

Patrick

quote:

too risky and too long imo.

DeVoe's guitars are incredibly consistant. You can be pretty much assured of what you are going to get from him.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 13:55:53

Arash

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to buleria74

seams like he switched back to Conde if i am not mistaking (at least in Berlin few days ago)

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/joaopaglione/gallery/Paco-de-Lucia-live-in-Berlin-Tempodrom/G00006QSdhgf2sYU/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 16:44:21

buleria74

quote:

seams like he switched back to Conde if i am not mistaking (at least in Berlin few days ago)

I am trying to attend his concert in Istanbul. I will definitely try to go
backstage, one of my questions will be about the guitar he plays, I will
hopefully post it here.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2010 21:29:38

stratos13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/joaopaglione/gallery/Paco-de-Lucia-live-in-Berlin-Tempodrom/G00006QSdhgf2sYU/

Finaly, no more DeVoe!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2010 1:03:43

buleria74

quote:

DeVoe's guitars are incredibly consistant. You came be pretty much assured of what you are going to get from him.

I have a good feeling about his guitars.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2010 2:02:12

XXX

RE: Paco De Lucia using Lester Devoe (in reply to stratos13

quote:

ORIGINAL: stratos13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

Finaly, no more DeVoe!

One night stand

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2010 2:13:33
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message