Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Savarez nail repair kit   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

trudgiano

Savarez nail repair kit 

Having recently ruined my index fingernail I've been looking for something decent to repair it with. I got a Savarez nail repair kit, which just consists of some resin and strips of silk mesh which you use to create a new laminate nail.

When I was applying it to my finger I thought there wasn't a chance in hell it would last more than 5 minutes. When the resin set the new nail was easy to file down and surprisingly strong. I've been using the nail for practice and it feels almost as good as a real nail. The only downside is that it looks utterly horrendous.

Definitely worth trying out if you tear a nail off down to the skin.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2010 9:47:27

Estevan

RE: Savarez nail repair kit (in reply to trudgiano

I haven't used the complete Savarez kit but I do use the silk from it which I got separately. It's indispensable for me because my nails are crap and are constantly trying to tell me that I should not even think of trying to learn flamenco. I use the silk with superglue/krazyglue, and I wonder if you find that the "resin" that comes with the kit is any different?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2010 18:55:47

trudgiano

No it's pretty much the same as any superglue I've used. It seems to dry a lot more speedily than the glue I attempted to repair my nail with before though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2010 0:38:53

orsonw

The silk is great if you break a nail. I had a few shows to do recently and a broken thumb nail, so I used silk. Yes, the resin is just like superglue.

However a word of warning-

A few years ago I discovered silk and thought my nail problems were over.
Problem one- I have nails that hook over, using silk meant they grew out straight. Problem two- no more broken nail issues.
Problem three- a thicker nail for better tone.

After using silk for a few months my nails were completely distroyed beneath. Sore nail beds and very thin/weak nails so there wasn't even anything to put the silk onto as the nail would pull away from the bed.

I had previously used superglue for a few years without silk and had no problems so something in the combination with the silk didn't work for me. I followed the instruction and only covered the end of the nail. Perhaps the added stiffness meant the nail/nail bed attachment was under more stress?

It took two years for my nails to recover and they are now thinner than they were before.
After a few years of using nothing on my nails I have recently started to try 'nail envy nail strengthener' this thickens the nail and also helps it grow un-hooked.

I have only used the silk again once in this recent emergency and then took it straight off. I know for me prolonged use is a disaster.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2010 1:03:27

Estevan

RE: Savarez nail repair kit (in reply to orsonw

Thanks for the info. I prefer not to put anything on my nails as far as possible, and usually use the silk+glue just for repairs, but repairs are often needed, as is reinforcement for the p and a nails.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2010 10:29:57

trudgiano

+1 on thanks for the info orsonw. I'll be sure to ditch the fake bit as soon as the nail grows out to a usable length.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2010 2:20:57

Flamencito

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 20 2012 4:50:54
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2012 4:46:52
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread