Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Raimundo Guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ConradP

Raimundo Guitars 

Hi Guys

I discovered a shop with alot of Raimundo guitars. They seem to have the 128P and the 145P. Does anyone here have any experience with Raimundos? Any input will be appreciated.

Kind regards
Conrad Pienaar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2010 23:22:13

Güiro

RE: Raimundo Guitars (in reply to ConradP

Conrad,

I used to own the 128p model about 10 years ago. It was a decent starter guitar. I sold it before I moved to Spain when I upgraded to a Burgut 2f. I don't remember it being anything special but I also don't remember anything negative about it either.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2010 22:28:22

ConradP

RE: Raimundo Guitars (in reply to Güiro

OK but currently, I am practicing and playing all my flamenco or rather fakemenco on this guitar it does seem that guitars constructed for flamenco would be more inspiring?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 9:19:24

Randal

Conrad-

I think you will do well to acquire a flamenco guitar. I've owned and played many Yamahas since my first classical guitar lessons on a fully laminated CG-100, or whatever it was, that was even smashed to bits and re-glued by my brother and still had perfect action. Yamaha have perfected mass production of really decent, durable, and inexpensive entry-level to intermediate guitars. I still own a A/E 150 cutaway similar to yours for performance convenience. But what is important to beginners is to have a good playing guitar with good intonation--tone is a secondary consideration. Yammys are durably constructed and are very reliable--even old ones can survive over the years with proper neck alignment. Some of the old laminated steel-string guitars sound exceptionally good for what they are--I own a couple of these.

But, as an advancing player, you are at a point where tone and perhaps other aesthetic concerns are becoming more important. A flamenco guitar is built much lighter than your Yamaha, produces more resonance, and is far more responsive--this will become immediately apparent to you when you acquire one. It will give you energy because it will produce a tone that you hear in your imagination that is flamenco, you will feel its vibrations, and you will play better. It will also inspire you to practice more. Also very important is that you will hear things in your playing on a good instrument that you did not hear before--lazy technique or execution suddenly becomes apparent in poor tone. A good instrument demands proper technique. One of the skills you develop as a guitarist, along with playing skills, is a sensitivity for the physical and sonic aesthetic qualities of the instrument.

I have tried several of the Yamaha CG-171Fs and, while they are very good for the money, IMO they are more like classical guitars than flamenco. They have a lack of vitality that you will hear in a better flamenco guitar. Like all Asian imports designed and manufactured for the beginner to intermediate market, these instruments are probably built more for durability and reliability--employing heavier bracings, heavier tops, thicker laquers--than for responsiveness.

All the best

http://www.myspace.com/birdtranescoenow

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 12:06:40

ConradP

RE: Raimundo Guitars (in reply to Randal

Randal

Thank you very much for the input. I'm glad you warned me about the 171FS because I could order that in my country for comparatively little. There is a shop close to me with a Raimundo 125 and a Raimundo 160. Do you have any experience with these?

BTW I am working on a lute suite of Bach at the moment. I can't get enough of his compositions.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 12:16:52

Randal

I"ve not played the 125. Raimundo enjoyed a reputation for comparitive quality--I cannot say that they are better or worse than comparable Alhambras, Rodriguez, Cordobas.

But, of the made in Spain entry-level guitars that I've played, I have not been impressed by any of them except for Esteve. Some of them are pretty rough--at least the fit and finish of the Yamaha are consistently produced. Frankly, it's difficult to choose between guitars at this point because, IMO, none of them are really very good-sounding. My choice would be to try to find a guitar that is reasonably responsive and has a flamenco "feel." But most of these should be suitable in that regard compared with your Yamaha.

Also, Aparicio was once touted as a good entry-level guitar.

Conrad, doesn't you guitar have a naroower nut width?... you'll definitely want a wider neck for flamenco and classical. I like my narrow width Yammy for jazz and bossa nova, though.

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 12:29:09

ConradP

Thank you Randal. I did play a Ramirez fl2 yesterday and that was good but about R3000 which is more than $3000. I will try out the Raimundos this week.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 12:35:50

Randal

Well, if you're playing 3K guitars and shopping around for a 125, prepare to be underwhelmed. You may just want to save up and get a really good guitar. Do you have a teacher?... and can the teacher steer you toward a guitar?

Why bother? -John Cage
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 12:41:55

ConradP

I don't have a flamenco teacher but I do have a classical one. I signed up for Jason McGuire's lessons last night.

I just want to get away from the classical sound on my flamenco practicing. I think this would inspire me more.

Sorry correction for the above R3000 should be R30 000.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2010 22:09:49

ConradP

Hi Randall

Sorry for replying so late, I did not read the post properly.

The guitar on my avatar has a very narrow nut width but the Yammy I play has the same nut with as the Raimundo: 52mm.

C
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2010 0:39:36

ConradP

Just an update:

I now own a Raimundo flamenco guitar and I am extremely happy with it. A lot of the frustrations of not getting a flamenco sound from a Japanese classical guitar are gone now!

I am VERY, VERY happy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2010 23:38:26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote