Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Adam

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Stoney

There's a quote I like, Jean de la Bruyere apparently (whoever he is). "Those who make the worse use of their time are the first to complain of its shortness."

I'm not even legally allowed to buy a bottle of vino de Jerez in this country (give me a few more months...sheesh), and I've managed to read all but two of Shakespeare's plays. Mostly out loud and acted, too - the best way, I think. And somehow I've had time to practice toque, get a degree in astrophysics (well, if I pass another couple of classes), and many other things as well. And I'm hardly a model of time management, most of my day is quite wasted (literally and figuratively) Anyway, familiarizing oneself with the Bard is one of the things in life most worth making time for.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2010 12:02:20

marrow3

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Adam

Yes, I have been through phases of hard work. And phases of sketching out.

What's the neil young quote:

"I've been first and last but look at how the time goes past"

Then there's the whole song Ballad of the thin blue man by Dylan.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2010 12:16:06

gato

It's a compositional element. You step out side of what is expected you may be viewed as inapropriate, but for art to be real you have to take chances, and really, all compositional elements came in to fashion at one time or another over the years. So flamenco composers had to start using it at some point.

So if you like it you can use it, if you don't like it leave it out, but remember that you have to decide, and if you want to follow some kind of tradition, also remember that tradition is kept and altered by the same proxy. If we did absolutely the same thing all the time the flamenco would be dead, and it is that fluctuation in process in creating musical form that makes us contributing parts or members of the artform.

You can research something and be very careful, do as those around you or drop or add something and make it anew. But to go around limp wristed or haggle over the details means you are not man or woman enough to make a stand and make your contribution what ever the form, element or ideal.

This is what makes survival for an art and we constantly hone or re think our music and return to values and traditions that keep the flamenco strong and alive and recognizeable to all who know it. But it is that temporal process and struggle to make it what we know and what we also can create that makes it art, and makes us artists and contributers to something that is well worth the pride.

Otherwise the flamenco is just going thru motions that we somehow are raising on an alter and worshiping that is overbearing, and unmoveable, stahlid, and dead, after all, it's about what you can work with and then comes the work which is something that flamenco artists are known for that has that personal touch which cannot be duplicated by anyone else.

Gary

Of course how well you pull it off and/or how well you are recieved is another thing all together...........

The Life Everlasting/Oswald Utopia
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2010 13:08:28

Stoney

Hey, this thread took a funny turn due to my "to silencio or not to silencio" title. Cool.

Shakespeare, as compared to say Cervantes (being the Spanish equivalent apparently) has the reputation of being the most sublime author (and / or the most romantic and / or best author of the English language or whatever) for many, many reasons that have nothing to do with economics and globalization. The fact is that people read his works, and not just because of an obligation for credit in High School English class.

Outside of Spain (and I am stretching and assuming here cause I've never visited Spain) the percentage of people who have read Cervantes is minimal. I say this mostly because people in Latin American countries just don't read - period.

This is a lagre part of why the language is deteriorating and why Spanish is slowly becoming corrupted, perverted and Internationalized, - I teach English in Mexico and half the time I end up teaching people correct Spanish. They don't know their own language. Sad.

Shakespeare is part of the process of putting people on the track to reading something more than Pulp Fiction. It should stay that way.

Stoney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2010 5:22:21

marrow3

I recommend One Hundred Years Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombian) and The book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa (Brazilian). And I enjoyed Don Quixote. Though I read only English translations.

Shakespeare is difficult because much of it is medievil English and he made up a lot of words. There would be more straight forward material to aid English learners. Maybe George Orwell, Virginia Woolf, Jack Kerouac, Ernest Hemmingway. Just examples. Doesn't have to be Dan Brown...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2010 11:51:00

Ron.M

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to marrow3

quote:

George Orwell, Virginia Woolf, Jack Kerouac, Ernest Hemmingway.

and "A Dustbin of Milligan" LOL!

Sorry, Marrow......but when things get terribly serious I can't handle it!

I don't know of anyone personally who reads Shakespeare in their spare time.

(Maybe I just have crud friends... )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2010 12:00:36

Ramon Amira

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

I do.

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2010 12:44:17

marrow3

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Ron.M

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2010 12:49:18

Adam

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prominent Critic

quote:

I do.

As do I. It's a shame that reading great literature for pleasure is so uncommon that in many circles it's unheard of.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2010 20:32:33

Ailsa

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to marrow3

quote:

Shakespeare is difficult because ...... he made up a lot of words.

I read yesterday that he was the first person to use the word "puke"

Um sorry.... I appear to have lowered the tone a little....

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2010 23:53:10

Escribano

quote:

I say this mostly because people in Latin American countries just don't read - period.

quote:

I teach English in Mexico and half the time I end up teaching people correct Spanish. They don't know their own language. Sad.

Massive generalisations, Stoney. My wife is Mexican with a TEFL and translation diploma. She speaks better grammatical English then I do and perfect Mexican slang
She'll back you up on how badly most of her students in Mexico City spoke Spanish though. She also reads English books voraciously. Maybe an exception that proves the rule?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2010 1:37:52

Gummy

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Ailsa

quote:

I read yesterday that he was the first person to use the word "puke"

Um sorry.... I appear to have lowered the tone a little....

SImon,
Only a few people here ever mention their wives. Those who do seem to have found very special ones. It seems that you all married up and way out of your league:
You (Young brainiac who may respond to the name carrot)
Ricardo (beautiful dancer, part time cameraman)
Jason M (beautiful dancer)
Todd(Reportedly a young woman of great patience and sense of humor)
This may make a fun thread on it's own.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2010 4:39:21

Escribano

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Gummy

quote:

Only a few people here ever mention their wives. Those who do seem to have found very special ones. It seems that you all married up and way out of your league:

Not so young I am afraid but probably a bit brainy - Microsoft tests me all the time. Yeah, carrot is special - she better be... the trouble I went to to get where we are and the horrible year I just went through to keep a roof over our heads

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2010 5:35:25

gj Michelob

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Gummy

quote:

SImon,
Ricardo (beautiful dancer, part time cameraman)
Jason M (beautiful dancer)
Todd(Reportedly a young woman of great patience and sense of humor)
This may make a fun thread on it's own.

I once started a thread "awesome news, my wife likes my music"

Regrettably, however, she does not like the Solea that I -because of her hostility- am still working on for the Competition Challenge.

Picking up where Escribano left, of all numerous circumstances when I appreciated the critical importance of my wife’s role in my life, outstanding was the precarious time when I found myself clientless, insecure about my future and ability to build one. The confidence and optimism she inspired in me then still hold my head straight today. 20 years after we first met, I am still desperately in love with my “mamacita”.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2010 6:02:20

Adam

The conversation thread:

Silencios
Shakespeare
Wives

I'm not sure how that works
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2010 7:24:05

Gummy

RE: To Silencio or Not to Silencio (in reply to Adam

Yeah, silencio and wives usually does not go together unless you are in trouble
Sorry about the tangent.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2010 7:51:15

Estevan

quote:

people in Latin American countries just don't read - period.

Then this is a mystery:
Book piracy is a vast industry in Peru

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2010 8:54:29

Stoney

quote:

people in Latin American countries just don't read - period.

Yes, that was a generalization. If I am wrong and they are reading in droves in the Latin American countries I haven't visited I retract my statement.

What I have seen in my travels from Canada to Honduras via rail and bus and from my 12 years living in Mexico is -

The younger generation including professionals rarely read more than one book every year.
The older generation - those that were lucky enough to learn to read at all are likely to read more, be it the bible or pulp fiction cowboy novels.
I have never seen more than one person reading at a time on the bus.
I have never seen my co workers read on their lunch breaks, nor have I seen them bring a book with them to work nor carry one where they go.

As for the Pirate market in Peru - interesting article. Thanks for that. An anomaly as far as I can see.

Stoney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2010 9:44:22

gardenshed

You have to do a silencio, if only for the dramatic change of lighting.
Give them a show!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2010 0:07:40
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote