Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

**REVIEW** DVD: FLAMENCO GUITAR METHOD VOL. 1 & 2, GERHARD GRAF-MARTINEZ.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jon Boyes

**REVIEW** DVD: FLAMENCO GUITAR MET... 

DVD: FLAMENCO GUITAR METHOD VOL. 1 & 2, GERHARD GRAF-MARTINEZ.
(Published by Schott Multimedia).

In 2002 Schott music published a new flamenco guitar method, by Gerhard Graf-Martinez (GM). This Autumn saw the release of two DVDs to accompany his method.

One of the first questions that spring to mind is how the DVDs relate to the two books/CD already published. The answer to that one is straightforward. The DVDs offer a visual illustration of the main techniques and musical examples in the books, and all the music that is featured on the accompanying CD. Notice I said main examples - the books themselves do contain a few other musical examples that are not on the videos, plus the books contain a wealth of other related information e.g. seating positions, nail care, flamenco guitars, history of flamenco, etc.

The two DVDs are intended to give a clearer picture, so to speak, of all the fundamental techniques covered in his books and thus follow the two books quite closely in terms of their content:

Vol. 1
Techniques covered: Basic principles of rasgueado plus AMI, EAMI, AMII, punteado (up and down strokes with I), tresillo (triplet or marote) and AMIP rasgueado combinations; also pulgar technique, ayudado (alternating P with I), golpe with A & M (the latter above the soundhole) and the rumba stroke.

Palos/styles featured: Tangos, Solea, Alegrias, Rumba, Taranto, Garrotin, Fandangos De Huelva, Sevillanas.

The concept of the compas clock is introduced to illustrate the compas of and relationship between the ‘12 beat’ toques.

The rasgueado techniques in Vol.1 are available to view in three ways: normal view (close up), with onscreen score/tablature and, a very innovative touch, from behind the strings looking outward at the fingers. All clips can be viewed at normal or slow speed.

Vol.2
Techniques covered: arpeggio, tremolo, picado, alzapua.
The same styles as Vol.1 are again featured, with the addition of bulerias (inc. bulerias palmas).

GM teaches a contemporary approach to flamenco technique. His primary rasgueado combination is AMI, with each finger flicked off the inside of the thumb to produce a sound that is crisp and well articulated, with clear separation of the individual strokes. His preferred four stroke is AMII, and to produce a continuous rasgueado (in fours) AMII is linked together. This approach is in contrast with the older style taught in some methods (e.g. Juan Martin, Juan Serrano) of simply curling the fingers towards the palm, and producing a continuous rasgueado with an EAMI-EAMI linked roll.

Incidentally, to play a straight EAMI all down stroke rasgueado, GM recommends locking the fingers all the way into the palm, i.e. making a fist, and flicking the fingers off the inside of the palm for added spring. Personally, I find this very awkward and GM seems to rarely use it in his playing, favouring AMII for a four-stroke as already discussed.

The DVDs demonstrate a picado technique that will be familiar to fans of Paco De Lucia, with the stroke being powered almost exclusively from the middle finger joint. Actually, in GM’s case, he favours the stroke coming entirely from that joint, and advocates practising with the large knuckles hyper-extended (bent inwards towards the guitar top) to ensure that the large joint can play no part in the stroke.

Another point of interest is GM’s Alzapua, which he drives from the thumb's base joint at the wrist, as opposed to using a swivel action of the wrist and forearm favoured by players like Paco De Lucia and Tomatito. GM suggests that it is better (safer?) for beginners to develop security by playing all pulgar lines from the base joint first, before attempting to incorporate the whole of the wrist/forearm into the movement.

Apart from the rather more modern approach to technique, there are two distinguishing features about the Graf Martinez Method that set him apart from several other flamenco guitar methods on the market. The first is the contemporary feel of some of the material. For example, there are some nods towards modern day masters like Paco de Lucia and Tomatito in the falsetas, particularly the bulerias, although it has to be said that the material is kept playable!

Secondly, rather than simply publish a collection of long solos, GM presents a series of bite-sized chunks of compas material from the different styles, encouraging the student to combine and arrange as he/she wishes. This compas-focussed approach will appeal to those seeking a more authentic approach to flamenco, though people wishing to learn a few flamenco ‘pieces’ with lots of falsetas may not find it so satisfying. I have to say that whatever your needs, his approach is very effective for learning the compas of the more difficult (12 beat) toques. His presentation of bulerias compas – which wisely gets a whole chapter devoted to it in volume 2 - is excellent.

Most people agree that the best form of instruction is from a good teacher, though in many parts of the world flamenco guitar teachers are hard to come by or simply non-existent. The Graf-Martinez Flamenco Guitar Method must rank as one of the best self-tuition resources on the market and whether you are student or teacher of flamenco guitar, his new DVDs are an excellent companion to this. Recommended.

Further information
http://www.graf-martinez.com/
http://www.schott-music.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2004 9:07:03

Jim Opfer

RE: **REVIEW** DVD: FLAMENCO GUITAR... (in reply to Jon Boyes

Jon,

I was handed a copy of his 'Gypsy Guitar' DVD last night which focuses on Rumba.
I've only had one look at it but was amazed by the clever presentation of the video footage which is mainly of him (I guess?) sitting there as a computer animation and very good one at that, playing away. There's also tab that playes through normal or slow and pop up sections for a visual close up of some of the strums which can be looped for continuous effect.
Quite chuffed really and thought it interesting.
Not a great fan of Rumba though, scunnered by the 'Gypsy Creams'

Are these other volumes the same?

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2004 13:09:37

Jon Boyes

RE: **REVIEW** DVD: FLAMENCO GUITAR... (in reply to Jim Opfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Opfer

I've only had one look at it but was amazed by the clever presentation of the video footage which is mainly of him (I guess?) sitting there as a computer animation ....
Are these other volumes the same?

No Jim, this has been filmed, not animation. About 80 min per DVD.

Cheers

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2004 7:43:40

Jim Opfer

Thanks Jon, might check them out.
Tell me, is he bald with deep set dark eyes and plays a guitar with stuck on golpeadors? That's how he comes over as a computer animation.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2004 18:37:44

El Craic

Does sound interesting. What sort of cash we talking here?

Coughchristmascough

You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2004 19:01:31

Skai

Argh darn it, they're really expensive.. No way I could order that any time soon without a credit card..

How's his 2 flamenco method books? Compared with Juan Martin's..

Skai
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2004 12:10:26

Jon Boyes

quote:

Thanks Jon, might check them out.
Tell me, is he bald with deep set dark eyes and plays a guitar with stuck on golpeadors?

Yes, no and no in that order.

jon

PS I assume you mean those white plastic golpeadors, as all flamenco guitars have stuck on golpeadors, yes?

PPS Jim I'm not sure someone like yourself would learn much from these, I mean they are beginner-tricky intermediate level really. Unless you want to use them to teach or something...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2004 12:40:01

Jon Boyes

RE: **REVIEW** DVD: FLAMENCO GUITAR... (in reply to Skai

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skai
How's his 2 flamenco method books? Compared with Juan Martin's..

The books are really excellent, and I would advise anyone interested in the Graf Martinez method to buy these before considering his DVDs, for the reasons I gave in the review.

I made several comparisons to Juan's method also in my review - content, approach, technique and the actual music. In a nutshell the GM method is more modern - about twenty five years seperates them which is significant if you consider whats happened to flamenco in that time.

The other thing I probably should mention is that the Graf Martinez method would take you further ie by the end of book 2 you'd be playing stuff that is more advanced than Juan's El Arte method. There is some really nice bulerias and tangos material in the 2nd book which would be perfectly respectable gigging/accompanying material.
But of course there are two books, and Juan's method is only one, so your budget might be a factor too..

jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2004 12:50:58

Jim Opfer

quote:

PS I assume you mean those white plastic golpeadors, as all flamenco guitars have stuck on golpeadors, yes?

No, these are clear but just look badly fitted, sort of peeling all around the edges.

I find it next to impossible to get any material from books Jon, I've got lots of them including most of the Encuentro series, but I've learned nothing from them.

A friend gave me the Rumba PC DVD last Monday because he has AppleMAC and I put it on once that night just before I saw your post. Sort of spooky!

That's why this Rumba animated DVD seemed different, it's interactive and can be slowed down, played as solo lead guitar, solo chord guitar or alltogether etc. The video looks real at first glance but then you realise it's an animation. Made me feel if I were interested in the material, I could take it in quite easily.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2004 12:07:22

Jon Boyes

quote:

A friend gave me the Rumba PC DVD last Monday because he has AppleMAC and I put it on once that night just before I saw your post. Sort of spooky!

That's why this Rumba animated DVD seemed different, it's interactive and can be slowed down, played as solo lead guitar, solo chord guitar or alltogether etc. The video looks real at first glance but then you realise it's an animation.

Hi Jim

Just to clarify, the Gipsy Guitar resource you refer to is a CD ROM, not a DVD (Gerhard has also published a book plus audio CD on the subject).

I haven't seen this CD ROM, though Gerhard was a bit confused about your post* as he says its film, not animation, running at 12 frames per second. He created it for Windows 98 back in 99.

Some clips here if anyone's interested, though I have a problem with my Quicktime plug-in and I can't play them:

http://www.graf-martinez.info/gipsy-guitar/rumba-guitar-cd-rom.html

cheers.

Jon

(*He's following this thread )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2004 12:46:35

Jim Opfer

quote:

I haven't seen this CD ROM, though Gerhard was a bit confused about your post* as he says its film, not animation, running at 12 frames per second. He created it for Windows 98 back in 99.

Thanks Jon for clarifying that.

I've got to say I'm facinated to read that it's a video and not animation. Thing is however, it's dropped from beeing a really clever piece of computer wizardry down to a low quality video and you've shattered my illusion.

Not to take anything away though, it's very well set out, very clear and the interactive presentation works well.

So if you are reading this Gerhard, congratulations and very well done.
To be recommended.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2004 22:01:58

El Craic

maybe u should get ur wee eyes tested

You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2004 8:19:53

Jim Opfer

RE: **REVIEW** DVD: FLAMENCO GUITAR... (in reply to El Craic

quote:

maybe u should get ur wee eyes tested

I fancy a pair of those mechanical ones the Borg have with the wee XRay visor that drops down from behind your ear, Mmmmm...! that could come in handy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2004 11:02:41

Jamey

quote:

Hi Jim

Just to clarify, the Gipsy Guitar resource you refer to is a CD ROM, not a DVD (Gerhard has also published a book plus audio CD on the subject).

Some clips here if anyone's interested, though I have a problem with my Quicktime plug-in and I can't play them:

http://www.graf-martinez.info/gipsy-guitar/rumba-guitar-cd-rom.html

cheers.

Jon

(*He's following this thread )

I just have a comment to make regarding that interactive CD mentioned. After viewing the QuickTime online showing the music playback with score and speed adjustment, I just have to say that it is very well done. If Gerhard is still following this thread, Gerhard, I've been building interactive multimedia applications for 10 years and that CD displayed on your website is a truly brilliantly designed application! Particularly since it's been built with Director (which is notoriously finicky, flakey and often plain unruly). That's quite an undertaking. Nice work. It's like the TablEdit application but with actual audio AND video (?). Very cool.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2004 15:46:56

Francisco

I own Vol 1, and have to say it has been a great tool for getting me started in Flamenco. I will soon be purchasing Vol 2, but was also interested in the CD-ROM. It appears however, that the only places to order are Schott Music and Mundo Flamenco, both of which are in Germany. I've never ordered anything that had to to be shipped from outside the US. Has anyone had any experience placing an order with these companies from the US?
Thanks

"vamos a tocar la guitarra" ;)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2005 21:39:37

Patrick

flamencoconnection.com in the US has it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2005 16:45:27

Francisco

Thanks Patrick, that's an awesome website.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2005 18:10:19

siyacat

I was dissapointed, paid about $80 for both dvd`s , picture qulity is great but the tab is totaly blured and unreadable,very bad production, so it means I have to pay another $50 for the books.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2005 18:10:09

Jon Boyes

RE: **REVIEW** DVD: FLAMENCO GUITAR... (in reply to siyacat

quote:

ORIGINAL: siyacat
picture qulity is great but the tab is totaly blured and unreadable,very bad production,

The on screen scrolling tab is there to indicate where in the score (ie in the book) you are.

I agree its not easy to follow though, he should have left it out to avoid confusion.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2005 9:26:53

Francisco

Si, if you have the NTSC (or whatever) version, then you're not going to be able to read the onscreen tab. He has a fix for the problem tho. It's what he calls a 'Score Viewer', and is a quicktime file that he can email to you when you provide proof of purchase of the videos. An alternative is to shell out another $26+/per book for the method books which include the tablature & standard notation for the videos.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2005 11:00:18

Cepa Andaluza

Hello Freinds

How Are you ..

i have this methods dvds olso books Its Great .. Olso the Gipsy Guitar Method is olso Great For Learning Rumba .. you can find his method here ..www.flamencon.com us shop

Thanx
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2005 11:43:32
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote