Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in Mexico according to one source   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

For a great number of years, Stanley Unwin, urivalled master of "gobbledegook", through his lectures on science and philosophy to audiences all over Britain (including the major Universities!) went under the title "Professor Stanley Unwin".

Classic. I loved him to bits when I was a kid. "King Alfred of the burnt capers"

And the wonderful Count Arthur Strong on archeology.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:14:34

Ron.M

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

And the wonderful Count Arthur Strong

HaHa...

I always look forward to Count Arthur's radio broadcasts!!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:20:06

GuitarVlog

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to gj Michelob

I wouldn't mind seeing the Fakemenco website resurrected with just "the professor".

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:24:31

Estevan

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Estevan

quote:

I asked him to tell us which university had granted him the title of Professor.

Had he been a pianist in another style of music, it wouldn't have been a question of which university, but which whorehouse had conferred on him the title of Professor, or Doctor:

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 12:29:59

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 12 2010 16:12:20
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 13:23:09

orsonw

Something here possibly from a representative of Paco de Lucia's website? Includes the comment- "Well, speaking of the subject of guitars ANDALUCIA GUITARS if I break the rules that I just commented because if it is a subject that makes the dumb speak and of course is in the hands of our lawyers."

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://guitarra.artelinkado.com/foros/showthread.php%3Ft%3D6561&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&usg=ALkJrhg9ppfy3EuT1HM_KWNEl_IPgUYbvQ

There are some beautiful expressions on these Spanish forums, for example referring to R.Diaz-

"the guy makes 15 videos but repeated more than a monkey of fair"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 13:31:30

Andy Culpepper

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Guest

quote:

UNTIL now
http://www.myspace.com/gypsycrims

Hahahahaaaa..

ANDALUSIAN GUITARS OF SPAIN ARE NOW THE MOST PRESTIGOUS GUITAR MAKERS IN SPAIN

Man that's the dude that sold out and became one of Ruben's drones... do you think the Doctor implanted a chip in his brain???

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 16:03:17

Florian

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

Getting ANY type of Flamenco guitar in AUSTRALIA is an ordeal
let alone HOW much we have to pay
UNTIL now
http://www.myspace.com/gypsycrims

mate spare yourself...delete that and run...couple of weeks ago...he tried adding the same **** here people didnt buy it and out of the blue and without saying a word to him i got accused of secretly turning everyone here against him and how i have a personal vendeta against him ....and got personal

u know its just not worth it unless you ready for 20 emails and paranoid messages

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 16:17:55

GuitarVlog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan
There is still a difference. When this whole weird business erupted the first time around after Ruben started bombarding the foro a few months ago, I asked him to tell us which university had granted him the title of Professor. In characteristic fashion, his response (as with any simple question, it seems) was to rudely change the subject. That speaks volumes.

Maybe it's not our place to do so, but shouldn't someone advise the RCM in Toronto that this person is creating the false impression that he is a "professor" on their faculty or at least suggest that they examine his behaviour on this forum and how he is misrepresenting himself?

Even as a teacher of the community-oriented conservatory school, he is creating a poor image of the RCM. Quite seriously, I thought poorly of the RCM when he started posting to the foro and came to the conclusion that it was probably not a good school for aspiring professionals until Estevan provided his clarifications.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 16:27:37

Estevan

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to GuitarVlog

GuitarVlog, your feeling is understandable, But my impression is that the RCM under the current administration is happy as long as a teacher is bringing in money. One of Ruben's positive qualities is that he enjoys teaching beginners, and that is what they wanted.

In time, Ruben's misrepresentations will inevitably take care of themselves. It's what is called in medical terms a "self-limiting condition".

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 16:56:51

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 12 2010 16:11:49
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 20:29:26

Florian

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Guest

quote:

Avoid the hate mail from him....best to run or ship back to the planet he came from.

too late mate ...fu*it it... spoke my mind on the fakemnco thread...he brought out my name once again... i am sick of backing down out of fear of his spite

despite of everything hes done I keep backing down, i keep not getting involved, i keep not giving my opinions he keeps mentioning me..

he can bite me

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 20:32:34

jaggedsphere

As much as anyone I would like to know about the builder of AG.

There are a number of unique features in their construction.

The super thin bridge profile
the radically tilted headstock
the bone/ebony/bone nut
(has anyone used these before?)

I am an amateur musician but I consider myself a semi-expert judge of acoustic guitar design. I REALLY want to know who builds these.(dont care as much as to where)
The action is very even on this instrument the finish is a satin (poly?) neck is very thin and is of good stock but with some dark lines running the length of the grain.

The sound is awesome! seriously! I work in a music store in the guitar department. All day long I'm testing high end BRAND names(Gibson,Taylor) and this AD guitar I own is superb sounding. the ears tell me that there is loads of volume, that there is a very well balanced mid and clear tops.

When I first got it home I thought it sounded like 6 screaming angles!

in fact I would like to produce an acoustic resonance test on my own guitars and a few from the store.

another note: if you tap the bridge you can clearly hear a Bb note. the top is perfectly(to my ear) to a Bb

the purfling on the interior is uneven and unsymmetrical. although using a small mirror I inspected the edges the see if the purfling was evenly formed on the glue side and it all looks OK. each purfling is fitted to it's location along the bodies contours.

Very little glue run out.

All in all I felt it was a good opportunity to own what to me sounded like a superb instrument.

Just so you guys know, I'm gear NUTS. I really really like this guitar. I do not know if it was given to me because I know alot about guitars and would notice a poorly constructed instrument in under a minute...(A stock)

On another note.

The RCM(its Royal because King George wanted it so...RCM comprises a large section of MAJOR downtown Toronto real estate. It is a major cultural centre for Canada. In fact I can use my exam scores towards university credits!
RCM is a hell of a building! Acoustically balanced rooms each with a window overlooking the CN tower, and a quality grand piano for each room!! LOTS of canadian tax payer money goes towards this place...so don't knock my current favourite institution. OK?

About Ruben,

He is always so polite and friendly and welcoming to me. He smiles alot and it is very apparent all he cares about is teaching, playing music and talking about Andalusian Guitars.
He certainly does talk alot(so do alot of people I know!(could explain why others see me as 'the quiet type'.
I have no problems and I don't think anyone else here would have problems if they met him in person.

1 more thing: photoshopping a person into embarrassing and intentionally cruel images is petty, unkind and childish.

Anyway I feel like this may be a song for the snakes but I gotta say what I gotta say.

Peace, love and good emotions and all those thing most people do not seem to care about.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 20:57:48

XXX

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to jaggedsphere

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaggedsphere
He smiles alot and it is very apparent all he cares about is teaching, playing music and talking about Andalusian Guitars.

LoL this actually doesnt sound so good as you thought!
But yeah you might be right about him as a person (he probably IS nice), but that is the tragic thing, that he ruins it for himself by having offended the members here and trying to convince everything and everybody of his opinion on Paco and AG.
Btw, sorry, but working in a music store (if its not a flamenco-store) and being knowledgeable on Flamenco guitars are two different things.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 2:32:50

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaggedsphere

I consider myself a semi-expert judge of acoustic guitar design.

quote:

All day long I'm testing high end BRAND names(Gibson,Taylor), and this AD guitar I own is superb sounding.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 3:04:07

Mike_Kinny

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Arash

The truth is that just see his post and you get an idea of how this may be the turkey.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 6:16:01

Ricardo

quote:

As much as anyone I would like to know about the builder of AG.

Really??? Then ask your teacher. If he is so kind and generous, he will tell you.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 7:47:33

jaggedsphere

Beware...

anyways,

I still want to know who the builder is...

Any one have constructive input on this? I am thinking that because the bridge and headstock designs are so distinct there has to be some early examples of his/hers work.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 16:48:17

kovachian

quote:

I still want to know who the builder is
Seriously, next time you see Ruben, ask him. You more than anyone else here have insider access.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 17:37:54

jaggedsphere

I know, I know, I have asked, BEGGED and pleaded! But he told me he is not allowed to say and he will only say that he believes that the guitar should speak for itself. He has said that these are made by an older man and his two assistants. Small shop, hand made.

haha it just occurred to me that I should pretend to know(where/who makes them) and get yall going...lol that would be sweet

I am pretty happy with my AG. It sounds better than my factory made Rameriz 4e and sounds waay better than any of the nylons at work...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 17:48:06

JasonMcGuire

In the Canary Islands......

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 20:37:52

JasonMcGuire

quote:

I am pretty happy with my AG. It sounds better than my factory made Rameriz 4e and sounds waay better than any of the nylons at work...

Thats not really saying much now is it?

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 20:39:22

Michael1917

You know, Ruben Diaz may be a decent flamenco guitar player but this whole story just gets weirder and weirder. A guitar dealer who carries Andalusian guitars told me that the guitars are made in the Canary Islands by one luthier and one apprentice, but would not name the people because of some contract agreement. And now the faculty listing at the conservatory has Ruben listed but there are no academic credentials in his bio .. anywhere. Many of the other faculty list their credentials. I do not believe it is necessary to have any degrees or diplomas to be a guitar player -- absurd notion -- but that Diaz presents himself to the public as a "professor" is really disappointing and, if he has no credential, it is dishonest. I think Hunter S. Thompson had at least an "honorary" degreee, hence Dr. Thompson. But this latest revelation on Diaz is unpleasant, to say the least. (And then the Mexico link from earlier -- guitars likely built in Mexico while they are marketed as being hand built in Espana.) Geez Louise.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 20:48:01

Mike_Kinny

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Michael1917

quote:

Diaz presents himself to the public as a "professor" is really disappointing and, if he has no credential, it is dishonest.

And he is definitely no Paco disciple as you can see in this photo.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 22:10:40

CuerdasDulces

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Aug. 26 2010 0:52:27
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 22:51:05

XXX

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to Mike_Kinny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike_Kinny
And he is definitely no Paco disciple as you can see in this photo.

Vince Amego fits really well in that picture. MAybe put some Canizares and Nino Josele in there too?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2010 3:33:29

Estevan

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to CuerdasDulces

quote:

What are you talking about? it is clear that he was, as you can see in this pic. He actually prefered Sabicas more than Paco though.

- because he didn't recognize Paco, he thought it was Salvador Dalí. I don't blame him.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2010 3:45:35

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan

quote:

What are you talking about? it is clear that he was, as you can see in this pic. He actually prefered Sabicas more than Paco though.

- because he didn't recognize Paco, he thought it was Salvador Dalí. I don't blame him.

But it IS Salvador Dali?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2010 3:48:54

Mike_Kinny

RE: Andalusian Guitars are made in M... (in reply to XXX

quote:

Vince Amego fits really well in that picture. MAybe put some Canizares and Nino Josele in there too?

You are damn right, I hadn't noticed that Vicente is also there.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2010 4:44:33

gj Michelob

quote:

Agreed Patrick, I have a thing for Mexico and plan a documentary in Paracho one day. I have no problem with beautiful things that are made in Mexico.... I married one.

I completely agree with your views, in fact I find it disgracefully shameful that anyone should be embarrassed of exporting a guitar from there. German Vazquez Rubio is a luthier from and trained in Mexico, proud of his origins and earning true nobility through the beauty of his work.

And then of course we have Navarro and Castillo, still working from there, exporting scrupulously built quality instruments, of which they and their “Country of Origin” can be unconditionally proud.

To fake the country of origin is a criminal misconduct which offends the real country of origin along with the country falsely declared.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2010 13:00:49
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software powered by ASP Playground Advanced Edition 2.0.5