Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Aire of Foro   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Arturo

Aire of Foro 

Please forgive me but there has been something bothering me lately. I have been a member of this forum for a very short time.

I am here because I want to learn more about flamenco and discuss it with like minded people.

My problem is that the aire here is muy antipático. I have been exposed to everything from support for the Taliban, (that was a shocker for an American like me), to a black list of players, (now removed). There seems to be a great deal of anger expressed here and less about flamenco. Have I come at a bad time or is this just how things are?

Gracias, Arturo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 11:02:36

Ron.M

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to Arturo

That's just how things are around here Arturo, it's a pretty boisterous place with a lot of arguments and some of the most experienced players you'll find anywhere in the World.

If you need a quieter place you could try Captain Bob's Oldschool Flamenco...

That's all I can offer I'm afraid...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 11:09:43

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arturo

I have been exposed to everything from support for the Taliban, (that was a shocker for an American like me),

i have been exposed as a suicide bomber by Ron in the past, just because i am iranian !

but as you can see, i am still alive, so Ron was wrong !

---

don't take things too seriously here ;-)

have some fun (and sometimes there are also some usefull threads )

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 11:15:38

minordjango

i was thinkg the same Arturo , really was, couple of folk need to get more of a life ??

nah... as Ron says its pretty full-on, all good , brilliant info here, some times a lot off things are over looked, no prob just re-post !

Ron, where can i get my teeth into some flamenco in ENgland ! any one about ? and decent teachers ? , or flamenco guitar societies ?

(just trying to get back to it !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 11:16:54

Ron.M

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to minordjango

quote:

Ron, where can i get my teeth into some flamenco in ENgland ! any one about ? and decent teachers ? , or flamenco guitar societies ?

Hi md,

UK is not the best place for Flamenco, as I told you some months earlier before you came here.
I suppose you could try Sweden or Belgium...but probably Spain would have more to offer IMO.

Seriously though, apart from London and an amateur peña in Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire that meets once a month or so, I've heard of nothing else...nada except some occasional dance group involving housewives that want to lose weight and are tired of line-dancing at their local community hall and want to try something different and have a go at doing exercises to "Viva España".

Scotland is even worse, so it's not even worth bothering looking anywhere....probably better going to Germany, Holland or the USA.

All in all, the Internet is by FAR your best resource...

(You should have had more faith in me md...I don't tell you no BS! )

Maybe some English enthusiasts can help md out here with the Flamenco scene in their locality?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 12:03:05

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

That's just how things are around here Arturo, it's a pretty boisterous place with a lot of arguments and some of the most experienced players you'll find anywhere in the World.

It was pretty calm here until Arash started provoking everyone a few weeks ago...lol

IMO the lack of accurate information about flamenco and the strong opinions of the players on this site--many of whom are very talented---make some of these arguments necessary--too bad though since it's necessary far less often then it occurs. I guess the alternative is to allow random people to spam the site with their impressions of flamenco as a form of world music usually performed in 4/4 time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 12:11:11

at_leo_87

Arturo,
along with all the bad arguments, fights, etc, there's A LOT of good info and support here that you will not find anywhere else on the internet, imo. i feel i owe a lot of my progress to this forum.

though there's a lot of bs sometimes, it's up to you what you want to focus your attention on.

like anything else in the world, this forum is not perfect. it's up to us to contribute and pay attention to the nice stuff and to try to resist adding to the pile of bs. which is very hard sometimes.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 12:11:20

Randal

quote:

If you need a quieter place you could try Captain Bob's Oldschool Flamenco...

Or Falseta..? I joined there about the same time I joined here....and I'm still waiting for something to...happen.

http://www.myspace.com/birdtranescoenow

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 12:23:13

Florian

Its not always like that Arturo :-)

every now and then it happens but mostly is very good

there is always disagrement cause u cant have flamenco discussions without disagreement...but its mostly good..respectfull

what you have witnessed is the result of a few other things... that dont ussualy happen

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 12:24:28

Graham_B

Yes its a colourful, boisterous forum - its certainly not boring

But look at all the positive stuff going on such as recording uploads and feedback, challenges, etc.

I cannot think of any online resource as diverse and useful for a flamenco guitarist - and its free
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 12:27:40

Doitsujin

I didt saw what Arturo wrote about but I cant imagine that anybody here would seriously draw parallels between terrorists and members here... That would be a reason to instant ban I guess. Must have been a misunderstanding of a weird joke...

Many of the people here know each other already for many years.. I remember when I registered here for the first time many years ago.. I saw a thread about a picado-competition and found it so curious that I registered. Well..I saw this thread because I was screening the net this time for free tabultures in the net... I used a funny name which some people didnt found so funny and I recommended the people to spend more time playing guitar than reading the foro.. We ended up with a heated discussion...some misunderstandings...bad words and I was banned. Curious... I felt bad somehow and tried to clarify the problems. Because of the relaxed open minded moderators Ron and Escribando... I got back in the foro and the people were really nice to me.. So..I digged a little deeper in the threads..and the foro became a drug to me. Much informations, relaxed not to stocky atmosphere.. from time to time some really crazy people drop in and freak out.. hehe Very entertaining. I love it.
So..and because we know each other for such a long time..some jokes that sound very harsh to new people arent that evil. So dont worry.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 14:12:19

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to Graham_B

you can learn a lot just by reading some of the threads here, when there's an argument you can easily ignore it and avoid being attacked by being diplomatic...there are many egos here and to be a flamenco guitarist you certainly need that...so there's bound to be confrontations but once you get to know the people here you'll learn when not to take certain comments too seriously...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 14:13:20

Pimientito

Don't forget Arturo that the flamenco world isnt that big. Many of the members know each other personally so the boundaries between them are much less formal than a more anonimous forum. If you are new then don't worry about ongoing fights between certain members. They have been going on for years and probably still will be in 10 years time. Its a lot less serious than it looks.

As someone else said, there are some strong personalities and some real flamencos here so you can learn a lot....and if you think its boisterous here then get ready for a shock when you come to Spain!

If you want to be really popular then bring up the subjects of Conde hermanos, Bullfighting, Florians right hand position, Juan Martins nationality and Ottmar Liebert at every opportunity...I guarantee you will get lots of response

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 14:47:23

Arash

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pgh_flamenco

It was pretty calm here until Arash started provoking everyone a few weeks ago...lol

lol

if there would be no Arash, then probably you would all be buying Andalusian Guitars for 20K each, and practicing Ottmar Lieberts "Spanish Night" on it.

so please be a little more respectful to your foro-sherlok holmes

;-)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 14:55:48

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to Arash

quote:

if there would be no Arash, then probably you would all be buying Andalusian Guitars for 20K each

Not me--I already placed an order for one of the $100 Chinese copies.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 15:00:16

XXX

hm, Arash, the fact that you even know the title of an OL song makes you SUSPICIOUS in my eyes! But you probably already payed to get off Jason's list
I dont visit any other forum, but i find it this place to be very civilized.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 15:04:11

Arash

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

hm, Arash, the fact that you even know the title of an OL song makes you SUSPICIOUS in my eyes! But you probably already payed to get off Jason's list
I dont visit any other forum, but i find it this place to be very civilized. Well, compare to any taliban forum it probably is.

LOL Deniz, this is really funny, because "spanish night" was just made-up by me the second i posted

but i wouldn't be surprised if a track with exactly this name from OL would actually exist.
is there a piece with such a name?

LOL this is funny

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 15:09:57

XXX

I couldnt find such a piece by him. LOL.
The way you said it - " Ottmar Lieberts "Spanish Night" " - made me really believe it.
It shocked me likewise when Doit admitted using that music to get laid. If thats not fake-fakemenco i dont know it. You have to listen to it because you like it. Otherwise you are no true fakemenco aficionado. Dont ignore tradition. In my opinon, LOL.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 15:24:16

Estevan

Amic Arturo,

Everything that has been said in response to your concerns is true. This foro is not just a great source of very valuable information, but a virtual neighbourhood bar where friends meet to shoot the s*it and joke around as well as compare experiences and share advice.

Just be patient. (And selective).

que vagi bé
Estevan

P.S.
quote:

I have been exposed to ... support for the Taliban

I missed that one - where was that?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 16:51:01

Arturo

Gracias everyone,

Thank you so much for your answers. They help me to better understand what must be the passion of flamenco.

I have much to learn. My concern was that the conversations were creating more heat than light. I can see now that is not the case. I must admit some of them are entertaining.

This foro is rich in talent and I am lucky to have found you.

Arturo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 19:46:19

JasonMcGuire

quote:

My concern was that the conversations were creating more heat than light. I can see now that is not the case. I must admit some of them are entertaining.

hmmmm I wonder what on Earth you could possibly be referring to. Welcome Arturo, we have fun, make jokes, learn, teach, make mistakes, get in arguments etc.... just like most families.

Enjoy!

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 23:34:38

Arash

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to JasonMcGuire

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonMcGuire

Welcome Arturo, we have fun, make jokes, learn, teach, make mistakes, get in arguments etc.... just like most families.

Enjoy!

exactly.

i couldn't be a member of a forum, where everything would be perfect:
like some kind of Wikipedia of flamenco guitar, shining with soap and water, spit and polish, where all posts are written by some flamenco robots. and once a year, as a highlight, visit a flamenco museum together or something LoL

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2010 5:59:41

Estevan

And by the way, Arturo, don't worry about Arash. Luckily for everyone, he was a total failure as a suicide bomber, but after leaving that career path he still needed an outlet for self-destructive thrill-seeking, and like many of us found that learning flamenco was the answer.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2010 6:54:02

Arash

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to Estevan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan

And by the way, Arturo, don't worry about Arash. Luckily for everyone, he was a total failure as a suicide bomber, but after leaving that career path he still needed an outlet for self-destructive thrill-seeking, and like many of us found that learning flamenco was the answer.

haha exactly

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2010 6:59:53

bursche

quote:

I have much to learn, to be enlightened.

No one here wants to be enlightened. We all are humble persons and just search for a least little share of the huge flamenco cake.
"enlightened" is a trademark of Professor Ruben Diaz anyway.

I think you'll have a good time here.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2010 9:13:59

Arturo

No enlightenment for me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2010 10:34:34

minordjango

quote:

housewives that want to lose weight and are tired of line-dancing

love that ron , well im a little young for that , but hold on , i like to plan in advance maybe i can seduce a few woman with my Rih hand rolls

so no thriving flamenco seen in the old scotland yard, all good im enjoying mighty England, too much i have forgotten guitar.

Arturo gets a little full on here and im with ya too, but as folks said everyones different, and many many cool things here, for many of us its like a breath of fresh idea, and entertaining, better than sliced bread !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2010 23:12:13

Florian

RE: Aire of Foro (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Florians right hand position

u bastard i tought we were friends..dont check your mail for a xmass card from me this year jk.

all jokes aside welcome Arturo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2010 8:39:29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote