Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ConradP

Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc 

Hello all

I have been playing for about 16 years now but only 2 years of that has been leaning towards flamenco. For this reason, I want to buy my 1st flamenco guitar but it has to be good enough to perform and record with.

Would I be OK using an Alhambra 4f or 5f or mus I definitely go higher?

Kind regards
Conrad Pienaar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 0:43:58

sean65

RE: Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc (in reply to ConradP

Hi Conrad,

I recently had a bad experience with cheap flamenco guitars. Having a pretty decent knowledge of electric guitars it hadn't occurred to me that with acoustic instruments there are no electrics to hide behind so cheap wood and poor construction make all the difference.

The Alhambra 3F I sent straight back to the dealer.

I wouldn't budget for less than £1000 ($1200 US, €1200) kind of price range.

You can get a cheaper guitar that would do the trick but you may not want to keep it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 4:06:55

ConradP

RE: Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc (in reply to sean65

Thank you Sean.

I think I can not afford more than the 7FC though. I am currently in South Africa. It is minimum R16k here which roughly translates to €1.6k. I don't know if they are approximately the same price in the UK?

What bothered you about the 3F?

Kind regards
Conrad Pienaar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 4:38:25

sean65

The 3F I just found uninspiring. Neither flamenco or classical sounding. Little bit boomy and unfocussed. Nicely finished though.

The 7f in the UK sells for about £500 which is about 6k ZAR.

If it plays nice and you're happy with the sound then that's what's important.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 5:14:11

ConradP

Goodness. OK. I'll have to do some thinking. The last thing I want is another crappy guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 5:24:01

buleria74

my opinion, buy a second hand fom Spain, its worth paying shipping.

dont buy fabric made guitars like Alhambra those are for beginners.

whats your maximum budget?.

Flamenco no tiene mas que un escuela, transmitir o no transmitir !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 8:55:03

ConradP

RE: Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc (in reply to buleria74

My Max budget is about 1500 Euro but then I need to get it to South Africa.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 11:24:51

HolyEvil

hi there.. for 1500 euros.. you can save another 500 and get a Eliasson 2A guitar..
and that in american would be about..
(taking a break, just check some online currency convertors.. Euro just dropped! about 30% of it's last years value.. was 1.8=my 1 dollar now it's 1.5 to my 1 dollar..woohoo)
about 2000 US.. you can check out the Navarro guitars that are on lafalseta.com They get good reviews here..

it sucks getting a new guitar.. but maybe you can get a katoh flamenco guitar? it's cheap, sounds alright and the dimension is pretty good..

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 13:55:10

ConradP

RE: Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc (in reply to HolyEvil

OK I'll look into those. I am finding out about cost of bringing one from Europe. A local luthier quoted me R35k which is approximately €3.5k to build me a flamenco guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 20:57:26

ConradP

Another question ,and I am sure this has been asked many times, is if I should go for a cutaway or not. I am only concerned with the sound and playability.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 22:48:12

HolyEvil

i'm a beginner.. and judging from the videos i've seen and the guitars that pple have around here.. I'd say mostly pple who play flamenco have non cutaways.. of course there are some with cutaway.. just the majority i'm talking about..

happy quest =)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2010 2:37:03

ConradP

Hi Guys

OK for those who are interested. I got feedback from Alhambra and the recommend the 5f as the lowest model I should go for if I consider myself intermediate.

Cheers
C
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2010 23:59:25

sean65

I got the impression from your earlier posts that Alambra are charging extortionate money in South Africa.

You may well be better off buying in Europe and having it shipped
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 2:54:10

ConradP

Yes I get that impression too.
I just found out the 3f: +- €800, 5f: +- €1000

There is a local Luthier that claims that his "SmoothTalker" is great for flamenco too. http://www.smoothtalkerguitars.com/ He quoted me +- €1000 to build one that is light and has a flamenco sound and action.
Any opinions?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 3:18:11

sean65

quote:

There is a local Luthier that claims that his "SmoothTalker" is great for flamenco too. http://www.smoothtalkerguitars.com/ He quoted me +- €1000 to build one that is light and has a flamenco sound and action.
Any opinions?

The name was SO BAD that I was forced to take a look. Now that I've looked at them you really don't want to hear my opinion (based on looks).

I was going to say that he needs to go back to the drawing board but on second thoughts, I think he needs to stay away from the drawing board. lol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 4:43:05

marduk

what do people thing of the 3F for a beginner flamenco guitar? i played one and found it to be quite a nice entry level instrument, i am a complete beginner,and i am curious what people think

if i did buy one i would have a luthier lower the action straight away, it was a little high for a flamenco guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 15:32:20

kozz

RE: Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc (in reply to marduk

quote:

what do people thing of the 3F for a beginner flamenco guitar? i played one and found it to be quite a nice entry level instrument, i am a complete beginner,and i am curious what people think

if i did buy one i would have a luthier lower the action straight away, it was a little high for a flamenco guitar

Hi Marduk,
I started also with a 3F and within 3 months I got myself another guitar.
In my opinion the guitar is very uninspiring.
So I took it a level up....and again after a few months I wanted a better one....now I got a Franciso Navarro Concert guitar and thats inspiring.

So if I had all this before I would have gone straight to a good guitar....in the end its a lot cheaper.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 16:52:28

marduk

it would take me a very long time to be able to afford a true inspiring guitar, that is my ultimate goal, but my short term goal is to have something acceptable to practice on in these early times, im still playing a very cheap guitar that i have modified, it has been serving its purpose, but sounds really bad, and i need a short term replacement while im saving for a real guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 18:14:06

ConradP

quote:

marduk

I emailed Alhambra in Spain and apparently the lowest model with flamenco type action is the 5f.

I played on a hand made guitar last night and then I went home and played my Yamaha and then I nearly cried
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 21:06:27

marduk

yeah i know that feeling, even the 3F made me feel like that when i went from it back to my guitar. and i take every oppourtunity to play with my teachers guitars, so i know what a guitar should feel like
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 21:15:57

sean65

quote:

o I took it a level up....and again after a few months I wanted a better one....now I got a Franciso Navarro Concert guitar and thats inspiring.

Hi Kozz,

That's interesting. I'm following a similar path. I had two beginners guitars to choose from the 3f and the C3F (Manuel Rodriguez). I decided on the C3F based on sound. But when I heard it beside an Hnos Sanchis Lopez I became a bit disillusioned.

It was my intention to replace it with a Bernal Prodigio Esp.or Hnos Sanchis Lopez mid range guitar, but now these Castillo Guitars have caught my eye so I may well wait till I have the funds for a Castillo.

Marduk,

It's tricky at that price point. One beginner guitar that I didn't get a chance to try that received good review was a Yamaha CG171SF. That may be worth having a look at.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 21:16:57

marduk

i havnt tried them either, i will play one if i get the oppourtunity. I felt pretty comfortable with the 3f, i am seriously considering getting one and taking it to a luthier to have action lowered, it felt nicer than some other entry level guitars i have played
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 21:31:30

kozz

quote:

Hi Kozz,

That's interesting. I'm following a similar path. I had two beginners guitars to choose from the 3f and the C3F (Manuel Rodriguez). I decided on the C3F based on sound. But when I heard it beside an Hnos Sanchis Lopez I became a bit disillusioned.

Hi Sean,
perhaps there are many people following the same path.
But it is also fun in a way. You get frustrated, want a better guitar, and you'll do some research and gain some knowledge about guitars.
I didn't know nothing about guitars and now just a little bit more, and appreciate good guitars more, and their builders.

Madruk,
good luck with the search, I do not want you to keep of the 3F, but maybe just give it a second thought.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 21:51:59

at_leo_87

quote:

i havnt tried them either, i will play one if i get the oppourtunity. I felt pretty comfortable with the 3f, i am seriously considering getting one and taking it to a luthier to have action lowered, it felt nicer than some other entry level guitars i have played

marduk, i play a c3f. i got mine on ebay for 300 bucks.
there's a video of me playing it if you want to hear how mine sounds.

apparently the sound quality is variable with this model but i like the way mine sounds.

i know how you feel about playing ****ty guitars. for most of my flamenco journey, i played a ****ty classical guitar. but i'm grateful because playing with a ****ty guitar taught me a lot.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 23:13:32

marduk

RE: Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc (in reply to at_leo_87

yeah there is a definate benefit to playing a cheap guitar for a while, i go out of my way to achieve the best possible sound from mine, which forces me to practice my technique.

i am very focussed and practicing full time though, and feel that i am ready to start working with a better guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 23:30:11

at_leo_87

quote:

yeah there is a definate benefit to playing a cheap guitar for a while, i go out of my way to achieve the best possible sound from mine, which forces me to practice my technique.

exactly.

quote:

i am very focussed and practicing full time though, and feel that i am ready to start working with a better guitar

do it! don't settle for anything though. it's worth it to wait and save up for a guitar with a good set up if you need to. it's going to feel soooo good.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 23:38:47

ConradP

RE: Alhambra 3f, 4f, 5f and 7fc (in reply to at_leo_87

I rated you 5 stars! I need to get my right hand to be that good.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 23:47:26

marduk

i have played a Sanchis 33 FL a few times recently, and i definately liked the alhambra over it, quite a bit actually.

i have decided to buy the alhambra, and then start saving for a couple of years, to be truly happy i am probably going to need to spend 10k plus, and i want to wait until i can do a guitar like that justice before i own one

i have considered waiting till i can spend 5k on an entry level guitar, but I realised that the important thing for me to be focussed on, is practice and compas, so i will just get the tools i need for now

thanks for the info and suggestions people
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2010 0:17:07

ConradP

Which currency are you using in the figures you posted?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2010 0:22:51

marduk

australian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2010 6:03:04
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread