Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast. Lots of 'Em........   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

srshea

Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast. Lot... 

I’ve come to notice that there a LOT of flamenco builders here on the U.S. west coast.

Starting south and heading north you’ve got Devoe around the central coast, Faulk and Canin in the Bay Area, Ruck in Eugene, Tsiorba and Shelton-Farretta around Portland. California native Eugene Clark is just twenty minutes north of me; I know there are a couple guys in Seattle; there’s that guy up in Port Angeles or Port Roberts or Port Somewhere who was making affordable Santos copies that folks were saying good stuff about (something like that…). That’s just a top-of-the-head list, and I know I’m missing more than a few names.

What’s notable to me is that so many of these guys really are builders of note, putting out quality, respected work, and not just hobbyists.

So, I know we’ve got a lot of trees around here, but aside from that I’m curious to know if there’s anything that explains the uncanny preponderance of flamenco luthiers ‘round these parts. I know there are great builders out in other parts of the country, Blackshear, Brune, et al, but it really does seem like there’s an abundance of them in a relatively concentrated area here.

Are y’all actually from the places you live and work at, or did you migrate here; is this some kind of conspiracy; etc? Cheap spruce, relatively mild climate, stuff like that? What’s going on here?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 10:51:07

Mike_Kinny

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to srshea

quote:

there’s that guy up in Port Angeles or Port Roberts or Port Somewhere who was making affordable Santos copies that folks were saying good stuff about (something like that…).

Darren Hippner?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 11:36:52

Arash

if you mean Hippner, then i remember that he was selling 10 or 12 of them on ebay last year for about $1000 each. it was one auction with a pic. with all guitars.

i don't know if it was the bad economy at that time or what, but they were all sold within few days and i guess people who bought them made a real good deal and i also remember that i heard only positive reviews about them.

actually i wanted to order one myself , i mean for $1000 (with the euro exchange rate at that time even much cheaper for me) you couldn't do anything wrong. crazy price. but finally i didn't, don't know why and then all of them were sold.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:14:13

srshea

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to Arash

Yep, Hippner, that's the guy. Living the in geographical anomaly of Point Roberts, WA.

Edit: Living IN THE geographical anomaly of Point Roberts, WA, not "the in". I've been doing that a lot lately, switching words and letters. Hello, early-onset dementia....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:25:17

XXX

I play a Hippner, and i can tell ya, these guitars are hip!
The guitar i have is not his top model though. There are a few optical things that i dont like, but the setup and especially sound is definitely good. Good enough for me anyways. No comparison to some Sanchis models IMO (except the top ones maybe) , and basically cheaper. If i can get the neck somehow done to match it my grabbing hand, this would be the perfect guitar.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:34:19

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

if you mean Hippner, then i remember that he was selling 10 or 12 of them on ebay last year for about $1000 each. it was one auction with a pic. with all guitars.

i don't know if it was the bad economy at that time or what, but they were all sold within few days and i guess people who bought them made a real good deal and i also remember that i heard only positive reviews about them.

I considered buying one because of the price, too. I chose not to after reading Hippner only warrants his guitars against splits and cracks for a few months. I'd rather buy a used guitar that's had a few years to settle and no wood splits than risk buying a new one. Also, he's found a way to crank these things out at a pace that far exceeds what most luthiers can produce (another reason to avoid them as far as I'm concerned).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:35:50

srshea

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

I play a Hippner, and i can tell ya, these guitars are hip!

Nice. did you get one of the ebay fire sale guitars?

How's the finger doing? I played the past two evenings in a row for about 90m minutes. Feelin' pretty good. Gonna give it another go tonight....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:40:18

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: srshea
Nice. did you get one of the ebay fire sale guitars?

How's the finger doing? I played the past two evenings in a row for about 90m minutes. Feelin' pretty good. Gonna give it another go tonight....

Yes i got the ebay guitar. But i was backed up by a friend who would have bought it from me if i wasnt happy with it. It was a bargain but still alot of money to spend on a guitar i have never played or heard.

I replied to you on the Injuries thread. 90 minutes of playing, yes that would be my dream right now

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:46:13

Patrick

The West Coast actually has a lot of builders of many types of instruments. Portland has bunch of acoustic and classical builders as well as violin. Jeff Elliott is in Portland (classical builder). Paul Schuback (violins). Les Stansil (classical and flamenco) on the Oregon coast as well.

A hand built instrument show is held every year in Portland.

John (Shelton) may have insight into the number of builders in the area. He's likely been building longer on the West Coast than most anyone.

I know the climate in the Pacific Northwest is ideal for building.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 13:17:42

srshea

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to Patrick

Ah, now you’ve reminded me that Guild of American Luthiers is headquartered in Tacoma as well. I think they hold their conventions about a block from Gene Clark’s house. Lotsa building going on......

quote:

A hand built instrument show is held every year in Portland.

You know when and where? That sounds like a good time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 13:41:54

Patrick

quote:

You know when and where? That sounds like a good time.

Here you go:

http://www.nwmusicalinstrumentshow.org/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 13:47:46

srshea

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to Patrick

Hey, comin' up soon.

thanks!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 14:23:43

aeolus

My guess is they want to be close to that Monterey cypress. Not as choice as Royal Spanish, harvested from the grounds of the Palacio Real de Aranjuez. immortalized by our beloved Joaquin who was inspired by the sound of the wind whistling through the branches. But, nevertheless, domestic but good.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 3:07:55

el topo

Here in my area we have me, Brian Burns,Eric Monrad, Richard Prenkert and Marc Berry and I'm sure I am forgetting some.
p.s. I think comparing Spanish and Italian and Turkish cypress to Monterey and Mendocino cypress is a lot like saying French wine is superior to California wine. It ain't necessarily so.

Mira como son las cosas.
El clavel no tiene espinas.
La que tiene es la rosa!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 9:06:12

Samarto

Here is a list I compiled a while back.

West Coast Flamenco Guitar Makers

California

Lester DeVoe Nipomo, Ca.
Eric Monrad Healdsburg, Ca.
Jose Oribe Vista, Ca.
Glenn Canin San Francisco, Ca.
David Schramm Clovis, Ca.
Pepe Vergara Lake Forest, Ca.
Kenny Hill Ben Lomond, Ca.
Bruce Wood Alta Vista, Ca.
Stephen Faulk Oakland, Ca.
Michael Nguyen Santa Ana, Ca.
Richard Prenkert Santa Rosa, Ca.
Mark Berry Cotati, Ca.
Tomas Delgado Los Angeles, Ca.

Oregon

John Shelton Alsea, Or.
Susan Farretta Alsea, Or.
Robert Ruck Eugene, Or.
Les Stansell Pistol River, Or.
Peter Tsiorba Portland, Or.
Kerry Char Portland, Or.
Clarence Burnett Portland, Or.

Washington

Ethan Deutsch Seattle, Wa.
Drake Traphagen Bellingham, Wa.
Eric Sahlin Valley Ford, Wa.
Darren Hippner Point Roberts, Wa.
Steve Ganz Bellingham, Wa.

This is just the ones I am aware of that make flamenco guitars. There are many others that make Classical and may make flamencos, but don't advertise as such. I am sure I missed several as many don't advertise or have webpages. If you know of more, please add them to the list. If the list included all guitar makers, flamenco, classical, steel string, etc., it would easily go over a thousand.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 9:35:06

ngiorgio

Very informative list.

How did Antonio Loriente get on the list? That is a brand name of guitars produced in Spain for Tornavoz Music (G.S.I.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 9:50:54

veet

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to el topo

quote:

p.s. I think comparing Spanish and Italian and Turkish cypress to Monterey and Mendocino cypress is a lot like saying French wine is superior to California wine. It ain't necessarily so.

according to his newsletter, Lester DeVoe gets his tonewood from Germany
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 10:30:55

aeolus

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to veet

quote:

according to his newsletter, Lester DeVoe gets his tonewood from Germany

He is shown selecting spruce for tops in Europe, but he offers both Monterey and Spanish cypress for blancas with the Spanish at $100 extra which would reflect the cost of procurement rather than an indication of quality I would think. .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 11:15:53

Samarto

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to ngiorgio

quote:

Antonio Loriente

Can't remember who told me they had a Antonio Loriente made in Calif., but apparently they were confused. It is off the list.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 11:23:29

estebanana

The two very important flamenco builders not on that list on the West Coast who must be mentioned are:

Christopher Berkov of Novato CA

and Eugene Clark of Tacoma WA.

Chris Berkov is not well known outside of this area, but he's a very important guitar maker. He has retired from repair and restoration publically, but no list of West Coast, or American flamenco builders for that matter, would be complete without him. If you could contact him and get him to make you a guitar now you would be one lucky player.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 12:38:30

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: srshea

I’ve come to notice that there a LOT of flamenco builders here on the U.S. west coast.

Starting south and heading north you’ve got Devoe around the central coast, Faulk and Canin in the Bay Area, Ruck in Eugene, Tsiorba and Shelton-Farretta around Portland. California native Eugene Clark is just twenty minutes north of me; I know there are a couple guys in Seattle; there’s that guy up in Port Angeles or Port Roberts or Port Somewhere who was making affordable Santos copies that folks were saying good stuff about (something like that…). That’s just a top-of-the-head list, and I know I’m missing more than a few names.

What’s notable to me is that so many of these guys really are builders of note, putting out quality, respected work, and not just hobbyists.

So, I know we’ve got a lot of trees around here, but aside from that I’m curious to know if there’s anything that explains the uncanny preponderance of flamenco luthiers ‘round these parts. I know there are great builders out in other parts of the country, Blackshear, Brune, et al, but it really does seem like there’s an abundance of them in a relatively concentrated area here.

Are y’all actually from the places you live and work at, or did you migrate here; is this some kind of conspiracy; etc? Cheap spruce, relatively mild climate, stuff like that? What’s going on here?

I talked with John Gilbert in California, as he built classical and flamenco guitars at that time, and he told me, then, that he was not taking any more orders as he had a 25 year wait list. I think he must have retired before he finished that list, as his son now builds in that style.

I think California has always been a melting pot for guitar builders, for as long as I've been building; over 50 years now. But one thing I have to say about the information highway in those parts of the country is that many of the builders didn't have a clue about certain fine tuning issues until I brought it up some 32 years ago in one of the GAL booklets.

Even Charles Fox called me on the phone about a month after I took his 1995 class and told me that a group of international builders were at a guitar symposium in California, conversing about how they found how to make better sound by thinning out a little under the bridge area. He thought it was particularly funny since I had shared that technique with him a month earlier from my use of it 25 years before that.

Certainly, this was not my personal invention but a result of what I observed from some of the old master builders' guitars from Spain. The problem with American builders at that time, was too much scientific innovation and not enough looking at micro adjustments to improve balance and sound.

I shared this some years back in the GAL magazine to Cindy Burton who wrote the story with me as her information source.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2010 14:27:58

estebanana

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

I have to say a few things about Northern California regarding the flamenco guitar. I'm a bit of a historian of flamenco building in this area. I would agree in many ways the builders the US have looked right past the obvious solutions which is to study the Spanish guitars. On the other hand there is a balance of trying out new ideas and keeping what works from the past.

Northern California has not really been an area where guitar makers are overly scientific in their investigations. The notion from this area, that was mostly put forth by John Gilbert, is that the guitar can be engineered to sound a certain way. In some ways his guitars are very successful, and structurally he created a few conventions that really proved to be correct.

Strictly speaking to flamenco guitars, most of the steel string builders were not interested or never got it; and tried to make them overly complicated or messed up the aesthetic by decorating them. Those builders eventually realized flamenco players had no money and built archtops and other types of guitars that were more mainstream.

The kind of blood and guts intuitive building has always been quite alive here and passed along from builder to builder. Most of the steel string folks never understood the Spanish method or aesthetic or cared. For that matter neither do many of the classical builders. One thing that did happen here and continues to happen among the flamenco makers is that we don't let on we figured out how to voice the guitar.

The grandaddies of all of it in the Bay Area were Eugene Clark and Warren White and a few others like Gabe Sousa who all knew the ins and outs of the Spanish methods from first hand observation of the guitars coming from Spain in the late 1950's and early 60's . Those guys and the next wave of builders including Chris Berkov in the late 1960's all understood the Spanish guitar profoundly, and how to voice it.

Before the Fletas, Estesos, Barfberos, Santoses et al were in private collections under climate control today, they were played by regular musicians here in the Bay Area. Lots of Spanish instruments made it to this area which for more than 100 years has had a connection to flamenco from Spain. ( the roots are so long and tied to key people in Spain there's currently an archive project happening to document flamenco in Northern California) The consequence of the Spanish instruments being so close at hand is that Gene Clark and other builders in the 1950's were measuring and copying what they saw and felt.

All that information percolated down through the last three (or now four) generations of builders and there's a pretty pithy body of knowledge here. The confusion and weedy thinking happened later with advent of the catalogs published by the wood merchants who included articles designed to sell products arther than true Spanish construction methods. Those of us who are versed in traditional Spanish building know that it does not take a lot of tools to build a Spanish guitar, to a company selling tools that's a bad thing. The industry of suppliers began to come up with gagets to sell to builders and most of those gagets were designed by and made for steel string builders. They did not know beans about Spanish building and touched off a movement of over complicating the way the classical guitar was built and by extension also the flamenco.

All through this debacle there was a quiet small number of builders who did know how to build and voice classical and flamenco guitars in the Spanish way, but they never talked in any public way that would indicate there was anyone here who knew anything. In fact the opposite is true; in the Bay Area building flamenco guitars is kind of an open secret and always has been. The people who understand it either don't care to be public figures or they don't want to broadcast over the internet how to do it. Before the internet and the advent of all the hobby luthery with classes and seminars ect. the ones with the knowledge of how to build Spanish method were nearly not as active as those who understood steel string construction. The main thrust of the small luthiers movement was by the steel string makers and they were trying to turn from the hand building methods of Spain to jigging up to make lots of high quality steel string guitars. Most of them, even the very good ones, did not understand Spanish building and thought it was backwards. They were trying to and succeeded in, reinventing steel string building.

The guitar makers in Northern California who got Spanish method building were mainly on the sidelines during the first wave of the small builders movement and never really spoke to the subject in public, but there always has been a core of builders here who profoundly get Spanish guitars.

Mi tierra

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2010 22:43:24

srshea

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to estebanana

Stephen,

Wow, great post! Thanks for chipping in.

I got to visit Clark in his workshop last year and he bent my ear with an overabundance of luthier lore. He told me that he was doing non-stop repair work at certain points in the sixties, at one point having the entire living room of his Victorian stacked high with cases. As you said, this gave him intimate access to pretty much every make of guitar out there and a lot of hands-on knowledge.

Really, really cool dude, and a true afficionado, too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2010 23:54:57

JasonMcGuire

Warren White... he was family. Thanks for mentioning him. We just found another of his guitars for sale and my sister in law is going to try and get it as a memory of her papa.

Hey Stephen.... do you know how to voice a flamenco guitar? I couldn't tell by your post.

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 0:17:52

Samarto

additions
Monica Esparza, San Clemente, CA
Jason Wolverton, Laguna Beach, CA

and as Stephen mentioned before, John Gilbert. I think he is in Redwood City, but not sure.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 5:12:33

Samarto

quote:

So, I know we’ve got a lot of trees around here, but aside from that I’m curious to know if there’s anything that explains the uncanny preponderance of flamenco luthiers ‘round these parts.

In the northwest it is the available of tonewoods and makers can visit the suppliers and pick out their woods. Port Orford cedar and Alaskan yellow cedar have proven to be as good as cypress. Port Orford is actually a cypress. Best yet IMO is the availability of seasoned maple for making a real traditional flamenco. Amazing at some of the stashes of old tonewoods perfect for flamenco in the northwest.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 5:45:37

estebanana

couple of other loose things:

The climate here not perfect for guitar making. California and the West Coast varies dramatically in average relative humidity. It means there are micro climates and hot and cool spots. Near the water the humidity runs higher on average, but 15 miles to the East it's different on the other side of the coastal mt. range.

In Southern California there are periods of time during the year when the humidity drops so low the dryness will crack your face open. The Santa Ana winds blow in off the Mohave Desert to create those conditions. Sometimes it's even too low to make a guitar! Most of the time however luthiers fight against humidity that is too high.

You can tell in your skin and your body when the the humidity is perfect if you get in tune with it, but most of the time it's not and you have to rely on dehumidifying your space. But in the end the old school guitar makers really stress that any cross grain gluing needs to be done near the right humidity levels and that for same grain joints it's not as critical ( within reason). The modern take on humidity is to be as anal retentive as possible, but you can get away with feeling the right amount of dryness in the air if you are sensitive. Think about how the Spanish guitar makers before electricity and dehumidifiers worked..........yeah take that to heart.

It's off the topic a bit, but my point is that in this area there's been a long history of independent guitar makers who have done it by being atuned to the environment and then making reference to the humidity dial. Somedays I wake up and feel the air and say this would be an excellent day to brace a top! Then I go to the shop and check the dial on the gauge and it confirms my feeling. Chris Berkov taught me that.

The other thing that wrankles builders here are the ones who sell too cheaply. We all studied this stuff for years and we put our hearts, intelligence and lives into making guitars. When someone comes along and makes subpar handmade instruments for unrealistically low prices it makes it hard for those who strive for excellence to continue. It's like a guitarist going around poaching gigs by telling restaurant owners they will undercut another groups price by half. We deserve the prices we ask for because we payed our dues and make the best stuff.

It's not fair, but neither is life. All I can say is you get what you pay for when buying a cheap guitar. And if you seek cheap repair work, free advice is worth what you pay for it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 10:53:17

JasonMcGuire

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to Samarto

quote:

Monica Esparza, San Clemente, CA

She publicly insulted Glenn Canin's guitars of all people right after I spoke highly of her right in this very Foro. She does build a good guitar but the WAY she chose to speak of her fellow and in my opinion FAR superior luthier..... kind of left a bad taste in my mouth after trying to spread the word about her guitars.

I was at the Oakland Airport and they had one of her instruments in a display case of local luthiers....In my opinion, the instrument was over decorated and looked like a mariachi guitar.

J

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2010 11:27:08

cathulu

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to JasonMcGuire

What's the big deal about public insults anyways? Maybe she was just speaking her mind?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2010 21:17:41

Tom Blackshear

RE: Luthiers on the U.S. West Coast.... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana
The grandaddies of all of it in the Bay Area were Eugene Clark and Warren White and a few others like Gabe Sousa who all knew the ins and outs of the Spanish methods from first hand observation of the guitars coming from Spain in the late 1950's and early 60's . Those guys and the next wave of builders including Chris Berkov in the late 1960's all understood the Spanish guitar profoundly, and how to voice it.

Mi tierra

I talked to Eugene Clark by phone the other day and business seems to be finding its way to his door. A friend of mine in San Antonio Texas actually designed the rose rosette that Warren White used on his guitars, his name was Graydon Buss. We used to play together for the dancers here in the 60's. Graydon was a research Physicist at SWRI here in SA. He had a genius level way of building jigs to make guitars with; especially the jig to make rosettes so tiny that got Warren White interested in using his design.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2010 3:34:28
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote