Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Taking broadband for granted   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: Taking broadband for granted (in reply to edguerin

quote:

You mean that sound my innards make lately?

Na Ed,

You're mixing that up with "a right good sh*t.."

Often known as "A poor man's pleasure..." (in Yorkshire)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2010 10:17:38

srshea

RE: Taking broadband for granted (in reply to Ron.M

Couple hours ago I turned the ol’ computer on and saw an email from an old friend I haven’t seen or spoken to in more than five years, informing me of a radio show he had just started doing and that would be streaming live today. I managed to catch the last hour or so. I got to send in my requests via email, got to hear his responses to me live on the air, got to hear the Bob Dylan song he picked for me, got to listen to a voice I haven’t heard in a long time. All this while I’m sitting here on the couch, a ten minute walk away from the waters of the Pacific ocean, and he’s sitting in an air studio in some little, middle of nowhere town in Vermont, three thousand miles away…

I like technological progress. I like the sort of connections that it can help make, like in the above anecdote. I like the convenience of a cell phone. I like that they’ve got a little fiber-optic camera they can ram up my ass to make sure I don’t have bowel cancer. But I also really appreciate being able to opt of using all the techno whim-whams and gee-gaws that are becoming increasingly ubiquitous in our world. While I appreciate the value of these things I don’t really actually LIKE using and interacting with a lot of this stuff. I spend a lot of time in front of the computer at work, and I find it to be really enervating. If I sit too long staring at a monitor without a break I feel fully drained of any energy or life. Sometimes the TV (which I really like having) will be on and the pointless, sucking inanity of it all will hit me. I’ll get up and turn it off and feel instantly better.

I live in close proximity to a lot of beautiful natural surroundings that I’m very fortunate to have access to. I don’t have to go far to get out in the woods and “get away from it all”. I don’t actual do it as much as I would like to, but when I do, man, I can really feel it. Feels good.

This is, in a small way, one of the things that appeals to me about playing flamenco guitar. It feels a little earthy, a little olde timey. Even though I spend a lot of time playing in front of the laptop with some video or with a quartz metronome clicking away at me, at base the experience is that of holding a piece of wood in my hands, something that vibrates and resonates in a natural way, something tactile that feels good. Even if my playing’s bad, the physical sensation of it can still be pleasurable if I take the time to appreciate it.

Pretty soon I’ll be turning the computer off to go read a book. Again, one of the things I like about reading is the tactile sensation of holding a book, slowly turning the pages. I like being surrounded by books, like casually wandering through used bookstores. I like sorting through my own books, picking out stuff that hasn’t been read yet, seeing something that I might like to read again soon, leisurely flipping through things. My boss is a big tech fan, an early adopter of just about every new electronic gizmo you can think of. He’s always going on about the imminent death of print and how we’ll all be doing all our reading off our gizmos soon and how great that is. When he gets going on this track I just nod my head dutifully and let him go. Even if all the bookstores ran dry tomorrow, I’ve still got enough books, shelves of ‘em, to last me till my final days. And when the techo-apocalypse comes and civilization is wiped out I will be very, very careful NOT to break my glasses like Burgess Meredith in that soul crushing episode of the Twilight Zone…..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2010 14:49:48

edguerin

quote:

You're mixing that up with "a right good sh*t.."

And I always thought the Brits (even the Scots) were posh:

I sat next to the Duchess at tea,
Distressed as a person could be
Her rumblings abdominal
were simply phenomenal
And everyone thought it was me

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 6:40:31

XXX

RE: Taking broadband for granted (in reply to Florian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
DUDE thats so much funnyer in GERMAN !!!

If you found that funny check the counter strike version
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2486612811807998481#
at some point he is translated as "i MAY loose my temper" ROFL. at the end he dies a very painful death.

and this

hm didnt i post this before? feels like dejavú.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 11:29:38

Florian

RE: Taking broadband for granted (in reply to XXX

quote:

at some point he is translated as "i MAY loose my temper" ROFL. at the end he dies a very painful death.

is that whats hes acctualy saying ? is the translation accurate ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 11:49:31

XXX

RE: Taking broadband for granted (in reply to Florian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
is the translation accurate ?

No, but its better
Im sure there is a version with correct translation somewhere though.

wait... you want a translation of that??!!

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 11:54:02

Florian

RE: Taking broadband for granted (in reply to XXX

quote:

wait... you want a translation of that??!!

well it would have been funny to know what exactly hes playing and what hes saying and what part got him that excited...for example if he was playing tetris or one of those slow strategy turn based games it would be even funnyer

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 12:13:54

Doitsujin

quote:

If you found that funny check the counter strike version
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2486612811807998481#

and this

hm didnt i post this before? feels like dejavú.

Hes a candidate for an amok-run if he gets problems in school. Just imagine this kid combined with tourette syndrome. MAn...that would cause instant death... like a microphone that is pointed towards a box that is turned on. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee.... CRRRRKRCRRKKKKCKCKC...BROKEN.

EDIT: It would be interesting how he would react watching 2 girls 1 cup.. hahaha... (To my defence..I never watched it but I saw some people watching it and read what its about.. I think I dont wanna see it and I recommend you not too look for it for goshs sake!!)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 12:27:47

Florian

RE: Taking broadband for granted (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

It would be interesting how he would react watching 2 girls 1 cup.. hahaha... (To my defence..I never watched it but I saw some people watching it and read what its about.. I think I dont wanna see it and I recommend you not too look for it for goshs sake!!)

nah i wont...what websites should i stir clear off so i dont run into it ? youtube ? whats it about ?

EDIT !!!

AUUUUUUU your mates are sick lol ...teling someone not look for something is like saying dont look down

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 12:50:57

Doitsujin

Did you film yourself watching it? LOL
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 12:56:26

Florian

i cant acctualy find it...i found this website that says what it is and how it was the most scandalous video ever...and its got all the reactions but no original...and its got the german kid too

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 13:02:55

Doitsujin

Florian,.. listen to me.. dont watch it. You will have nightmares and you wont be able to delete these pictures from your mind ever. So.. whatever happens... dont watch it!

(If you watch, be sure you film yourself and upload the video to the foro. hehe )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 13:16:28

XXX

its annoying. I find 100s of videos of peoples reactions but not the original video ?? It must be really really bad.
ooookeeeey i have what its about and i have decided to NOT watch it.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2010 13:30:54
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote