Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Did "The Blues" originate in Scotland?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Did "The Blues" originate ... 

Hi Folks,

When I was about 21 or so, I shared a flat with a guy who was from Glencoe who was an amazing character and introduced me to all sorts of West Highland culture including the music, culture and single distillery malts.

I came across a conversation I was having with Estevan last year and thought maybe some folks here might find it interesting.

Here is an example of the "Mouth Music" in Gaelic Psalms.
The song is in a "call and reply" kinda form, with the singing being led by
a "precentor" (usually called "the meenister" ).

I quite like the stuff actually and I must admit it does put me in mind of
black prisoner "chain gang" kind of song.
Very "bluesy" and haunting, although I have heard even more convincing
examples.

Scotland had a very close association with the the Southern United States hundreds of years ago and many Presbyterian fired adventurers stayed on there, some to become Plantation Managers due to their strict work ethic, (with everybody having Sundays off so they could go to Church to sing in Praise of The Lord and meditate on the Bible teachings.)

http://www.musicscotland.com/cd/salm-vol-2-gaelic-psalms-from-hebrides.html

Just click "play" on the embedded player.

Also here is an interesting newspaper article...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/gospel-truth-hebrides-invented-church-spirituals-580565.html

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 9:58:12

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Did "The Blues" origin... (in reply to Ron.M

Ron, you’re not really pushing the envelope with this one. The belief that blues came from the folk music played by English and Scottish immigrants to the USA is widely accepted and even taught in grade school music classes over here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 12:09:37

Randal

I think that the contribution made to blues and jazz from the Afro-Caribbean is more the rhythmic element.

http://www.myspace.com/birdtranescoenow

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 12:59:09

Escribano

RE: Did "The Blues" origin... (in reply to Randal

quote:

I think that the contribution made to blues and jazz from the Afro-Caribbean is more the rhythmic element.

The call and response thing, I heard in West Africa but that could have come from missionaries some 200 years before. The main memory for me is "high-life" wonderful happy, dancing guitar Reggae roots perhaps. Add a latin beat and you got Cuba nailed as well, no?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 13:06:43

Randal

Yah mon

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 13:18:02

Randal

quote:

quote:

quote:

That (the rhythmic element), btw, is why you flamencos are so cool..

Also btw...why is this site so difficult for me to get the "quote" function down?

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 13:20:34

Ron.M

RE: Did "The Blues" origin... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

The main memory for me is "high-life" wonderful happy, dancing guitar

Well, exactly...

It sounds more like Carribbean "Calypso".

I worked all the way up the West coast of Africa for 6 months and heard NOTHING that ever resembled Blues.

Randal is talking about African "rhythms" which I must agree on.

But we're not talking about that, but more of the "free-form", "palo seco" stuff in the beginnings or roots of the Blues.

Sure... I admit there was nobody in the Hebrides playing like BB King or Bo Diddly back then (that I've ever heard of anyway).

Anyway, it's not me that's making or supporting the claim, but a Black jazz musician and musicologist who has played with Dizzy Gillespie etc!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 13:26:36

Randal

Some of those jazzers, though, have some pretty crazy things..

You know, though...when B.B. was scufflin on Beale Street with an acoustic guitar, he probably sounded a lot different than what he is known for today. Blues research is fascinating (like flamenco, probably); country blues must have been amazing to hear--we only have some crude field recordings, and what the Lomacks eked-out before the recognition of W.C. Handy. The minstrel tradition encompassed some pretty rootsy stuff, all this converging with hot rhythm and Western harmony in New Orleans produced the most amazing music in history--from James Brown to Bud Powell to Anthony Braxton.

But, so often you hear the term "blues" associated with musicians from West Africa, when what we hear is highlife and juju and that stuff. As you guys mentioned, the influence from the Afro-Caribbean and Brazilian tradition is really what you hear throughout this music. It's as if the cart is before the horse..

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 13:39:01

Escribano

quote:

I worked all the way up the West coast of Africa for 6 months and heard NOTHING that ever resembled Blues.

Me neither, not a squeak. Oil man, eh?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 13:53:05

kozz

Try to follow the path of the Griots in Africa, and you'll find some blues.
Here are a few clips from Ali farka Toure and Boubacar Traore:

en perhaps more recognizable as blues:

The Highlife thing kinda overshadowed all the beautifull music from Africa. I have a love for Ghana music (afrobeat), Mali (bluesy) and Ethiopian (more religious but also jazz like Mulatu Astatke).

In my opionion, blues has it roots everywhere, and not one specific place.
I dont know much about blues, but definitaly can hear it when it is "white", pretty much like Fakemenco I suppose.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 14:14:04

Randal

I forgot abou those guys. I've Ali Farka's "The Source" around here somewhere--I've got to listen to it again.

I agree with you about the ubiquitousness of "the blues."

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 14:29:36

Ron.M

RE: Did "The Blues" origin... (in reply to kozz

quote:

Here are a few clips from Ali farka Toure and Boubacar Traore:

en perhaps more recognizable as blues:

Yeah Kozz, but that is kinda "after" the event.

You mean this guy didn't have access to any American Blues records?

According to Wiki...

"Traoré first came to prominence in the early 1960s. He had taught himself to play guitar and developed a unique style that blended American Blues music, Arab music, and pentatonic structures found in West Africa's Mande cultural region".

This is a bit like saying that the roots of Electric Blues guitar are not only American, but can also be traced to England and supporting your claim with footage of early John Mayall and Eric Clapton.

What I'm talking about are the roots of unaccompanied "spirituals" as sung by the slave Plantation workers and chain gangs 200 years ago.

I'm not very knowledgeable about European Folk music of that time, but I am not aware of any that used that kinda "drone", "modal?" sound with "sliding" or "bending" some notes up a semitone or so (as in early Negro Spirituals), except Gaelic "Mouth Music" in Scotland and also in Irish "whistle" playing.

I would have no special "pride" or anything if it were true that the eary roots or seeds of the Blues came from Scotland/ Ireland...but I must admit I find it quite compelling and at least interesting.

To say that the Blues "has it's roots everywhere " is a completely unhelpful and dismissive statement IMO and is about as useful as saying that the roots of anything come from everywhere.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 0:58:38

kozz

quote:

Yeah Kozz, but that is kinda "after" the event.

Yeah, of course...it was a reaction you and simon couldn't find any blues in West Africa.

quote:

To say that the Blues "has it's roots everywhere " is a completely unhelpful and dismissive statement IMO and is about as useful as saying that the roots of anything come from everywhere.

Fair enough.

quote:

I would have no special "pride" or anything if it were true that the eary roots or seeds of the Blues came from Scotland/ Ireland...but I must admit I find it quite compelling and at least interesting.

Didn't even cross my mind.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 5:48:50

NormanKliman

Hi Ron,

It doesn't seem too unlikely to me, although adjectives made up most of the information in that newspaper article. A black expert's opinion, and I suppose he wasn't given the opportunity to express himself at length, but still I would have liked to see specific and/or technical references.

I remember reading that a number of blues lyrics, like St. James Infirmary, can be traced back to the UK and/or Ireland. There might be a connection, but that would have been a long time ago, don't you think? The same format might have been used in the beginning, but obviously it developed on its own course after a certain point. In that sense, I see a similar situation (and similar difficulty in drawing conclusions) involving gypsies, ancient Spanish music and flamenco.

From the article:

quote:

There is a notion that when African slaves arrived in America they came down the gangplanks of slave ships singing gospel music...

Personally, this kind of reasoning (exaggerated and simplistic) doesn't inspire faith or even patience in me to hear the rest of what he's got to say. But that's just the grouchy old man in me . In any case, I'm quoting this just to point out that most informed people would never even consider such a scenario.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 7:10:29

Randal

quote:

I'm not very knowledgeable about European Folk music of that time, but I am not aware of any that used that kinda "drone", "modal?" sound with "sliding" or "bending" some notes up a semitone or so (as in early Negro Spirituals), except Gaelic "Mouth Music" in Scotland and also in Irish "whistle" playing.

I'm no musicologist and I lack the knowledge to cite any specifics, but I'm thinking that much early music was modal-based; Gregorian chant, and Eastern European (Bulgaria) folk music, for example. As for "blue notes"--flatted 3rds, 5ths, 7ths--again, I'll have to do some crtitical listening, but I hear a lot of bent notes in Eastern European folk music, and Indian music..

Not to be dismissive at all about your valid observations, Ron--which I appreciate for your clarity . But in applying some lattitude for diffusion and parallelism, I suspect that there is more commonality throughout our endeavors than we're aware. Wasn't it Chomsky who theorized an evolutionary trait in language development that equated to a "universal grammar?" I apply far too much intuition on such matter...which is why I appreciate your more disciplined approach!

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 7:56:20

Ron.M

RE: Did "The Blues" origin... (in reply to NormanKliman

quote:

I remember reading that a number of blues lyrics, like St. James Infirmary, can be traced back to the UK and/or Ireland. There might be a connection, but that would have been a long time ago, don't you think?

Hi Norman,

I'm not taliking about Blues from the 1910's or 20's or whatever...much earlier.

I'm sure lyrics would not have come into it at all, only the "sound", since these services were held in the Gaelic language only, never English.

The Western Highlands of Scotland are completely different from the rest of Scotland, with their own language (Gaelic) and customs. Of course they now speak English perfectly, but with a pronounced accent.

My highland friend and I would go to a couple of Gaelic Pubs in Glasgow where unobtainable Malts were served and great music was played and I mixed in that community amongst the young folk from the Highlands and Islands that had come down to Glasgow to seek employment or attend college or Uni.

I even dated some of the very beautiful Highland girls as well, who were as up to date and "cool" as any Glasgow girls, but had this infuriating habit of talking Gaelic to their (girl) friends in the pub while you were there.

So you didn't know if they were talking about you or not.

Probably my most vivid memory was at a party in a Glasgow tenament top flat, where at 2 in the morning someone unpacked a set of powerful outdoor bagpipes and began to play some inspired traditional solo piping, full belt.

Naturally, the neighbours called the Police, but on a Saturday night they sent only the rookies, so when the Police hammered on the door and it was opened...one of the partygoers recognised the coppers as old schoolfriends from Lewis...

"Donal! Hamish!.....come away in!"

So they did, took their hats off and had a dram!

Western Highland culture is as different as mainstream Spain and the Gitanos of Andalucia and cannot be lumped together as "Scotland" IMO.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2010 10:57:16

NormanKliman

Ron, that was an entertaining read! It's interesting to see the depth and breadth of cultural differences in the UK, the rest of Europe and many parts of the world. The US probably has the greatest cultural diversity, but it's an entirely different thing. What I see in the rest of the world makes political borders seem artificial and irrelevant.

quote:

...powerful outdoor bagpipes...

It's funny how some words combine for even greater effect. Not so funny with a hangover, though...

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2010 23:36:35

Estevan

quote:

I'm quoting this just to point out that most informed people would never even consider such a scenario.

But most people are not informed (see 'Fakemenco', 'Robert Johnson, Father of the Blues', the 'War on Terror', etc. etc.) and journalists of the popular press take this into consideration. So that line doesn't invalidate the rest of the article.
quote:

But that's just the grouchy old man in me

maybe you've just been reading too much Ron

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 5:31:37

NormanKliman

RE: Did "The Blues" origin... (in reply to Estevan

quote:

So that line doesn't invalidate the rest of the article.

Or course it doesn't. I commented on the man's failure to make a convincing case for his theory, not the plausibility of the theory itself. He could have worded his "gangplank" idea in several different ways that would have sounded better. In the end, his most persuasive statement is "Just look at the Harlem telephone book, it's more like Edinburgh or the book for the North Uists." Without any further information, all he's saying there is, "It looks like..."

Not a convincing piece of journalism in my opinion.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 6:49:26

Estevan

quote:

Without any further information, all he's saying there is, "It looks like..

Quite so. He is quoted as if saying "this proves it" but all he's presenting is a possible connection that warrants further investigation, and, as you suggest, technical/musical analysis.
I did enjoy listening to the Hebridean psalms, and there's certainly a broad similarity to the "Negro Spirituals" that may have been influenced by them.

For me the most interesting part of the article was:

"I found, in a North Carolina newspaper dated about 1740, an advertisement offering a generous reward for the capture and return of a runaway African slave who is described as being easy to identify because he only speaks Gaelic."

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 10:57:01

gardenshed

Nice try, and the structure of the Hebridean Line-singing is consistent with the structure of the blues, but the blues is much bigger than mere structure.
An equally solid case can be made that the Blues was Born in the valleys of south wales, where the Baptist faith was practised before it was legal, and which was then the brand of evangelicalism most widely imposed on African slaves in America. Not many catholic educated black Americans went on to be notable blues musicians. Billie Holiday, for example.
The little village of Felinfoel in Carmarthenshire, for instance, had the first baptist chapel, and its hymns reflected a history of persecution, exploiting similar keys and intervals to the blues after the fusion with African rhythms and phrasing and experience.
But to get real, the blues was born in the desperate need of a persecuted people, always on the brink of pain, to find comfort and explain their predicament to themselves. Just as flamenco did. And flamenco is, of course, the European Blues.
The creators of the blues were naturally influenced by the music heard all around them, but the blues owes nothing to anyone. And even if it did, it has repaid the debt a million times over by inventing much of modern culture. As Wynton Marsalis says, it is the greatest gift of America to the world.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2010 3:19:51
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post